Those were the days . . .

Comments

• edited September 2014
    There are a couple of streets in London that have concentrations of used record stores.
    http://www.timeout.com/london/music/londons-best-music-shops
    Trying to remember which one I grazed my way along last time I was there, I think it was Berwick Street, which had at least three stores in close proximity.
    Doofy, I think your post just put Grand Prairie, Texas on my bucket list.
  • Germanprof,

This area has lots of fine shops for music, was the one you were thinking off Sister Ray?

The ones I really like are Soul Jazz which is at the bottom of Berwick Street and Ray's Jazz which is located in the new Foyles Bookshop on Charing Cross Road, if you are ever in London they are both worth a visit.
  • edited September 2014
    hqdefault.jpg
  • edited September 2014
    @Lowlife, might have been, I don't remember. I just remember coming above ground at Oxford Circus and visiting several music shops in a small area.
  • edited February 2015
    <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Zamla Mammas Manna's ultimate showstopper</span></font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;"> face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal;"><br></span></font></div>
  • edited February 2015

Tommy Roe 1962

• edited March 2015

Featuring Lars Bisgaard from Dr.Dopo Jam on vocals
    - Maxwells was supporting at  the first Mothers Of Invention show in Denmark back in 1968.

Oh yes . . . Those were the days !
  • edited March 2015
    @Brighter, it seems (to me anyway, I'm running Firefox) that the youtube videos you are including in your posts are resulting in a static-y screen with the message "An error occurred, please try again later. Learn More".   When I click on the YouTube icon in the lower-right it opens up a new tab in my browser for that video at youtube.  The page itself is completely blank but the tab label reads '404 Not Found'.

I noticed the URL in the newly open tab has a '-nocookie' string as part of its structure.  If I remove that the video plays without any issue.

This is what opens normally clicking on the Youtube button: "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/watch?v=mW3T3RjQsbU"

This is what I change it to so that it play: ""

... very weird... my 'corrected' ("") link got automatically converted to an embedded video link and in the process changed to the same thing as your original post's link (and doesn't work).

ETA#2:  Apparently this is an issue with Firefox... I'm pretty sure I got an automatic update pushed out to me last week.  I went to a recent post of mine from 2 weeks or so ago in which I included an embedded youtube link and it exhibits the same behavior now that I noticed with your links.  It did not do that previously.
  • BN's videos are playing just fine in Chrome.  My main question is, why did the video creator think we needed the lyrics to "Lollipop"?

Meanwhile - Ruffles, anyone?

• I tried IE8 earlier and that was even worse - all I had displayed for any of the new embedded videos was the 'play' button that was linked to nothing... but that's a pretty old version of IE and probably the reason behind that weirdness.  I forgot I had Chrome installed on this laptop and just tried it and experienced no issues at all. 

Might be time to consider switching my preferred browser of choice from Firefox to Chrome.
  • edited March 2015
    @luddite - I also get "Error - try again later" in IE 10.
    You can't post videos in IE either, (among other things). Gennerally speaking, the functionallity sucks in IE.

My main question is, why did the video creator think we needed the lyrics to "Lollipop"?
    - I'm not an expert in matters like this, but I think this is what they call karaoke.
  • FYI... I just figured out what was interfering with the YouTube links: My AddBlockPlus plugin for Firefox.  Once I disabled it for emusers.org all the youtube links worked again.
  • Interesting.  I was having the same issue and also have ABP.

I just hit play on some of the above videos without disabling it, though, and they play like normal.

Craig
  • ????  as you say "Interesting". 

I just disabled it and the videos still play OK.  So I guess I don't really know what the solution was at this point.  To be honest, I didn't verify that they still wouldn't play before disabling ABP... I just had an issue on another site with a webpage not displaying stuff in FireFox that Chrome didn't have any issue with and then realized that since it was ad-type stuff maybe my ABP plugin in FireFox might be the culprit.  I disabled it for that page and it displayed the same way Chrome was displaying  Remembering that Chrome didn't have an issue here while my FireFox did, I then came to this page with FireFox and disabled ABP for emusers.org and the videos that wouldn't play earlier played without any issues so I assumed it was the result of me disabling ABP. 

Since re-enabling ABP for emusers.org doesn't reintroduce the issue. I can only guess that it was the process of 'disabling' that somehow fixed whatever glitch existed within FireFox or one of the admin-types behind the scenes tweaked something at some point earlier to make them work with FireFox and the ABP plugin setting had nothing to do with it at all.
  • So, the -nocookie thing is something that youtube offers, but it seems to have stopped working right in firefox:

https://support.mozilla.org/nl/questions/1050925

The -nocookie URL is created by the forum code when you click on a preview image. I will change it to use a regular URL. Note that the fix may vanish when I upgrade the software. This will mean either it'll stop working again for some people, or that youtube has fixed it and we'll never notice the difference. Or I'll remember to reapply the change. We'll find out.
  • edited March 2015
    I just tried posting this in IE, it is still not possible, In Crome it works perfect.

ETA: But now it is playable in IE.

Tyrannosaurus Rex  

For the first time in about 40 years . . . This album is as joyful to listen to as it was way back when.
    - Fantastic songwriting, brilliantly performed . .  Those were the days . . . .
  • Indeed those were the days, BN. I had that album way back, no idea now what happened to it.
  •  I have a wee link with Marc Bolan in that we grew up in the same area of London, both attended the same youth club and secondary school. He was expelled way before I went there.

I went to see a band called Legend play at the youth club which featured the drummer who later play in T Rex.

• From way back when I was only 10...

Dickey Lee - I Saw Linda Yesterday

An FB friend of mine posted a series of photos he took at a Jethro Tull concert, 1974
  • edited August 2015

CILLA BLACK - ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART 

You're My World   

May she rest in peace.

• Anyone Who Had a Heart is back in the British charts, fifty years on from its original release.
  • edited August 2015

Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs - Sugar Shack

• edited September 2015
    Inspired by all the recent Van Morrison listening . . .

Ohohohoh yeah !
  • edited September 2015
    1967:

THE FREAK SCENE ~ Rose of smiling faces 

• edited September 2015

- From 1960, Brittish pop from  right before the Beatles era, a mega hit in Denmark . . .
  • Ballet Mécanique - Leathern

• edited January 2016

Cy, Maia & Robert - A Church is Burning

From 1966
    A Danish folk trio with Cy Niclin who later on joined Culpepper's Orchard