What are you listening to right now? (21st Century Schizoid Thread)

Comments

• edited October 2021
    "Warsawa" 2004 live album by Porcupine Tree featuring many of their best songs.

To my mind, easily the best modern Prog Rock group. To prove that I mean it, I have 26 of their albums!

AMG says "Embracing and exploring prog rock inspirations while always keeping an ear out for newer musical connections, thus sidestepping the pointless revivalism of many of the band's peers, Porcupine Tree has created some noteworthy albums and songs"

• Genesis  Selling England By The Pound 2007 CD - Discogs

I hadn't realised until today that this was released on my 23rd birthday! It means that it is 48 years old, it doen't seem like it. My favourite early Genesis album, one of my favourites of that era.

• edited October 2021
    @greg I agree that "Selling England By The Pound" is the best early Genesis album. I particularly like "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" and "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)".

And how about this great 1973 live version of "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" with Peter Gabriel at his bizarre, showman best! Love the hairstyle!

• "Berlin School" synth moves.

• @peterfrederics - thanks for the video link, brilliant! Don't they look so young? I need to listen to some more early Genesis. I've got most of their earlier LPs but nothing to play them on!! I suppose Spotify again as the only early album I have bought on CD is Selling England...
  • "The Acid Gospel Experience" by Scenic.

AMG says" The Acid Gospel Experience is..........expansive, eerie, rock, mood music instrumentals, it's a satisfying and evocative collection of pieces.....the ambience does vary considerably with the introduction of many different instruments, motifs, and electronic textures, among them guest piano by Harold Budd."

Scenic - The Acid Gospel Experience - Darla Records
  • edited October 2021
    "This Is For The White In Your Eyes" by Danish group, The Choir Of Young Believers.

I really enjoy the song "Hollow Talk" which is the theme music for that outstanding Danish/Swedish TV series "The Bridge".

This Is For The White In Your Eyes - Album by Choir Of Young Believers   Spotify

• edited October 2021
    John Williams  The Ultimate Guitar Collection 2004 CD - Discogs

• edited October 2021
    Martina Bertoni

St. Johannes Intervention                                                 The Green EP

Elevate
    Ps - I really enjoyed these. Thanks again to @Brighternow.
  • edited October 2021

Martina Claussen - Verwoben
    Emusic
    ps - From the New & Notable thread. @Brighternow will always be a huge influence in my musical direction.
  •  
    Masashi Isai - Five Musics (Plus One)
    Emusic
    Some of my last downloads at Emusic were ones I'd saved for later from his suggestions.
  • edited October 2021
    djh said:

"Berlin School" synth moves.

Thanks, quite enjoying this. I found an unintentionally hilarious review of his most recent release (I take it to be a non-native English speaker):
    The reverberations of the explosion stretch out close to the 3rd minute when the sequencer, also so characteristic of our friend Gert, makes waddle its pensive balls....This time, the sequenced balls have a clear tone and waver idly in suspension until they tie in with the tap dancing of the percussions. The bass buzzes in secret and blends well with the unexpectedly dropped keyboard riffs.... It's two minutes later that the sequencer makes wiggles its resolute balls in a murky ambience reactivated by a very good bass line.
    I have been trying to figure out what underlying (Italian? It's by a Mr. Lupari) expression might have led to the choice of "balls", and I am quite amused the image of the sequencer wiggling its resolute balls... Anyone might think I have a pile of work that I am procrastinating on.
    (I can't help thinking @brighternow would have enjoyed this post, given his enduring love of scatological humor).
    The review concludes myteriously:
    And its opposite, with ambiences where I would not even put the kitten of my female cat outside!
  • Lana Del Ray - Blue Bannisters
  • Public Service Broadcasting- Bright Magic
  • Pulsar - The Strands Of Future (1976)

Pulsar - Halloween (1977)

• djh said:

Thanks, quite enjoying this. I found an unintentionally hilarious review of his most recent release (I take it to be a non-native English speaker):

Was that review on Prog Archives? I did a bit of "research" when I found the album and think I ended up reading that review. Anyway glad you like. It was part of one of those "if you like this you may like... " when I'd been listening to Dutch synth artist Ron Boots. see below.

The Nerd Level on that cover is quite something!

• Working Week - Working Nights

Have not heard this in many years forgot how good this is
  • Really wonderful.

L'Animal Acclimaté

by Jean-Baptiste Geoffroy & Leo Suarez

• Soul Saturday
  • djh said:
    djh said:

Was that review on Prog Archives? I did a bit of "research" when I found the album and think I ended up reading that review. Anyway glad you like. It was part of one of those "if you like this you may like... " when I'd been listening to Dutch synth artist Ron Boots.
    From what I have sampled of each so far, the Emmens seems a bit more interesting than the Boots.
  • edited October 2021
    Weather Report "City Center 30/6/1976" live concert.

Available from Wolfgang's Vault as a download for US$5.

https://www.wolfgangs.com/music/weather-report/audio/20020077-8497.html?tid=4844397

I have been a big fan of Wolfgang's for many years. It has more than 3,000 concerts available for download at US$5 each, dating back as far as the 1960s with many, many more for streaming. Plenty have been sourced from Big Graham's Fillmore East and Fillmore West concerts.

Wolfgang's is also great if you want vintage posters, photos, t-shirts, comics and books plus a treasure trove of vinyl. I have a whole collection of their t-shirts!

https://www.wolfgangs.com

And this concert displays Weather Report at their best.

"Wolfgang's was created in 2003, initially from the archives of famed concert promoter Bill Graham (born Wolfgang Grajonca). The collection not only included all of the concert memorabilia from the Bay Area dating back to the 1960s, but also the master recordings of these shows. Since then, Wolfgang's has acquired dozens of memorabilia and audio/video archives, created new products exclusive to Wolfgang's, and consigned third parties' items - compiling what the Wall Street Journal called "The most important collection of rock memorabilia and recordings ever assembled in one business!""
  • edited October 2021
    Have any of you seen the latest eMusic initiative, "eMusic Live"?

https://www.emusiclive.com

What is rather surprising is the focus on some good, well-known Australian/NZ artists performing in Australia (well-known that is in Australia/NZ!). Examples are Crowded House, the Veronicas, Tina Arena and James Reyne. What is strange about this is that eMusic stopped taking on new Australian members back in around 2010! Also, whilst albums by these artists are available on 7Digital, not to anybody's surprise I am sure, they are not available on eMusic!

Which all means that I must listen to James Reyne's best ever songs when he was lead singer for Australian Crawl in the 1980s - "The Boys Light Up" and "Downhearted". Can't get much more Aussie than these songs and that album cover!

This discussion has been closed.