Great Expectations: musicisgood.org is a go!

Comments

• Thanks, GP.

BTW, by community service I meant charity work, not working off a DUI.
  • I've decided I will be Craig McManus. I love the idea of "changing" my last name to what Elvis Costello changed his from. I'm weird, I know it.

Best of luck on the writing, folks!

Craig
  • edited November 2011
    Be glad to look, BT. I'll be home tomorrow where I have a computer I can actually see things on, so just point me in the right direction. As previously stated I'm not exactly a computer/tech savant.

In the grander scheme of things, I think this might be a great opportunity/motivation to turn an eye (as well as ears) towards the burgeoning collection which badly needs some oversight and collation between the digital and physical realms, because there is too much good music lying fallow, and I do enjoy yakking about good music.

Oh, and don't forget to turn it up to 11 today, as it is supposed to be National Metal Day or some such - link. I am majorly bummed I forgot to bring the iPod (to hook up to our boombox) this morning as I had threatened my co-workers with a marathon of Black Sabbath, Ozzy and Iron Maiden.
  • I'll be around until the middle of the day(UK time) BT, if you want someone else to look at it, but probably won't be online lunchtime onwards. I'll be working on a couple of reviews, then maybe a longer piece. I'm going to be using the byline Greg Lewis - it's a surname a couple of generations old in my family that is never used for ID purposes as it comes form my father's side of the family
  • I haven't used this blog platform before:

1. Is the code for inserting links into the text the same as on this board? (e.g. to link the artist's name to their home page, or to link to another article that's mentioned in passing)
    2. Can we embed youtube videos in the piece or do we have to just link to them? (the embed code is easy to get from youtube; do we just paste it into the article and it shows the video?)

I will have a piece written to share for comment this weekend if anyone would like to read it over. Got enthusiastic in my lunch break today and wrote half of it.
  • edited November 2011
    GP - Looking at the interface it is clear that media can be embedded. There is a simple button that allows you to upload them from a local computer or put in a URL. Not sure on the linkage, though. I'll keep looking. ETA: There is also a button to insert a link and many other things.

I've also been inspired and almost have a full draft written.

Nereffid also appears to have been inspired as there is a draft up for Classical highlights for the last couple of months that was written by Stephen J. Nereffid.

Craig
  • It looks like there are already several things in the pipeline. I've already passed along my writing to BigD and GP. Perhaps we should come up with an order in which they will appear?
  • BT - We probably should, although I like the idea of having a number go up initially. That way there's more than just one real post available to read. Then we can start sending people there to read!

Craig
  • WordPress has a WYSIWYG visual editor, and also a "raw HTML" editor you can paste into, so there should be no need for BBCode... but if anyone really prefers BBCode, there are plugins that could be installed for that, like this one.

Obviously it would be handy to copy BBCode posts from here (or some other forum) and be able to paste them into WordPress without having to re-code them, so I guess it's not just a matter of encoding preference...
  • OK, I finally hit "Submit for Review" on my first thing. Takes me back to the early days of putting together lists on emusic.

I'm not sure where the name Stephen J. Nereffid came from, but I suppose it must be subconscious homage to this guy:

stephen%20cannell.jpg
  • You're published, Nereffid!

And we're off.

FYI - I'm going to add some links to our blog roll. Please let me know if I miss some you want added.

Craig
  • edited November 2011
    So for the technologically challenged in the audience, ahem, what do we do if/when we have a piece to submit? I did log in over there, but I'm afraid, very afraid - not that I have anything ready yet.
    P.S. I have had a small tenure of proof-reading experience, and seem to find it a natural inclination so if anyone needs, give a holler.
  • the link to emusers doesn't seem to b working
  • Thanks to GP's and BigD's interventions, my first post is up.
  • edited November 2011
    Fixed JUJ. When Dr. Mutex put it in it was with a .com!

Looks good BT. I'll give a read this evening.

I did add a fold to both posts to keep them from getting too far down the page.

Craig
    _____
    Oops. - Dr. Mutex
  • I instinctively clicked on the R&B link fully expecting to see a coming soon or check back later notice.

To my surprise, not only was I greeted by an articled on Funky Town but also transported into the future. (Here in the good ole US of A, Greenwich mean time is just another liberal plot by the United Nations to try and take away our firearms or something.)

I was fully prepared to rip you guys a new one for overlooking Black People Music but alas not so.

And yes Minneapolis truly is funky town although I can't tell who is the author of this particular piece
  • We overlook black people music?

On the other hand, there ain't much brown people music.
  • We overlook black people music?
    Apparently not.
    On the other hand, there ain't much brown people music.
    Huh?

BT I take it you are the daddy of that baby
  • That was me JUJ. Don't you worry, I love me some black people music.

Craig
  • edited November 2011
    Craig,
    enjoyed the piece on Funkytown. It still needs one edit: "the area has proved surprising fertile" - surprisingly.
    Just submitted my first piece - can't see any way of giving it a category other than the ones already created - do you need to do that? It should be "Electronic" I think. I added tags - is that right?
    That was fun to write.
    BTW, does that platform allow the panels on the right, in particular "Archive", to show a tree of actual post titles rather than just "November"? Once there are quite a few pieces on the blog, will one have to navigate by month?
    (Oh, and after going in circles around pseudonyms I decided in the end to just use my own name).
  • edited November 2011
    GP: I added Recent Posts to the top of the sidebar.

Admins: The sidebar is now using widgets (widgets in the admin menu). They replace the regular sidebar.

All: I'm not happy with the way the current theme buries the byline at the bottom and doesn't show it at all when you view the post page. I'm going to either find another theme or edit Contempt to put the byline under the title, where it belongs.
    Update: It's straightforward to to make a child theme and move the byline. I'll do it when I have a few spare minutes.
  • How about a magazine style theme? Would go a long way to help each contributor's content pop.
  • Thanks GP. Unfortunately, my link to log in has disappeared in the changes, anyone know where to log in now?

I do like the looks of that elwood. Any chance you can find a few minutes to write something? I would love to have something from you.

Craig
  • I've read what's there so far - well done to all, you've set a really good standard for us all. Hopefully my first piece will go up in the next 24 hours or so
  • @Craig, yeah, I can't see the login either now. @Dr. Mutex, we need a widget that includes the login link.
  • I figured out the direct link to log in using my history. It's http://musicisgood.org/wp/wp-login.php
  • Good call, and thanks.

I also created an Electronic category while I was in there. For categories, there is a section on the right hand side of the posting screen where you can select what to put it under as well as create new ones.

Craig
  • For some reason my piece got changed back from "pending review" to "draft". I just resubmitted it.
  • I may have caused that when I altered the tags. Sorry about that.

Read through your article, but I'll have to go through it again because I got too interested in the content and forgot to read for editing.

Craig