What are you listening to right now? (21st Century Schizoid Thread)

Comments

• Luna  The Days Of Our Nights 1999 CD - Discogs
    Luna - "The Days of our Nights"

• Still working through my "box set" Vols 4-8.
    John Prine

1978                  Bruised Orange                          1979                  Pink Cadillac

1980                Storm Windows                           1984                   Aimless Love
  • edited August 2021

Sonic Youth Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star Album Review   Pitchfork
    Sonic Youth - "Experimental Jet Set: Trash and No Star"

• "Blue Blood" a 2001 Jazz Blues album by  James Blood Ulmer.

AMG says "Free jazz has not produced many notable guitarists. Experimental musicians drawn to the guitar have had few jazz role models; consequently, they've typically looked to rock-based players for inspiration. James "Blood" Ulmer is one of the few exceptions: an outside guitarist who has forged a style based largely on the traditions of African-American vernacular music."

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/james-blood-ulmer-mn0000114031/biography

• Time for one of those rare events. This morning's Blue Moon is somewhat obscured by a light cloud cover right now and although I've never noted any blueness, it's still special to me. There was a time at Emusic when I would occasionally download a Blue Moon track or 2 to use up some single downloads. Between that and tracks from albums I now have 157 to choose from.
    So, to celebrate one of my favourite songs today's listening will be a random mix of those tunes. If you're interested to see what's playing, this is my lastfm page.

Rodgers & Hart
  • Another one of those "moon" naming conventions that it's easy for me to tire of.
    Yeah, it's a "seasonal" blue moon, but why keep the same name -
    and does it really matter in any celestial way anyway?
    I'd prefer to celebrate the 93rd birthday of Stockhausen.
    If you're in a moony mode, you may want to try this.
  • The Horses and the Hounds by James McMurtry Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

First new James McMurtry album in seven years. Every song is a story.

• 'On the subject of The Moon, do try Psychedelic/Space Rock group Electric Moon and their albums "Lunatics", "Lunatics Revenge" and "Stardust Rituals".

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5830

• And not to forget the one and only, legendary, New York street performer Moondog on the 1994 album "Sax Pax For A Sax" with the London Saxophonic.

AMG says  "This is more enjoyable, toe-tapping, and life-affirming than most any other jazz or avant-garde music around in the 1990s, demonstrating that Moondog's talents remain undimmed in his eighties".

https://www.allmusic.com/album/moondog-sax-pax-for-a-sax-mw0000030148

• @confused - I'm buying and listening to far less new music than I was a few years ago. Two reasons for this - the demise of eMusic, where the pricing model enabled me to buy a fair amount each month, but alongside this I realised that as I was getting older I actually wanted to revisit my music collection, much of which I hardly played at all, when just keeping up witht the monthly 100 credits from eMusic took a lot of time. I would regularly follow jonapwll's columns then for example. I suspect I am spending as much now per year as I did then - my plan worked out at £240 per year, which would give me 100-120 albums each year, without any extra purchases on deals etc. Now my new music is maybe 20 ish CDs/downloads per year. But I am finding that I am getting to know those purchases much better than most I downloaded from eMusic.

Miles Ahead
  • ^^As I go through the alphabet in my iTunes I'm seeing so many interesting artists that have had only 1 or 2 plays since 2017 and I still have 9,053 unplayed tracks. I'm finally at the point where keeping my $6.49 subscription to Emusic could be put to better use. It would certainly solve my NYOP dilemma. I should point out that some of the albums & cassettes I'm finding in my collection are from when I remarried in 2000 and added my wife's collection with mine. Some I'm hearing for the first time. At any rate, back to the set.
    John Prine

1986                German Afternoons                     1991                The Missing Years

1995         Lost Dogs + Mixed Blessings              2007   Standard Songs For Average People

• Johnnie Taylor

1967             Wanted One Soul Singer                 1969                 Who's Making Love

Recorded 1972   Live At The Summit Club           1973                    Taylored In Silk
  • Well, I don't feel like working in the garden anymore today. So hard to believe Ib is gone.

1977    Chronicle: The Twenty Greatest Hits        1977             Rated Extraordinaire

1978                    Ever Ready                                1996      Stop Half-Loving These Women

• I had forgotten about this. Fun stuff. Tagged "afro-cuban appalachian hip hop rap world banjo". Free/NYOP
  • King Crimson, Meltdown (Live in Mexico City, 2017)

Nice live retrospective of all eras of King Crimson.

Earlier:

• Celebrating the life of Charlie Watts.

An article with accompanying videos from New York Magazine titled "The Simple Genius of Charlie Watts, as told through 6 Classic Rolling Stones Songs".

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-charlie-watts-rolling-stones-songs-performances.html

• edited August 2021
    And a 1969 video of my personal favourite featuring the drumming of Charlie Watts, "Gimme Shelter".

• Johnny Guitar Watson

1976                 Ain't That A Bitch                       1977               A Real Mother For Ya

1977         Funk Beyond The Call Of Duty            1978                        Giant
  • edited August 2021
    Well, well, my bandcamp collection just passed 1k albums:
    NP:
    (new release)
  • Well, well, my bandcamp collection just passed 1k albums:
    NP:

1074 but mainly because I went and bought all the 100+ Midnight Radio comps the other month. I'm trying to calm down and listen to things I've only heard a couple of times. This one is NP

Auricle Collection by David Prescott
    Suitably Kosmiche / ambient-ish compilation of old tape releases on the Freeman (Audion) Brothers label.

• edited August 2021
    @Germanprof thanks for Happy Families Too and "Blancmange" which reminds me of Synth Pop, New Wave, New Romantics, Live Aid and the 1980s. My favourite band of the time (to be honest there weren't many as I was in denial after the sad, near  obliteration of Prog by Punk at the end of the 1970s!) was Spandau Ballet and their album "True".
    @peterfrederics The early 80s synthpop era is the time that I remember as when I developed my own music buying and listening habits (it's not actually that simple, I was already dabbling in the late 70s, but I think I mentally edited out my disco phase :-)). At the time I liked Spandau Ballet's first album MUCH more than the slicker material that followed, though I am not sure it has stood the test of time all that well. Blancmange I liked, and they have worn well (have you heard their recent stuff?). Also Ultravox, Japan, Visage, OMD, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, Thomas Dolby, Landscape, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, Yazoo... not all of it holds up to my adult ears, but there are some gems in there as well as some memories.
    Almost everything here was familiar to me (and it reminded me of a few):

• edited August 2021
    @Germanprof thanks for the great video. It proves that there are many more songs from the 1980s Synthpop Era that I really like.

Perhaps the best example of that is "Great Southern Land" by Icehouse off the 1982 album "Primitive Man".

• It is a good day when 9 disks of new Neal Morse material in signed packages drops in the mail box. This will take a while to digest.

• "Summer Sessions, Vol. 1" by Causa Sui.

• Johnny Rivers

1964   Johnny Rivers At The Whisky À Go-Go      1966            Here We à Go Go Again!

1967               Whisky A Go-Go Revisited
This discussion has been closed.