Google Music Beta

Comments

• I quit trying to upload everything, it was too much of a slow painful crawl. Amazon was better, but I still had 99 days worth of uploads. Then Spotify came along and stole my heart.
  • My google upload was hung up and confused. I email google support and they advised me to uninstall and reinstall the music manager and it is working like a charm now

I have it set for fastest upload and the sluggishness caused to my computer is only slightly noticeable. It is clicking right along now. I let it run all last night and all day today and it is almost half way through about 10,000 tracks.

I recommend you give it another try before giving up on google
  • You're right, JUJ - it's beta software, afer all. I reinstalled and it downloaded a new version. We'll see if it crashes my PC again ; )

Since I logged baack in, it's telling me I have 4 invitations. If anyone wants one, let me know!
  • Whoo hoo

The rooster is in the barn

After several stops and starts, a couple uninstalls, a few reboots, a change of ISP provider and about a solid week of day and night uploading, the upload to Google music is complete.

Nearly 10,000 tracks (minus the 5 that crapped out due to DRM or corrupted files) all safely tucked away in the cloud free of charge (until Google decides to pimp my ass out and charge me for access to my own music).

Until then, this is a pretty sweet deal. Complete and total access to my entire digital collection anywhere me and my smartphone are able to find 4G or 3G signal and even access to a portion of my collection when I cannot get a signal.

All I need now is an automobile with Bluetooth connectivity to my smartphone. Do they have that yet? Maybe Best Buy can retrofit my current car with the necessary accouterments.

Nice
  • jackedUPjazz: I would think Bluetooth would suck your battery dry. I'd go with line in.
  • So...am I reading this right? Now Amazon seems to be offering unlimited storage when you buy their $20 plan. For a limited time, no doubt. I'm beginning to see the appeal on this, but then there is the long upload time--and I'm at 160 GB--plus the near-certainty that my music will eventually wind up in pay jail. (Though that would be a small price to pay is a cataclysmic data failure happened).

And then there's iTunes Match, presumably coming out soonish. I'm inclined to wait, but on the other hand might be nice to get in on one of these offers while they're beta/free or cheap.
  • Doofy

It seems to me that if you are trying to figure out who is gonna try to screw you out of cloud based music collection it boils down to which race horse you want to bet on

I think both Google and Amazon are good bets.

I have never been much of a fan of iTunes but clearly they also have the size and stamina to compete.

This is about who you trust to do the right thing in the long run.
  • The Google's business model is to give away great services, then profit. I think they're the most likely to continue to give me a big chuck of storage for free, with cheap upgrades for more.
  • Update on my uploader problems: It's a known issue that when it's processing a huge collection, the uploader thinks you've hit 20,000 tracks way before you do. Smells like a variable rolling over to me. I think I'll try hiding half my collection, uploading it, then doing the other half. The other question is how to select what is kept in the cloud so I can have the 20K I want in the cloud.
  • edited August 2011
    @JUJ
    After several stops and starts, a couple uninstalls, a few reboots, a change of ISP provider and about a solid week of day and night uploading, the upload to Google music is complete.
    Nearly 10,000 tracks (minus the 5 that crapped out due to DRM or corrupted files) all safely tucked away in the cloud free of charge (until Google decides to pimp my ass out and charge me for access to my own music).

So, it took a week of 24/7 uploading to do 10K worth of tracks? That is a LOT better than back in the day on Mordac when a bunch of us were trying out that MP3 locker service. I hink that service ran for over 2 months to get 20K tracks uploaded. Oh, how far we have come in 4 years, eh?
  • @ Mutex
    It's a known issue that when it's processing a huge collection, the uploader thinks you've hit 20,000 tracks way before you do.

I'm running into that, too. Also, the damn thing started uploading podcasts, which I totally don't want in there and they should NOT be in there. I deleted them, uninstalled, and reinstalled but it's still got tracks used up from before. I've sent 3 emails asking how to clear it out. No answer.

I also am getting duplicate covers of the same album. They did answer that one, which I don't really care about. And anyway my tracks aren't tagged wrong, which is what their reply said. I know that sounds haughty, but I am really OCD about my tags.
  • There are issues with finding all my music on my smartphone. I probably would have just ignored it if it hadn't been Al Green.

Also there is about a 500 count difference between what the uploader says was put in the cloud versus what the online player says is there.

Reinstalled the smartphone music player. Hope this works, at least Al Green is showing up now.
  • @Katrina

I doubt the 4 years has anything to do with it. I suspect Google probably had something similar out in the workshop 4 years ago.

My guess is even with 4 years of practice Mordac would still find a way to screw up it with honors.

I got some podcasts in my peanut butter too. I'm ignoring them for now but it could make for pretty serious awkwardness if I put it on random play while others are listening
  • It's slow going, seems to only be uploading about 1000 tracks per day. At least it isn't causing thermal events on my CPU anymore.
    For a while it was showing 7 Google Music invitataions available, and now it's back down to 3. Maybe one of my songs pissed them off? LOL
  • 7595 of 32,839 added, this is gonna take a while.
  • Wheeeee! 8549 so far.
  • Having your music in the cloud is nice. I haven't used it much with my smart phone yet but I will when the time is right and its gonna be sweet. It stores 15 or 20 albums on my SD card in case I get caught without a signal but otherwise my entire digital collection is always at fingertips
  • Up to 9757 tracks out of 32,837....I haven't reported this bug yet, but it put a bunch of my own albums in the "Free Music" playlist.
    And wait a minute....my total track count has gone UP in the past few days, not down as GMB thinks!
  • 12227 out of 32837 showing on the application.
    The music player browser says 12545. The 7 invitations are back. I had to restart that browser window - it froze up. I wonder if it's gonna crash when it hits 20K tracks?
  • Here's what I've tried:
    Halved music collection - still says at limit
    Uninstall/Reinstall - still at limit
    Halved again - still at limit
    Uninstall/Reinstall - still at limit

I've concluded the problem is on the server side (cloud to you marketing folks). Somewhere, the Goog has stashed the track list it saw when I tried to up the whole collection, and it's choking on it. I could probably get it working by withdrawing from the beta and burning another invite to start clean. I wonder if I could use one of my own invites?
  • Mine is up to 14525.
    Mutex, did you report it? I saw a page where you could send a "me too" message to known issues. Then you could report a problem and aske them that same question....
    I'll do the same when I finally hit 20K.
  • 17171 out of 32836...getting closer to the 20K bomb!
    Music browser shows 17456...off by 285 tracks between the Music Mgr app and the music browser.
    It was off by 318 tracks a while back. Hmmm.
  • Uploading to Amazon, 22,887 qualify, I have managed to move 5270. Why Amazon and not Google? Amazon said I have unlimited storage and I intend to test that theory.

I get about 900 songs a night if I leave the computer on. I ought to figure out how to increase the bandwidth while I sleep.
  • @Katrina, Yes, I reported it. I must presume that there aren't too many people with the issue for it to go on for so long. Either that or it's not a fast, easy fix.
  • 21609 of 32836 added. Hanh? Apparently they are ignoring the 20K track limit? Well, cool!
  • As folk seem to be gathering some experience with this now, is anyone who has looked at both ready with opinions about Google versus Amazon versus other solutions? I've been kind of watching some of you test the waters before trying anything.
  • edited September 2011
    Amazon's Music Cloud Player seems a little easier to get going. Log in and play. I actually wanted to try Google Music Beta this morning at school before class and it could be that it is showing an album that is not totally uploaded, but at any rate I kept getting an error message and no music. It could be because I like to use Anchorfree's Hotspot Shield when I'm on a shared wireless network and/or my school's sometimes lackluster wifi. I've had no trouble getting to work on my apartment's wifi.

I also haven't tried to upload any files to Amazon.
  • edited September 2011
    If you did not see it, Google Music Beta has a new "music discovery blog", with a "song of the day" feature. Today's is The Raveonettes, “Recharge & Revolt.” Click on "add" and the song is automatically added to your google music collection, not unlike a purchase in Amazon going directly to your cloud. Scroll down and add all the previous songs of the day, including Jimmy McGriff, "Big Booty Bounce," classy title if there ever was one. I am listening to it now, funky organs indeed. [Edit: They have a "free music archive" as well, looks like the sort of thing they gave away when you signed up for google music beta in the first place.]

Another Google news update, there is now an HTML 5 version which works fine on an iPad. I did notice a lag between adding songs via Magnifier and the song appearing on the HTML version. They are immediately available through my desktop browser.

I need a last.FM hack, though.
  • Answering my own question, Daniel Slaughter has a script for firefox which scrobbles Google.Music. I am listening to Alhaji K. Frimpong* on Google music and it is scrobbling to last.FM.

*From Awesome African Tapes.
  • edited September 2011
    <http://magnifier.blogspot.com/&gt;

Cool! Thanks for this link!