WTF

Comments

• Even tho GDPR goes into effect in a couple of days,
    it's not really any kind of "hard" date when a crisis
    will be averted or some such thing. It's just a date
    that's a point of reference to let the general public
    know about some potentially positive changes taking
    place concerning the sharing of information (or lack of).
    I believe that we'll still be receiving information even
    after the 25th - some saying things like, "... many of
    you may have heard about recent changes ..."
    Personally, I have no prob with the emails - some say
    I have to do something simple, but most say that I
    don't have to do anything at all.
  • I am amazed how many I have got e mails about, still kept my Epic 45 one .
  • Yeah, I'm using it as a chance to unsubscribe from things I didn't know I was subscribed to.

The difference on the 25th is that the penalties come in. The GDPR has actually been around for two years already, and prior to the the European DPD. But they didn't have quite the teeth that is coming in now.
  • What happens if the reviewer does not agree with the title
  • rostasi said:
    All the news you CAN trust. Or is it just an Ethnoforgery?

• Or is it just an Ethnoforgery?

Now that is a good word!!
  • greg said:

Or is it just an Ethnoforgery?

Now that is a good word!!
    The Ethnological Forgery Series (E.F.S.) is a feature of the various Can Canibalism  and or Limited Edition / Unlimited Edition releases etc. where they drop world music (before it was called such) into their "regular" compositions - so not really my neologism. Good stuff. Go explore if you aren't familiar. Holgar Czukay I think is the guy most responsible so maybe go straight to Canaxis 5 (original credit to Technical Space Composers Crew - but it was 1969). Two side long tracks of which "Boat-Woman-Song" is outstanding.
    Peace
    djh

• edited July 2018
    I don't very often use the browse feature on emusic. But in an idle moment I just had a look at the new classical releases. Then I refined it by "Baroque". This was the second result:

httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId161934291width800
    I guess it's on account of that 17th century spelling!

(On another front I see that some of the emusic content is reaching down into Amiestreet levels of home-made-ness. Would you buy a Bach album with this cover? (The samples just about match the design vibe)).

httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId913637width800
    One more, because this one amused me greatly. Either playing baroque mandolin makes you sad or these folk think we have all been very naughty in some undisclosed manner:

httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId3197818width800
    ("Seriously? We have to be in the photo? Well, if you must...")

• If I was browsing, neither cover would attract me  to go further, especially the last one! I do agree that much of the content is beginning to scrap the barrel a bit. Too much non-copyright stuff.
  • I think I've actually heard that first one. Maybe it came up in my Dutch lessons or something...

• I mean, what is the point of having a WTF thread if you don't post the all-trombone cover of Bohemian Rhapsody

Stick around to the end for full into on next year's Intl Trombone Festival in Muncie, Ind.

• Reassuring thread on the incomprehensibility of [much of] current pop music. I had thought it was just me/I am too old. OK, the latter is probably still true ...
  • edited May 2020
    Looking for info on this Dexter Gordon tune

Sweet!

Nice:

Wha...?

...And lots more crazy charts/graphs, etc. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that median swing ratio
  • edited October 2020
    Cry for help

Eta the more I think about his, the more it makes sense that a kid this age would like such structured, patterned music. Some people are suggesting Eno, I think that's spot on. https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/j7jwer/my_5_year_old_kid_is_obsessed_with_kraftwerk_help/

• edited October 2020
    Doofy said:
    Eta the more I think about his, the more it makes sense that a kid this age would like such structured, patterned music. Some people are suggesting Eno, I think that's spot on.

This is almost exactly why I decided to be "childless by choice"...
    Still, some of the posters do have the right idea. Personally I'd avoid the Eno/Fripp route and go with something like Kraftwerk -> Yello -> Ryuichi Sakamoto/YMO -> XTC Dub Experiments -> XTC "Go 2" -> XTC in general. That way, at least you're listening to XTC at the end. It's tempting to suggest some of those early-80s Sheffield electro-pop bands too, like Cabaret Voltaire, but (as one of the commenters sort-of suggested) the kid might end up really twisted emotionally and that might not be so good.
  • edited October 2020
    via Twitter:

"Came across this exchange in a court hearing between a lawyer and an FBI agent, trying to work out the difference between boogaloo and juggalos"

Eta for those of you lucky enough not be American at this exact moment in history, the "Boogaloo Boys" are a Right Wing/White Supremacist group

• Posted on Facebook by a musician friend...