What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

Comments

• But if that was the case, then why didn't he just use the original masters and clean them up some?
  • rostasi said:
    But if that was the case, then why didn't he just use the original masters and clean them up some?

He did this to lots of TD releases, couldn't stop himself from tinkering apparently. Also this album originally came out on Brain unlike any other TD/EF album so different rules apply.
  • edited June 2021
    Aqua came out on Brain too with the tunes in different order and a couple of them remixed, but yeah, Macula on Brain! I remember these when they came out  (the Virgin ones I got as promo copies for my radio show then). Ages was a favorite too! What a mess he made of re-doing those early TD ones. This new ensemble has gone back to that early style - and it's nice to hear these new releases!
  • edited June 2021
    1974 TD intro...

• On this morning's listen...
    Jan Jelinek                                                                Jan Ryhalsky

2018                      Zwischen                                 2015                   Iron Skeletons

Janczarski & McCraven Quintet                               Janek Schaefer (For Robert Wyatt)

2018                     Liberator                                   2018     What Light There Is Tells Us Nothing
    Emusic
  • rostasi said:
    But if that was the case, then why didn't he just use the original masters and clean them up some?

He had a habit of not being able to leave things alone - wanting to improve them somehow. A bit like the TD album Green Desert is supposed to be a lost mid 70's recording - except you can tell from the production it got tweaked and added to later. Zappa of course did this sort of thing all the time oh this is a bit boring so I'll splice in a solo from such and such a concert.
    [I thought I'd replied to this earlier - sorry my fingers must have got stuck!]

• New album from Salut, not as strong as previous but very good.

• Susanne Kraft - About You
  • edited June 2021
    djh said:
    [I thought I'd replied to this earlier - sorry my fingers must have got stuck!]
    Yes, you did reply earlier. But like I said then, he made a mess of them, but we have the new ensemble now, so...
  • "A Mind Trip over Netherlands (Dutch Psychedelia and Progressive Rock 60s/70s)" a sampler album of largely obscure Dutch bands from the 60s/70s.

• Bringing back great memories!

"The Woodstock Generation", a compilation of music of the era.

• Today in 1846, Adolphe Sax patented the saxophone.
    Play something saxy.

tsgf8Smjpg

• rostasi said:

Play something saxy.

Done.

• 8PzU688jpg

KARKHANA are:
    Mazen Kerbaj: trumpet, objects, electronics
    Umut Çağlar: double reeds, bamboo flutes
    Sam Shalabi: oud, electric guitar
    Sharif Sehnaoui: electric guitar
    Maurice Louca: organ, synthesizer
    Tony Elieh: electric bass
    Michael Zerang: drums, darbouka

• b30SCcVjpg

Rodrigo Pinheiro - piano
    Hernani Faustino - double bass
    Gabriel Ferrandini - drums and percussion
    John Butcher - tenor and soprano saxophones

• WcrDj3fjpg

Thomas Borgmann – soprano and tenor saxophone, toy-melodica
    Max Johnson – bass
    Willi Kellers – drums and voice

• François Carrier - alto saxophone
    Masayo Koketsu - alto saxophone
    Daisuke Fuwa - double-bass
    Takashi Itani - drums & percussion
  • wxmLYfkjpg

La forme du temps est un cercle by François Bayle

• Blue Train Import Anglais

I missed the sax day a couple of days ago. It is an instrument deep in my genes. My father played both tenor and baritone sax right up until his nineties, when he had to give up with failing sight, but he was still playing it occasionally from memory until a couple of years before he died aged 97. I can take or leave piano based jazz, but if its the sax I love it!

• Harris Eisenstadt - drums, compositions
    Michael McGinnis - clarinet
    Jason Mears - alto saxophone
    Sara Schoenbeck - bassoon
    Mark Taylor - french horn
    Brian Drye - trombone
    Jay Rozen - tuba
    Jonathan Goldberger - electric guitar
    Garth Stevenson - acoustic bass

• Gonçalo Almeida - double bass
    Rodrigo Amado - tenor saxophone
    Marco Franco - drums