Those were the days . . .

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Yeah, but FC was really hot in the group of "flowerchildren" I was hanging out with.
    What was available in those days was very much subject to the local record stores and distributors. That has certainly changed.

How about this then:

From 1969, a really mindblowing album and a must for fans of early Fleetwood Mac:
    41h3J-V792L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    - "The British blues-rock boom was such a big deal at the end of the 1960s that plenty of also-ran bands got the chance to fill out the bottom of concert and festival bills, and also to record. Sam Apple Pie were among them, and their self-titled debut album didn't offer much in the style that was out of the ordinary, though it did possess basic competence. You needed more than basic competence to make a mark, however, even in a genre that could be as hidebound as British blues. Sam Apple Pie didn't have those extra special somethings, relying too much upon stock blues riffs and good-time energy that might have been effective in a concert setting, but are pretty dull on record. If any influence from their peers seems strongest, it's early Fleetwood Mac (in both their stinging blues modes and their quieter, more reflective ones). Songs like "Stranger," "Sometime Girl," and "Winter of My Love," with its swooping slide, downcast lyrics, and minor keys, definitely recall some of the Mac's early tunes. But this is way below the level of the Peter Green-helmed Fleetwood Mac in singing, playing, and songwriting, though at least the band wrote every song on the album except one ("Tiger Man [King of the Jungle]," where the macho bluster is so callow that it's uncertain whether it's a parody or a sincere attempt at the real thing). Certainly the standout track, though the least typical one, is "Annabelle," with a soft jazz-classical-rock blend -- and little of the blues -- that's, again, very reminiscent of some of Fleetwood Mac's work in the 1969-1970 period. The sudden detour into a jazzy jam with flute in "Moonlight Man" is another promising avenue that, alas, wasn't explored elsewhere on this release. The 2003 CD reissue on Repertoire adds mono single mixes of two of the songs, "Tiger Man" and "Sometime Girl," as bonus tracks."
    - Allmusic

- Youtube: Winter Of My Love - Moonlight man
  • edited January 2013
    It's 46 years ago today that The Stones was in The Ed Sullivan show with:
    "Lets Spend Some Time Together" - because "night was too controversial for the show.

- Every time Mick sang "time" he did a rolling with his eyes. Subsequently Ed Sullivan said that The Stones would never be invited to his show again.

- Yes, those were the days . . .
  • Tricky's Christiansands was one of the finest things to happen in the 90's.
  • Tricky's Christiansands was one of the finest things to happen in the 90's.
    - Yeah. Speaking about Tricky and the 90's:
    Massive Attack - Angel From the Blue Lines album with the awesome Horace Andy on vocals
    - Another fine thing from the 90's, me thinks . . .
  • edited April 2013
    ?discoserver=api.discogs.com&file=%2Fimage%2FA-253481-1198440179.jpeg&h=&w=300&scaleafter=w&quality=85
  • edited April 2014
    thezombes1.jpg

From 1968, these guys must have listened to Pink Floyd (Pow R. Toc H. perhaps ?)

The Zombies were best known for She's Not There, at least here in DK.
  • edited June 2014
    50 years ago today the beatles visited Copenhagen:
    GetImage.ashx?imageid=949897&sizeid=25 T040664.jpgwww.vad
  • 28 years ago, Pere Ubu's frontman David thomas released this masterpiece with maybe the best line-up of The Wooden Birds or any other David Thomas project:

Monster+Walks+The+Winter+Lake+Cover.jpg
  • eev74sl.jpg

The Allman Joys. Later they changed their name to the Allman Brothers.
  • edited July 2014
    @ P42:
    Do you know the year of this photo ?
    - It must be Greg and Duane with the guitars, I wonder who is who ? - And who the bass player is

I loved this song when I was only 11:
    1780801.jpg

- Still a great rock song . . .

And this:
    SshakinalloverDK.jpg

Oh yes ! - and these:
    GladAllOver45.jpg Bits_and_Pieces_Dave_Clark.jpg
  • I certainly remember them too, BN. Swinging Blue Jeans were a Liverpool band at the time when Liverpool ruled. The DC5 were from London. Although they had several No 1 singles I think they were actually bigger in the States than the UK where they rivalled the Beatles for a while, which certainly wasn't the case here. The Swinging Blue Jeans are still touring the UK even now, although only one original member remains
  • Mrs Lowlife was a big fan of Dave Clark.

As they were the Sound of Tottenham and she being a local of the N17 ( the London postcode) and the fact he lived two streets from her, she often sent him love letters through his front door.

When I commented that he was not that good a drummer, lots of silence plus making the tea for a week was my penance.
  • edited August 2014
    Oboy this looks swell.
    FAN-34731-00.jpg
    The stellar work of singer-songwriter-guitarist and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Nils Lofgren receives a comprehensive retrospective in Face the Music, a definitively annotated nine-CD/one-DVD boxed set that takes in Lofgren’s 45-year solo career, from Fantasy Records.
    You may be a fan of Nils without even knowing it, from his work with Neil Young and especially as a member of the E Street Band
  • - And Ringo Star All Star Band . . .

Nils is a truely wonderful guitarist and a master of overtones.
    - And the best there is to say about The East Street Band

Nils Lofgren - Valentine - WOW !
  • I don't know why exactly but every time I see this thread bumped I immediately think of this that I found on the intrawebs a number of months ago:
    YuppieDrone: The Pheromones

I don't know if I stumbled across them while living the DC area in the mid eighties or from the Dr. Demento Show (didn't actually listen to very many shows so I suspect the former).. or both.
  • edited September 2014
    @BN - I loved that record when it came out, the deep bass, the 'full' sound and so on. I must find it on my iTunes and play it again NOW!
  • edited September 2014
    Oops.
  • Yes I remember those days Doofy. Somehow buying from iTunes etc is not quite the same!
  • ls.jpg

I'm lucky; this is what my local record store looks like now. So these are still the days.
  • I wish.....
  • edited September 2014
    As far as actual rekkid stores go, we are spoiled rotten here in Chicago

1053071_602489569783077_602364670_o-1024x768.jpg
    Dusty Groove

photo+%252811%2529.JPG
    Jazz Record Mart

lauriesinterior1_MelissaGeils.jpg
    Laurie's Planet of Sound

Etc. JRM in particular is worth the trip, if you ever yourself with an hour to kill downtown
  • @Doofy - If there is anywhere in the UK like that I don't know of it!
  • top ten record shops in London? Some of these look good to me...
  • I was going to say, I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't crates of dusty old vinyl to be found somewhere in London (among others).

27 Breathtaking Record Stores You Have To Shop At Before You Die