Suggestion Box

12346»

Comments

• So my expressed opinion has infinite times more weight than anyone else's. Why would that make you nervous, Gp? :)
  • Well I guess my defense could be "kargatron said so" when the pushback arrives. What's your address for the pitchforks?
  • edited March 2015
    Generally speaking, I like the idea of having a few threads telling a bit about what Emusers is about and what new people can expect, on top of  the front page. If there's other ways of doing that, then by all means . . .
    - And personally, I like it the way it is.

I don't have much of an opinion about the categories, but I will never speak to you again if you as much as touch the "Whirling Dervish" - (reminds me of good old Frogkopf)
    :-)

I wonder what happens if you use the "dismiss" tool on the announcements ?

• Go ahead and try it. I can always fix anything. I think.
  • Oh, I dare not !
    - I thought if it makes them go away, - problem solved.
  • Fakegermanprof just tried it. It does make them go away. Further testing may reveal that they come back of there is a new post. But that happens anyway when new posts get added to threads.

@kargatron, maybe this does solve your preference - click on the cogwheel at the top right of each announcement thread and select "dismiss" and they will disappear from your list, but not from anyone else's.
  • Works for me, I can deal with 'dismissing', and have now done so. 
  • I am on the road in Norway for a while and not online every day, and there has been a steady trickle of applications to join the board - if there are any other admins checking in, could you keep an eye on the dashboard for approving applications so that they do not sit too long? I am keeping more or less on top of them but might miss a day or two.
  • edited April 2019
    While we are about this forum's appearance  . . .

I think the beginners guide could do with a makeover and some cleaning up.
    As it is now, it begins with @thomnottom 's post that hasn't been updated for 4 years and starts with a bunch of code gibberish . . . followed by a loooong discussion about codes that hasn't been relevant for years now.
  • edited June 2019
    We had a category called "itunes freebies" that contained 5 threads, only one of which was remotely connected to freebies, and that was a thread about amazon freebies. None of them were about itunes freebies as far as I could tell. The threads had no traffic for the past decade, and none had more than a handful of comments in the first place. I moved them to General and deleted the category.

I also created a new category and put it at the top of the category list. It is called Sales, Finds, and Freebies, and I am in the process of gathering all the threads there that have to do with tips for things to buy at a bargain price or download for free. This will solve a pet peeve of mine which is that when I want to post a bandcamp sale I have to search for the thread, and we have started several sale threads. So now it should be easier to review all the recent hot downloading tips.

I will continue to pick away at rationalizing the categories as I get time. I won't delete anything, just tidy the categories.
  • edited June 2019
    This leads me to a policy question.
    Is everything ever posted on here to be kept for the ages, or should we tidy up (i.e. delete) threads like this one and this one that have a single post telling us about a sale that ended 5 years ago?
    I ask this in awareness that it opens a can of worms (where does one draw the line and who decides?)
  • edited June 2019
    (I also removed the New Age category. It contained two ancient threads, neither of which had anything at all to do with New Age music. I moved them to General.)

Other ideas:
    1. Delete "Metal" (used once in the last 8 years) and rename "Rock Pop" as "Pop, Rock, Metal"? 2. Throw "Punk" in there too? Blues? (Maybe take out the Pop threads and combine separately with Hip Hop?)
    3. Combine Folk & Country? (27 threads between them)
    4. Combine Electronic & Ambient?
    5. Combine Blues with R&B?
    6. Move Latin to International? (Reggae too? - 2 threads) (Rename to World, Latin, Reggae?)

Any opinions?

• I have no problem with any of this, make things tidy and easy to find seems a good idea. Also I figured you deserve feeback for the work!

• Looks good to me
  • edited June 2019

Gennerally speaking, cleaning up is a good thing and I trust that you will do what is good for this forum.

It took some time to find the - Some threads of possible interest post of mine
    - It needs a bit of editing and cleaning up.
    I thought that once I get it done, I would post it on the beginner's guide if it's ok with you (and others) ?

• Yes, good idea, please do.
  • Well done GP, many thanks for your time on this