emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• Julian Lage, of all guitarists, in that second show. Looking forward to hearing that unexpected pairing, thx @confused  

• Most welcome, when I get them all sorted out I'll spend a day with them too!
  • Neal Morse (The Neal Morse Band, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Flying Colors) has put out a free compilation album of hope-themed songs as a contribution to the current times. I have not listened to all of it but what I have heard so far is live, acoustic takes of Morse songs, and quite good. If you know Morse's stuff there are some nice different takes on songs. If not, this is not exactly representative of his usually proggier music, but it's a free download at his site.

I’ve tried to interject elements of hope in my music for as far back as I can remember, so we have made a special album of songs from my entire catalog, accenting the uplifting and affirming, to help you navigate these unchartered waters with peace and blessed assurance... My deepest desire is that you will find something in these songs — a word, a phrase, a concept — that you can latch onto and will help you and your family through this season.
  • Everything seems to be NYOP. Excellent Alexandre Navarro and Sven Laux EPs. Still checking out everything else

• NYOP sampler 

• Thanks Doofy, on the list now to be played this week.
  • @Lowlife I played that Matsuli compilation last night...2 very enjoyable hours long

Nine Inch Nails have posted two free albums for their fans, which is pretty a nice thing to do. https://www.nin.com/ Downloads are delayed due to demand, but streaming link is here: https://nin.lnk.to/GhostsYT
  • Doofy said:
    @Lowlife I played that Matsuli compilation last night...2 very enjoyable hours long

Nine Inch Nails have posted two free albums for their fans, which is pretty a nice thing to do. https://www.nin.com/ Downloads are delayed due to demand, but streaming link is here: https://nin.lnk.to/GhostsYT

Thanks, Doofy! I was able to download the albums--didn't work at first, so I tried the old trick of clicking the link but then waiting to actually hit save for about 5 minutes (I have my browser set to pop up a dialog box asking me where I want to save something, rather than automatically saving it in my download folder), and then when I finally clicked "save" it downloaded right away. YMMV.
  • @burntwoodfactors I have no link to click! Stuck on an 'authorizing payment' screen. Will re-try at some quieter time
  • Doofy said:
    Thanks from me too. I tried again several times this morning but this time revisiting the Email confirmation worked. So happy not to stare at that rolling ball waiting for Spotify to do something.
  • edited April 2020
    Chimpan A (Magenta) - "The Speed of Love E.P."

Top modern prog rock band. Album NYP on bandcamp (the band says it's for free).

Thanks to all of you have given me tips on where to go for Prog Rock on Bandcamp.

https://magenta.bandcamp.com/album/chimpan-a-speed-of-love-e-p-free

• edited April 2020

The Guitar Music of Wall Matthews, vols. 1​-​6 Sampler

by Wall Matthews

Terrific sampler of solo guitar music from a series on the Tompkins Square label

• @Doofy Thanks for the Matthews - enjoying it a lot.

Darren Harper, a favorite of mine on the ambient/drone front, has just released a new EP and made it free/NYOP.

• The Uncanny Times started as a response to the unfolding Corona Virus crisis. Seeing so many people around the world losing jobs over recent weeks, and generally being placed in extremely precarious financial situations has been difficult and we thought it would be good to give some new music to the world and make it available to anyone regardless of their ability to pay.
    We ask that you pay nothing for the download of this album, however if you are able to give something, the artists have contributed a list of charities who are doing good work in their areas through this crisis, so we suggest you give what you might have paid for this download directly to one of the following charities:

• Interesting label sampler that includes some Nik Bärtsch tracks:

Free.

• From the Big-O

Nguyen Le- Celebrating The Dark Side Of The Moon. Live at the Piazza della Riforma, Lugano, Switzerland; July 12, 2018. Very good FM broadcast.

In 2014, Nguyen Le, together with Michael Gibbs and the NDR Bigband, released Celebrating The Dark Side Of The Moon.

• MORE FREE LOCKDOWN MIXTAPES FROM THE ANDY VOTEL / FINDERS KEEPERS ARCHIVE. THE EYE IN THE SKY SAYS WE CANT TRAVEL UNTIL AUGUST 2020 AT THE EARLIEST... BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOUR EARS AND YOUR IMAGINATION CAN'T GO ON A TRIPPPP! //// "A bewitching hour of ALL WAX pre-vamped vintage Hindi horror from the Desi-Dracula's music cabinet featuring rare tracks from Bappi Lahiri, R.D. Burman, Usha Khanna and Sapan Jagmohan" - butchered by resident werewolf Andy Votel.
     //// A SOLID HOUR OF ALL VINYL PSYCHEDELIC SWEDISH MEATBALLS AND UNPRONOUNCEABLE PROGG (WITH TWO G'S) FROM THE DEEPEST CORNERS OF ANDY VOTEL'S BENDING EXPEDITS.... "Jag älskar Swedish Progg"

• edited June 2020
    A recent solo album by Thomas Bodin (keyboardist for The Flower Kings) can be downloaded for free from his soundcloud:
  • @bremble - thanks for this link, excellent! For fans of King Crimson (obviously); the board mix is very nice. Poke around for several other free/NYOP bootlegs, they ahve a couple on the regular Stick Man bandcamp page.
  • Greg Ward has a "Concerto for Jazz Quartet and String Orchestra" at SoundCloud:

• For a few years now, Ostrich von Nipple has often said he has been “down the rabbit hole.” Why? What does it mean? Although more will be revealed in time, I can tell you now that it has been a period of vast experimentation, exploitation, and exploration. Indulging every curiosity to see where it leads. Following a seductive inner voice. Losing oneself in a lifetime of dreams. Head down, letting go, when suddenly it is time to come up for air. Imagine popping your head above ground only to be told to stay home and keep your social distance! Ironic.

After sorting through the mass of “rabbit hole” material, some projects survived, and some were simply let go. Ultimately, “ostrich von nipple sings some for the kiddies”, “ostrich von nipple in wonderland”, and “ostrich von nipple rocks through the ages” were left at the sacrificial altar. This small collection of “cover tunes” are all that remain.

• released June 17, 2020
  • FREE DOWNLOAD
    Eguana - Cosmos Episode 3
    cosmicleaf.bandcamp.com/album/cosmos-episode-3
    #spaceabient #ambient #psybient
    Space is not a safe place, hiding unknown energy fields and in this third episode, space traveler Eguana has to pass through as there is no way back. Feel the tension of the magnetic fields punching the spaceship as tries to keep the balance to keep on his unknown journey.
  • Well, these are free, and they are from archives.org, but...as much as I keep trying my best not to never do wrong, I'm pretty sure these are considered ethically wrong to download. I've been exploring The High Fidelity Emporium to add to or replace some vinyl and recently discovered some recent releases. Most of the albums have wrong album titles, album covers that don't match the contents & usually with a track name as the listing. I forgot to bookmark the pages of what I've downloaded but if you don't mind some minor editing and are OK with downloading something that an artist isn't getting paid for, there's lots of exploring to do. Most recently I found Bob Dylan's Rough And Rowdy Ways. Other downloads include -Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Camel, Rain, Compass, Foghat, Boogie Down Productions.... 

Welcome to the Emporium! Utilizing scripts, requests, and automation, the High Fidelity Emporium consists of many contributed music and sound recordings, traditionally in the compact disc and record format, from the general public. In general, the recordings will be musical, or the music will be of another sphere entirely.

• Earl Howard Superstring Ensemble
    Earl Howard recieved a 2011 Guggenheim grant to create "Superstring", with Wu Wei (sheng, erhu), Alan Jaffe (guitar), Miya Masaoka (koto), Ernst Reijseger (cello), Mark Dresser (bass), Harris Eisenstadt (percussion), and Earl Howard,( Kurzweil K2600) This recording is or Superstring's premiere at Roulette on May 12, 2014.