emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• Thanks Bremble

Mrs Lowife had her birthday yesterday and she is a huge David Bryne fan, had her singing along to Road to Nowhere
  • edited June 2013
    Just for the record:

Soundcloud in Aiff Audio - 551 mb:
    300x300.jpg
    Jason Kao Hwang(composer, violin, viola), Taylor Ho Bynum(cornet/flugelhorn), Andrew Drury (drum set), Ken Filiano (bass).

- "Nested in the urban mountains of New York City, Jason Kao Hwang’s EDGE quartet embraces both past and future with musical tales celebrating life and loss. Their instruments, resonant with human and animal overtones, sing through sharp lines vibrating between histories, cultures and genres. Founded in 2005, EDGE has released three CDs: EDGE (Asian Improv, 2006), Stories Before Within (Innova, 2007), and most recently Crossroads Unseen (Euonymus, 2011). Crossroads Unseen was selected as one of the top CDs of 2011 by Robert Ianapollo (NY Jazz Record), Troy Collins (All About Jazz) and Howard Mandel (Jazz Journalists Association. Stories Before Within was selected as one of the Top Ten Recordings of 2008 by Coda Magazine. All About Jazz selected their first CD, EDGE (Asian Improv Records), as one of the Top Ten CDs of 2006. In 2012 the critics poll of Downbeat Magazine voted Jason Kao Hwang as “Rising Star of the Year for Violin.”
  • Poking around on the Live Music Archive for the first time in a while...I'd forgotten what a thing it is. Here, for example, is a long set of Del McCoury playing at DelFest a couple weeks ago.
  • edited June 2013
    a3512073132_2.jpg

Let this album art and link stand for the 12 free or NYOP ambient albums/EPs/tracks that Marco Lucchi has added to his bandcamp page since last time I looked, last September. The ones I already have from him are quite enjoyable. (One release's artwork is NSFW.)
  • Free on Emusic.
    I never heard of them but sounds like a fairly descent Rockband.

300x300.jpg

- Also on their website:
    http://www.dispatchmusic.com/
  • edited June 2013
    300x300.jpg
    Nick Cave, Robyn Hitchcock, Primal Scream AMO . . .
  • Thanks BN, things are looking up with emusic, maybe???
  • For the Bluegrass minded with an Emusic subs:
    300x300.jpg
  • I'm not that into Bluegrass, but I'll download a free album and listen to it! Thanks BN
  • Massive drop of Electro Chaabi for anyone who's interested in what Cairo is listening to...
  • edited June 2013
    I am definitely going to check that out, elwood.

Craig
  • 285 tracks! Most track titles in Arabic, some Anglicized. Vocoders and beats oh my... I'm going to make up my own sound-alike lyrics. Thanks for the tip elwoodicious!
  • Downloaded just a couple to test it out, and holy cow that is good! Gotta get some more.

Craig
  • edited June 2013
    a2542364379_2.jpg
    SIFA-KELELE is a band dedicated to creating positive developmental change in the community through the vehicle of music.
    A band that is female oriented and also bent on supporting other young and upcoming musicians.

Two track album NYOP from Bandcamp
  • edited July 2013
    @ Archive.org:
    9290.jpg
    Rainier Lericolais - Adagio Ma Non Tanto
    (Tripostal - trip 4. 25 th june 2007)

On “Adagio Ma Non Tanto” the french sound-designer and contemporary artist Rainier Lericolais offers to us five electro-acoustic and minimal compositions. Around piano, processed sounds and fieldrecordings, Rainier Lericolais invites the japonese poetess Ryoko Sekiguchi to declaim some texts in her native language and also in a lovely french. Geoffroy Montel from Minizza is part of those pieces doing some drones. Last but not least, Pierre-Yves Macé did the master work."
    http://modisti.com/releases/?m=200710

rainier-lericolais.jpg
    "Rainier Lericolais is a visual artist and musician, record collector and music connoisseur, born in Châteauroux, France in 1970. He manipulates with ease forms, sounds, images, and turn them into objects, sculptures, paper works, improvisations, concerts, fanzines or records. His work is at once meticulous, sophisticated, humble, popular and erudite."
    http://www.brocoli.org
  • edited July 2013
    Five free DLs via drip.fm
    Darondo - Didn't I (Ubiquity)
    Ray Barretto - New York Soul (Fania)
    Jagwar Ma - The Throw (Mom + Pop)
    Mark Starr - Rood Boy [Kry Wolf Remix] (Dirtybird)
    Quasi - You Can Stay But You Gotta Go (Kill Rock Stars)

There is a Fania drip, who knew?
  • edited July 2013
    €music: Free Soundway Sampler
    300x300.jpg
  • Sub Pop's 25th Anniversary. 14 free songs from Google Play.
  • edited July 2013
    There are three free tracks from the album In a Cave or a Coma by Unrecognizable Now here.

This is noteworthy because Unrecognizable Now is a duo one half of which is Marcus Fischer, who makes very fine music.
    Not sure this is his best stuff (see: Monocoastal), and it's not quite his solo genre, but it's very pleasant in a plinky kind of way.
  • edited July 2013
    index_04.png

New Original Jazz Classics sampler for an email - Some new (re-)releases, hopefully means that some of the other stuff that's been unavailable lately will be coming back.
  • Stopped by AAJ Free Daily Download for the first time in a while, and found a bunch of freebies from the always-reliable Origin label. Like 15 tracks over the last couple weeks - Looking forward to digging into these!

Also 3 from Smalls Live, if you go back a couple pages.
  • edited July 2013
    Just for the record:

The vocal genius Jaap Blonk @ FMA:
    Jaap_Blonk_-_20110624131643616.jpg?width=290&height=290
    Jaap_Blonk__Splinks_-_Splinks_-_2011080910244114.jpg?width=290&height=290 Jaap_Blonk__Dylan_Nyoukis_-_Dubbletwee_-_20121129100616145.jpg?width=290&height=290 Jaap_Blonks_Iles_Flottantes_-_Off_Shore_-_2011102872241404.jpg?width=290&height=290 Jaap_Blonk__BRAAXTAAL_Jaap_Blonk_Rob_Daenen_Theo_Bodewes_-_BRAAXTAAL_-_2011080912308231.jpg?width=290&height=290
  • 41KZI99hRQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Free on Amazon UK
  • Lowercase Noises - all digital downloads through to Friday (9th Aug) on their Bandcamp page are name-your-price with a $0 minimum.
  • Thanks Paul, I saw this today and forgot all about it, some great music here
  • edited August 2013
    51W4AyY79gL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Free on Amazon UK
  • Pony Bwoy - s/t

Debut on the label Totally Gross National Product, which is run by Justin Vernon pal Ryan Olson who is also the brains behind Gayngs and Polica. The label is often quite experimental and this album certainly is. It's indie R&B at its core, but with samples and instrumentation that really take it outside of any genre. Highly recommended for all, but especially amclark2 and thom. And BN, but for different parts of the music.

Craig
  • 300x300.jpg

Label profile by Jonah. Looking forward to digging into this.
  • Just discovered that whilst on hold I cannot download free albums from emusic -shame!!
  • While my littlest listens to Raffi on the headphones, I wanted to post some of my favorite artists , some mentioned here or on other threads, that have come for nada. I've tried to remove many of the artists that were only available for free temporarily though I'm not sure. This is for those of you willing to dig some.

Nheap: Clounds under the Table
    Panabrite: Frequency Bath II
    Rocky Marsiano: The Pyramid Sessions
    Strange Attractor: Everything Is Closer
    L'Orange: Old Soul
    Al Sabo: Al Sabo
    Glowhouse: Shadows Left Me Alive
    Milieu: Slow Lid Close
    Derek Gripper: One Night on Earth
    The Jazz Jousters: Bobby Hutcherson Album
    Menion: Menion
    Bob Reynolds: Live at the Jazz Corner