Are we dead yet?

Is this heaven or (clutch the pearls) is this hell?

It seems strangely unchanged. No new releases, no monetary pricing?

What gives?

This is November isn't it?

Comments

• I think the hammer drops in mid-November.
  • What's the over/under on Nov. 16? That's a Tuesday. I'd take the under but I hope I'm wrong, I recharge on 11/18.
  • edited November 2010
    Wednesday, Nov. 10, would be 30 days from the announcement and would be the next possible date for the new regime. I don't remember what the terms of use say, but members have 30 days to approve changes--I don't know if that means from the announcement or from the change, but obviously the former is much closer at hand.
  • I think it was Bluesboy or BigdBluez over on emu board that noticed the Steals & Deals selections expiring on the 9th (or something like that). I'd put money on that expiration date being the Big Day.
  • They have the sales as "through the 9th" so I'm also feeling like the 10th might be it. Is this like The Dead Pool or what? Welcome to the jungle.
  • edited November 2010
    i refreshed the 28th and am chipping away...down to my final 13 as we gibber.

/edit: i wonder if i still get my $2loyalty cache even if i'm fully depleted.
  • Weren't me, must've been Big D.

I found an interesting tidbit trolling through the new pricing and conversion info. From what they say about converting Boosters to currency, they're going to give $.60 per booster credit. Meanwhile, I've got boosters I only paid $.50 for. Seems like a little bit of profit could be made by buying boosters at the last minute and getting a 6-to-5 return.
  • Aha! The Coming Soon listing has changed, with all sorts of groovy huge stars, or not. Are you ready for the date? November. I'm still shooting spitballs at the wall calender by my desk and averaging out the results.
  • How could they possibly know beforehand on what date these new releases will appear? Don't you know that the labels sneak them onto their servers in the middle of the night?
  • whew! took me forever to reset my password.

so: not dead (quite) yet.
  • Well, it looks like Doofy gets the Karnak Award for this thread. No, there isn't a prize, sorry, just the admiration of fellow musers.
  • I refresh on 11/16. I wonder if I'll get cash or credit? It would be better if I got 50 credits that instantly converted to cash because they're only giving me $17.99 in credit.
  • and he still has to wait til the 18th to see his counter with crooked numbers.
  • did I miss something

It looks the same to me

The weatherman was calling for November 10
  • just our interpretation of the mayan calendar predicting the golden emu to raise on one leg, squelch a bit and then blind us all as we pretty much take it like lemmings
  • Now that was a wonderful turn of phrase!
  • Braving the shower of the golden eMu, I just blew my monthly refresh in advance of the coming apocalypse. I figure it's worth more today than it will be afterwards - not that it went that far, cleaning out some SFL items, plenty more still in purgatory. Clutching my booster pack credits for any good hunting to be found starting Tuesday I await with resignation.

How does a lemming take it, by the way?
    Whilst we're on the topic of small mammals, have you all heard of the Rambo gerbil?

He goes in, and comes back out with a few of his buddies.
  • When I was a kid, I saw this movie about lemmings jumping off a cliff en masse, and I always believed they actually did that, but it turns out:
    Lemmings became the subject of a popular myth that they commit mass suicide when they migrate. Driven by strong biological urges, some species of lemmings may migrate in large groups when population density becomes too great. Lemmings can swim and may choose to cross a body of water in search of a new habitat. In such cases, many may drown if the body of water is so wide as to stretch their physical capability to the limit. This fact combined with the unexplained fluctuations in the population of Norwegian lemmings gave rise to the myth.

The myth of lemming "mass suicide" is long-standing and has been popularized by a number of factors. In 1955, Disney Studio illustrator Carl Barks drew an Uncle Scrooge adventure comic with the title "The Lemming with the Locket". This comic, which was inspired by a 1954 American Mercury article, showed massive numbers of lemmings jumping over Norwegian cliffs. Even more influential was the 1958 Disney film White Wilderness, which won an Academy Award for Documentary Feature, in which staged footage was shown with lemmings jumping into certain death after faked scenes of mass migration. A Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary, Cruel Camera, found that the lemmings used for White Wilderness were flown from Hudson Bay to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where they did not jump off the cliff, but were in fact launched off the cliff using a turntable.

Lemming.

So I guess taking it like a Lemming means letting someone chuck you off a cliff to propagate a myth of mass suicide.
  • While I'm not in favor of animal cruelty, the visualization of that setup is hysterical. Kind of like shooting gerbils out of a cannon.
  • edited November 2010
    There was also a Lemmings computer game back in the early 90s. Daughter and I had fun trying to save the Lemmings. Never did make it through all the levels, and somewhere along the way it got left behind as I upgraded computers.

They just kept marching along toward oblivion unless you could snag them before they were too far gone. Lots of gimmicks, but lots of fun, too.
  • edited November 2010
    Lemmings and Worms were 2 of my favorite computer games back in the day.

EDIT: Fixed the link. ARGH!
  • Thom, check the Lemmings link.
  • edited November 2010
    Back from small mammals to the golden eMu - check out this post from dear Cathy regarding Domino, Merge, and Beggars Group being no longer available after the 18th - link - go figure. Buy any booster pack between the 16th and 18th you will get 10 free downloads (if they're switching to currency how does that work?) in December. Works for me - I need to cherry pick the new Hendrix box tonight anyway. Ah, it says 10 free songs - songs of what - the earth, humpback whales, or anything you want?
  • Losing Beggars is huge.
  • All three are huge, and don't make any sense.

Craig
  • For me, without those three, there is no point.
  • I cannot muster more than, "wtf", and wonder if this truly is a case of eMusic alienating the indies by courting the majors.
  • yeah, it doesn't make sense. i'm guessing emusic wouldn't have added UMG if it knew that doing so would gut virtually every (maybe every) major-indie label from its roster. and why now, on the eve of a price increase? i just don't get it.
  • Oh dear oh dear what to get what to get?