emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• Once again, taâlem has compiled a free end-of-year pay-what-you-can compilation, Homework - year 3: 60 previously unreleased ambient/drone/experimental tracks by taâlem artists, almost 9 hours of music. Previous years are also available on the label's bandcamp page.

here's the complete list of contributing artists (in alphabetical order) for vol 3:

.cut, a wake a week, aidan baker, andrea marutti, arash akbari, artificial memory trace, bardoseneticcube, celer, cendre ogata, chihei hatakeyama, cinema perdu, compest, cyanching wu + david velez, désaccord majeur, edward ruchalski, emerge, enrico coniglio, escallon + isaza, exportion, flavien gillié, goose, hirotaka shirotsubaki, hum, i: wound, ieva, ingeos, james p. keeler, jérémie mathes, linear bells, mark bradley, mathieu ruhlmann, michiru aoyama, modelbau, moljebka pvlse, murmer, nigel samways, nimh (giuseppe verticchio), orphax, philippe lamy, pholde, pleq, ply, pollypraha, rhucle, ryosuke miyata, sabri meddeb, saito koji, seki takashi, sleepland, somekilos, strom noir, summons of shining ruins, tainnos, tarkatak + a thousand vows, tomasz mreńca, tomonari nozaki, tone color, tzesne, vance orchestra, and yannick franck.

• Unknown Tone Records just released Vol. VI (Various Artists 2018), NYOP check it out here. Includes 3 pieces by Olan Mill, among other artists.

• Projekt Records just added Earth Luminous, name-your-price download + $10 CD sale by Erik Wøllo and Byron Metcalf to Bandcamp, check it out here.

For the next week, EARTH LUMINOUS is name-your-price and you can purchase the CD for $10.

• Thanks @burntwoodfactors for the posts, they're much appreciated.
  • Thanks also, nice to start day with.
  • I Might have posted these before somwhere . . . from a DEMOS&UNRELEASED list

Thet at Emusers
  • From Projekt, free/NYOP for an email address:

2019 is the 20th anniversary of vidnaObmana's Landscape in Obscurity. It is now remastered and available as a name-your-price download at the Projekt Bandcamp page. We're grateful for your years of support of Vidna's music, and are pleased to make this album available to say 'thanks.' It's a wonderful time to rediscover this longform drifting ambient exploration.

• edited April 2019

Free sampler of material from Dynamophone, some nice tracks. Some ambient, some low-key beats, the occasional vocal. Free for an email address.

• edited June 2019

Maurice G Dantec et Richard PINHAS=) SCHIZOTROPE and HELDON 2000 "ONLY CHAOS is REAL
    Written by Maurice G Dantec
    Music and production Richard Pinhas
    prise de son RAMLSES/PARIS -1999
  • Autechre have put a batch of tracks [~1Gb of WAV] up for free following the WARP 30th anniversary radio shows on NTS at the weekend:

The radio shows are also all available for download [~3 Gb in total], albeit in low bit rate mp3, at:

• edited June 2019
    ^^ Nice ! . . . Thank you.

As featured during Warp’s 30th anniversary broadcast on NTS Radio.

Autechre really know how to treat their fans. After debuting two hours of unreleased material from their ’89 – 93 archive during NTS Radio’s WXAXRXP broadcast over the weekend, Rob Brown and Sean Booth have shared the entire mix for free.
    Head over to the Autechre’s Bleep store page to grab the free download. Warp Tapes 89-93 features unreleased early material that shys away from the more experimental tendencies of their recent output in favour of simpler production and big tunes. One for the heads.

- Factmag.

• Part of the Endangered Archives Project of the British Museum, "'Odeon' label shellac discs were issued in India between 1912-1938. The company produced over 2,000 titles of north and south Indian music. About 600 titles [1,200 songs] have survived and are with private collectors." There are 1404 recordings now available.

However, I cannot figure out how to listen to anything on the site (I made an account, still no love). I am willing to move to a small village in England if necessary.

• Interesting... it worked for me in Chrome but not Firefox, trying it in a new Firefox profile worked, not too sure what is getting blocked to cause the problem...
  • edited August 2019
    2 free/NYOP downloads from jarguna
    From Sam: You might wonder why I regularly give away downloads from this amazing Italian electro-ambient-drone artist. Why isn't Projekt trying to get every possible penny from the albums we release? The answer is pretty simple — I want people to hear Jarguna's work. I love the music he creates, I listen to it for hours and hours over here; it's a perfect fit for fans of Projekt's ambient side. Ok, but that doesn't explain why it's free. I find that any price point is an obstacle to people checking out new music from artists they aren't familiar with. There's so much available these days, it's hard to get people to listen. Giving the music away allows Projekt and Jarguna to add something nice to your listening space where you can give the music time to work it's magic on you.

That's why I do it!
    Jarguna is Italian ethno-organic-ambient sound-artist Marco Billi. Prospettive Animiche is intimate and minimalist with deep ambient characteristics. “I made this music,” Jarguna reflects, “by playing the instruments as if I were creating a mantra; what arose is a sound spiral for electronic meditation, drones for an emotional exploration, deep, low, slow, sometimes repetitive with refrains imbued with sacredness.”
    Ok, there's another reason I give albums away. Many of you are fans of the art of music, you understand it costs money (in time & energy) to create this work, and you're generous and you want to support people who've dedicated their lives to creation. Thus, when getting a free download, many of you put in a donation. It doesn't have to be a lot. A dollar. Five dollars? It adds up. That's money Jarguna and Projekt split, so we can keep releasing great music.

Here's something you might not know. Prospettive Animiche is Jarguna's 26th  release! That's a lot of wonderful music in 13 years.

• Don't remember seeing it mentioned, but tracks from King Crimsons 50th Anniversary tour are slowly getting released. Links from the tour date section, and news articles for the release of each group, on DGM Live. I expect them to change to the usual download price at some point.

• Two of Tomasz Bednarczyk's (of New Rome) albums are NYOP on bandcamp:

•  Not quite free, but NYOP at Bandcamp
  • Thanks Greg, just downloaded this. Was in Singapore when all the news broke, late night in bar and on the TV comes N17, bloke next to me asks why smiling and had to explain that its really near to where I live. 

• Originally released as a limited 2CD edition in a PANTONE printed 6-panel gatefold sleeve with two inlay cards. SCALE features exclusive pieces by
    Akira Rabelais
    Catherine Christer Hennix
    Crys Cole and Oren Ambarchi
    France Jobin
    Jim O'Rourke
    Kassel Jaeger
    Leyland Kirby
    Motion Graphics
    Stephan O'Malley
    Thomas Brinkmann
    Toshimaru Nakamura /Will Long /Stephan Mathieu
    released October 11, 2018
    132 minutes of audio

Free, no email required.
  • Very many thanks for the heads up on this one. Just finished a zine for Franks APA on deadline day after a grueling week and was able to chill with this, lots of nice sonic textures.

• Steve Roach / Vidna Obmana’s 1999 release was an ultra-immersive 3CD collection subtitled “Meditations For the Millennium.” With the intention of creating a place of solace for what they were sensing with the approaching year 2000 and beyond, the three and a half hour work feels especially potent and nourishing when revisited today. Available as a limited edition of 2000, it quickly sold out and remains a popular title with Roach/Obmana fans. To celebrate 20 years, Projekt makes Ascension of Shadows a name-your-price download here at Bandcamp for a limited time.

• Bill Evans Trio, Paris 1976. Excellent recording from the  Big-O

• Merry Christmas everyone!

Hope you’re all having a good festive break, in case you missed it here’s a little reminder about our annual free seasonal compilation: Two Syllables Volume Sixteen.

• LINE just released LINEmix5 by VARIOUS ARTISTS mixed by Richard Chartier, check it out here.
    Lots of good names on here.
  • edited February 2020
    tʌntrə II by Various
    Second free-for-an-email/NYOP compilation release3 from the Neotantra label. The first one was excellent. Ambient/drone.
  • Well, there's quite a few Nels Cline & friends available at archive.org including these

Nels Cline Live at Elk Creek Cafe & Aleworks on 2019-04-06

Nels Cline Live at Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse on 2019-02-17