Flash Bandcamp Sale

Comments

• Hey everyone!

Just a quick note to let you all know we have a bit of a Spring Sale going on over at our website www.inneroceanrecords.com

Buy any 3 items and get a 4th FREE!
    All you have to do is add any 4 items into your cart and the discount is automatic:)
    [Includes TAPES/VINYL/MERCH/PRINTS

• From 'New West records':

Bandcamp's Fee-Free Friday continues tomorrow! Our digital albums will be available for $5 throughout the day. Take advantage of the savings while they last. 

https://newwestrecords.bandcamp.com/
  • edited April 2021
    Neotantra just released Coercion Of Deities by Various, check it out here.

Here’s what they say about it:
    “Celebrating 25 CD rereleases on the label we have compiled a track from each album to present a special compilation for Bandcamp Friday.

Coercion Of Deities is just £1 for over 3 hours of music. Offer lasts for 24 hours.”
  • We're offering the 15 percent discount again for any Bandcamp purchases, in the perhaps unlikely event that there's anything there that you want that you don't have yet. 🙂 The discount again is "friday15"

• Offer extended for another 24 hours

Coercion Of Deities is just £1 for over 3 hours of music.

Celebrating 25 CD rereleases on the label we have compiled a track from each album to present a special compilation for Bandcamp Friday.

neotantra.bandcamp.com/album/coercion-of-deities
  • Hello.
    Spring is in the air and time to have a spring clear out ready for the summer and new stock.
    We have 35% off everything for 1 day.Offer ends tomorrow midnight.

Limited stock so be quick

Please use the code spring2021 at checkout
    neotantra.bandcamp.com

• UNDISCLOSED just made their full digital discography (10 releases) available on Bandcamp for $9.95 USD (a 50% discount).
    Check it out here.
    This is a series of releases curated by Headphone Commute in which the artists remain anonymous.
  • After taking the past week off work I've found myself suffering from insomnia for the first time in years (doing nothing doesn't seem to suit me!) If you use the code 'sleepy20' at checkout until midnight Sunday you can get 20% off anything in our Bandcamp store. :)

• edited April 2021
    Not just flash, but permanently. I believe the albums are in release date order on the Whirlwind page. If so, then albums from Andrew Bain's Embodied Hope backwards are at the reduced price.

Hey Everyone -

We've made a permanent change to our pricing here on our BC e-store going forward, which we thought to share:

All releases in our back catalogue (anything released 2017 and older) will now be dropped in price as follows:

CDs: 10 USD
    Digital Albums: 7 USD

• Re: Whirlwind pricing, I'm surprised other labels haven't taken a cue and tested price elasticity a bit more in an era where purchased digital music is declining.  For vinyl, I get it that there is inherent differentiation, but CD and MP3 are not very differentiated from their streaming counterparts.   One of the things I've noticed post-eMusic is that not only due I purchase less music (since experimenting at $10-12/album is a lot less attractive than experimenting at, say, $3-5 per album, as was often the case at eMusic with a grandfathered plan, etc.), but my TOTAL music spend is also less.   I think it is the "bargain effect"...   e.g. is something is perceived as very inexpensive, people tend to spend more collectively, feeling they are getting a good deal. 

So given that Bandcamp let's artists/labels keep more of the pie to begin with (vs. other retail channels), and that ANY sold music is much more profitable than corresponding streaming revenue from any single listener, why not lower prices and hope you drive more total revenue?   There have even been studies finding that NYP offerings - which can be downloaded for free or any offered amount - often generate more revenue than "non-NYP" content, which I would say aligns with my "bargain effect" theory above.   I'm not suggesting labels should necessarily go NYP for everything, just that they should do more of what Whirlwind is doing (and I might even suggest Whirlwind test the waters further... would $5 trigger even more total buying and total revenue than $7, for example?  

• Somebody good at math and marketing research ought to be able to figure out an algorithm for this. So suppose there is a group of people who are fans of a band and are highly likely to buy the album whatever it costs. Group X. And there's another group of people who will never buy it at full price but might try it out if it were $3. Group Y. What is the relative size of those groups, I wonder? I know I am often in the latter. but as we've discussed before, given that the average human being is far less wide ranging than us strange folk here in their musical exploration, maybe I'd just an outlier and the Xs are most of the market.
  • Whirlwind explained why vinyl is not included:

Vinyl will remain the same price for all time, as all our releases are printed in limited edition, 180 gram, and thus the manufacturing costs are very high ( not to mention even more expensive thanks to increased shipping/import duties with the UK enacting "Brexit" :-( ). As a result, the only time our Vinyl releases will be available at a discount is when we do exclusive sales to our e-subscribers (a great incentive to join/remain on our elist!)*
  • Buying less music would be OK if it meant appreciating the less more deeply, but I think I mostly just crave more new sounds.  It'd be great if the massive staff at Bandcamp would give us some data or better yet charts on whether flash sales or switching to NYP from $10 or more (whatever price point where people like the music, want to own it, but think it's too expensive) increases total revenue in addition to exposure from more downloads.  If the trend goes that way, the only downside I could see would be going broke personally from all the temptation.  

• There are various artist posts/blogs (don't have any handy at the moment to link here, but I've seen plenty) where they report on their NYP results and are consistently surprised at how well they do.   But, as others have noted here, there are lots of moving parts, and what works for one label/artists/genre might not be optimal for another.   I just always look at the math of streaming on a per listener basis... if you assume a label/artist (whoever has the rights) gets half a cent per song played, that means listening to a 10 track album generates about five cents.  Listening (streaming) that same album in its entirety 20 times yields a dollar.    If you sell an album on Bandcamp for even $3 and keep 85% of that (or all of it on Fridays), it is equivalent revenue to someone playing your album about 50 times on Spotify (or listening to 500 song plays from the album).   At $5 the disparity is even greater, of course.   And selling at $3 or $5 doesn't necessarily mean the listener won't also sometimes stream your music.     But, of course, it all comes down to finding new listeners... if you are selling to someone who would have paid $10 or $12, obviously you are just losing money in those cases.  But the NYP anecdotes seem to indicate that lots of Bandcamp listeners are adventurous and would like to experiment more. 

Which sort of makes sense...  there are "lean back" listeners (who tend to just click pre-curated Spotify playlists and use it like radio, and there are "lean in" listeners who want to seek out cool new music and have a bit more control.  I think lower prices (for downloads) on Bandcamp would cater well to the latter.   And you could argue that selling deeply discounted music is actually pretty cheap "customer acquisition cost" if that listener now comes back for future releases, buys or streams from you back catalogue, etc.

Anyway, fun thought exercise.

• I like the concepts of lean back Vs. lean in listeners and will be borrowing it in future posts.  Your math looks good on cyberpaper, too, and I've argued for the extreme of paying just a dollar being better elsewhere.  I think the problem remains the inflexibility of people who "should" or would like something enough to buy and own it but are hesitant even to stream or otherwise explore proactively.  Anyone of an age where downloading a file doesn't seem like aberrant behavior also likely has their new music listening and acquisition habits pretty well locked in and equally likely hardly listens/explores new stuff at all, preferring to soak exclusively in nostalgia, IMO.  Your thought experiments are always appreciated!

• I constantly debate the NYOP strategy - often times I'll pay a few dollars for something I probably wouldn't pay full price for.  I figure it's better for the band to get a few dollars than none.  Many times that's opened my ears to new things that I do end up spending more for.  Just one guy's opinion.
  • edited April 2021
    Yes, that makes me think the NYOP thing has become ambiguous, especially during the pandemic. It originally was usually presented as “pay what you want”. For perfectly good reasons I have noticed more labels recently talking about “pay what you can”. But the two are not quite the same. I am fortunate enough that I would not go without food if I paid, oh, $25 per album for the number of albums I typically buy in a month, so “pay what you can” can be a little guilt-inducing sometimes. But like @stewrat I often feel very comfortable paying only what the album is worth to me given the chance, and pay a couple dollars for an album that I would not pay for at all at the higher price. This is in the end not all that different from me going to Best Buy and asking the guy to show me a printer that’s under $75 - I could pay more for others but it’s what I am willing to pay to have a printer.
    I think another factor is the shape of the overall ecosystem. If there were a relatively small number of artists releasing music, a pricing structure where people buy fewer things at higher prices makes more sense. There is so much music released now that structures that let people explore and tip are, I suspect, likely to benefit more people (artists and listeners) moderately while being less likely to make a few conspicuously rich (an acceptable outcome in my view).
    The thing with bandcamp is that unlike emusic it does not really have a pricing strategy, since each vendor can choose their price point and take the consequences. I actually kind of like that, even though it’s occasionally frustrating. It’s more like going to the market and seeing some overpriced things and also finding some bargains.
  • edited April 2021
    I don’t know if I have the energy (and it might be tiresome) to post these every week, but if you are interested in the kind of minimalist, abstract sound art that the LINE label puts out, and are not on their bandcamp mailing list, I suggest joining. They seem to be settling into a pattern of making one album at a time half price on the tenth anniversary of its original release. That makes them $4. At the moment it’s Transparency (Performance) by Richard Charter (which is definitely well worth a listen).
  • edited May 2021

All this weekend (May 1-2) we're celebrating Edition Records 13th birthday!

You can use the code 'edition13' to save 10% on EVERYTHING in our Bandcamp store.

Alternatively, the same code will give you a 13% discount over at our new Edition Store editionrecords.com/store where we have exclusive preorders available from Dave Holland, Chris Potter, Slowly Rolling Camera plus much more.

[I would note that the Edition Store has downloads in MP3 and WAV only plus physical media.]

• Our cat, Lily, is 13 today as well.
  • The Dozens

30% off Vinyl, CDs, and Downloads for select releases

Every month we feature 12 artists and offer their music at a deep discount to help you build your collection.

No discount code required. Each item is already marked down to reflect 30% off the regular price.
    Sale runs 5/12/21 - 5/19/21. Only on Bandcamp.

Here is the collection for May 2021:
    ~ Aaron Parks / Little Big - aaronparksmusic.bandcamp.com/album/little-big

~ Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah / Stretch Music - christianscott.bandcamp.com/album/stretch-music

~ La Pingo's / Peregrino - lapingosorquesta.bandcamp.com/album/peregrino

~ Farnell Newton / Ready To Roll - farnellnewton.bandcamp.com/album/ready-to-roll

~ Chance Hayden / Get Somethin' - chancehayden.bandcamp.com/album/get-somethin

~ Lindsey Webster / You Change - lindseywebster.bandcamp.com/album/you-change

~ Brockett Parsons / The Brockettship - brockettparsons.bandcamp.com/album/the-brockettship

~ Stephanie McKay / Song In My Heart - stephanie-mckay.bandcamp.com

~ Andy Waddell / The Road To Nowhere - andywaddell.bandcamp.com/album/the-road-to-nowhere

~ Sam Reed / This Is Love - jellowstone.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-love

~ KINGS / KINGS - jellowstone.bandcamp.com/album/kings

~ Troker / Imperfecto - trokermusic.bandcamp.com/album/imperfecto

• All music on his website are 1 dollar or 9.75 for entire discography, well worth a listen.
  • 🚨FLASH SALE!🚨

$11 LPs / 11 albums to choose from
    $5 Cassettes / 3 albums to choose from

• brokenspineprods.bandcamp.com/artists

I'm offering a 20% discount on everything for the next week -- just use the code 'sommerkommt' at checkout
  • Hello to each of you out there and hope you are having a very fine week indeed :)

It may be the sudden heat getting to us but we've just put all of our older releases (pre-2020) up for free / pay-what-you-like for the next month until a surprise release we have stored up for July 2nd :)

You can access the releases here: homenormal.bandcamp.com

The full discography is running at just £27 for the weekend.

We've also put all our directly connected labels up for free / pay-what-you-like on all their catalogues as follows:

Nomadic Kids Republic: nomadickidsrepublic.bandcamp.com

Folk Reels: folkreels.bandcamp.com

Tokyo Droning: tokyodroning.bandcamp.com

Koen Music: komu.bandcamp.com

• Thanks for that Germanprof, bought a couple of albums from them,

• 15% off vinyl and digital on our Bandcamp page using code “asipjune” until Sunday.

🏃🏻🏃🏼🏃🏽🏃🏾🏃🏿🏃

Includes final copies of Comit, One Million Eyes, Gadi Sassoon, the preorder of James Bernard, a few CDs and a couple of previously sold out stock finds

• New West Records:

TODAY ONLY: In coordination with Bandcamp's Juneteenth fundraiser, take 50% off* all digital and physical catalog items. Shop our entire collection now

Use code: 
    JUNETEENTH50

• To celebrate the summer solstice, Steve Roden’s Book + CD for 901 GRADUAL SMALL FIRES (AND A BOWL OF RESONANT MILK) is 25% off. Use the code ”inbetweensolstice” when you check out. The sale expires at 11:59 pm UTC on June 23rd 2021.

bit.ly/sroden-gradual-small-fires