Stones talk

2»

Comments

• Factory Girl- Treat Her Right
  • edited December 2010
    Paint It Black- Eric Burdon and War

by the way, i'm not necessarily saying any of these are better than the original; however,
    Johnny Winter's Stray Cat Blues comes pretty close
  • Don't forget The Flying Burrito Bros did "Wild Horses" first, at least on record. Didn't Keef give the song to his buddy Gram Parsons?
  • edited December 2010
    Devo - Satisfaction

Redd Kross - Citadel (youtube live). A link to listen to the studio version they did (much better than the youtube version). (Apparently The Damned also covered it as well.)

Laibach - Sympathy for the Devil. I love this album by Laibach. I lent it to a friend at work once and he brings it back to me after listening to it and says something like "That's pretty cool, you don't really realize that your listening to 7 versions of the same song". Here's a link to one of the other versions from that same album.

Sisters of Mercy - Gimme Shelter
  • Bryan Ferry's Sympathy for the Devil (too bad he'll never do a song written by Jagger again)
  • Cat Power - Satisfaction
    Haunting is the key word. The key element is that she never actually sings the chorus. The "Baby, baby, baby come back" part still gives me chills.
  • Under My Thumb-The Who; recorded and released in 67 to help Mick and Keith make bail
  • Sorta on topic, sorta not. Just saw an email from amazon. Rolling Stone magazine is offering a 6-month subscription for $1.
    I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for them, going under like Paste. Not that I have read it recently, I just hate to see them go because I liked them back in the 70s.

If anyone's insterested, the email said to paste this code into checkout:
    EFJH-NC7GAR-DRTU6C

And keep an eye on it - the autorenew will kick in if you don't specifically cancel. Not a problem for me since I don't leave my credit card info in Amazon, but thought I'd mention that part, too.
  • We had signed up for a similar promo years ago (well, 7 to be exact), where it was 5 years for $10. We regretted it after the first year as the only articles worth reading were by Matt Taibbi, the rest was pure shit, especially the reviews and the year end wrap-ups.
  • I have plans to make a collage inside my garage of some of the photos & ads on old issues. But yeah, not much reading of them...
  • timtim
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, I think Rolling Stone is a lot better than it was a few years ago. More than worth a buck, for sure. That said, they don't make it easy to remember how much this magazine changed the world. Heck, in some ways it CREATED the world for a few years, as much as any other cultural force. And if you weren't around for it at the time, you sure wouldn't guess.

re: reviews, I knew a guy n the 70s who claimed to be one of a bunch of lowly punks who assigned stars to reviews. That is, the writers write, and these "editors" (a title they openly mocked relative to the menial crap they actually did) assign the stars. You ever read a review that says one thing, and the stars another thing? This is why, said the guy. I knew him to be full of it on other topics, so I have no way of knowing whether this was true...but it was a good story in 1978.

re: Stones album tracks, I was listening to You Can't Catch Me from The Rolling Stones, Now! and heard a couple of lines for the first time. "New Jersey Turnpike in the wee wee hours" is a line that Springsteen used TWICE, and I'm pretty sure I've heard a variation on "Here comes old Flattop, he comes grooving up with me" at least once. I don't generally have much use for Chuck Berry, but I think the Stones knocked this one out of the park.

My favorite at the moment: Monkey Man. Amazing drums on this.

I was poking around, and was flabbergasted that the following were released as singles, but didn't chart in the UK.

Time Is On My Side
    Heart of Stone
    As Tears Go By
    Mother's Little Helper
    Dandelion
    She's A Rainbow
    Street Fighting Man
    Wild Horses
    Happy
    Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Beast of Burden

There are others, but you get the point. You could make a decent comp of out these, call it "What The Hell Were They Thinking?"

re: Stones covers, there is of course an entire website devoted to this. There have to be a thousand or more examples, some pretty obscure. For example, "Take It Or Leave It" was covered by Siluete, a Yugoslavian version, under the title: "Uzmi ili ostavi." A site worth wasting an afternoon with when you should be working.
  • You could make a decent comp of out these, call it "What The Hell Were They Thinking?"
    You could, but if you'd been around at the time, it wouldn't have been so surprising. In those days the Rolling Stones released singles like there was no tomorrow, and they had picture sleeves that all looked exactly the same. So people would see a single in the shop window on a Tuesday afternoon, and think "oh, I've got that one already" when in fact they had the previous Tuesday's single, whose picture sleeve was virtually identical to the new one.

Some of us would also say that the singles all sounded the same too, but of course that's a more subjective issue, and I've never been a big fan of theirs.
  • @Katrina - Back in college I covered the ceiling of my dorm rooms with covers and ads, mostly from CMJ. I saved almost all of them and for years have wanted to scan them all in and create an interactive guide of what I put up - with a picture of the entire ceiling and you could click on items to see the full image.
  • timtim
    edited December 2010
    You could make a decent comp of out these, call it "What The Hell Were They Thinking?"

You could, but if you'd been around at the time, it wouldn't have been so surprising. In those days the Rolling Stones released singles like there was no tomorrow, and they had picture sleeves that all looked exactly the same.

I guess you mean around in the UK, because I WAS around in the US, and found the ALBUMS confusing. Similar covers, all that R&B stuff - I couldn't figure out why anybody would choose one over the other. (I'm only just now starting to figure that out as I take advantage of these recent sales.) It didn't help that there were so many of them - a couple more in the US than in the UK.

I was also a hardcore Beatles guy, and the only thing about the Stones I found interesting was some of the singles. And some of the ones above are to me among their most absolutely iconic, especially on the second half of the list. I certainly concede that Time Is On My Side and Heart of Stone are pretty close to the same song, and didn't include on my list Lady Jane - not my cup of tea, so I sympathize with anyone who wasn't a buyer. Still, these were ENGLAND's hitmakers, right? :-)

Anyway, I've been tinkering with a Rolling Stones mix for the car, and while I'm not done, it includes all of those....
  • thom, that sounds cool. Growing up I had this weird walk-in closet with the door on the far edge, so there was entire blank wall. I 'papered' it completely with cool pictures I found in magazines. I wish I'd taken a picture of it before the house was sold! A bunch of it was that groovy/psychadelic late 60s-early 70s stuff.
  • Stones related: Merry Clayton was/is the female voice on "Gimme Shelter" - just discovered her solo albums are on eMu. Very tasty soupy southern r&b. Check out the self titled. Don't refresh til late Jan, must.not.buy.booster. ...
  • Sorry for the cross post. The Big-O has a collection of Rolling Stones Rarities, Sympathy for the Collector, Vol. 3

"This is a collection of non-LP recordings from 12-inch, 7-inch and CD singles, all now deleted. Compiled by American radio syndicator “Westwood One”. “So Young” is an outtake from the “Some Girls” sessions. This was one of six “Some Girls” outtakes that Jagger added vocals to in the 1990s, but only this one track got released (on a long-deleted UK CD single). - Philip Cohen"