Google Music Beta

edited June 2011 in General
I received my invite today, so I joined Google's Music service. So far, I like it better than amazon, but only because they gave me a bunch of free tracks in my chosen genres. I am using Google Music on an iPad, in Safari, and it seems to be working fine (Benny Goodman's Sing Sing Sing was a freebie, and is steaming without a hitch). Anyone else sample the service yet?

Comments

• I requested an invitation to google music.
    Also turntable.fm, whatever that is.
  • I received my invite a week or two ago as well. It's been uploading my music catalog in the background while I do other things, though sometimes it is a bandwidth hog and I have to disable it. I think it will take a while to finish uploading everything. I honestly haven't tried it out yet. I skipped the free music. Did you get anything worthwhile* Plong42?

*I know, it's all subjective!
  • I use it almost daily. I love having my entire music collection accessible from my phone.

If you could download from the Cloud, it would be perfect.

I want it to stay free, obv.
  • "Did you get anything worthwhile* Plong42?"

There were several older Jazz tracks, Benny Goodman and Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Cab Callloway, but also a nice Th. Monk track. The pop was an odd mix of classic rock (Heart, Blue Oyster Cult, Elvis The Byrds, Men at Work, Cheap Trick) and some Jam Bands (Tea Leaf Green and Umphrey McGee). And Incubus. Why they foisted an Incubus track on me is a mystery. That's What I like About You, the Romantics was there. I always liked that song for some reason,especially the first five seconds or so. Nice to have a legal copy I suppose.

I also had Classical as a genre, they gave me YoYo Ma, and an Isaac Stern track. I would have thought that was an opportunity to dump alot of old tracks my way for free.

The thing is a bandwidth hog, even when I throttled the bandwidth to 128K it still seems to take more than its share. Another issue is that the player is broken in Firefox 4, at least with my combo of flash suppression. I switch to an IE tab and there are no problems. Works on the iPad fine, although the controls are almost two tiny to use. BTW, to move through your music on the iPad you need to "two finger swipe" up and down in order to move things. (that sounds like something that normally gets you slapped, but it does work!)
  • Okay thanks, Plong42. I may have to see if there is a way to still get any free tracks.
  • edited June 2011
    Installed the Google player and as luck would have it also got a big load of Windows automatic updates shortly thereafter.

Long story short now my 64 bit quadcore Windows Home 8 meg of ram computer is now exceptionally sluggish

Who's to blame here?

Google said I had over 9000 tracks is it possible that it is still uploading my tunes to the cloud in the background and hogging resources
  • @JUJ - I suspect that could well be the case, but I'm no computer expert
  • @jUj - Almost definitely. My main complaint so far is that the upload process is pretty long and resource intensive. I really wish Google had bought Lala. If you double-click on the headphone icon in your system tray it'll tell you what it's doing. You can throttle the uploads and even set it to manual instead of automatic.
  • @Thom "My main complaint so far is that the upload process is pretty long and resource intensive."

I agree, but it is less of a problem since I told the uploader to stop looking for music. If you let it look in the MyMusic directory, it will bring your system to its knees. I manually uploaded a few times just to test the service on the iPad. And there are alot of things in my normal music directory which I do not really need to put in the Cloud. (Legally or otherwise!)
  • You can throttle down it's bandwidth use or quit it all together if you're downloading a large file. I do wonder (and am a little scared to think about) how many hours and days it will take to upload my 20,000 song library if I don't leave my computer on all the time.
  • I really wish Google had bought Lala.
    Is this for the music-matching bit? Lala's streaming licenses didn't extend to any buyers, so that wouldn't have helped Google there - if Google hasn't wrangled streaming licenses from the labels yet, it wouldn't be any different if they had bought lala.
  • Yeah its still there running in the background.

24 hours later 178 of 9600 completed. This is gonna be a long ride.

Thanks you can throttle it back a bit, and a few other controls, nice.

Anybody got any thoughts on optimum settings for massive upload while still trying to do other things with your computer.
  • "Anybody got any thoughts on optimum settings for massive upload" - I have a 160GB iPod, and took me at least a year to fill it up, and I still have to decide what gets deleted when I want to add a few new things. I am going to only add things to Google Music an album at a time rather than a mass exodus, mostly because I do have other work to do with my computer.

IMHO, Audio Galaxy is the best streaming option, even if it is a "personal cloud." If I leave my computer on, I can stream hundreds nearly a terabyte from by external HD. And it scrobbles.
  • Amazon cloud starts you off with 5 GB free

Verizon has 25 GB of storage for 3 bucks a month

But I don't see anything about storage limits for the Googster
  • I have a 160GB iPod, and took me at least a year to fill it up
    That's a pretty long sync time! :)
  • Google is free (for now, perhaps) and you can store 25,000 songs.
  • "That's a pretty long sync time! :)"

I spent a month trying to get it to sync with my C64. I did upgrade from the Vic-20 + tape drive I had been using. I meant, a little everyday, etc.
  • OK so now I have 400 tracks in the cloud but my Android phone does not see them there it only sees the music I already stored on the phone

How do you, ahem, make it rain, so I can stream my music into thru my phone
  • Did you download the Android app in the upper right corner of the google player? That's all the input I am good for, as I have no droid.
  • edited July 2011
    Here I am, still waiting for an invite to Google Music.

Meanwhile, I got an invitation to turntable.fm and blew the better part of an entire day & night on that site. OMG. They have a mashup room and I stumbled into a few other fun rooms, as well as the musicgourmets room that led me there. When people like the song you play you get DJ points and different levels of points unlock different avatars. My misspent day resulted in 100+ DJ points. The folks with gorilla & mickey mouse avis must have blown a whole week there. (because it can't possibly be my taste in music ; )
    Great place to listen to full tracks and discover new music!

Last night, somebody on there sent me an invitation to Google+ which is going to kill facebook, from the brief 10 minutes I spent with it.

But no Google Music for me!
  • I want Google+.
  • Well, I'll be happy to forward you the invitation I got and you can see if it gets you in.
    You need a gmail addy to sign up.
  • Thanks. I sent an email to the hotmail address listed on your profile.
  • Google seems to be the new Microsoft.

They are sucking all the profit out of everything by giving it away for free. All of their would be competitors wither on the vine trying to figure out how to charge for stuff the googster not only does 10 times better but gives it away.

And Yes MrV I downloaded the proper app in the Android market but it doesn't see the music I put into the cloud.
  • Kenny, Lost quite a few hours over a turntable. give it a try. Make sure to let images load in your gmail and click on the red box.

JUJ, yah I know. If they start charging we'll all be up a creek.

Not sure if I should just post the invitation URL here?
  • Not if they start charging but when they start charging
  • Turntable sounds interesting. Their question to get an invite is not.
  • edited July 2011
    I thought it was funny ;) but I watched the clip. Just friend me on facebook, Katrina Badmaax

and then this link should get you in
    http://turntable.fm/music_gourmets
  • ooooh. Finally got the google music beta invitation!
  • Le sigh.

We're very sorry, but while we would love to let you in and rock out with us, we need to currently restrict turntable access to only the United States due to licensing constraints.

We are working very hard to try and get you in as soon as possible.

If you believe this is a mistake and you are located in the United States, please e-mail help [at sign] turntable dot fm

Again, sorry, and we hope to see you soon.

Billy Chasen
    CEO

OTOH, this is what VPNs were invented for ....