iTunes hates me. I think the feeling is mutual.

Comments

• I always fill out artist & album artist.  When I go back and look at the files that read out and those that don't, I can see no difference. A bit confounding - thanks for your thoughts.
  • These are audio or mp3 CDs? Audio only uses CD-Text, right? Could there be inconsistency in how CD-Text is burned? If mp3 and you've compared files, then sounds like player bugginess.
  • Pick two files - one that "reads" and one that doesn't.
    Highlight them individually in iTunes and go to "song info,"
    then click on "file" and compare the two and check for differences.

• Thanks for this tip and the CB image! I'm generally burning them as MP3 files as the "audio" files show no data on my car player.  Did I mention the joy of having seen CB a few times in the early 80s and once w/FZ in 1975?
  • As we have now gone completely electric with our two cars, one old in elctric terms and the other new, neither car has a CD player. When i relaced my iPhone a year or so ago, I bought the largest memory I could then (256 GB) so i use that in my car. The only time the display doesn't work fully is with album art, i think that is to do with the source of the art - eMusic donloads are the least reliable.
  • Huh, I never thought about new cars lacking CD players. That's a drag, I actually like listening to CDs in the car sometimes because I do so rarely at home. No biggie, just hadn't occurred to me about car stereo evolution and market in that respect.
  • Yeah, I started noticing this in rentals about 2016 or 17
    and nowadays, they're practically non-existent. There was a time
    when I would bring CDs and both a keychain flash drive and iPod
    with the iPod winning in the end after years of that forced audio transition.
    A 256GB Touch can hold your personal library or a 10,000 tune Spotify library.
    Of course, there's cell phone, but I don't own one.
    There are Bluetooth and USB CD players available if you're still into them.
  • I actually recently bought a car with an upgraded info/entertainment system, and lo and behold it included a CD player. Must admit I have used it only a couple times, when driving home with latest purchases. I got an iPhone with lots of storage, so most of my car listening is AirPlay these days
  • My comment is more a reflection of using the car as a forcing function to listen to CDs and benefitting from that. My recent cars are all old, with no aux-in or better, so my only option for phone play is using one of those bluetooth/FM transmitters, which has pretty shitty sound all told, which "rewards" retreating to discs. I don't actually have a problem with relying on my phone - more just taking advantage of disc-listening when I'm normally less inclined to.

The real issue is that when I listen to my digital collection, I almost always rely on shuffle. Partly due to its siren song, but relatedly that my listens "pull out" tracks from my smart playlists, so an album play would remove all those album tracks for weeks or months from a subsequent shuffle play. Pedantic playlist management stuff. :-P When I do play an album, I'll often stream it from AM rather than my collection just for that reason.
  • My car audio journey:

2002 Prius with a built-in 6-disc changer and cassette player(?!).
    Soon after getting the car, I had two connecting wires run from
    the radio to inside the center armrest box, so I could use a snazzy
    new invention: the “iPod”(!) It plays thru an unused FM channel.
    Typical FM radio sound. I would still use the 6-disc changer,
    on occasion for a week or two.

When we decided to take our first trip in two years this last October,
    I decided to update my iPod to the latest Touch so I could use Spotify.
    With 256GB, you can actually have 20,000 tunes downloaded to the
    Touch, but Spotify only allows 10,000 max per playlist.
    No problem, that’s plenty of tunes.

Anyway, in my old car that has none of the new fancies,
    I can still plug the Touch into one of my connecting wires
    and play it thru the FM channel. What’s strange is that
    the Spotify tunes don’t really sound like the typical FM
    radio I’d mentioned before - it’s actually like listening to
    CD quality sound, so I’ve been converted and, when
    not listening to discs, I now prefer a self-created Spotify
    playlist on shuffle while driving.
  • edited January 2022
    I always use an iPod touch and a cable in the car via the USB port (the car being just old/basic enough not to have bluetooth). But a couple of weeks ago the stereo stopped detecting the iPod touch (or any other device I plugged in). So now I have to connect via a cable from audio-out to the headphone port on the iPod Touch - still works but I can't change tracks or see what's playing. I'll have to see whether it's cheap to fix.
  • Since I don't have a USB port in the car (USB was only invented 4 or 5 years before for the general tech market - much less auto usage), I was still interested in finding out if I could not only link the iPod, but maybe even have a readout on the screen - but, at the time, no tech person wanted to try to do that in case they screwed it up to where it couldn't be repaired ... so, the solution they came up with worked great and I'm still happy with the outcome.
  • Prof, try a new cable, in case you haven't
  • Yup, tried varying the cable and the device.
  • Has there been a software update from Apple, GP? Anyone know if you get better quality from Bluetooth or connecting via a USB lead. For me the jury is still out, it often feels that Bluetooth can give the best sound, but sometimes it dips out and the sound quality is less. 
  • Maybe, hard to keep track.
  • I have turned off Bluetooth in the car - Strongly prefer to plug in. I never ever want my phone to automatically connect [and play whatever it was playing last] when I start up the car
  • edited January 2022
    OK, has anyone seen this one before? I have this new thing happening on iTunes on my desktop PC where when I play an album, sometimes (not every time) it will play a few seconds of each song then skip to the next and get through the whole album in a couple of minutes without any interaction from me. It also marks the tracks as played even though they did not finish (annoying when I am trying to listen to an album on my "never played" list).
    All songs are locally stored (and I just got fiber internet) so it is not the documented "looking for next song that can be played offline" issue. And the same songs work just fine in other players, so it's not the files.
    I've had a few sync issues lately too - might just be time for a reinstall.
  • Maybe it's easier to just clean up the desktop with some software?
    Don't know what's good for PCs, but I use "Clean My Mac"
    when stuff begins to slow down or act crazy.
  • Shouldn't need cleaning up overall - it's a pretty new computer on Win 10 with a limited amount of other things installed.
  • Gp, not knowing more, it *sounds* like iTunes is trying to play cloud tracks (even if you have local copies), and you're not logged into your account (if applicable), so it's playing online samples. Some configuration setting may be relevant, hard to tell, but I'd check logged-in account status fwiw.
  • edited February 2022
    Didn't have time to dig into this further - I am doubtful it is cloud tracks because (1) I have hardly any cloud tracks (I rarely buy from iTunes and don't use their cloud) (2) I have a decent amount of music not in iTunes' collection so I don't see how it could be trying to play an equivalent track in the cloud and (3) I am logged in and in any case never, ever, ever play music from the cloud.
    But it seems to have mysteriously rectified itself for now after a couple of weeks of replying on Windows media player instead.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • edited April 2022
    Does anybody have any experience with taking a youtube video and converting it to an MP3 file?
    There's a Spiritualized video (acoustic mainlines tour, live in Reykjavík, Iceland) and there is no way to purchase this music.  Strangely (or perhaps not), on the Spiritualized forum, there has been somebody offering a free download of the tracks (in .rar file form) and the link is still out there, so apparently the Spiritualized people are okay with this.  But I've searched everywhere for a place to purchase it and I've given up.  I want to download this youtube video to MP3 format and then just paypal the Spiritualized account $50 for this beautiful music.  (I don't trust the dude's .rar file)
  • Google 4K YouTube MP3. It can capture video but it's fine for getting YT videos as MP3s "for review purposes". There's a free version which although it likes to update regularly doesn't seem to bloat - though I'm no expert in these things.
    jonahpwll said:
    Does anybody have any experience with taking a youtube video and converting it to an MP3 file?
    There's a Spiritualized video (acoustic mainlines tour, live in Reykjavík, Iceland) and there is no way to purchase this music.  Strangely (or perhaps not), on the Spiritualized forum, there has been somebody offering a free download of the tracks (in .rar file form) and the link is still out there, so apparently the Spiritualized people are okay with this.  But I've searched everywhere for a place to purchase it and I've given up.  I want to download this youtube video to MP3 format and then just paypal the Spiritualized account $50 for this beautiful music.  (I don't trust the dude's .rar file)

• edited April 2022
    If you don't mind being a bit technical, there's "yt-dlp" which downloads things from a million sites and can also do conversion. This worked for me:

yt-dlp -f 'ba' -x --audio-format mp3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ -o '%(id)s.%(ext)s'

• I wish I understood “Git-hub.”
    I’ve seen so much stuff that would
    be of great technical and artistic help,
    but I haven’t the foggiest idea of what
    to do with all of that jibber-jabber.
  • rostasi said:

I wish I understood “Git-hub.”
    I’ve seen so much stuff that would
    be of great technical and artistic help,
    but I haven’t the foggiest idea of what
    to do with all of that jibber-jabber.
    If you can come up with a sick beat, you might have a pop hit there....

• The easiest way, if you don't mind spending a few bucks for it, is probably the "Download Audio" app in Parallels Tools, which has been available as a separate product for a few years now. (And they'll probably also insist on a subscription, rather than a one-time license transaction.)

Maybe I shouldn't mention this but it works on several other sites too, including Soundcloud and Bandcamp — though in all cases you'll almost always get a 128Kbps MP3 file, not a 256K or 320K file.

• jonahpwll said:

If you give me a URL I can easily do it. It'd be literally 60 seconds of work.
  • Actually I don't hate iTunes, and in fact just had a situation where it worked a little too well. Music is on an external drive (in Win10), and I have been happily playing music with no problem. I had not been adding much music to the library for some time (months), as I have been increasingly streaming to my receiver. Finally went to add new files, and though they were showing up in iTunes, some of them didn't appear in Windows Explorer.
    Come to find out that the Windows file list was showing less than half of folders within the Music folder - specifically, those starting with A to J - even though the files were there and I could still find/access them via iTunes. Eventually realized that the hard drive was malfunctioning and couldn't be read - Including by Backblaze, which thought the drive was no longer there.
    So in short, the HDD had crashed and my online backup didn't exist! Which I didn't realize, because iTunes was still working. Fortunately, I had run a local backup to another drive several weeks ago...Because I hadn't been adding new files, it wasn't even that hard to re-create. Same old story I guess, but as always, back up your backups!