RIP

Comments

• Owner Bob Koester at left stocks albums as Kevin Hsia at right of Lake View looks though the inventory Saturday at the Jazz Record Mart on East Illinois Avenue in Chicago
    Bob Koester, Founder of Delmark Records and Chicago's famed Jazz Record Mart
  • I was saying the other day that I have mixed memories/feelings about Koester, but he had a damn fine ear for good releases.

Norman Simmons

• edited May 2021
    History of music in this city would be way different without him. Likewise Joe Segal, who died last year. Glad to read that Bob's son plans to keep the store open. http://bluesandjazzmart.com/

eta, posted last month on the store's FB page: "Wow. Fancy sign. Bob bought Seymour's in 1959. It was in the Roosevelt University Building on South Wabash. And from there, the Jazz Record Mart evolved."
  • Sándor Balassa (1935 - today)

especially like his "The Man Outside"
    but am listening to this one for now:

• Franco Battiato (1945 - today)

Franco Battiato is often heralded as Italy's answer to Brian Eno. A quizzical composer/lyricist, Battiato turned pop music upside down in the early '70s with three classic LPs – FetusPollution and Sulle Corde Di Aries – that formed a confluence of avant-folk sensibilities and analog electronics.

Originally released in 1971 on Bla Bla, Fetus predated the prodigious Cramps and Multhipla catalogues to become one of the first electronic records produced in Italy. With his trusted VCS3 synthesizer, Battiato created primordial soundscapes that shift between dreamy and delirious. His unsentimental, yet evocative voice – combined with a sublimely detached approach to lyrics – spawned a new breed of divergent songwriting.

Fetus, a concept album exploring themes of genetic engineering, is enigmatically sub-titled "Ritorno al Mondo Nuovo" (Return to the New World) and dedicated to Aldous Huxley. While the sleeve design may have raised a few eyebrows upon its initial release, the back cover photograph of Battiato (standing defiant in dark glasses) makes the real iconoclastic statement.

Battiato's infectious melodies and innovative sound-collage techniques remain uniquely spry given that each track averages less than four minutes in length. Pink Floyd's Meddle, Os Mutantes' eponymous recordings and Jim O'Rourke's experimental-pop idiosyncrasies all find parallels to the curious beauty of Fetus.

• Dang! Battiato should really be better known to '70's prog heads.
  • Raul de Souza (1934 - Sunday) is another one of those musicians that I had a less than
    stellar introduction to. When I wrote for the Dallas Jazz News, I was given a copy of his 
    'til Tomorrow Comes" album which I panned because of its disco shenanigans -
    "...apparently he was bone to disco..." Since then, I've begun to appreciate a bit more of
    his work as a sideman.
  • Takeshi Terauchi (1939 - yesterday)

• Well, these deaths hit hard.

Frederic Rzewski (just saw him in 2017 with Musica Elettronica Viva and solo)

and

Peter Zinovieff (influential engineer: EMS studios introducing the VCS3 synthesizer to lots of major rock bands).

When I saw these, it showed that they died on the same day - today -
    but seconds later it showed Zinovieff dying three days ago.

Both people very important to their professions.
  • Don Everly had quite an influence over popular music into the Sixties, including, amongst many others, The Beatles and Paul Simon
  • Sad to hear about Charlie Watts, an all time great rock drummer, but also keen jazz player
  • Lee Scratch Perry, mad as a bat but at least entertainingly so.
    Had a session with this collection when I heard the news.

• edited October 2021
    Jim Pembroke
    Wigwam was a favorite growing up.

So too, were these guys...

Dee Pop

Everett Morton

Haven’t thought about him in a long time,
    but The Jazz Butcher has died.

• edited October 2021
    Just learned belatedly that Dr. Lonnie Smith died September 28, age 79. Got to see him with his trio at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago a few years ago, front row seats. It was a memorable night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEBOhcrCXc
  • Big Big Big Train together with Porcupine Tree are my favourite modern Prog Rock bands.

"English Electric: Full Power" is a tremendous album with ProgArchives rating Part One No. 2 album for 2012 and Part Two No. 7 for 2013.

Big Big Train - English Electric Full Power  Discogs
  • I enjoyed Empire as much as anything they've done.
  • edited November 2021
    Agreed and also really like "The Underfall Yard" and "The Difference Machine".

Plus "Far Skies Deep Time" which at over 43 minutes is the longest EP I've ever come across!
  • Alvin Lucier 

Well, this one hurts big time.

The first time I met him was in the mid-70s along with Bob Rauschenberg and Viola Farber.

The last time I was actually with him was having an ice cream in a shop.

Last time I saw him perform was in 2019.

Ninety years old and such a legacy of sound.

• rostasi said:
    Alvin Lucier 

Well, this one hurts big time.

The first time I met him was in the mid-70s along with Bob Rauschenberg and Viola Farber.

The last time I was actually with him was having an ice cream in a shop.

Last time I saw him perform was in 2019.

Ninety years old and such a legacy of sound.

Agreed a great loss, but why am I wondering about the flavour of the ice cream? He must have influenced generations of musicians.

• edited December 2021

Barry Harris, beloved jazz pianist devoted to bebop, dies at 91

He was quite active in his later years, so we got some good bonus time.
    Interesting: "In the '60s, he became a close friend of Pannonica de Koenigswarter, known as the Jazz Baroness...Harris moved into her Weehawken home in the mid-'60s, where he lived until his death"
    Article links to this video of him at Newport with Cannonball Adderley - almost 60 years ago
    ETA/LOL: Introducer calls Cannonball an "articulate spokesman" for jazz

• Greg Tate, Influential Critic, Essayist, and Chronicler of the Black Avant-Garde, Dies at 64

"I have come to occupy a somewhat unique position in the constellation of African American writing by keeping one ear to the street, one ear to the academy, and a phantom third hearing organ to my own little artsy-fartsy corner of Gotham and Brooklyn’s Black bohemia."