Google Music sale

edited December 2011 in General
Not that we need yet another place to spend money on music, but Google Music's holiday sale is pretty good: over 500,000 albums on sale for $4.99.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Holy cow!

It looks like all the single Savall albums are 4.99, the multi-discs are 9.49.
    https://market.android.com/search?q=jordi+savall&c=music&docType=2

It seems to include clean feed.
  • 500,000? Well I guess I'd better browse them all this morning then. This 'my sale is bigger than yours' thing is starting to reach the realms of just being funny.
  • Maybe it will become, "my sale is cheaper than yours."
  • Time for 7digital to make its move...
  • Well, I did learn from this exercise that there is a reason to pay attention to the Android marketplace. Checking my SFL against the sale there, I looked at the Forbidden Planets compilation of early electronic music. It was on my list mainly because I wanted Stockhausen's Gesang der Jünglinge. Trouble was, that track was album only at every store I checked, and it's a double album. Well on Google not only is it not album-only, it's 49 cents. Seems like it might be worth checking albums that have one every expensive album only track on emusic to see if that track's for sale on Google.
  • edited December 2011
    For post-rockers, The Journey Studies by Seven Mile Journey is $3.96 on Google, but it also lets you buy all four tracks singly for .49 each. The recent Minizza album, which is one long track, is .99 (or .49 depending which button you click). I am finding a bunch of albums where they clearly don;t have it set up right - buying tracks singly is less than the album price. I suggest a good browse for things on your SFL.
  • GP - that Stockhausen track and, like 61 other discs of stuff are available at ubuweb - here. not that .49's a bad price.
  • I noticed Alva Nota is on sale, GP!
  • edited December 2011
    Already have almost all of the Noto. Thanks for the ubuweb link - I'll dig further.
    ETA, and I thought I had dug all the Stockhausen out of that list earlier, but obviously I missed the Gesang!
  • I took the plunge ... it charged me something called "tax," and apparently songs can only be downloaded one at a time.
  • Yes, given Google's size and design experience and the scale of ambition required to open a store like this I am surprised how clunky the interface is. I addition to the download process, I found myself perpetually closing popups. There also seems to be a bunch of stuff mispriced, a lot of stuff that you'd expect to find is missing, and I'm finding miscategorizations (try searching for Biosphere - none of the many albums listed there are by the artist whose bio appears).
  • Every track that I have bought so far from the Google music store has the "album artist" tag left blank and the band name put instead in the "composer" tag (even when this clearly makes no sense).
  • @Doofy - 7 digital has in the UK, 100 top albums of 2011 at £3.99, I'm tempted by a few
  • Soundtrack buffs: in celebration of the Oscars, Google has a handful of soundtracks on sale for $3.99. Includes Shaft, Superfly, O Brother (Deluxe edition)... and more.
  • Ah, that explains the Vangelis deal at Amazon. I knew that one wasn't black history month.
  • I just grabbed "Superfly," "Black Caesar," and "Good Will Hunting." Trying to grab the Deluxe edition of "O brother...", but google won't let me. Keep getting an error.
  • anose,

O brother is available at Amazon for 3.99, but not the deluxe edition. Amazon does not carry the deluxe edition; neither does iTunes. 7digital lists it but there's a "Page not found" error - perhaps the deluxe version got pulled, which is why Google's messing up.
  • New google sale: "acoustic" music on sale for $3.99. I'm putting acoustic in quotes because of some of the offerings, like The Decemberists "The King is Dead," which is good, but decidedly not acoustic. Thinking about grabbing the Wynton Marsalis/Willie Nelson collab., which sounds sweet.
  • To be fair it does say "(mostly) acoustic". Seems like cheating to me, but at least they qualify it a bit.

Craig
  • OK, just once could somebody run a music sale without "She and Him"? I don't have that Alison Krauss, though...
  • The Eraser by Thom Yorke? Not even mostly acoustic.
  • edited March 2012
    Decembrists, She & Him - both $3.99 at Amazon right now - what a coinkydink. Just starting to eyeball the 958 $3.99s (if only there was a Rhino Hi-Five filter).
    Oh, was that New Favorite by Alison Krauss by some wild chance?
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah, no wild chance I think. Works for me...I can still take advantage of the deals without mucking around with the Google downloader/uploader/sidewaysloader.

To that I would like to add that Alison Krauss is...she's...she's just....

ETA...Completely acoustic.
  • edited March 2012
    Observed in the 3.99 filtered collection of albums at Amazon: "40 Must-Have Favorite Hymns" - that feels like an oxymoron of some kind. The idea that a hymn, of all things, would be a "must-have", something one feels compelled to possess for oneself as the result of a financial transaction for acquisitive motives.
  • @GP

Buyer beware on that collection... don't forget, there's Hymns for Him and Hymns for Her. Be sure to get the right one, because His Hymns aren't Her Hymns.
  • At least it's the must-have favorites instead of the must-have most-hated hymns.
  • The Catholic church at the end of my street has recently added chimes that play hymns at certain times of day. Very pretty, but has also opened the floodgates on long-gone, but evidently not forgotten childhood, Sunday mornings spent at Mass. Have found myself busting out hard-wired lyrics on several occasions - "Holy God, mighty God, God omnipotent and divine." Much to the confusion of my un-churched wife, who is just not down with this mighty, omnipotent God thing.
  • New $3.99 sale at google (without Amazon price matching, oddly). Looks like the connecting thread is the '90s -- Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Public Enemy, etc.
  • Thanks. I think the 90s passed me by somehow. Interesting that some of the sale items are $6.99 in light of the Amazon thread discussion.
  • And....Wavves? Whatever.

Some really really good stuff on that list.

Craig