What are you listening to right now? (#11 - But this one goes to 11)

edited February 2013 in General
Retiring the old thread.

Comments

• Well I have never been last on one thread and then a couple of hours later first to add a play on a new thread before! Still playing Simon and Garfunkel. This time Sounds of Silence
  • edited February 2013
    300x300.jpg
  • edited February 2013
    dan-deacon-call-me-maybe.jpg

"Dan Deacon ruins Call Me Maybe" - Stereogum

Dan Deacon - Call Me Maybe Acapella 147 Times Exponentially Layered
  • 41K8NShBeVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

But wait, there's more...! Yes, that is Jack Bruce on (off-key) vocals
  • 300x300.jpg
    - "Composer, theorist, arranger, and pianist George Russell debuted his 14-part master composition "Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved By Nature" on April 28, 1969, at a concert in Norway. The ambitious, elaborate work blended bebop, free, Asian, and blues elements, as well as electronic effects, and mixed live performance with tape and vocal segments. It was a testimony to the prowess of trumpeter Manfred Schoof, tenor saxophonist Jan Garbarek, guitarist Terje Rypdal, bassist Red Mitchell, and drummer John Christensen that they weren't overwhelmed by the sheer weight of the experience. The digital mastering enables listeners to fully hear the disparate styles converging, and understand just how advanced Russell's concepts were, particularly for the time. While not everything worked, the composition ranks alongside Ornette Coleman's "Free Jazz" as one of jazz's finest, most adventurous pieces."
    Ron Wynn / Allmusic
  • Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
  • Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, followed by The River
  • 41zdEkDMfDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Grimes - Halfaxa

Thanks for pointing out that this popped up on Bandcamp, Lowlife!

Craig
  • Thanks to Lowlife:
    grimes-847108066770.jpg
    - "Grimes, Geidi Primes, Claire Boucher, whatever. She’s been around for some time and there seems to be a general sense of suspicion as to why the music press are getting giddy over her music all of a sudden. The truth is, ‘Genesis’ is her absolute finest work to date; an incredibly promising indication of her forthcoming ‘Visions’ album. At the heart of the song is a pent-up, energetic pulse but all of this harboured frustration is surrounded by a stunning wealth of evolving textures. Truly beautiful, whilst retaining an odd quality."

grimes300.jpg
    "Montreal-based Grimes (recording project of Claire Boucher) produces chilled-out, lo-fi tape music– hooks drowned in ambient waves, perfect pop tunes crafted for diehard GvB fanatics. Her debut tape, ‘Geidi Primes,’ places her among other blog-hyped acts such as How to Dress Well, Forest Swords or Pill Wonder. ‘Geidi Primes’ was released physically on Arbutus Records,"
    http://mojohandle.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/grimes-geidi-primes-2011/
  • edited February 2013
    61qSO8ynaLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Another groundbreaking fusion album, though with more of an eastern emphasis. On Gu!

ETA: the album has some pops on a few tracks.

BTW, why does Guvera lack almost all the Ralph Towner albums that were on ECM?
  • 61-bzr48cML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Micachu & the Shapes - Never

Craig
  • dave-picks-volume-5-cover.jpg

Came in the mail yesterday, nice to have Jerry and the guys keeping me company while I grade papers this afternoon.
  • 61z7c3UIodL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This album is so much better than their last one it's not even funny. Nice to see the band that made Set Yourself on Fire is back.

Craig
  • edited February 2013
    300x300.jpg
    - "EKS's uncompromising aural sensibilities have been responsible for 3 decades of deviant melodic excellence, including about a dozen solid solo releases in the oughts alone. Unlike so much experimentalism today, Edward's ideas are exploratory without sounding noodley or samey, making each of his prodigious progeny worth assembling. " A Pleasure Cruise Through 9 Dimensions " successfully takes yet another left turn by presenting an album covered in concrete. Musique concrete. Edward has eschewed all song structure in favor of avant-garde soundscapes. The word "soundscapes" is almost a dirty word in most cases, but EKS attacks sound like a master sculptor, freeing unique and surprising sonic forms from the ether. He brilliantly decoupages electronics with emotional otherness, punctuated by disembodied voices that bubble up from the beyond. This is what Xenakis and Schaeffer listen to in electro-acoustic Heaven."
    - Beta-lactam Ring Records
  • beta_bands.jpeg

Beta Band - Beta Band
  • Just noticed that the Liner Notes for the new Dead release (UCLA, 1973) were written by Bill Walton, who attended the show and claims to have repeatedly have invited John Wooden to attend the show. Wooden responded with an invitation to have Walton join him at an upcoming Lawrence Welk show. Neither invitation was accepted.

Bonus Trivia: Walton played one of the Sleestak on the original Land of the Lost.
  • Craig:
    This album is so much better than their last one it's not even funny. Nice to see the band that made Set Yourself on Fire is back.
    I'm a big Stars fan, but I never felt the negativity towards The Five Ghosts that I saw brought up here. It ends a tad weak, but I think pretty highly of the first 9 tracks. I like The North plenty too, though not a fan of "Progress".

Craig, have you seen them live? Go. A very uplifting pop experience. I've seen them 4 times, and look forward to the next.
  • The Five Ghosts just always gets the same reaction from me: 'meh.' There's no real fire to it, and the vocals (where Stars are at their best) are muddy. The album just bores me.

I haven't seen them. They are on the "it would be nice to see" list, which with the 2 year old doesn't get many names checked off. Based on your review from a month or two ago, though, they should probably move up the list.

51Kouhtt1sL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Deeep - Life Light

Craig
  • edited February 2013
    61mw0fhPL5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I like the other album of his that I have better, but this has its moments too.

@Craig (or anyone else, I just figure Craig is a good place to start): a question (I have slight deja vu so I might have asked this before, but I don't remember doing so). My knowledge of hip hop is pretty limited. I like some of Blackalicious/Gift of Gab. I like world music-oriented hip hop, having enjoyed the Soulico - Exotic on the Speaker album, and the K'Naan releases for their more interesting and varied musical backdrops; I've also enjoyed Ojos de Brujo (not entirely hip hop I know), Xavier Naidoo's rap tracks, die Fantastischen Vier, and the single Kemo the Blaxican track that I have. I like poetry and flow and word play that makes me smile at the fluidity and expressiveness of the language. I like wit. I also appreciate in some of the above artists that the lyrics concern themselves with justice and compassion, and I hear human connection rather than posturing.

I have *very* limited patience for people rapping at length about how they are the best rapper/most hardcore individual; gangster-glorification; misogyny; pimp personae; lyrical fixation on getting rich; etc.

Given those vague parameters, who else should I be checking out when I get my very occasional urge to check out some hip hop? I have been checking out rap things you're listening to occasionally on Guvera, but I suspect our tastes in this area will only overlap rather than coincide.
  • Soundcloud:
    artworks-000039951359-4tnzyb-crop.jpg?060de79
    Shara Worden and Brooklyn Youth Chorus (Live from 2013 Ecstatic Music Festival)

- "On Friday, Jan. 25 at 7 pm, Q2 Music presented the opening night of the 2013 Ecstatic Music Festival with a live video and audio stream of a sold-out evening featuring the versatile, Detroit-based songstress Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond) and the adventurous, award-winning Brooklyn Youth Chorus. Hosted by Q2 Music’s Helga Davis (Einstein on the Beach), the show featured solo sets from both acts as well as world premieres written by Shara Worden, performed alongside Brooklyn Youth Chorus."
  • edited February 2013
    - More Soundcloud:
    artworks-000039398174-cy2ul5-crop.jpg?060de79
    - "Something essential is being telegraphed in the opening seconds of Black Bend. Sharp glissandos, brittle pizzicato plucks and false starts that catch out some gentle extended-technique scrapings – so much of this sounds like textbook modernism. And yet the pitches are unmistakably bluesy. Time to scramble up the traditions, and to bring that I / IV / V feel into your chamber music being played by members of the Berlin Philharmonic. (Don’t laugh; the Germans can play the blues just fine, as you’ll find when Black Bend lurches forward into the groove that it always needed to become.). . . . ."
    Q2 Music Album of the Week
  • Gp, definitely check out Native Tongues groups: 90s classics like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, and the Jungle Brothers. Also Heiruspecs.

I don't overly expect you'd like him, but I think everyone should hear Aesop Rock (his latest, Skelethon, amazes me).
  • Now got my computer set up, so I can play music from iTunes, not just CDs. So starting the day with Bellowhead Matchin.
  • 519d6aiBUJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

followed by

4063483765-1.jpg

NYOP Bandcamp
This discussion has been closed.