Tribute To @Brighternow: Great Albums That He Introduced Us To

Comments

• August 2015  edited July 2020
      - "Bérangère Maximin makes spacious colorful music. A sonic sculptress of exception, she started out in an academic environment with an electroacoustic training, and has gradually incorporated the contribution of post-punk, dub and sound art experiments to develop a hyper-personal style, producing sensual, hypnotic, sultry pieces with immediate impact. BM moved from her native Reunion Island to France when she was fifteen, and studied with the musique concrète composer Denis Dufour (a member of the famous GRM and a pupil of Pierre Schaeffer). Her first album came out on John Zorn’s label Tzadik.

Bérangère naturally drew inspiration from composers such as François Bayle, Luc Ferrari, Eliane Radigue and has also listened to a lot of early electronica and glitch music. She went on to develop her own approach, both to studio recording and to live performance, taking in the experiences gathered in the course of her collaborations with the likes of Fennesz, Rhys Chatham, Richard Pinhas and Fred Frith (with whom she played several duet concerts).

Dangerous Orbits is Bérangère Maximin’s fourth album, and her first for Crammed Discs’ Made To Measure series."

Bérangère Maximin

Frozen Refrains                                                              Land Of Waves

Thanks!!!  I've really enjoyed these additions.
  • I have just this moment realised where @Brighternow got his moniker from. Joined the dots as it were. This despite knowing he was a fan of TLPD... doh!

Rest in Power BN!
    Primary

• edited December 2022
    @djh why on earth didn't I work that one out for myself!!??
  • @djh why on earth didn't I work that one out for myself!!??

Strange isn't it, when things are right in front of you but...?

• BrighternowBrighternow   November 2013  edited November 2013

Here's a Jonah Jazzpick from 10.30.13 from the always interesting Serein label, curated by Huw Roberts (1 half of Nest).
      "Some of the more mesmerizing post-jazz you'll ever hear"

Jonah continues:
      . "Lots of music on the peaceful side of the spectrum this week, either laid down like a warm blanket or whispered in bursts of comforting words. Even the albums that get a little upbeat feature plenty of lovely harmonies to incite a wave of serenity.

On that note, let’s begin…

Colorlist, Sky Song: Excited to see a new album by the duo of Charles Gorczynski and Charles Rumback, a reeds-percussion collaboration that creates some of the more mesmerizing post-jazz you’ll ever hear. Ambient dissertations that drift lovingly from note to note, interlude to interlude, with an airy presence even when the tempo becomes a volatile kinetic energy. Jeff Parker guests on guitar for this recording. For those who liked recent Jazz Pick Oddarrang, definitely spend some time checking this out. Aside from his own album on the Clean Feed label, Rumback also hit the Jazz Picks column with his membership in the Stirrup trio, on Sewn. And if you’re looking for more Colorlist, I still often listen to their recent EP, The Fastest Way to Become the Ocean. Just beautiful music. Pick of the Week."

- "Two years ago, Colorlist released ‘The Fastest Way To Become The Ocean’ on Serein; a four-track EP released on 10” vinyl as part of the Seasons series. The band’s core members (Charles Gorczynski and Charles Rumback) were both living in Chicago at that time. Shortly after the release of the EP, Gorczynski moved west to Oakland, California, leaving the pair on opposite sides of the United States. The two have somehow managed to keep working together despite the huge distance between them, so we’ll forgive the couple of years it took for ‘Sky Song’, the album I present to you now, to come to fruition.

Sky Song is Colorlist’s third album proper and their first full length release since 2010. The music is deep, organic and involving - it feels like a spiritual successor to their 2008 album, Lists, which had a similarly robust and weighty sound. This may be thanks in part to the complement of modular synths which are present again on Sky Song. The deep, harmonic quality of analogue synthesizers seems a perfect companion to the pair’s usual instruments, occupying the mid-range of frequencies between Rumback’s kicks and toms, and Gorczynski’s woodwinds.

As with their previous work, Sky Song traverses a rich and wide sonic terrain. It’s not music that’s easy to classify because of the array of influences which mould the sound and indeed the improvised nature of many of the pieces. Importantly, though, Sky Song feels focused and coherent as a whole. The album has everything; peaceful and serene passages of music that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, deep, driving rhythms that make your feet twitch and occassionally, music that erupts like a firework exploding in the sky.

Colorlist don’t have to stick to one style to establish a cohesive ‘whole’; there is something deeper common to these tracks that ties them all together. There is a quality to the pieces, a kind of airy, openness that I associate with being outdoors. It’s a distillation of a certain feeling, walking in the woods perhaps, the sun dappling the earth below your feet, a warm breeze on the back of your neck; magical music.

Sky Song was recorded by Josh Eustis (Telefon Tel Aviv and Nine Inch Nails) and John Hughes (founder of Hefty Records) at HFT Studios, Chicago. Both play important roles in capturing Colorlist’s music which cannot be underplayed, on this occasion they are also both credited with playing modular synths on the track, ‘Currents’.
      http://www.serein.co.uk - €music - Soundcloud (one free track)

Thanks, to both of you!!!   & an extra thanks to BN for saving Jonah's review!

Colorlist

The Fastest Way To Become The Ocean                 Sky Song

Full Circle
  • ^^^ @confused ^^^ Thanks for the reminder about this @Brighternow selection. Just listening to Sky Song by Colourist and it still comes across strongly bridging a jazz not jazz feel. On to the wants list it goes!
  • ^^^@djh Your most welcome, I really enjoyed them all and these...

BrighternowBrighternow 
    August 2010  edited April 2014

Cosa Brava - Ragged Atlas
    Fred Frith - guitar, bass, voice
    Carla Kihlstedt - violin, nyckelharpa, bass harmonica, voice
    Zeena Parkins - accordion, keyboards, foley objects, voice
    Matthias Bossi - drums, percussion, sruti box, voice
    The Norman Conquest - sound manipulation
    Cosa Brava is a quintet formed in March 2008 in Oakland, California by multi-instrumentalist and composer Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Skeleton Crew, Keep the Dog). Fred Frith's career began as a folk and later rock musician – he co-founded Henry Cow in 1968 – but has since diversified into a number of different genres, from avant-jazz to contemporary classical music. He has written scores for film and dance, and music for orchestras and string quartets. But, like a lot of musicians, the idea of "genre" is not really very interesting to him anyway!

The motivation behind the formation of Cosa Brava arose out of Frith's love of rock music in general and songs in particular. He said, "Over the years I’ve done a lot of improvising, and composed a lot of music on paper. I’ve written for orchestras and string quartets, directed ensembles of improvisers of all descriptions, produced scores for dance and film. I even somehow became a Professor of Composition! But I really miss what you can do with a rock band. I miss developing material through the push and pull of cooperative rehearsals, I miss what happens when you move away from “the parts” and start formulating things with a collective ear, I miss the single-minded commitment to a group identity. The musicians in Cosa Brava can improvise, read scores, AND rock the house. … Like I say, if you pick the right players, chances are the music will take care of itself.”

Frith had previously worked with Zeena Parkins in Skeleton Crew and Keep the Dog, and had collaborated with Carla Kihlstedt on several albums.

- Intakt Records.

• May 2012  edited April 2014

Fred Frith guitar, bass, voice
      Carla Kihlstedt violin, bass harmonica, voice
      Zeena Parkins accordion, keyboards, foley objects, voice
      Shahzad Ismaily bass, voice
      Matthias Bossi drums, percussion, mayhem, voice
      The Norman Conquest sound manipulation

- "Cosa Brava is about storytelling. I don't think about it too much. It just turned out that way. Some of the stories have words and some don't, but they share a sense of scenes glimpsed in passing. Torn photos, fragments of movies, distant shouts. One of my earliest memories is of a long drive north, as our family moved away from London to start a new life in the Yorkshire dales. I remember the smell of the car, and passing our broken down removals lorry in the middle of night. I was four years old, and sometimes it feels like I've been on the road ever since. I need to travel, and now my life depends on it, so there's never a shortage of stories. The musicians of Cosa Brava are fellow nomads and experienced collaborators, and some of the best storytellers around, so my stories also become their stories. It's been an exhilarating journey, and I still have no idea where we're going. In the end it doesn't seem very important."
      - Fred Frith, February 2012, Liner Notes.

204_photojpg
      - "Cosa Brava is an experimental rock and improvisation quartet formed in March 2008 by multi-instrumentalist and composer Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Skeleton Crew, Keep the Dog). Cosa Brava released in 2010 "Ragged Atlas" (Intakt CD 161) followed by "The Letter" in 2012 (Intakt CD 204)."
      Intakt Records.

@Brighternow - Thanks again for introducing me to so many interesting folks!!!
  • confused said:
    ^^^@djh Your most welcome, I really enjoyed them all and these...

BrighternowBrighternow 

Cosa Brava is a quintet formed in March 2008 in Oakland, California by multi-instrumentalist and composer Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Skeleton Crew, Keep the Dog). Fred Frith's career began as a folk and later rock musician – he co-founded Henry Cow in 1968 – but has since diversified into a number of different genres, from avant-jazz to contemporary classical music. He has written scores for film and dance, and music for orchestras and string quartets. But, like a lot of musicians, the idea of "genre" is not really very interesting to him anyway!

The motivation behind the formation of Cosa Brava arose out of Frith's love of rock music in general and songs in particular. He said, "Over the years I’ve done a lot of improvising, and composed a lot of music on paper. I’ve written for orchestras and string quartets, directed ensembles of improvisers of all descriptions, produced scores for dance and film. I even somehow became a Professor of Composition! But I really miss what you can do with a rock band. I miss developing material through the push and pull of cooperative rehearsals, I miss what happens when you move away from “the parts” and start formulating things with a collective ear, I miss the single-minded commitment to a group identity. The musicians in Cosa Brava can improvise, read scores, AND rock the house. … Like I say, if you pick the right players, chances are the music will take care of itself.”

Frith had previously worked with Zeena Parkins in Skeleton Crew and Keep the Dog, and had collaborated with Carla Kihlstedt on several albums.

- Intakt Records.

- "Cosa Brava is about storytelling. I don't think about it too much. It just turned out that way. Some of the stories have words and some don't, but they share a sense of scenes glimpsed in passing. Torn photos, fragments of movies, distant shouts. One of my earliest memories is of a long drive north, as our family moved away from London to start a new life in the Yorkshire dales. I remember the smell of the car, and passing our broken down removals lorry in the middle of night. I was four years old, and sometimes it feels like I've been on the road ever since. I need to travel, and now my life depends on it, so there's never a shortage of stories. The musicians of Cosa Brava are fellow nomads and experienced collaborators, and some of the best storytellers around, so my stories also become their stories. It's been an exhilarating journey, and I still have no idea where we're going. In the end it doesn't seem very important."

204_photojpg
      - "Cosa Brava is an experimental rock and improvisation quartet formed in March 2008 by multi-instrumentalist and composer Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Skeleton Crew, Keep the Dog). Cosa Brava released in 2010 "Ragged Atlas" (Intakt CD 161) followed by "The Letter" in 2012 (Intakt CD 204)."
      Intakt Records.

confused said:
    ^^^@djh Your most welcome, I really enjoyed them all and these...

BrighternowBrighternow 

- Intakt Records.

204_photojpg
      Intakt Records.

Thanks for the reminder @confused I have both of those and a Swiss radio live set that I haven't paid enough attention to. And of course to our guiding light for kicking this off @brighternow

• BrighternowBrighternow   June 2011  edited September 2011

Daniel Thomas Freeman - The Beauty Of Doubting Yourself

"Daniel Thomas Freeman is a founding and current member of Rameses III, the South London group who in the last ten years have released ambient / drone / folk albums on labels such as Type, Important, Digitalis and Under The Spire and who have supported such genre luminaries live as Stars Of The Lid, Current 93, Murcof, Fursaxa, James Blackshaw, Yellow Swans and Astral Social Club.

The Beauty Of Doubting Yourself is a deeply personal document from the Rameses III musician Daniel Thomas Freeman. Written over a period of six years this instrumental album is split into three movements chronologically representing the artist’s deep depression, his slow transition to recovery and his eventual experience of grace.

Whereas Rameses III’s music is designed to instill beauty and peace with every release, this album is a challenging yet rewarding listen in its own right whilst keeping the luxurious depth of the later Rameses III recordings . . . . ."
      More @ Home Normal.

Exerpt previews @ Soundcloud.

Daniel Thomas Freeman

The Beauty Of Doubting Yourself       nyop           The Infinite And The Unknowable

Thanks!!
  • @confused I am a big fan of the Beauty album. Something of a rarity in being an ambient album with a profound narrative.

• February 2015  edited February 2015

"DésAccordes is a current musical ensemble led by the French bass player and composer Erik Baron. The band includes no less than seven classical guitarists (Among whom a certain Philippe Cauvin) nine electrical guitarists, seven bass-players (Among whom the Master of Ceremonies and the member of Minimum Vital -Eric Rebeyrol) a harpist, two cellists (Among whom Serge Korjanevski), a drummer and a percussionnist (The former Pseu keyboards player Thierry Jardinier . With their second opus 
      "In C" (2005), DésAccordes aims at reproducing the famous eponymous work composed in 1964 by Terry Riley This quite original transcription has been given the form of a classical symphony, an originality still reinforced by the use of electric instruments. This is the ideal opportunity to discover again this masterpiece of music of the XXth Century."
      Gazul / Musea - 2005

- Insanely brilliant !

• edited March 2023
    BrighternowBrighternow 
    • Live Canterbury Power trio:
      300x300jpg
      Hugh Hopper {Bass}
      Pip Pyle {Drums, percussion}
      Daevid Allen {Guitars, Voices}

- "A most eccentric 3 piece jazz rock outfit from the Canterbury school - Daevid, Pip Pyle and Hugh Hopper. Easily the best Brainville material to surface to date and probably my favourite of the first 6 Obscura CDs. Mixed by Hugh Hopper, so sub-bass frequences to the fore. If the rest of the Obscura CDs reach the quality of the first two we are in for a real on-going treat. "
      Planet Gong 2004

"The Children's Crusade", not the actual Brainville album mentioned by @Brighternow but gives the general idea.

Brainville  Spotify
  • January 2013  edited January 2017 in Classical

-Thanks!...once again.

Erdem Helvacioğlu & Per Boysen                           Erdem HelvacioğluŞirin Pancaroğlu 
       - Sub City 2064                                                    - Resonating Universes                           

Eleven Short Stories                                              Timeless Waves

Helvacioglu / Tovsky - Erlik Khan                         Erdem Helvacioğlu & Ulrich Mertin - Planet X

Mark O'Leary & Erdem Helvacioğlu  - Istanbul

And as a bonus from archive.org - 2 recordings from 2003.

selected electroacoustic ambient works

A Walk Through The Bazaar

Also
    Joy Exit (Erdem HelvacioğluŞirin Soysal)

Joy Exit                                                                 Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Black Is the Color
  • edited May 2023
    Lovely song !

I can't honestly say that @Brighternow introduced me to Choir of Young Believers but having heard "Hollow Talk" as the theme song for that outstanding Danish\Swedish TV Production "The Bridge", they became a firm favourite.

• BrighternowBrighternow    May 2012  edited March 2013
      @ C. Fused. . .
      Thanks for the info, I asumed that JD was another example of Emusic crediting one of the participating musicians as "the main person"
      RE: Fred Ho, new on Innova's soundcloud page and certainly a goodie for the Jazz folks here:
      artworks-000022724272-2eomy0-cropjpg4606e00
      The Ensemble is:
      BOBBY ZANKEL (alto saxophone)
      Salim Washington (tenor saxophone)
      ROYAL HARTIGAN (multiple percussion)
      ART HIRAHARA (keyboards)
      WES BROWN (bass)
      http://www.bigredmediainc.com/AAME.html
      "BIG RED! honors the Old Fred Ho’s iconic influences: Malcolm X (nick-named during his early years as “big red” for his height and reddish hair) and Mao Zedong (who indeed was a “big red,” a giant of the 20th century who led a socialist revolution for one-quarter of humanity, confronted with unimaginable obstacles). This important recording also honors the late Sam Furnace, friend and member of the AAME for two decades, who passed away in early 2004, with the Chamber Music America-commissioned work, Suite Sam Furnace. Also featured are amazing new Afro Asian ground-breaking works: Kaya’s Song featuring vocalist-kayagum performer Rami Seo (singing in Korean); a work in support of the movement to free America’s most renown death row political prisoner, Mumia Abu-Jamal (Free Mumia! Suite); Gadzo, based on traditional warriors music from the Ewe people of now-Ghana; an instrumental rebuttal to Branford Marsalis’ denunciating comments about the 1960s avant-garde promoted in Ken Burns’ propagandistic film, Jazz (The Ur…! and Ir…! Suite); and the eponymous work, featuring Fred Ho’s poetic recitation in homage to Archie Shepp (Big Red!). FRED HO THE COMPOSER uniquely and incredibly traverses across genres with both ease and innovation, his compositions having been commissioned by and featured at some of the most prestigious artistic institutions of the U.S., including the American Composers Orchestra (When the Real Dragons Fly! at Carnegie Hall), the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center (for Josephine Baker’s Angels from the Rainbow for the Imani Winds), the Guggenheim Museum and the Brooklyn Academy of Music Next Wave Festival (for Journey Beyond the West: The New Adventures of Monkey and Voice of the Dragon: Once Upon a Time in Chinese America…), and most recently, Fanfare to Stop the Creeping Meatball! by the Boston Symphony Orchestra for the 2011 Tanglewood Music Festival. His works personify the cross-cultural hybridity of American New Music and Jazz. His six-octave range and fluency with extended and esoteric techniques on the baritone saxophone equals his prodigious abilities as a composer and creator of operas and other large-scale, epic works (including genres he has originated such as “Manga Music/Theater” and “Martial Arts Ballets” and “Living Comic Book Performance”). Ho’s distinguished awards include two National Endowment for the Arts fellowships (in Jazz Composition and Opera/Musical-Theater), three New York Foundation for the Arts Music Composition fellowships, six Rockefeller Foundation awards, the Duke Ellington Distinguished Artist Lifetime Achievement Award, the Harvard Arts Medal, and the American Music Center’s Letter of Distinction. The Old Fred Ho (also known until 1988 as Fred Houn) died on August 4, 2006 of advanced colo-rectal cancer. His progeny, the New Fred Ho, born August 5, 2006, has taken up the mantle of his predecessor, including leading the core band of nearly 3 decades, The Afro Asian Music Ensemble."
      Innova - 2011
      Fred_Hojpg
      (About Fred Ho)
    Thanks!   One listen to Big Red and I was hooked. I've been lucky enough to add these over the years.
    Fred Ho And The Monkey Orchestra

Monkey: Part One                                                 Monkey: Part Two

Fred Houn And The Afro-Asian Music Ensemble   

Yes Means Yes, No Means No,                              Big Red!
    Whatever She Wears, Wherever She Goes!

Fred Ho

Deadly She-Wolf Assassin At Armageddon! / Momma's Song 

Fred Ho & The Saxophone Liberation Front           Fred Ho And The Green Monster Big Band 

Snake Eaters                                                        Celestial Green Monster                                       

The Sweet Science Suite                                       Year Of The Tiger
  • Thanks @confused (and, of course, to @Brighternow) for the intro to Fred Ho.

Am really enjoying his album, "The Underground Railroad to My Heart" - particularly the title track.

The Underground Railroad to My Heart by Fred Ho  The Afro-asian Music  Ensemble on Apple Music
  • ^^You're most welcome! He certainly did introduce me to such a wide variety of folks and here's a big thanks to everyone here who continue to do the same.
    • 61TzKXFZ5UL_AA300_jpg

This milestone of the avant-garde music, published in 1974 by the historic Opus One, was a very significant political awareness. With Coming Together and AtticaFrederic Rzewski celebrates in music the famous revolt of the American prison in 1971. The texts of Sam Melville and Richard X. Clark make pulsating and alive the invocations of the prisoners; full of pathos, these fragments of life oscillate between a confessional tone and the hymn to freedom, in a touching emblem of compassion. The fixity of the sound images is incisive, unnerving and melancholic, embroidering a solid minimalist repetition. The different combination of the verses produce a psychosis or obsession of a cathartic experience, at the same time emotional, physical and mental. Together with great guests such as Alvin Curran, Jon Gibson, Garrett List and Karl Beger, Rzewski seems to merge his radical vocation with the most meditative and suffered plots of the spiritual jazz; sealing all with Les Moutons Des Panurge, an amazing suite for percussion, a timeless masterpiece of polyrhythmic expertise.  
      - Just my words . . .  

Thanks, those also lead me to these...
    Cornelius Cardew - Frederic Rzewski

We Sing For The Future!                                       North American Ballads & Squares
    ubu.com

Tom JohnsonFrederic Rzewski - An Hour For Piano

• November 2012  edited March 2015
      1. From the Internet Archive. 
        This is really stunning Experimental/Outer Limits stuff, so as an exception posted here as a new and notable.

BTW: the building on the cover is Rudolph Steiner's Goethe Anum.

ETA: My plan was to make a seperate Belorukov thread because there's so much brilliant music from him out there, but this will have to do, at least for the time being . . .

imageimage
      2. Sergey Galunenko - beatbox, voice, electronics
        Ilia Belorukov - alto saxophone, laptop

- "Sergey Galunenko (aka Galun) is a musician from Moscow/Russia who's known for his experiments with live beatboxing processed real-time with his laptop.

Ilia Belorukov (b.1987) is a musician from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. He works in the direction of improvised, noise and electroacoustic music. He’s a member of different projects such as Wozzeck, Wooden Plants, Benzolnye Mertvecy, Punktieren and others. He collaborates with musicians who work in other genres (from hardcore and metal to academic contemporary music); with dancers and painters; with theater. Ilia practices an experimental approach of sound extraction on alto saxophone, uses laptop, electric-guitar and other instruments. Also he is a founder of Intonema label. Organizer of events in Russia, co-organizer of the Teni Zvuka festival.

Ilia had played with such musicians as David Stackenäs (Sweden), Lucio Capece (Argentina), Radu Malfatti (Austria), Ignaz Schick (Germany), Darius ?iuta, Arturas Bumšteinas (Lithuania), Topias Tiheäsalo, Janne Tuomi (Finland), Edyta Fil, Rafal Mazur (Poland), Thomas Buckner, Eyal Maoz (USA), Yuriy Yaremchuk, Alla Zagaykevich (Ukraine), Vladislav Makarov, Roman Stolyar, Alexei Borisov, Vyacheslav Gayvoronskiy, Sergey Letov, Alexey Lapin (Russia) and many others."
        Nexsound
        Last.fm
    This was my introduction to Galun and Ilia Belorukov, both most interesting. Thanks again, again!

Galun

Monokle & Galun - In Frame     nyop                    Meltwith Myvoice - EP    nyop

Galun & Ilia Belorukov - Somnolence    nyop        Smithers    nyop

Solitude        nyop                                                Winter      nyop

Golos     
    One Instrument is proud to release Galun's album, composed by Russian artist Sergei Galunenko, who currently resides in Estonia. Titled "Golos" (meaning "voice" in English), the album reflects Galun's belief that the voice is the most crucial musical instrument, with each individual possessing a unique one. 

Galun's project relies solely on his voice to create all sounds, using beatboxing and special vocal skills, with some effects added to create electronic sounds. The resulting music spans genres such as beats, techno, bass music, ambient, and experimental performance. 

For an extended period, Sergei has been composing music using only his voice, seeking to replicate electronic music with his vocals. 
    Since childhood, he has been fascinated with electronic sounds and the unique sounds created by synthesizers. 

The album showcases Galun's exploration of ambient music, beyond the traditional beatbox genre. The track "Mir" (meaning "peace") is particularly meaningful to the artist, evoking a desire for peace amidst ongoing global crises, wars, and disasters. Galun wishes for a fair and harmonious world with nature and society, where all chaos is sent into a black hole. 

After several releases with bands, composing for television, and collaborating with other artists, Galun has now gifted us with a beautiful, emotional, and deeply personal album. 

• BrighternowBrighternow  November 2016  edited November 2016
      From the seriously weird and "album of the year potential" department,

- And an ATT. to @confused , you'll love this !

- "The newest record produced by the group of three – Ghedalia Tazartes, Paweł Romańczuk, and Andrzej Załęski – is the result of only a few meet ups and a shared passion for music that shapes their perspective. The long play was recorded at the Rogalów Analogowy studio in the eastern part of Poland. It’s worth noting that the space and surrounding countryside did not influence the sound itself as the record drifts away from the traditions of chamber music. The musicians, together as well as separately, avoid any mainstream influences. Thus, the acoustic record is peaceful, spiritual and presents a wide variety of notions and emotions. The diversified vocal articulation and tone of Tazartes intertwines well with Zaleski’s percussive play and Romańczuk’s multi-instrumental skills. The rhythmic pulsation is constantly taking new directions, eventually turning into noise at some point. The voice, somehow dramatic, traps the listeners and sends them on a journey through non-existent quasi-stories. Here we are, facing an elusive romantic magician personified by a carp-headed cat."

- "French cult artist Ghédalia Tazartès is an uncompromising character who defies categorization. He recorded alone a dozen of albums, calling his way of working “Impromuz” for lack of a better term. Before the years 2000s, his public appearances remained exceptional events. Ghédalia Tazartès’ music has always been a mystery. It switches from musique concrète to – existing or invented – ethnic music, from poetry to noise, or from loops and collages to sad and extremely beautiful tunes in a second, but it constantly is in flux and coherent. . . . . ."

Paweł Romańczuk:
       – musician, composer. Since 2006, he works within the field of unusual sounds sources. Romańczuk is a founder of the Polish artistic group Małe Instrumenty with whom he recorded 10 albums. He composed several film soundtracks and collaborated with significant theatre houses. He’s also famous for the various instruments, sound and audio installations he builds on his own. 

In 2010, he published the first study on the history of the instrument toy piano.

In 2013, he wrote the book “Domowe eksperymenty z instrumentami muzycznymi” that was published together with his band’s album “Samorobka”. The publication became a guide to the process of creating hand-made and experimental musical instruments. He collaborated with  Pierre Bastien, Margaret Leng Tan, Piotr Kurek, Nao Nishihara, Księżyc and Za Siódmą Górą, Cezary Duchnowski, Andrzej Bauer.
      He conducts workshops, lectures and develops exhibitions on the role of instruments and sound experiments. His music collaboration with Andrzej Załęski and Ghedalia Tazartes started back in 2014; however, he was familiar with their music for quite a time.

Andrzej Załęski:

– musician, filmmaker, curator. He collaborated with: Ghedalia Tazartes, Aspec(t), Joe Giardullo, Eugene Chadbourne, Charles Hayward, John Hegre, Tatsuya Yoshida, Pavel Fajt, Sylvie Courvoisier, Vinz Vonlanthen, Małe Instrumenty, Johannes Bergmark, Ralf Wehowsky, Jerzy Mazzoll, Andrzej Przybielski, Komora A, Jacek Staniszewski, Robert Niziński (Księżyc) among many others. He also played in bands like: Multicide, Mitch and Mitch, 3 Metry, Za Siódmą Górą.

Cofounder of the theater group Komuna Otwock, collaborated with the Gardzienice Theater and Akademia Ruchu Theater. . . . .

MonotypeRec.

Well, I did love that too!    I'm fortunate enough to having added these to the library over the years. 
    Ghédalia Tazartès

Diasporas                                                             Une Éclipse Totale De Soleil

Check Point Charlie                                              Repas Froid

Ante-Mortem                                                       Jac Berrocal/David Fenech/Ghédalia Tazartès
                                                                                 Superdisque

Coda Lunga      archive.org                                  w/ Bruno LetortCube QuartetEténèsh Wassié 
                                                                                      Semelles de Vent: African Rimbaud’s Trips

Ghédalia Tazartès/Paweł Romańczuk/Andrzej Załęski
      Carp's Head
  • ^^^ @confused ^^^

Funnily enough just yesterday I let myself get distracted from what I was supposed to be doing by following @Brighternow s Best of Year lists back to 2013.

The lists are a bit hidden under the Whirling Dervish thread.

Starting at the start(!) I spent some time with these, which included a diversion from my diversion.

Petrels - Onkalo & Haeligweille

Textile Audio - The Pomegranite Suite

(Which lead me back to reading up on the various Persephone myths and legends.)

Funnily enough although this album isn't on that label, Textile Audio was associated with New Weird Australia label an old compliation of which I was just listening to last weekend after digging it out of a box. Everything but everything is linked I tell you.

Just right now though I'm digging through some files and found this Creel Prone re-issue

Primary

Edgardo Cantón – Musiques Électroacoustiques

All of which will make a change from a Polish Navy choir singing sea shanties I'm due to go and see later.

• @djh- diversion from my diversion. I've found myself lost in threads many times but then I'm easily distracted and always confused!

• Brand new from the mysterious and intriguing Hanetration

Still nothing about this guy, except for some photos and a short bio written by himself on LastFM:
      An anonymous project from London, UK, which surfaced online in early 2012 with a series of self-released EPs of ambient soundscapes and glitchy sound collages.

Hanetration

Tenth Oar EP    Free                                              Torn Heat EP      Free

Nae Troth EP     Free                                             Timelapse EP     Free

Murmurist EP     Free                                            Acid Reflux EP     Free

Waldsterben EP    Free                                          Coiled Fire EP     Free

Gavia EP      Free                                                   Ancients EP    Free

• March 2019  edited March 2019

Henri Chopin ‎– Cantata For Two Farts & Co.

Tracks A2 to B2 recorded at the studio of the artist with his own voice. A1 realized in Radio Cologne, 1971. B3 recorded in first place at the studio of the artist and then in the studio of IPEM, 1977.
    With thanks once again to @Brighternow - UbuWeb
    Henri Chopin

The Body Is A Sound Factory & Co.                       La Peur And Co (1958-1979)

Poésie Sonore                                                       Les 9 Saintes-Phonies: A Retrospective

Cantata For Two Farts & Co.                                 Les Mirifiques Tundras & Compagnie

Poésie Sonore 2003                                              La Plaine Des Respirs

• August 2013  edited August 2013
      artworks-000022672557-lqwk9o-cropjpg12d1f45
      - "A lovely album of cello/voice/electronics compositions by Hildur Gudnadottir recorded live at the Music Research Centre (University of York) in January of this year. Touch's press release notes that the original live recordings have not been edited as "to be faithful to time and space." The effect of this move is the establishment of a sense of intimacy and even immediacy in these glacially moving string compositions. The album begins with a brief string prelude before the centerpiece, "Allow The Light" takes center stage. Thirty-five minutes in length, the piece is really quite beautiful, with angelic, clarion vocals eclipsing beautiful string arrangements for cello. Midway through the piece its initial frailness gives way to a more spectacular and assertive movement, building to a frenzied mass of bowed strings and booming electricity clouds. Impressive and immersive listening, and typically top-notch presentation by Touch."
      Alex Cobb, Experimedia @ Soundcloud
    Hildur Guðnadóttir Thanks again!!

Angel & Hildur Guðnadóttir - In Transmediale      Hildur GuðnadóttirBJ Nilsen And Stilluppsteypa 
       archive.org                                                          - Second Childhood    

Without Sinking                                                    Mount A

Leyfðu Ljósinu                                                      Saman

Jóhann Jóhannsson With Hildur Guðnadóttir         Hildur Guðnadóttir & Jóhann Jóhannsson 
     & Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe - End Of Summer        - Mary Magdalene      archive.org

Joker        archive.org
  • I Heart Lung and related. . .

BrighternowBrighternow    January 2011  edited January 2011 in Jazz
    I found this from guitar player Chris Schlarb from I Heart Lung on Bandcamp:

1506235285-1jpg
    Twilight & Ghost Stories is a dense 40-minute modern composition featuring a disparate cross-section of musicians from the avant-garde, independent folk, jazz and electronic communities. A creative and accomplished jazz guitarist, Chris Schlarb cut his teeth producing hip-hop tracks, teaching music workshops and co-founding the free music collective Create (!). In 2004 he collaborated with installation artists Megan and Murray McMillan, and with fine artist Tom Steck formed I Heart Lung, which Tiny Mix Tapes called "some of the most energetic free-jazz to spit out of America." Spanning all of these endeavors, Twilight & Ghost Stories finds Schlarb playing acoustic piano, organ, electric and acoustic guitar as well as tapes and percussion.
    - For 5 bucks + two more albums, Brilliant stuff !

This reminded me about the free Interoceans remix CD:
    AKR409_900jpgw350h350q90
    01. Interoceans I (Self Says Remix with Express Fresh)
    02. Interoceans II (Jel Remix with Awol One and Serengeti)
    03. Interoceans III (Ellul Remix with Radioinactive)
    04. Interoceans IV (Omid Remix with Gajah and Bizzart)
    05. Interoceans I (Sugarghost Remix)
    06. Interoceans II (Strategy Remix)
    07. Interoceans III (Badun Remix)
    08. Interoceans IV (Greg Davis Remix)

- And the free I Heart Christmas:
    0dd80cf7-bdd7-4ef4-ba46-62e37cbb495cjpg

- One I Heart Lung track on this somewhat bizzare free Infinite Fjords Sampler
    3487108956-1png
    - I just found this, - definitely worth checking out.

It all began with this fantastic album on eMu:
    300x300jpg
    Yeah !

Thanks again to @Brighternow and his I Heart Lung and related. . . thread (links not working). 
    I can't go past these without thinking some good thoughts for him.
    I Heart Lung

Interoceans

Interoceans Remixed      archive.org

• rostasi said:  
      Electric Jalaba - Merhaba

psychedelic gnawa mojo

Hot stuff !

”Merhaba” by Electric Jalaba, a heady mix of groove-based psychedelia, funk, electronic, and Afrobeat rhythms. 

Thanks to @rostasi for introducing us to the band and @Brighternow was so correct in saying “Hot stuff!”!

• Netlabel: Resting Bell

• September 2010  edited December 2011
      rb088_As_it_isjpg
      The Inventors of Aircraft - As it is (RB88 - September 24, 2010)
      “As it is” has an enormous warm and dense sound. You’ll find some elements you know from “Unknown Language” like the repetitive melodic motifs over the foundation of droning, growling sounds. But for me “As it is” also sounds like a massive step forward. And massive is the keyword: The sound is one of the thickest and richest things I’ve heard for a while. When I listen to the pieces the best comparison coming to my mind is the black monolith from “2001: A Space Odyssey”. Or the fantastic sound-design from Danny Boyles “Sunshine”. It sounds like something really elemental and physical. And so it is hard to point out one special track or part. The drones and melodies are moving slowly as one organic flood of magma, crawling further and further. And on top you have little scratches and crackles, shimmering and reflecting like the sunlight.
      - Christian Roth / Resting Bell.
    Thanks again!  Resting Bell at the archives, still so many to catch up to/replace.
    The Inventors Of Aircraft (Phil Tomsett)

Unknown Language    archive.org                         As It Is      Free

Lull     Free                                                           The West Country     nyop

Where The Light Stops     nyop                             Live At Recursive Space       Free

No Answers, Not Even Any Questions    nyop

• July 2018  edited August 2018
       June 17 confused said:
      Well, thanks for posting the Bandcamp page for Behind The Window (Electric Guitar Improvisations About The Rain) on the listening thread. I knew after a short sample of the first 3 tracks it would be something I'd be interested in hearing and since it was such  a good deal I went to Emusic and selected Dream as well. I'm always keen to add interesting guitar players so thanks again. Now off to explore that 8 string guitar that @Germanprof posted. Like In C, one can never have too many guitar players in one's library. I don't think I'll be able to wait for the S's to come around again so I'll need to find another connection. 
      Music is so much fun!!
      More guitar:

Solo works for guitar by composers Tine Surel LangeAndreja Andric, Klavs Kehlet Hansen, Wayne Siegel and Kaj Duncan David.
      The five composers behind these world premiere recordings, written for Jakob Bangsø, all share a keen interest in the field of electro-acoustic music. Through live electronics, sound-transforming algorithms and interactive systems, CONNECT explores captivating soundscapes in the borderlands between the acoustic and the digital, the raw and the processed, the heard and the reheard – guitar and electronics are equal partners. 
      Dacapo Records.
      Jakob Bangsø

Jakob Bangsø

Connect - Electronic Works For Guitar

Guitar Concertos

Ps. thanks to @Germanprof for introducing me to Raphaëlla Smits.

• edited December 2023

• August 2018  edited August 2018

Recorded Live at KPFA, Berkeley, CA on November 6, 1980 
      Jerry Hunt – electronics, percussion, piano, vocalizations 
      Released July 27, 2018
      Jerry Hunt is a unique and often misunderstood figure in New Music. His MH release from ‘Ground’ captures an excerpt from a performance of his avant-garde operatic piece Ground at KPFA’s studios in Berkeley, CA. In this unique expression of ritualistic music, the composer uses his voice and body to trigger electronic samples. Included are detailed liner notes by David Menestres.
      - Special thanks to Rod Stasick (aka. @rostasi ) and Michael Schell for their support and guidance 

Jerry Hunt

From "Ground"                                                               Haramand Plane: Three Translation Links

Lattice                                                                            Ground: Five Mechanic Convention Streams

The final album released by the composer-performer Jerry Hunt before his death, Ground: Five Mechanic Convention Streams is a rare and foundational audio document of Hunt’s compositional process. The record collects five pieces from the artist’s “Ground” series, translating his characteristically variable and spatial scores into “recorded fixtures of activity using mechanic musical instrument arrays,” to eerie and mesmerizing results. Originally released by experimental label OODiscs in 1992, it is now available on vinyl for the first time from Blank Forms Editions. Its tracks are dense and unpredictable, a miscellany of arrhythmic bursts, fragments of spoken and whispered words, soft then fevered rattles and shaking, and a rare return to pianoforte for the virtuoso player. On “Talk (slice): double” a nervous, warped dialogue unfolds between Hunt and composer Rod Stasick, their voices alternately measured and monstrous. In “Transform (stream): monopole,” breathy whistles build against a shimmering stream of bells, rattles, and shakers in a fantastical cascade of percussion. Hunt revisits the piano in “Lattice (stream): ordinal” and “Bitom (stream): link,” oscillating between gentle, almost classical phrases and frantic, seemingly random play. His collaboration with violinist Jane Henry, “Chimanazzi (Olun): core,” extends similarly unorthodox playing techniques to the violin, involving the scraping, plucking, and playing of its strings. The unstable quality of these tracks belies the rigor of Hunt’s procedures; each of Ground’s five pieces, their “common ground core,” is derived from the angelic tables of sixteenth century English philosopher and occultist John Dee, adapted by Hunt as frameworks to layer, adapt, and renew in his compositions. With a complex arrangement of sensors and equipment, which the artist called “interrelated electronic, mechanic, and social sound-sight interactive transactional systems,” Hunt realized these derivative systems in the techno-shamanic performances for which he is best known. Ground distills these procedures into fixed songs, producing a vital and critical record of Hunt’s singular approach to composition. 

Ground: Five Mechanic Convention Streams is released as part of Blank Forms’s extensive program dedicated to Jerry Hunt. This program includes the first institutional exhibition of the artist’s videos and sculptures, Jerry Hunt: Transmissions from the Pleroma, presented at Blank Forms from February 16th to June 11th, 2022; the publication of Partners, a memoir-cum-biography by the artist’s long-time romantic partner Stephen Housewright; the forthcoming anthology Blank Forms 08: Transmissions from the Pleroma; and Irida Records: Hybrid Musics from Texas and Beyond, 1979–1986, a deluxe LP boxed set and reader on Hunt’s briefly-lived independent label.  

• Joe Frawley Thanks to @Brighternowhttps://emusers.net/forum/discussion/1225/joe-frawley

The Hypnotist        nyop                                       Ritual Research       archive.org

Joe Frawley Ensemble - Daughters Of Industry      Angel Boxes      nyop
       archive.org   

Speak of this to no one      nyop                           Curious Perspectives     nyop

Haunt Not    nyop