And we're back! (I hope)

edited February 2015 in General
I've migrated the forum to a new server, and upgraded the software to the latest vanilla version.

Things will be slower as requests are now going the US, being proxied to NZ, and then the reply is sent back along the same path. This will change when xtrev updates the DNS at his end.

If you have any issues, let me know. I'll try to keep my eye on things for the next little while, or you can email me: robin@kallisti.net.nz.

Now to go do some polish on the new site.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    There are some timezone issues it seems, with old stuff appearing newer than new stuff. That should sort itself out over the next 13 hours or so. This also seems to affect the "new posts since your last visit" thingy.
  • You also may see an extra 'emusers.org' in URLs. That's an annoying artifact of the proxying. It hopefully won't affect anything, and should go away in time.
  • Things seem to be going OK. I looks like some particularly old threads may have gone astray, sorry about that :/
  • Oh, also, I'm expecting one of the admins who knows what they're doing to make it a bit prettier :) I don't have a design bone in my body.
  • You may see the occasional internal server error. I dunno what is doing that, it's something to do with the proxy stuff. Not really important enough to worry about given that's temporary.
  • Woo hoo! Well done!
    Thanks so much for spending all that time on this shiny new look!
  • Yay, someone posted, now I know that works :D
  • Oh hey, it works on mobile too.
  • Nice, well done.

Have also noticed internal links are broken, but this is just caused by the proxy so should sort itself out.
  • Which links are you seeing that are broken? I may be able to fix them.
  • Wow, cool, different! Seems to be more mobile friendly. Thanks for the upgrade eythian! I think we're very lucky to have this free semi-private corner to muse in.

And a picture button!
  • Is there a face in the front of that car? That's all I can see.

A note to admin types, the permissions and roles and how they apply to categories and such have reset to something like default. You may want to have a look at them and see if they need tweaking. I think as it is now, everyone logged in can do all the normal things, though people will be in the 'noobs' role until they verify their email. It's unclear to me what they move to after that, or where that's controlled, but I may have just missed it. Hopefully something sensible.

This said, the registration form now implements recaptcha, so hopefully that's sufficient to keep spambots at bay. If not, the noob category can be tightened up.
  • edited February 2015
    Which links are you seeing that are broken? I may be able to fix them.
    The one I stumbled across was clicking on a link between posts, like this one on What are you listening to... where the link on the image should go to a post with more details? Looks as if there has been quite a change in the structure of the URLs...
  • Nice work! I see the syntax has changed? < instead of [? At least what the buttons generate is not what I am used to typing.
  • I have posted quite a lot of internal links on the listening thread:
    [url]http://www.emusers.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1398&Focus=36222#Comment_36222[/url]

- The ones I have checked are broken.

The bold [b] code is not working and I can't find the members list.

You can now see a list of the discussions you started and posts.
    That is a major improvement !

Nice work, Thank you !
  • Hmmm ? - I can't seem to find the edit function.
    Am I missing something ?
  • edited February 2015
    Just checking:
    [b]Bold[/b] - [b][i]Bold and i[/i][/b]

- Hmmm ?

- Oh ! - found the edit.

ETA: It's not possible to edit old posts, is there a time limit ?
  • It'll just have to be new posts, I guess. You'll live somehow, BN. :)
  • Ofcourse I will live - but the whole idea was that i could ad labels in alpabetical order.

The whisper function has gone and all previous whispers too.

I had a thread whispered to myself with a hell of a lot of informations and drafts to new posts. - this is a disaster.
  • edited February 2015
    All internal links on the beginners guide is broken:
    http://www.emusers.org/emusers.net/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1102/a-beginner-s-guide-to-emusers/p1

Most of my list of "Some threads of possible interest" has vanished.

That is not good !
    - And with the edit time limit, I can't fix them
  • At the top left of the screen there is an envelope icon. That is where whispered conversations are now. Mine are still there.

Craig
  • Oh ! - fantasic, thank you.

- however, all links and drafts from my latest post is not there.
    :-(

- And the text on the first post on the newest page on the classical N&N is not there either.
    http://www.emusers.org/emusers.net/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1424/new-notable-classical-albums/p6
  • Previews, drafts, HTML helpers, oh my!
    I got used to a certain way of handling
    pictures, but I can easily adapt to the new.
    Hope it's easier for all.
  • edited February 2015
    When I log in on an iPad (in case that is relevant) the two threads that are tagged "Announcements" both show at they have new posts by having bold titles and a yellow icon.

One of them when I looked did not in fact have any new posts since I looked earlier.

More worrying, though, some of the other threads show a time stamp for their last post that is since the last time I looked (And yes, they do have new posts when I check) but show no visible indication of having a new post in their title in the thread list - no bold text, no yellow icon.

Plus, one of the two when I opened it took me to the latest post. The other one took me to the top of the thread. I have seen this variance twice but not identified a pattern yet.

One thread gave me a notification through that little globe icon top left saying that Katrina had posted and indeed had a new post, but the thread in the thread list was not bold and had no yellow icon. Only this one thread has notified me in this way, though others have new posts. *ETA, I now deduce that this was because it was a thread that I started, listed in My Discussions. OK, I get that now.

Also, I just closed the virtual keyboard and temporarily left edit mode and when I returned to edit the text before posting it had lost the last sentence I wrote. The new board is more sensitive than the old to e.g. switching tabs mid-edit and going back and having your draft still be there. Not a big deal - I am more worried about not being able to see at a glance which threads have new posts. Is that a theme matter?

ETA, it seems to be working better now, at least one regular thread just gave me a yellow thingy.

Edit does seem to have a time limit of one hour. If this can't be changed it will prevent us from doing some things we were doing before with editable lists.
  • edited February 2015
    @Brighternow, with my freshly acquired admin powers and a very modest amount of know how I have changed the site's edit setting to the ability to edit permanently. It does seem to be retroactive to my old posts. Could you check yours again and see if that fixed any of your problems with editing?
  • Thanks GP, it works.
    But editing whispers and on my thread whispered to my self is not possible.
  • Messages (formerly whispers) seem to be a separate thing now...I do not see a setting for them, so I think that one is beyond me.