THINGS I HATE HATE HATE!

edited February 2010 in Fight Club
(1) Right-wing assholes in cowboy hats who pose like they have a stick up their ass sideways and sing about trite pseudo-truisms as if they have some sort of special insight into the human condition to impart on the rest of us.
(2) Overuse of Autotune, especially by whimps that can’t sing – I’m looking at you Owl Shitty!
(3) Flaccid, smoothed over R & B – Quiet storm? Storms are supposed to rage – either start raging like a real storm or shut the hell up!
(4) Modern “compositions” that rely on random jarring sounds to create the sense drama. Is that awkwardly placed CRASH-plink-plink…..CRASH-plink……budda-budda-budda-budda-BOOM! (with the last part always played on the kettle drums) supposed to represent alienation in the modern world? It might have worked 60 years ago for the first 10 composers while the average folk fearfully watch the skyscrapers being built, but now it’s just lazy and unimaginative. To me it sounds like I when accidentally knock over the silverware drawer, and it elicits the same annoyed response on my part.
(5) Alt-grunge-corporate-indy douchbags with sensitivity on parade – what made Kurt Cobain great was his ability to convey depth of feeling without sounding like he’s busting a gut. The most of you guys sound like David Clayton-Thomas sitting on the pot the morning after a visit to the all you can eat burrito bar.
(6) Timid raciness – incense, wine and candles – what the hell is so “kinky” about that? Also, obvious raciness of the level akin to a kid going nuts with using of the f-bomb, the first time he discovers he can get a rise out of all the adults in the room. If you’re going smutty, either make me laugh, or astonish me with your creativity.
(7) “Eclectic” Musicians –the ones that steal a motif or a riff from various other musics only to slick it up, water it down, and then apply it to their own uninspired compositions. If you are labeled eclectic, it’s usually meant as an insult (cf. damning with faint praise)
(8) Wordiness for wordiness’ sake - you are not Dylan ok? You’re not Neil Young or Elvis Costello either. So take a clue from miles Davis that less is oftentimes more. Worst offender – Elvis Costello.
(9) Bad Photoshop art on album covers. Ok, I realize that with the rise of digital music that album cover art is a lost art form. But you know, we still look at your album art to see if the album might look interesting enough to actually listen to. If what you put out looks like anything any newbie is able to make with Photoshop 5 minutes after first learning to use the program, we will not be impressed – even if there is a naked woman involved there somewhere.
(10) Any album with more than two “guest stars”.
(11) Bad Pop with a Twang, which brings us full circle.

Comments

• Man! Who pulled your chain today?

I've been meaning to ask - how do you recognize Autotune? Most of the music I like isn't always on pitch -- or else I don't have good ears to recognize when it's on or off.
  • You know what's kinky? Candles and pancakes:

screen-shot-2010-01-20-at-4.52.52-pm-300x165.png

Craig
  • Come on, have some compassion. It's hard wearing skin-tight jeans when you have a stick up your ass sideways.
  • edited February 2010
    1. I must point out that Elvis Costello is, in fact Elvis Costello.
    Nice girls not one with a defect, cellophane shrink-wrapped, so correct. Red dogs under illegal legs. She looks so good that he gets down and begs. ...
    I like this from E.C., not so much from the wannabes. Which words would you remove to improve the verse (remember it also has to scan, one of my pet peeves with so-called songwriters.

2. While we're on my pet peeves, strained rhymes/non-rhymes make me cringe. "Christmas Eve in Washington" is a particularly egregious offender and I unfortunately live in the DC area where it's on the radio 20 times a day during the Christmas season. It's a good thing a special tool is required to remove the radio in my truck, because every time that song comes on I want to rip the radio out and throw it out the window.

3. Recognizing auto-tune: If you feel inexplicably nauseous, that could be the cause. Seriously, though: Used as intended by its creators, auto-tune sands all of the variations off the singer's pitch (okay, the amount of correction is adjustable, but a singer that needs it needs a setting that will remove any presence the singer is able to muster. Then there are the auto-tune abusers. Simple formula: Turn the correction to 11, the attack time to next week, and deliberately (giving benefit of the doubt) sing off key and stretch the words out. This causes a very audible pitch shift: I-a wa-aawnt to-ou sa-ae... Note that a good singer could produce this effect without any electronics, though most have the sense not to. This wah-wah generally substitutes for original/creative/interesting lyrics. I'd go through 7 radios a week if I listened to the stations that play that crap, special tool or not. Yeah, one of my pet peeves too.
  • I love a lot of E.C. through Blood and Chocolate. After 1987, not so much - very hit and miss. Along with the Clash and a handful of other artists, he was the soundtrack of my coming of age.

The problem E.C. has is that he doesn't always know when play a phrase cool, or when the wordplay is excessive. There's a line between brilliantly witty and self-consciously clever, and he crosses it regularly - and when he does, prepare to duck.

You're right about his followers - many of them are absolutely cringeworthy.

I have the similar urge concerning Owl City as you do for "Christmas Eve in Washington", except I want to drive 60 miles south and give the guy a serious beating in person. Good thing I'm too lazy.
  • I 1 million times prefer auto-tune used as a robo-effect, by, like Kanye, but more by the people like Mavado (link) who I'm pretty sure that this dancehall thing is what Kanye was ripping off, and find it odd that no-one seems to call him on that, but anyway much prefer that use to the proper intended use. Like if you can't sing, then don't sing, or use your bad voice proudly like Johnny Cash, but don't use a machine to pretend you can sing. And I feel pretty sure that that new Vampire Weekend album is auto tuned throughout, and they just tweaked it for the effect on that one song, and I can't really figure out what makes them better than the old Owlster, and I also can't figure out why I paid $3 or $4 for their album which I should have just skipped like the first one.
  • I have one EC song in my library marked with one star. In my scheme one star is sort of the recycle bin. That song is King Horse. In the interest of Science I played it to see why I gave it that rating. It's too many words for the musical structure they're crammed into.
  • I must point out that Elvis Costello is, in fact Elvis Costello.

Elvis Costello came out as Declan McManus, and it's been pretty much downhill ever since. I think I gave up after he committed the lines :
    He thought he was the King of America, where they drink Coca Cola just like vintage wine

to which the only reasonable reaction is "No they $*€@# don't, why are you being so silly?"
  • edited February 2010
    @TimMason: EC said we pour Coca Cola just like vintage wine. I won't deconstruct this other than to say it's a jab.

Now in the second set of verses he starts off:
    She said that she was working for the ABC News
    It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use
    I don't have a problem with the vintage wine verse, but even if I did I'd forgive it for the sake of this verse.
  • My favorite moment, from the same album:
    Though he wasn't tall or handsome
    She laughed when he told her
    I'm the Sheriff of Nottingham
    And this is Little John.
  • I speak Double Dutch
    to a Real Double Dutchess....
  • Seen this E.C. wiki?

I'll have to say that I've enjoyed what little I've seen of his current TV show.
  • I'm not on your list froggie?

RayRay23
  • Welcome aboard! See, that wasn't so hard.
  • Registration is simply a request for a username and password. I suspect the hard part is to come. But, thanks for inviting me...
  • edited February 2010
    Welcome Raymond !

Maybe the reason is that you are a human being, not a "thing" ? - ;-)
  • Every damn picture on the Amie St. new releases page. They all seem to try a bit too hard to scream "indie" to me so that I suspect none of the people in those pictures are actual musicians, but instead stock photos held in a corporate database and used each time some focus group moderator decides he needs an indie image for whatever crap he's selling.
    I want to punch all those people in the mouth.
    On a more positive note, the snow's falling here in bluegrass country. Very pretty.
  • Dr Mutex : it appears you are right. But 'they' don't pour Coca Cola like vintage wine either - least, I never saw anyone do that when I was there. As to 'as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use', 'tis an old joke, leastways where I come from.

But the real turning point for me, I suppose, came when someone played me the Brodsky Quartet record. Dire, dire, dire.
  • Right-wing assholes in cowboy hats who pose like they have a stick up their ass sideways and sing about trite pseudo-truisms as if they have some sort of special insight into the human condition to impart on the rest of us.

Hey Frog,

Thought you'd like to know you've been quoted as a model of correct use of the American vernacular vulgar. I'm on a language message board, and a foreign student posted a question on the meaning of the phrase "a stick up one's ass." I posted the above quote as an example of proper usage. So you know, keep up the good work.
  • I hate debtors who die in the middle of foreclosure redemption periods thereby not redeeming from the sale and forcing me to get the Sheriff to break down the door so I can sell the freakin' house for pennies on the dollar. Plus, who knows what I'll find when the Sheriff does break the door down. For all I know this guy could have been a hoarder.

Anyone want to buy a house in south Minneapolis?

(Yes, I know I'm being callous. I don't care.)

Craig
  • Callous and couldn't care less?

Sounds like somthing from a song.
  • I have found that after turning 60 it became difficult to hate anything at all for longer than five minutes at a time. This is a loss of far greater import than a missing molar or fallen arches.

Among the things that no longer arouse me to fury are :

Johnny Halliday
    Johnny Cash
    Johnny Rotten
    Jane Fonda
    Joan Jett
    Gerry Marsden
    Joe Jackson
    Janet Jackson
    Georgie Fame
    Janacek
    Johnny Paycheck
    Sister Playchick
    Shirley Temple
    Bad driving
    Good driving
    Deep-sea driving
    Doner kebabs
    Digital drummers
    Dogs
    Earwigs
    Euphonia
    False witnesses
    Bald beavers
    Dammed Yanquis
    Cycle-helmets
    Sickles
    Hammers
    Porridge
    Hawaiian guitars
    Public hangings
    Piles
    Pile-drivers

on the other hand, I can get slightly irritated by estate agents who want me to sell my house even though the market's way down, and, unaccountably, C
  • How can you hate "Deep-sea driving"?!?!?

James Bond deep-sea drives and he rules, ergo, deep-sea driving rules.

Craig
  • edited March 2010
    Tim...
    I have'nt quite made it to 60 yet, but I'm damned close.

Things I don't hate as much as I used to:

Michael Bolton
    George Michael
    Boy George
    Barbara Streysand
    Oprah
    Opera
    Liberache
    Rod Steward
  • Tim, I love half the things you used to hate!
  • Wait, on second thought, maybe I love just 5 things you used to hate.
  • after turning 60...
    have'nt quite made it to 60...

There's a group for that
  • let me guess; Doner Kebab, Earwigs, Bald Beavers, Poridge and Johnny Paycheck
  • Okay, I have a few years over you guys. There isn't much left that is worth the energy it takes to hate. I still get pretty peeved at people who leave their shopping carts in empty parking spots or smugged up to my car. I really need to let that one go, too.
  • lol. no, i'd say:

Johnny Cash
    Joan Jett
    Joe Jackson
    Boy George
    Opera