Google Music Beta

124»

Comments

• After several restarts, and telling it to sync a different folder and then changing back to the original one, it's at 27217 of 33025.
    The web page says 27530.
    Hah. I have forgotten why I am even doing this.
  • I got all excited when I read Katrina's post and fired up the music mangler. Still says I'm over the 20K limit when pointed at a 5K track directory. 2131 tracks in the player. I tried the trick of switching directories. For my trouble, I got the message that those tracks wouldn't be added either.
  • edited September 2011
    30823 of 33000. I also had to turn off sharing on that particular external drive, and I enabled indexing. I know, I know....too many changes at once to tell which one worked. I think it was the sharing, though, that was making GMM hog the CPU before.

The web page doesn't have the # of tracks any more - haha - so I gues I can quite obsessing about that not matching what the app says.

It seems to have reached the Vs today. It's adding all my "Various Artists".
  • Here is a list of Free Songs for Google Music, they add directly into your account. Some of the usual suspects, but there is a tune from The Owiny Sigoma Band, Israel Nash Gripka, Joss Stone, Esperanza Spalding, and many, many more.
  • Clearly, Katrina has hacked GMβ to get unlimited tracks, apparently from my allocation ;)
  • Something is seriously wrong with GMb. I tediously deleted everything but the free tracks. The web player claims I have 20,000 tracks available to upload. Uninstalled the mangler, reinstalled. Pointed it at a small folder with 114 tracks. The mangler says I have space for 1680 remaining. I don't know what else to try. Guess I'll uninstall and reboot before I reinstall. If it's still screwed, I'm done.
  • You might noodle around on the website and find the tech support link. I tried it a couple times with varying degrees of effectiveness but the first couple times I got useful information. But I hope you are a patient man cuz it takes them about a week to respond.

On a more satisfied user note, I downloaded a few tracks from the place that shall not be spoken and GMB picked them up automagically with no effort on my part.

Nice.
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah, they've changed something on the cloud side.
    edit - or maybe it can't handle my upgrade to itunes 10.5? Except I have the option to just upload from a folder, not the itunes player, because the itunes player option was uploading podcasts.

I had quit running it once everything got uploaded, but now it's a few weeks later and I have new tracks.
    The app says 33241 tracks added. The app has dropped the "out of xxxx". Webpage player says 3x585 in the background, near the top right. I can't see the exact number because GET ANDROID APP is covering part of the track count up - the last P in APP.

Yes, there's something seriously wrong with it. It crashed my PC again.
    A bunch of my own songs are listed in the free songs.
    When I try to change views, most often I get a pop-up saying a long-running script has caused google.com to stop responding.

I'd sent that same question a while back - how to clear things out and start over. Never got an answer. Maybe I'll ask again.

edit - or maybe it can't handle my upgrade to itunes 10.5? Except I have the option to just upload from a folder, not the itunes player, because the itunes player option was uploading podcasts.
  • Oh, and the troubleshooter is flaky, too. First time I ran it, it said it didn't upload 174 tracks because of DRM. Hahaha. I've been uploading the iTunes free songs of the week since 2006 and I have a few more than 174 protected tracks. I made a playlist in itunes and it said 1074 protected tracks.

Funny, running the GMB troubleshooter a 2nd time, it came up with 1074 DRM tracks.
    7 with no music in file.
    1 unsupported format.
  • For those using the service, there are two free songs from the new Merle Haggard album and a nice collection from Beethoven, from the 7th and 8th symphonies. To balance that, Russian Circles has one song, the band is described as "instrumental metal trio" from Chicago. So, not from Russia, and as a trio they could never be a circle. But the Chicago Triangle sounds lame, I guess.
  • edited October 2011
    Russian Circles had a great debut album and have been to my ear a bit disappointing since.
  • Got an email. Google Music is out of beta. Hmmm.
  • The new google music site has lots of free music, which I assume won't last. I admit I'm not the brightest bulb on the xmas tree (seasonal metaphor!), but I'm having difficulty figuring out if I can get music to use anywhere other than through google or an android app. I can't find anything on their site that addresses this, and when I try to click through to a page to allow me to ask google, it doesn't work! Maybe I should ask jeeves! It won't let me download free songs without a credit card, and I'm hesitant to give that to them without knowing if I can use the service.

What I want to do is download music to my computer, save it in itunes and put it on my ipod, just like I've done in the past with emusic, itunes and amazon. Anyone here used this service today can help or point me where to find information? Thanks.
  • edited November 2011
    "All songs and albums sold on Android Market are 320kbps MP3 music files. You can stream your music through the Google Music player on any web browser or your Android phone or tablet. You can also download the file to your computer, burn it to a CD, archive it on your hard drive, and so forth -- so long as it’s for your own personal, non-commercial use."
    http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?&answer=1738509

First glance at that free songs list I'm seeing stuff that has been emusic download of the day and free tracks at Amazon - not sure if there's much there beyond the kinds of promo tracks available elsewhere.

Also kind of bemused by:
    "Get started with this playlist of our most popular tracks, and then dig deeper with some of your other favorite genres:
    > Rock
    > Country
    > Pop/ Hip Hop"
    So my favorites have to be in those four genres?

Hmm, it does seem that way. There are some older free tracks, but incredibly limited in selection from what I can see.
  • Well, based on my first little spell of time exploring, I can't say there's anything at the Google music store that I've found so far to make me want to visit again. Prices on all the albums I checked (admittedly a small sample so far) are higher then amazon (and much higher than emusic, who, for all that they claim too much, still are usually somewhat cheaper). Finding things except by direct searching is cumbersome. Genre designations are limited. No apparent recommendation engine. Another cloud, but Amazon has one. Unimpressed so far. If others are finding bargains or delightful features I'm missing please do tell, because really I would love this to turn out to be another great place to find stuff rather than just a yet more impersonal place to part me from my money.
  • Thanks for that link GP. I was looking all over the site but somehow managed to miss that page!
  • I know it's not beta anymore, but just saw that there are now several iOS apps for streaming music from Google Music: http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/app_showdown_google_music_players
  • Please consider this a public service announcement

You that whole backup your files periodically thing. Yeah, make sure you do that.

My external hard drive just crapped out, you know, the one with all my music files on it, yep gone. And it appears that the last backup was conducted in 2010. Sigh!

No worries though, I am downloading my entire music collection from the Google cloud onto my backup, backup hard drive even as we speak. (Back ups to the back ups style).

Thanks Googster, you're incrediburgable. This is way f**kin cool.

Now if I could just figure out a way to download only the songs that are not already backed up on this drive so that I don't have to have a third duplicate set of music taking up space on this hard drive.

Still, it was a good day
  • Google announced their All Access streaming service today. Started my free trial today since I regularly use Google Music for listening on the go anyway. Ought to be interesting - but I already shy away from the $10/month charge from other services, maybe the early bird $8/month price will entice me.

I would much rather them work on smart playlists instead.
  • edited May 2013
    Not sure what that link was like when you posted it, but now it's just weird.

3:29 p.m.: Page on encouraging more women to enter the technology field: "We have to start early, and make sure we're getting more young women and girls excited about technology." He adds having an all-male tech industry is a "really bad thing."

3:24 p.m.: Page on negativity related to technology: "People naturally are concerned about change, and not all change is good." He adds that people who love tech may need to go to other areas "and help them improve and understand technology." Page also says more mechanisms for experimentation are needed.

Hanh? It just said the price and nothing about what the service was. Not blaming you for the web page or anything, more like asking where the freaking free link is.
    Since I'm a free music whore.
    I think they changed it since you posted.
  • Try this link, Katrina.
  • About to pull the plug on this one. I am so over Google at this point. I will continue to use an Android phone for the foreseeable future, but they have ZERO customer service and it's getting tired. They obviously have no interest in getting people to "put their music in the cloud" but just used that as a way to get people interested so that they would then subscribe to their music service. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. I want to pay musicians to make music for me, not some big corporation to loan me music someone else makes.

When they announced the end of Reader, I didn't wait, I just exported everything and closed it out. I see the writing on the wall for Picasa, so I uninstalled it and am deleting everything on Picasaweb. Google Music is obviously going to focus on the streaming service, so I just deleted my entire library. I'm even switching all of my browsing back over to Firefox.

Time to get back to trying products that don't try to take all control away from me.
  • edited September 2013
    Yeah, Google seems to be trying very hard to Microsoft itself. They said they weren't going to be evil but it seems like they are hell bent on WOLD DOMINATION.

For months they nagged me to provide them with my cell phone number and I just ignored them. Then a couple months ago they sent me an email basically saying, "OK we know who you really are and we already have all of your information so we are going to combine all of your accounts under one login."

Dude, if I wanted just one account I would have stopped with the first one. Everybody is all up in arms over the NSA spying on them, I am more worried about Google and Amazon.

They basically gave us free cloud storage so they could sell us more music. That seems like a reasonable proposition, but I still have tons of music from the place that shall not be mentioned, that I still haven't listened to. So I have been on a little vacation from music purchases ever since the other place phucked themselves into irrelevance.

With that said, I still hope to maintain my cloud storage with Google indefinitely as it has saved my azz on more than one occasion.

I agree that this arms race to be the sole provider of everything to everybody is quite annoying but deleting all of your stored music from the Google Cloud seems a bit extreme. I hope you don't live to regret that move.
  • Google isn't that cute little startup anymore, is it?
    So what, you're not gonna dive into Chromecast?

Never could get all my music in their cloud.
  • @jUj

If it's your only backup (or just your easiest one) then I wouldn't delete it, but I was only able to upload less than 1/3 of my collection at a time anyway. I've got 2 other backup solutions to make sure I won't miss them in that respect.

I would also recommend that if you've got the bandwidth and the time/money to do a real cloud-based backup solution (like Backblaze or CrashPlan). I personally don't trust anyone who is dealing with licensing/copyright issues to properly backup my files.