The Classical Shop - Free album of the month.

1235»

Comments

• edited June 2015
    I didn't have that problem with those recordings. I had tags.
    The problem I always have is that nearly all classical IDs 
    the performer as "artist" instead of the composer as "artist."
    OK, technically, this is correct, but most software uses
    the composer as "artist." Instead of getting what I prefer:

Erich Wolfgang Korngold - Violin Concerto in D Major

I end up getting:

James Ehnes, Vancouver Symphony Orchestra - Violin Concerto in D Major

Here's a screenshot of those two adjusted recordings if this will help you:

Now playing: WKCR - Columbia University
  • Thanks, I got the track info from he album pages on the classical shop. At the moment I am following a policy of putting the composer in the Album Artist tag and the performer in the Artist tag. It works quite well with how iTunes displays things as well as with how I navigate the iPod touch.
  • edited June 2015
    OK, good you got the track info.

See, your method doesn't work for me and most kinds of software
    for the reasons I stated above. I'd MUCH rather have it like it is above with:

Erich Wolfgang Korngold - Violin Concerto in D Major

showing up rather than to have it look as if James Ehnes wrote the Concerto,
    but everyone has their personal ways.

•••
    Now playing: Joseph Haydn - String Quartet in a Major, Op. 3 No. 6, Hob.III:18 (Spurious, Likely Composed by Anton Hofstetter): II. Adagio

(Joseph Haydn...instead of The Dekany Quartet as composers)
  • Prof, I found both on Amazon.  Of course nobody sane would ever go to the trouble of cleanly retagging all those tracks (like I did)
  • edited June 2015
    If sanity is inversely proportional to time spent retagging MP3 files in just the right way then I flubbba woodle wizza wheeeeeeeeeeee!
  • If the tracks are going to be in the library for any length of time, not getting them tagged the way you want them is the route to insanity. So, best to get it sorted out early :)
  • The July newsletter has arrived, as nearly always despite having their address white-listed it was in the spam folder...

• edited August 2015
    I have received the August newsletter - with the link to his month's download - 

• Never did get the August newsletter, but the September one has arrived

• This month the newsletter brings a repeat of the Webber: Invocation album - well worth a listen if you have not already heard it.

There are some interesting new releases listed that look to be worth a listen as well.
  • Thanks Paul.  The tags aren't even too bad on this one, which is good, because there are 42 tracks!  The composer is listed as "Microsoft.VisualBasic.Collection," however.
  • This month the newsletter brings another repeat - Elgar: Part Songs.
  • edited January 2016
  • edited February 2016
    This month's newletter

Music in the Time of Velázquez: Songs & Instrumental Pieces from 17th Century Spain.

• Thanks Paul, looks good. And the album info is even in good shape, for once!
  • This month's newsletter

A compilation from the Pentatone label