RIP

Comments

• What a loss - I saw him about 12 years ago, still great then even though he was 80
  • I got to see Brubeck twice, once about 15 years ago, and then again maybe 8 years ago. Even in his 80's the guy was a great player. One of my first Jazz memories was finding my dad's records, one of which was an old Brubeck Quartet live album on clear red vinyl. I made a cassette copy and played that thing over and over again.
  • Wish I had gotten to see him. "Take Five" is definitely one of the first songs to get me interested in jazz and Time Out was one of the first jazz albums I purchased.

via Paste
  • It was my first or second jazz album, too.
  • It was certainly my first jazz album by several years
  • Ravi Shankar - sitar master, and also father of Norah Jones. Highly influential upon George Harrison.
  • Also an influence on Philip Glass.
    Shankar's Symphony was one of my favourite recordings of the year. His daughter Anoushka plays sitar on this.

61XTVGeHh0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited December 2012
    There's also the Passages album from 1990 with compositions by Glass and Shankar:
    4020e893e7a08b7cd6915110.L._AA300_.jpg

- I was reminded about a fascinating story about a very young Danish lad, Jonas Stampe (aka. Snöleoparden) who in 1997 went to India with his guitar on his back. When he arrived in New Delhi he went to the Danish embassy to ask for help with finding a sitar school. They could'nt find any and asked him if he knew any names. Ravi Shankar was the only name he knew and was given Shankar's address.
    - When he arrived to Shankar's house he was greeted welcome by the staff because they were expecting a visit from Europe.
    He somehow managed to make such an impression on Ravi Shankar that he stayed in the house for a week or so. After having heard Jonas playing his guitar, Shankar offered to supervise his education as a sitar player and send him of to one of his schools in Calcutta.
    - In 1999 Jonas was on tour with Shankar playing tambura.

There's some clips on youtube from a Danish TV show where Jonas tells about this. (in Danish): Part 1 - Part 2
  • I knew about how influential he was, but had no idea he was Norah Jones' father.
  • edited December 2012
    Sad news,
    May he rest in peace in the Gadda-da-Vida
  • edited December 2012
    Fontella Bass co-writer and singer of one the great soul songs, Rescue Me (the video is marred at the beginning and end by the presence of some wanker who I guess used to be in a band).
  • edited January 2013
    This is from october:
    John Tchicai, Saxophone Player in Free Jazz Movement, Dies at 76

I will always remember John for his time in Pierre Dørge's New Jungle Orchestra and Cadentia Nova Danica

- And for two events:
    Back in the early punk days he was a guest at a show with a band called Sods (later Sort Sol) - on this occation John left the audience in a state of total amazement.

At an outdoor show in Copenhagen there was a storm coming up and all the bands sheets were blowing away.
    At this point John said: We need klemmers ! - This is Danish/English for We need clamps.
    :-)

I'll miss him.
  • Just got around to reading my No Depression newsletter. Not the musician, but one of the inspirations behind him -- a nice tribute to Arlo's late wife:

For Jackie Guthrie: An Appreciation-Remembering Mrs. G
  • Reg Presley, singer with UK sixties band The Troggs, perhaps most famous for the single Wild Thing.
  • Tony Sheridan. Little known outside the UK and Germany but his significance is as an early collaborator with and encourager of the Beatles. Their very first recordings, made in Germany, were as his backing band.
  • edited February 2013
    Tony was big in Denmark too, mostly for the single with The Beatles:
    4dd6def48b6276ba48efb84011052d87-600x609.jpg
    The Beatles recorded this in Hamburg, Germany in 1961. They became much better musicians after playing clubs in Germany in 1961-1962. Most of their material was cover songs, and by the time they learned to write songs, they were excellent performers.
    The Beatles were backing up Tony Sheridan when they recorded this, but after they hit it big the song was essentially credited to them.
    This was released in Germany in 1961 and credited to Tony Sheridan and The Beat Brothers. Paul said in a radio interview on Anthology 1 that this got to #5 on the German Hit Parade when it was released. (thanks, Adrian - Wilmington, DE)
    The Beatles came to the attention of Brian Epstein when 18-year-old Raymond Jones came into his record store and asked for this. Jones told Epstein about The Beatles and how they played at The Cavern Club, which was near the store. Epstein eventually became their manager and helped lead them to stardom.
    Pete Best was still their drummer when they recorded this. He got royalties when it was released on The Beatles Anthology albums.
    This wasn't released in America until 1964, 3 years after it was recorded. The original release of the single is a very rare collector's item.
    http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=211
  • Kevin Ayres of 1960s psychedelic band, Soft Machine
  • That article includes a very nice tribute from Robert Wyatt. I still remember one of the guys at my old record shop (Tunes) recommending Joy of a Toy to me. Damn, I don't have it up on Google Music yet...
  • edited February 2013
    Magic Slim

The Teardrops will come...
  • edited February 2013
  • Alvin Lee, lead guitarist of 60s band Ten Years After see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21688814
  • I saw Ten Years After in NYC a couple of times at the Filmore East, I think as an opener for Janice Joplin & Big Brother one of the times. Lee was a fantastic performer.
  • Stompin' Tom Connors dies at 77

A true Canadian legend, he'll be sadly missed. I'll also miss Alvin Lee- Undead is still one of my all-time favourite albums.