What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

edited July 2021 in General
A new thread, thread 20, squeezed in before 2020 is done.

Comments

• Nice little noises, a good antidote to the politics of bombast and the internet of amplification.
  • Saint Etienne - Home Counties
  • Not nearly as interesting as his dad.

• Contemplation on Little Big Muff (2000)
    for amplified - cello and percussion
    Odd Appetite duo: Nathan Davis, perc., Ha-Yang Kim, amplified cello.

...can you tell me about the title? i was thinking about the quality of sound of the amplified cello. distorted. distorted through a Russian guitar pedal (it’s called a “Big Muff”). what’s cool is that amplification works to make more apparent the inherent qualities in the physicality of sound which, without amplification, we are less aware: it brings out the internal beatings (and therefore the tempos) within certain intervals; it allows for the possibility of bringing out different overtones from changing only the bowing position; it brings out the artifacts of production noise. these qualities I find beautiful and in contrast to the hierarchical dominance of pitch/harmony in western Classical music. and there is a temporality necessary to make these elements cognitively focused, therefore the “contemplation.”

This pieces was written for the ‘cello + percussion duo, Odd Appetite (Ha-Yang Kim + Nathan Davis).

• edited November 2020

glictar

by stefan schmidt

improvisations with electric guitar and laptop.

• Heard his on the Jazzed website the other day, yet more great jazz coming from the UK

• released October 22, 2020
  • httpsf4bcbitscomimga2422404092_14jpg

Too early to talk about favorite things of the year? One of my most listened-to, in any case
  • "New Way Of Life" by Mabel Greer's Toyshop. The band, which was formed in 1966 and broke up in 1968, included a number of future members of Yes including Peter Banks, Chris Squire, Bill Bruford, Jon Anderson and Tony Kaye.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/mabel-greers-toyshop

•  When I was but a youth I had a tape / collage noise proto industrial band - actually a duo called the DCT's. (My mate was doing biology and it stands for distal convoluted tubule - something to do with the kidney) So he came up with the name of the group and stole TG's album title - I did everything else. The TG album would have been new at the time and I think advertised in the old UK inkie press. Our album was recorded live to cassette and released in an edition of one. Beat that TG!

•  
    4 discs/4 hours - 2 groups a decade apart. This needs to be heard, at the very least...Several lengthy selections at Bandcamp
  • Invisible

by Preserved Sound Artists

"Invisible" is an album of original pieces written and recorded as blind collaborations in response to the COVID-19 crisis by 11 Preserved Sound artists: Aaron Martin, Adrian Lane, Ales Tsurko, Benjamin Louis Brody, Cédric Dind-Lavoie, Glacis, Neal Heppleston, Tess Said So, Thomas Méreur, Trigg & Gusset and Visionary Hours.
    All proceeds of the sale of "Invisible" will go to support children affected by COVID-19 across the developing world via the charity Mary’s Meals. £7.95 is the cost Mary’s Meals is able to feed a child for half a year. With the UK government doubling donations until January 31, 2021, each album sale will essentially feed a child in the developing world for an entire year.
    The word "Invisible" not only refers to the concept that the COVID virus can’t be seen, but also that contributing artists collaborated on the pieces blindly without knowing what each other was recording. The album showcases the combined response of Preserved Sound’s community of artists to the unfolding COVID crisis – with the individual pieces coalescing to create a cohesive whole.

• New Amsterdam and Nonesuch Records release Tristan Perich’s Drift Multiply on November 13, 2020, as part of the partnership between the two labels. Drift Multiply is available to preorder now.

Drift Multiply, Tristan Perich’s largest work to date, is performed by fifty violins and fifty loudspeakers and is conducted by Douglas Perkins. Scored as one hundred individual lines of music, the piece blends violins and speakers into a cascading tapestry of tone, harmony, and noise. The violins perform from sheet music, while the speakers are each connected to custom-built circuit boards programmed to output 1-bit audio, the most basic digital waveforms made of just ones and zeroes. “I am interested in the threshold between the abstract world of computation and the physical world around us,” Perich explains.

Journalist Ben Ratliff wrote, “Drift Multiply uses ingredients which have become well-known in Perich’s work: strings or one-bit tones entering a section in layers of evenly-spaced notes or drones; quickly advancing depths and densities; harmony spreading across the space of the music in flickering, cascading, or wave-like motions; white noise, rendered in pulses or fields of sound.” He continues, “Steve Reich has been a fan since hearing 1-Bit Symphony. ‘I started listening to it, and I thought, my gosh … In some ways it reminded me of [Stravinsky’s] Petrushka. Who would think of electronic chips as summoning up anything as beautiful, musically, as that?’” Drift Multiply premiered at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine for the 2018 Red Bull Music Festival. In 2019, it traveled to the Netherlands for Big Idea #01, where Lucinda Childs was commissioned to create a new large-scale dance to Drift Multiply, performed by 66 dancers in front of the live music.

New York–based composer Tristan Perich’s work is inspired by the aesthetic simplicity of math, physics, and code. The Wire describes his compositions as “an austere meeting of electronic and organic.” 1-Bit Music, his 2004 release, was the first album ever released as a microchip, programmed to synthesize his electronic composition live. His follow-up circuit album, 1-Bit Symphony, has received critical acclaim, with the Wall Street Journal saying “its oscillations have an intense, hypnotic force and a surprising emotional depth.” The New York Times called his latest circuit album, Noise Patterns, “techno for silicon-based life forms.” As an electronic musician, he has performed internationally, from Sonár, MUTEK, and the Barbican to the National Gallery of Art and The Kitchen. As a composer, he has received commissions from Sō Percussion, the LA Philharmonic, Vicky Chow, and more, as well as an award of distinction from Ars Electronica for his work for violins and 1-bit electronics, Active Field. As a visual artist, his audio installations, video works and machine drawings have received commissions from the likes of Rhizome and L’Auditori in Barcelona, and his artwork has been exhibited internationally, including the Museum of Modern Art, VOLT Festival, the San Diego Museum, and bitforms gallery. 

released November 13, 2020

• Ingrid Laubrock - Stir Crazy Episode 34
    released November 13, 2020
    Tom Rainey drums
    Ingrid Laubrock tenor saxophone
  • edited November 2020
    :)
    Small homage to Squarepusher
    Recorded live in Münster, Germany, April 7, 2019
    Part of Jaap Blonk's show "Dr Voxoid's Next Move"
    Stereo mouth sounds, done with 2 microphones
  • Joe Bonamassa - A New Day Now

• Skli Sverrisson - Sera 2006 CD  DiscogsSkli Sverrisson - Sera II 2010 CD  Discogs
    Skúli Sverrisson - "Seria" and "Seria 2"

This discussion has been closed.