The News Room

Comments

• Doofy said:
    Not enough synthesizers for @rostasi and @rolandkuit to serenade us - maybe the jazz subcommittee could meet here :-)

Problem solved. Prof, it's even in your state, so you could just swing by and pick it up. https://swmi.craigslist.org/msg/d/saint-joseph-yamaha-ex-1/7209061615.html

Yamaha EX 1 - $6,000 (Saint Joseph)

Lol, I've already bought so much gear for my home office I am not sure this would fit.

• edited November 2020

• edited December 2020

On the recommendation of the Johan Wagenaar Foundation, the municipality of The Hague awards the Johan Wagenaar Prize 2020 to composer Yannis Kyriakides. This composition prize is awarded once every four years for an entire oeuvre and is unique in the Netherlands. Kyriakides will receive the Johan Wagenaar Prize from the Municipality of The Hague during Festival Day in the Branding on Saturday 12 December 2020. On different locations in The Hague ensemble Maze and the Bozzini Quartet will perform works by Kyriakides…   

Johan Wagenaar Prize

The Johan Wagenaar Prize is one of the composition prizes of the Municipality of The Hague, curated by the Johan Wagenaar Foundation (JWS). The prize is awarded once every four years for an entire oeuvre and in that sense it is unique in the Netherlands. This prize consists of a cash prize of €25,000 and the performance of works from the oeuvre of the winning composer.
    Robert van Asten, Alderman for Mobility and Culture of the Municipality of The Hague: “We stimulate a strong and healthy cultural sector and help artists and performers at all levels to grow further.”

From the jury report

This time the professional jury consisted of Masa Spaan, Calliope Tsoupaki, Guus Janssen, Saskia Lankhoorn, Joseph Puglia, Diamanda Dramm, Joep Stapel and Pieter van Loenen. In their jury report they wrote praising words about Yannis Kyriakides: “Kyriakides dares to question himself in every work he writes. His oeuvre bears witness to an inquisitive spirit that has never lost its playfulness. Methodically and steadily he works on a large oeuvre of high quality, characterized by the richness of ideas and the unnatural application of electronics and extra-musical elements”.

Yannis Kyriakides

Yannis Kyriakides (Cyprus, 1969) is a Dutch composer of contemporary music. In his music he often combines conventional musical instruments with electronics and digital media. Kyriakides studied at the Royal Conservatoire in The Hague with Louis Andriessen and Dick Raaijmakers. In 2000 he won the Gaudeamus Prize for his composition a conSPIracy cantata (1999).
    Kyriakides is commissioned by and for various ensembles and orchestras. Since 2005 Kyriakides has been the artistic director of the Maarten Altena Ensemble, together with Ronald Spekle, which they renamed ensemble MAE. In 2011 his CD Antichambers in Paris received a Qwartz Electronic and New Music Award in the category Experiment and Research. That year he also received the Buma Toonzettersprijs for Best New Dutch Composition in 2010 for his work Paramyth for violin, clarinet, piano and computer. In 2011 Yannis Kyriakides received the Willem Pijper Prize from the municipality of The Hague for his work Dreams of the Blind.
    As a teacher at the Royal Conservatoire in The Hague Kyriakides has had a great influence on a new generation of composers.
    In Kyriakides’ oeuvre an organic development can be seen which shows a deep reflection on the nature of his music. Kyriakides is a multifaceted composer, he has written for various line-ups from solo to orchestra and from dance to audio-visual installations – and in everything there is a clear form of his own that makes his work very recognizable. Kyriakides is a highly skilled and intelligent artist who knows how to combine this skill with the wonder and creativity of an open mind.

Johan Wagenaar Foundation

The Johan Wagenaar Foundation was founded by the Municipality of The Hague in 1947, and its main objective is to stimulate and promote new and contemporary music. The awarding and presentation of the municipal music prizes are part of this. The foundation is also the driving force behind Dag in de Branding, the festival for new music that takes place four times a year in The Hague.

• DiN label boss Ian Boddy will be playing a livestream performance from DiN HQ performing on his vintage Roland System 100-M & a bunch of Eurorack @ 8pm (GMT) on Saturday 19th December.

youtu.be/R2uNZvJEd9g

Facebook Event page is over at

www.facebook.com/events/772837446779055/
  • edited December 2020
    A message from Renaldo & the Loaf:
    HARDLY GURNING WHILE THE WORLD IS TURNING.....TO 2021
    Over the past year or so we have been assembling what will be the final expression of the Gurdy Hurding era.
    Some of you will be familiar with Hardly Gurning which formed Side 4 of the vinyl Gurdy Hurding – we decided we wanted this piece to have a CD release too. Hardly Gurning itself is part remix, part new recording, part re-imagining...to complement this we decided to ask some of our friends if they might create a remix/re-imagination of the Gurdy Hurding tracks.
    In a strange way, the lockdown this year has benefited this project as, in most cases, it afforded our contributors some time to work on it, which otherwise they may not have able to. We’ve certainly been excited by what has emerged – almost the whole of Gurdy Hurding has been revisited.
    Remixes have been recorded by The Residents, Section 25, Eric Drew Feldman, Nolan Cook, TransGlobal Underground, Andrew Liles, Eric Random, Cult With No Name, Pita, Alex Wroten and RATL.
    Expected to bloom in the Spring.
    Renaldo & Ted

Klanggallerie
  • Listening to the Joy in James Baldwin’s Record Collection

Curator Ikechúkwú Onyewuenyi hopes to rouse a new generation of writers with “Chez Baldwin,” a 32-hour-long Spotify playlist based on Baldwin’s vinyl record collection.

• edited December 2020
    I remember seeing ASIMO about 10 years ago, and the amount of coding that went into having him to just be able to run, kick a ball, or do a simple shuffle dance was considered amazing.
    Now, we have newer robots doing this:

• Perhaps not the right place to to post this . . .
    - From Andrew Liles, posted on Facebook today:
    There are a number of streaming platforms - Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal and Deezer selling my music. Many people strive to get their music on these platforms and they are considered legitimate, I consider them bandits.
    I would like to make it clear I have never received any revenue from these platforms. Some of the licensing is ambiguous as I worked with several labels and gave some permissions away many years ago. This was when download services were in their infancy and I was naïve as to how significant digital would become.
    Considering Kristian from Nextera is dead, I presume these platforms keep the revenue from My Long Accumulating Discontent entirely to themselves.

If you enjoy my music please go to my Bandcamp page - which I consider the only legitimate platform to hear my music digitally.
    One of the albums that is on these services is Live in Poland - I have now fully remastered the recording and added it to my Bandcamp page.
    This recording is from 8th November 2008. Recorded at Wrocław Industrial Festival, Wrocław, Poland.
    This is a high quality desk recording with no audience sound.

• Perhaps not the right place to to post this . . .
    - From Andrew Liles, posted on Facebook today:
    There are a number of streaming platforms - Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal and Deezer selling my music. Many people strive to get their music on these platforms and they are considered legitimate, I consider them bandits.
    I would like to make it clear I have never received any revenue from these platforms. Some of the licensing is ambiguous as I worked with several labels and gave some permissions away many years ago. This was when download services were in their infancy and I was naïve as to how significant digital would become.
    Considering Kristian from Nextera is dead, I presume these platforms keep the revenue from My Long Accumulating Discontent entirely to themselves.

If you enjoy my music please go to my Bandcamp page - which I consider the only legitimate platform to hear my music digitally.
    One of the albums that is on these services is Live in Poland - I have now fully remastered the recording and added it to my Bandcamp page.
    This recording is from 8th November 2008. Recorded at Wrocław Industrial Festival, Wrocław, Poland.
    This is a high quality desk recording with no audience sound.

Well I'd say it counted as news and I'll be popping over to his BC page later. We all have to make our way around the grey moral murk that is the use of streaming services and do what we think is right; preferably without sermonizing too much! ;-)
  • ^^Thanks for the update. My wife just asked me the other day if I'd heard whether the owls had returned. We'll be looking forward to their return.
  • edited March 2021
    rostasi said:
    Well, since @rostasi first posted this my wife & I having been checking in occasionally to see if anything
    is happening. After finding the updated links we noticed that the sites were down for maintenance
    yesterday and I was delighted to find these this morning. For us, half the fun is looking back to see
    what we missed so here's just a sampler. 

Inside Camera   

Some Events (give or take)
    03/06 - 17:51  Camera comes back on line after maintenance. 
    03/06 - 20:36 - 20:42  Starts with some great owl hoots. Then some rooting around.
    03/07 - 00:55 - 01:01  Major hooting session out on her front porch. Terrific!
    03/07 - 01:17 - 02:14  Rooting around and feeding on a small bird.
    Back to live.

Now, I'm off to find the corresponding views from the 
    Outside Camera

Those night silhouettes are the spookiest!
    ps 01:35 Another owl lands on porch, peeks in, has a hoot and leaves.
    I really can't tell which one was bigger but I'll guess that might be future mom 
    who's rooting around inside. You can write your own story.
  • edited March 2021
    We were watching before the camera went offline and the sound had an unfortunate limiter on it -
    and the inside floor of the box didn't have the comfy bed of extra brush that magically showed up later.
    So, there were a few changes. We've noticed that there's a Twitter feed with daily updates.

I realize that all of this is not really music related, but I find it such a wonderful look at nature -
    and actually, much of the audio is so soothing as a real-life field recording. 
  • Well, maybe just one more owl update. At 14:56 I'm pretty sure I saw an egg as she made a turn around in the nest. It's snowing like crazy right now so we had to stop cleaning up the yard and head in to watch our soap opera.
  • Yes, you're right. I just got in from doing yard work as well and looked.
    She's been sitting in there pretty steady since before sunrise, so I figured
    that something was up (or down as the case may be).
  • Two eggs and a "squirrel pillow."
  • - A 40 years anniversary worth celebrating.
    RENALDO & THE lOAF - SONGS FOR SWINGING LARVAE IS 40
    Last month it suddenly struck us that April marks the 40th anniversary of the Ralph release of Larvae! Scary how time flies!
    All those years since a couple of British guys still in their twenties, ventured over to San Francisco to sign a contract, get to know the Ralph crew and do a bit of promo. It was all very new and exciting for us....not least of all that we also got to jam with the Residents.
    At the time we had no expectations as to how Larvae would be received; the fact it was noticed by Ralph and actually released was probably enough for us. Its experimental edge wasn’t to everybody’s taste for sure and reviews were mixed. It was considered (and may still be) the ideal LP to clear people out from a party.
    We could not have imagined that in the intervening years, it would become something of a cult classic and lauded for its experimentation, tape techniques and inordinate oddness. To make the Mojo readers chart of the Top 50 Weirdest Albums of All Time at no. 16 is something of an accolade!
    But seriously, it was a collection made almost entirely in complete innocence, with no notion that it would ever be released – arguably it was the melting pot of ideas that would grow and develop into our subsequent albums. In some ways, the enquiring mind set of that time still influences us in our current music albeit through very different means. The ‘what if’, ‘let’s try’ and ‘be surprised’ attitude that feeds us still.
    Perhaps this auspicious anniversary should have something to mark it...hmmm...more soon.
    Renaldo & Ted

• rostasi said:
    Two eggs and a "squirrel pillow."
    In Denmark we have EagleTv 24/7
    From a nest located about 10 kilometers from my home.

Today the first of 2 eggs broke the shell:
    https://www.dof.dk/oplev-fuglene/ornetv
  • Wow! Yeah, that's fun to watch.
    Been watching the owl channel and the second of two eggs hatched the other day.
    We have lots of owls just outside our house and I just pretend that the one online
    isn't really 900 miles away.  :)  Now, I've got an eagle channel!
  • Well, between working in the garden and watching owls we've been keeping pretty busy. Now if the eagles only had sound, they would fit in perfectly to what I'm listening to now.
  • Just a few feet outside our window, we have a mama mourning dove who's sitting on her nest. No video setup tho.
  • edited April 2021
    Our mourning dove couple just had their baby
    this weekend. It's pretty cute and they're being
    good parents.

It's been snowing heavily at the owl house.
    For the last six hours it's been piling up.
    Best seen on the outside of the house, of course.

https://www.wbu.com/owl-cam/

• Meanwhile, I'm relaxing down the beach with my Aussie mate!

• Ironically at the top of the charts on eMu these days....
  • I like it!!