Tribute To @Brighternow: Great Albums That He Introduced Us To

edited September 5 in General
Following the many posts mentioning @Brighternow, I did a search and was amazed to see how many outstanding albums I have experienced solely as a result of his recommendations

I thought that a great way to honour and remember him would be for us to show these albums under a new Discussion topic dedicated to him.

I would like to start things off with one of my favourite artists that I would never have come across if it wasn't for @Brighternow.

"Sousoume Tamachek" by Mdou Moctar

I now have four of Mdou Moctar's albums and my personal favourite is "Ilana: The Creator".

I see that @rostasi and @Bad Thoughts are also fans.

AMG says "A Tuareg singer/songwriter and guitarist known for his innovative and intense playing style, Mdou Moctar rose from a small village in Niger to earn viral success among West Africa's cell phone-trading network.... Moctar had little to no exposure to Western rock music, although his fiery playing style and the fact that he performs left-handed on a Fender Stratocaster has often led to comparisons with Jimi Hendrix."

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/mdou-moctar-mn0002840753/biography

https://mdoumoctar.bandcamp.com

Comments

• Indeed was introduced to the Sahel Sounds label my him, so much great music uncovered
  • edited September 8
    Memory and a certain logic tells me that it was Brighternow who introduced me to Nicolas Bernier, though I can't quite find the smoking gun (there are a lot of posts with broken emusic links once the search gets back a decade or so). I've been collecting Bernier's releases since at least this one (I think still my favorite), often prompted by Brighternow (and occasionally vice versa):
    Courant.air
  • edited September 8
    1960s Swedish group Hansson and Karlsson. Through @Brighternow's recommendation back in early 2018, I downloaded their album “For People In Love” from eMusic.

@Brighternow said at the time "Swedish late 1960s instrumental jazzrock / psychedelia duo, they licensed the track Tax Free to Jimi Hendrix."

AMG says "playing together in the '60s, they were among the most important Swedish progressive bands, and possibly the band reaching the most fame abroad in the '60s".

Bo Hansson ended up being the composer of the progressive fantasy album "Lord of the Rings".

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/hansson-karlsson-mn0001561484

And here's the excellent 11 minute live track that @Brighternow brought to our attention in the same post.

• I'm with Germanprof as far as struggling to piece together who originally recommended me certain music, but there is one in particular that came to mind.  Brighternow was the one who posted about Chris Schlarb's "Twilight & Ghost Stories."
    That album is still one of the most powerful things I've heard, though some of that has a lot to do with my own personal associations to the music and those assumptions we make about the musicians and the events surrounding a certain piece of art- personalizing it in a way that mirrors something about us and what we've been through.  But even without that context, it's an album that I adore beyond measure.
    And that led to Schlarb's inaugural Psychic Temple recording, which is one of my desert island albums, right up there with Frisell, Bowie, Coltrane, and Monk.
    I've been lucky to catch Schlarb perform in a few different cities, and I've enjoyed much of the music that's followed.  I interviewed him for my site back in the day.
    But it's difficult to put to words how much richer my life has been for this music.  This is the kind of positive impact we can have on others, with doing nothing more than the fond ritual of searching through music and casually telling others about it.

• @jonahpwll this is also a good examples of how things swirl here - if I had to guess where I learned about Psychic Temple I would have guessed from you.
  • edited September 11
    The Young Flowers first album "Blomsterpistolen".

Blomsterpistolen 1968
    Young Flowers was:
    Peter Ingemann - bass, vocals 
    Ken Gudman - drums
    Peer Frost - guitar
    Niels Skousen - guitar, vocals 
    Steen Claesson - violin, guitar

@Brighternow introduced me to the rich vein of late 1960s and early 1970s Scandinavian Psychedelic and Progressive Rock. The Young Flowers was one of the first examples. Try "April '68" to my mind the best track on this album.

AMG says "Often cited as one of the first genuine psychedelic rock bands to emerge in Denmark during the 1960s, Young Flowers were a blues-based power trio whose music was heavily influenced by Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience".
  • @Brighternow 's last post on the New & Notable thread. He'd spotted the album within a couple of weeks of the release date which was typical of him.

• edited September 18
    Another bit of strange, obscure but excellent Danish Prog Rock that @Brighternow introduced me to was Culpeper's Orchard s/t 1971 album.

AMG says "A Danish group formed by a Brit this debut by the band is a potpourri of Hard Rock with Prog and Folk elements tacked in the mix."

https://www.allmusic.com/album/culpepers-orchard-mw0000841420

ProgArchives says about this album "The debut was particularly successful both commercially and artistically, a very entertaining and professional effort, somewhere stuck between ZEPPELIN, TULL and BEATLES.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7929

CULPEPER39S ORCHARD Culpeper39s Orchard reviews