emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• Igor Bystrov was the man behind Parks. Igor passed away June 21st, 2016. We are extremely saddened by Igor's untimely passing. His music resonated deeply with listeners - a unique combination of ambient, emotional soundscapes, atmospheric IDM and textured electronica. To celebrate Igor's music, we wish to offer for the forseeable future his two releases on Infraction (Hidden & Umber) as free downloads. However, any download funds contributed will be sent directly to Igor's family. Rest in peace friend.

(Huh, thought I had posted this a little while back but apparently I hit "save draft" - posting it now for reference.)

• Kollektive 1

by Various Artists

Free at bandcamp.

In the first edition of Kollektive we bring you music from Iran, Mexico, Ukraine, Greece, France, Russia, Netherlands, U.S, U.K and Canada

• I though I'd post this here too because they are certainly free and they are excellent. 

I look forward to exploring more from this interesting label - Alina Records.

Speaking of Marta Sainz, I also found this at FMA.

the investigation of sound has led marta sainz to develop her work beyond using just her voice – the butoh dance practice has also been fundamental to her search for and within “chaos.”using both her voice and body, her work refers to both elements of german expressionism as well as artaud’s theater of cruelty. she seeks to create an emotional shock for the spectator, as they are confronted with their own experience of her performance, without implying that the musical content or performance have any specific meaning or intent itself.
  • edited August 2016
    Aquarium Drunkard has a free track + interesting little write-up on the recording of that newly released 1954 Barney Kessel live disk

MH-8007_Cover_400
  • A free twelve track compilation from Joe Bonamassa, covering his career, available at https://jbonamassa.com/
  • Thanks Greg look forward to hearing this
  • edited October 2016
    If there is room in your life for a 109-track, more-than-11-hour, free album sampling fifteen years of releases on the taâlem label, and including names like Aidan Baker, 
    Mathieu Ruhlmann, Daniel Menche, Yui Onodera, Ben Fleury-Steiner, Celer, Chihei Hatakeyama, Simon Whetham, etc, this link is for you.

vijftien années - a taâlem sampler

(This and some other recent finds courtesy of http://www.ambientblog.net/)

•  
    25 february 2010, kings place, london. 5 live songs, features the isan dripsophone in action.

•  
    - "Mapping Stockhausen was commissioned by and presented at Steim Amsterdam on 27 August 1996. I have never performed the work since and found this in my substantial Scanner archive of tapes. This is a live recording from a VPRO broadcast.

The piece bridges the abstract and the rhythmic. I found my notes that I made at the time for a presentation I presumably gave before the performance where I spoke about: "the merging of parts - 'the bridge' - the penetrating FLOOD SOUND / the subjective centre / untransformed, transposed, modulated / found objects / the interruption of the 'personal' into the music / Reconfiguring the ether sound.' And much more :-)"

The piece itself closes with a rather sweet recording of Karlheinz Stockhausen himself, since the previous year he'd spoken about my own work on the BBC radio:

"He is very experimental because he is searching in a realm of sound which is not usually used for music...he has a good sense of atmosphere."
    - Karlheinz Stockhausen - Radio 3, August 1995
  • edited December 2016
    For those that have a Windows 8 or better device and a Microsoft account (remember that XBox Music giveaway 2 years ago?): Microsoft has 9 free Christmas albums available for today only: Link

Available Digital Albums
    Vince Guaraldi: A Charlie Brown Christmas (Remastered & Expanded Edition) Free (Pictured)
    Boris Karloff: How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Original Soundtrack Free
    Ariana Grande: Christmas Kisses Free
    Justin Bieber: Under the Mistletoe Free
    Rod Stewart: Merry Christmas, Baby (Deluxe Edition) Free
    The Jackson 5: Ultimate Christmas Collection Free
    Mary J. Blige: A Mary Christmas Free
    Various Artists: A Motown Christmas Free
    Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Dreams of Fireflies (On A Christmas Night) Free

(I read about it here)

• Thanks Luddite. This worked on my Win7 desktop - I got the Motown set. I'm sure there's a way to DL more than one track at a time, though I haven't found it yet...
  • Kill Rock Stars MP3 Party at eMu. 23 free tracks. 
  • edited January 2017

Best of Bureau B 2016 – 24 free downloads!

26! Believe it or not: We've released 26 records in 2016! Eight brand-new releases and sixteen reissues. Our playlist gives you the chance to listen to one track from 22 releases. And what's even better: You can download each song. For free. Now how cool is that? Enjoy!
    Compilation release date:
    3 January 2017
  • edited January 2017
    @Brighternow, your Bureau B link did not work for me - it said it was a private list, so maybe from within your account. But I found it at this address. Thanks!
    Many thanks for the Rhizosphere.
  • It seems like they have changed the url from 22 to 24
  • edited January 2017

- From this album
  • hype williams- guccistreams2:

https://archive.org/details/guccistreams2_201701

And Chalice:

https://archive.org/details/Chalice

Just showed up on Internet Archive; 32 minutes of little instrumental vignettes; idk if it's really hype williams (Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland) or what but it sounds great to me. Anybody with any interest may want to jump on it though; the hype williams people tend to put stuff up and pull it down in a flash.

• Illuminations (The New Year 2017 free compilation) by Various Artists
    Dronarivum

Giulio Aldinucci, offthesky, Aaron Martin, Dag Rosenqvist, Elegi, Wil Bolton, Christopher Bissonnette, Maps and Diagrams, The Green Kingdom, Autistici, and many others. 28 tracks.

Free, no email needed.

• Singles from upcoming album + some live stuff over at Noisetrade
  • edited June 2017
    Lots of good stuff as ever at the Live Jazz Lounge, including some things that are not jazz, but I thought this would interest some folk here:

Download for free here.
  • Thanks Germanprof, another good one

• Life in the Sugar Candle Mines

Good one on Northern Spy from a few years ago. Gerald Cleaver is always into something interesting

• edited June 2017
    Autumn Leaves  Various Artists
    Three CDs' worth of field recordings by various artists, in MP3 or FLAC, a sampler from Gruenrekorder
    (Seems like this should have been posted before but I can't find it)
  •  
    People Like Us - No One Is An Island

• Cross-posting this here, 'cos I am enjoying it:

Free at the archive.