Those were the days . . .

Comments

• Me feel swell, me work well. 

• Pink Floyd (with Syd Barrett) - See Emily Play (1967)

• The Users-Sick of You/I'm in Love With Today 

From good ol' 1977
  • Thanks BN, way back - probably 45-46 years ago I used to own this LP -I lent it to someone and never got it back, so I haven't heard it in a long time.
  • Imagine if your collection of mixtapes were to be taken seriously as a representation of history. Early jazz collector David W. Niven, donated his collection of annotated tapes (over 10,000 hours worth), that he had compiled to encourage his kids explore his love of jazz.

Archivists have organized his collection, including scans of the tape liner cards. The collection can now be accessed at Archive.org. If you have any interest in early jazz this collection is a true treasure trove. 

Enjoy....
  • My goodness, a trove indeed - thanks.

• Who wants to go to Nick and Carlene's wedding? I don't see his step-father in law among the guests, though
  • edited March 2016

NINA HAGEN - Auf´m Friedhof "Live" 1978

- What a great band she had back in the days . . .

• Tim Buckley - Pleasant Street

- As powerful as it was way back when.
  • edited June 2016
    RE: Hanky Panky:

Tommy James and the Shondells - Hanky Panky

:)
  •     
    The Pink Floyd is from 1967 with Syd Barret and I wasn't there . . .

My favourite magazine . . .

• edited July 2016

I'm Mad Again - The Animals   

- One of the really excellent Rythm and Blues influenced bands from the early sixties, together with Pretty Things, Them, Mayall's Bluesbreakers and ofcourse The Rolling Stones.

The album has recently been uploaded to Emusic digitally remastered in it's original form:
    The Animals album cover

- Together with original albums from Manfred Man, Dave Clark Five, Kinks, Jerry Lee Lewis . . .
    The list is very long.
    - on Rarity Music

Oh Yes, and those were the days . . .

• I keep seeing the title of this thread and always think of this wonderful,
    but melancholic tune:

• rostasi said:
    I keep seeing the title of this thread and always think of this wonderful,
    but melancholic tune:
    Yeah, wonderful and melancholic . . .

Frank Zappa: Filthy Habits

• rostasi said:
    I keep seeing the title of this thread and always think of this wonderful,
    but melancholic tune:
    Yeah, wonderful and melancholic . . .
    Yes! ...and what a world of stories concerning its history and all of those versions she did in other languages. Her career/life was pretty eventful too (married to Tony Visconti, singing on Bowie's Low album and a bunch of other ones). There's even the story of the President of Equatorial Guinea who had 150 people executed in a stadium because they had planned a coup. It was on Christmas Day in '75 and this song, loudly, provided the soundtrack to their execution.
  • Thanks for the Rarity link BN. When I come off my hold there are a couple of albums I'd like to get.
  • Here's Ann Miller with today's Midwestern weather report.  I wonder who the members of that jazz combo are...?

• greg said:
    Thanks for the Rarity link BN. When I come off my hold there are a couple of albums I'd like to get.
    - Welcome . . . The albums are still pouring in.

Gerry and the Pacemakers Live - I Like It

So cute ! . . . With Go Go Girls and everything . . .
  • Again album cover

Thanks BN - this will be one to download for me, doesn't Sir Ivan Morrison look young!
  • No, really?

...the main influence for Hello It's Me was an eight bar intro that Jimmy Smith played on a recording of When Johnny Comes Marching Home.  He had this whole sort of block chord thing that he did to set up the intro of the song.  I tried to capture those changes, and those changes became what are the changes underneath Hello It's Me."  I then had to come up with melody and words, but the changes are actually almost lifted literally from something that was, from Jimmy Smith's standpoint, a throwaway.

— Todd Rundgren, puremusic.com [7]

Still not sure I'm hearing it, but if Todd says it I believe it.
  • The 80s, before the Big Hair. Note cigarette style at the beginning

• edited August 2017
     httpsf4bcbitscomimga3741422365_14jpg 

From 1981 and featuring the legendary Fritz Bonfils (aka. Fritz Fatal) on vocals with his horrible english pronounciation.
  •  
    (1957)
    - Found on:

Zappa as DJ

(1968)