September Downloads

edited September 2009 in General
I'll start this early now that I've blown almost all my emu credits.
Still bugger all new stuff arriving at Amie for the UK, so I've been crate digging again and discovered I like the band Jesu.
Rubbish name but good music.

eMusic:
Albums
Cedric IM Brooks & The Light of Saba - The Magical Light of Saba
Lusine - A Certain Distance
Celer - Engaged Touches
Susanna And The Magical Orchestra - 3
The Cave Singers - Welcome Joy
Jon Hassell - Last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street
The Boats - Words are Something Else

Singles
Sic Alps - L Mansion
Robert Hood - Obey / Resurrection
Megan Henwood - What Elliott Said
Various Production & The Silt - How Can You Stand (featuring The Silt)
Dorian Concept - Trilingual Dance Sexperience
Dark Captain Light Captain - Remix EP

Amie Street:
Jesu - Jesu
Envy/Jesu - Split
Jesu - Conqueror
Jesu - Why Are We Not Perfect EP
Jesu - Lifeline EP

Comments

• I still have about 100 eMu credits to go but here's what I've picked up so far this month...

Amazon
    Vivaldi: The Four Seasons/Violin Concertos: Itzhak Perlman
    Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke

eMusic
    John Luther Adams: For Lou Harrison
    Lou Harrison: Chamber & Gamelan Works
    On Photography - Bryars, Maskats, Silvestrov
    Philip Glass: Complete String Quartets

Amie Street
    Flevans - Make New Friends
    Taken By Trees - East Of Eden
    Mayer Hawthorne - A Strange Arrangement
    Nudge - As Good As Gone
    Phish - Joy
    Nicolay - City Lights Vol. 2: Shibuya
    Rodrigo y Gabriela - 11:11
    Alan Wilkis - Babies Dream Big
    The Jaguar Club - And We Wake Up Slowly
  • how's 11:11???
  • How is the Taken By Trees? When I noticed it added it was already up to about $3-$4 and while I enjoyed the samples I decided I didn't enjoy them quite enough. Now I'm regretting that decision.

Craig
  • I really like the Taken By Trees album. Almost got it from eMu but plumped for the new Susanna instead.
    Very different from the first album (which I loved), but just as good on first few listens.
    I'll keep streaming it from Spotify for now unless I can find it for sensible money elsewhere.
  • @cafreema I <3 the Taken By Trees album so much. It was a "why the hell not" impulse by and I am so glad I did.

@brittleblood 11:11 is, as to be expected, very good. I've only got two listens under my belt but I am really enjoying it.
  • From eMusic:

The Legends of Benin – Various
    Town and Country – Humble Pie (still going through a 60s british blues rock super group phase …)
    Super Bad – Don Covay
    Allen Toussaint – The Saint of New Orleans – Various Artists
    Acid – Ray Barretto
    El Barrio: The Bad Boogaloo Nu Yorcian Sounds 1966-1970 – Various Artists
    Many Lessons: Hip Hop, Islam and West Africa – Various
    Sensacional Soul Vol. 2 -- Various
    Better Times Will Come – Diana Jones (the previews soundeed really good but the album is actually “meh.”)

Elsewhere:
    Acquired Taste – Delbert McClinton (iTunes)
    The Bright Mississippi – Allen Toussaint (hard copy)
  • From eMusic

A.A. Bondy - American Hearts & When the Devil's Loose (i've said what I think of this guy on another thread).
    Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussein & Edgar Meyer, with the Detroit Symphony Orhcestra - the Melody of Rhythm. (Bluegrass meets Classical, with a tabla thrown in. Much better than it should be).
    Cappella Artemisia - Le Monache Di San Vito (Bunch of Italian singers trying their best to sound like 16thC nuns. Mkae a good job of it).
    Eels - Live with Strings (Katrina mentioned Eels on another post, which gave me a nudge. This is the only Eels available over this side of the Atlantic. It is good).
    Family - Old Songs, New Songs (takes me back to my student days - I saw them a couple of times, including the concert at the Roundhouse where Chapman learned how to swing the microphone from Roger Daltrey).
    Gianluigi Trovesi Octet - Les Hommes Arm
  • ** Herbie Mann - title track from Push Push (just so I can get that wonderful cover on my iTunes)**

ROFL -- I had exactly the same thought!!
  • edited September 2009
    xtrev - how is the Lusine - A Certain Distance album, have thought about it when my downloads refresh next week, worth it?

NankerP - how is the The Legends of Benin album? Somehow Benin seems to have been off of my African music aquiring radar for some reason, I seem to have plenty from almost all of that continents countries, but can't think of any thing from Benin that I have.

TimMason, thanks for highlighting the Oubaba J.A. Adofa Live album, I'd not seen that over there before.
  • My first impressions of the Lusine album are a little disappointing.
    The girly singers are very good and it's all very nice but the amount of vocals put me off a bit.
    It'll probably grow on me and sound good when a track shuffles in unexpectedly, but as an album it's trying too hard to go for the pop market for my taste.
  • edited September 2009
    emusic:

Zu-Carboniferous ( brain shaking metal skronk with a funk to it)
    4 Corners- s/t ( Ken Vandermark and friends; live and lively.7 songs 70+ minutes)
    Naked Prey-Under the Blue Marlin (Green On Red offshoot; Crazy Horse after hours)
    Raging Slab-Sing Monkey Sing (Aerosmith,ZZ Top,Beefheart and Grunge)
    Leopold and his Fiction- Aint No Surprise (Marc Bolan,Jim Morrison and Ray Davies playing folky west coast garage/blues/pop)
    Mike Trask+Mud Hill -Boots For Flying (muscular working class rock with rowdy guitar and growled vocals)
    Los Tailpipes-s/t (Texas gulf coast surf boogies and roadhouse blues garage)
    Baby Woodrose-s/t (Elevators meet Seeds meet Love; the album Anton Newcombe could make if he would just get off his ass)
    Poobah-Underground (Dumb lyrics but over the top guitar wankery; holds a soft spot in my head)
    Fat Mattress-s/t (Noel Redding's post Experience band; good late 60s psych rock with bonus material)
    Husker Du-Zen Arcade (This is sonically pleasing but the vocals get me about half the time; I can handle mumbled,grumbled, shouted and howled but I am having a hard time acclimating to the shriek and screech)
  • @ dubdance yes, defintely worth getting if you like the Afro-Funk thing. Benin's mix of traditional African and funk/rock hits the sweet spot for me. The first song Dadje Von O Von Non should pull you right in, I reckon.
  • NankerP, Ray Barretto's Acid is a classic. I recently got the Latin Soul Man best of collection to get a sampling of other albums.

TimMason, I'm glad you like the Gianluigi Trovesi. I also have From G to G and Around Small Fairy Tales but can't remember which one I like better. Les Hommes Arm
  • Here's how I finished out the month with those 100 eMusic credits...

Karen Dalton - In My Own Time
    Tinariwen - Imidiwan: Companions
    The Roots of Chicha: Psychedelic Cumbias From Peru
    Cigar Store Indians - El Baile De La Cobra
    Si, Para Usted - The Funky Beats of Revolutionary Cuba Vol. 1
    Mia Riddle - Tumble And Drag
    The Bad Boogaloo - Nu Yorican Sounds 1966-70

I'm really excited to listen to the Karen Dalton album because of the Katie Cruel track that was on a Light in the Attic sampler. So. Good.
  • elwoodicious "I'm really excited to listen to the Karen Dalton album because of the Katie Cruel track that was on a Light in the Attic sampler. So. Good."

You won't be disappointed. The first track Something On Your Mind with its Richard Thompson/Fairport vibe is sublime.
  • I'm sitting on 152 downloads that all basically expire at the end of September. And I've got 150 discs in my Saved For Later que. So I'll go on a downloading binge in a few days.
  • edited September 2009
    @tim + sr mojo: the husker du thing is going to be tough as it's now 20 +years removed from its origin and so many things are derivative of what they did that it prolly is next to impossible to context it.

play celebrated summer and i'm cranking the speakers + crashing off the walls...move along to grant's 2541 and i can't think of a more intimate song laced with everystumble.

we put our names on the mailbox
    we put everything else in the past
    it was the first place we had to ourselves
    i didn't know it would be the last

add to it that they toured a ton - worked the midwest hard - and became a lead part of american college-aged near-angst...for that gen.

sr mojo - get 2541 by grant hart! (covered by marshall crenshaw + go-betweens' singer)
  • i had a vinyl copy of "Warehouse Songs and Stories" sitting around, and in the spirit of fair play, gave it a listen as i burned it to CD. I still prefer this slightly toned down version though I'm guessing it was not as well received by those loyal to what came before.

also, forgot to mention downloading and loving the live "Sweep The Leg Johnny" on emusic.
    this music was instrumental in pushing me through the last legs of a long drive fueled by too much caffeine and too little sleep. high energy with smarts, saxophone and plenty of attitude.
  • @hoosfoos haven't made it to Dalton yet because The Roots of Chicha has completely and utterly blown my mind. Why in the hell did I never hear of this album when it hit the streets 2 years ago? Damn it is so good.
  • edited September 2009
    I think tomorrow's going to be the big day for me. I've got to start reducing my que, which has 150 discs in it. The likeliest contenders for immediate download:

• Various Artists -- Ghana Soundz (Soundways Comp)
    • Mew -- And The Glass-Handed Kites
    • A Sunny Day in Glasgow -- Ashes Grammer
    • Rodrigo y Gabriela -- 11:11 (O_O, this act rocks)
    • The Clean -- Mr. Pop
    • Polvo -- In Prism
    • HEALTH -- Get Color
    • Wild Beasts -- Two Dancers
    • Terence Trent D'Arby -- Symphony Or Damn

And I've still got 20 -- 30 more that I totally want.
  • edited September 2009
    Thanks xtrev & NankerP for your feedback.

I think I'll sit on the Lusine album for now, listen to the samples a bit more, I must admit that it didn't really grab me as a must download as soon as I heard it. Like a lot of artists these days, I seem to like the early stuff and then they seem to lose the hook that got me after a few releases.

I definitely am into Afrofunk so I think the Benin album will be downloaded as soon as emusic decide that today really is the day that my downloads refresh.

Thanks Daniel, Esq. for the Ghana Soundz listing, that too had passed me by until now.
  • Daniel, definitely get the new Rodrigo Y Gabriela. It's not just a rehash of their last album - really impressive outing. Got Wild Beasts free on Amie and so far dig it. Mew is a weird one. I like the album, but "Special" is the only standout track for me. Then again, the entire thing plays best continuously. Not a "must have" in my mind.

Thanks for pointing out the Ghana comp, I'll probably be getting that and the Polvo (even though I'm miffed about the album-only) rather than cutting down on my SFL.
  • I've been busy the last month, so dl's were sparser than normal.

Lala
    Anderson and Bain, The Silver Bow

eMusic
    The Wanderers, The Wanderers Cheese Out
    Terry Gibbs, Dream Band
    Bob Cooper, Coop!
    Buddy Collette, Man of Many Parts (awesome playing and compositions, but 128 kps!)
    Hesperion XXI, Estampies and Danses Royales
    Sir Victor Uwaifo, Guitar-boy Superstar
    Becuzzi and Orsi, Muddy Speaking Ghosts Through My Machine (thanks, Brighternow)
    Scott Tuma, Not for Nobody
    Trespass Trio, Was There To Illuminate the Sky
    John Hebert, Byzantine Monkey
    Dengue Fever, Venus on Earth
    Clark and Duhon, Old Time Cajun Music
    Himmelman, My Trampoline
    Steve Lacy, More Monk

Amie Street
    Davis, In a Silent Way
    Cymbals Eat Guitars, Why There Are Mountains
  • edited September 2009
    So I nabbed the Rodrigo y Gabriela disc, among many others. Totally worth it. Also got most of what's in the bullet-point above, plus a few others:

• Drive-By Truckers – Gangstability
    • The Big Pink – A Brief History of Love
    • The Slickers – Break Through
    • Washed Out – Life of Leisure
    • The Twilight Sad – Forget The Night Ahead
  • edited September 2009
    I had a big download session the other day when my last refresh happened. I took up some of the recommendations from people here and on other threads on this site, thanks to you, they're worth it.

I've got 12 downloads left. As these may be my last ever from emu as my subscription is up in October and I'll only put my account on hold at the most then, I'm not sure what to blow the remaining ones on. I'm looking for something that relates to my nickname, something dubby probably, possibly electronic, maybe something in the Twilight Circus/Dubmatix/ON-U Sound influenced vein, there are a few M Records singles that I may use them on. Anyone have any great recommendations? If it's not as described above, no matter, there's a fairly broad range of music that I'm into, something jazzy, something like the Little Axe/Fat Possum reworks of certain blues styles, maybe some Iranian-Pacific Island-technorumba crossover that I've never heard of.

So far my downloads this week have been all or most of the following releases' tracks:

Novalima - Coba Coba Remixed
    Legends of Benin
    Ghana Soundz
    Degree - Dubwiser
    Deadbeat - Take me back to London town & Versionist Carmot EP
    Panama! - Latin, Calypso And Funk On The Isthmus 1965-75
    Booniay!!_ A Compilation Of West African Funk
  • edited September 2009
    Did you get that new Cedric IM Brooks' disc? It's dubby and jazzy. Very good, too. 17 Dots did a blog post on it recently.

Not all dub, by any means, but I also loved The Slickers' Break Through. They're the band that contributed Johnny Too Bad to the awesome The Harder They Come soundtrack. I didn't realize they recorded anything else. It's an unearthed gem.
  • @ Dubdance- the all music guide review on the Little Axe page captures "Hard Grind" pretty well.
    Definitely a "soundtrack for writhing late-night sexual trysts, dark morning soul-searching, long drives into the unknown, and sitting still and staring into the face of oblivion."
  • edited September 2009
    Daniel,Esq. - thanks, they both sound good to me, especially the Cedric Brooks, the AMG review captures it well, Hugh Masakela, Fela, Lonnie Liston Smith and Horace Silver influences are definitely there in the samples, all people I've liked for ages, that might be the one I go for. I might have to invest in a booster!

Edit - I've gone for 11 of this album's tracks, and am very happy with them on first listen, so thanks a lot, they sort of sum up a mix of a lot of what I listen to and seem a pretty apt sign off from emu, if they are to be my last downloads from there.

The recs I've got from this site have all been spot on, so thanks to you all and thanks to xtrev for getting it up and running, the contributions here are sound, from real music lovers and not a whinge about crap selections either, so far, must be some pretty good bouncers on the emusers door!

selfrisinmojo - I've got Hard Grind, but thanks for the rec anyway. I've been into them from their first releases and have managed to get hold of some of their white label releases too, and seen them live quite a lot. You capture their style of mood setting pretty well! If you like them, have you heard King Britt's Presents: Sister Gertrude Morgan or some of Chris Thomas King's Dirty South Hip-Hop Blues ? Both make similar sounds to Little Axe, though not as good, but far better than Moby's big time rip-off of the style IMHO. I've spent ages searching for similar stuff and not found a lot, certainly on emu, there is a bit from Fat Possum releases like New Beats From The Delta . There are usually some freebies on the Fat Possum website that are worth checking out.
  • dubdance-can't take credit for the mood setting, that was at the end of the amg review.
    I have grabbed some of Chris Thomas King's stuff and your right, it is not as good.
    Some of Pig in the Can's stuff fits into the style, though definitely not as smoothly as Little Axe.

you might like "troubled" by i.j. smith which i did describe as "Perfect for putting your groove on simmer while you decide where to take it; or just need to let it recover from where it has been."
  • amie: the pastels + tenniscoats: twin sunsets. cafreema's gonna throw away all his indie practicalities and jump all over this one. grabbed some 50% off credits and then snarfed.