What are you listening to right now? (21st Century Schizoid Thread)

Comments

• @rostasi

An aside: that Morrison above reminds me of what I heard this morning

I've been a fan of Van Morrison's since seeing him with Them too many decades ago. I've bought all his recordings over the years and seen him several times since then. But I refuse to buy his latest CD because of some of the sentiments expressed in a few tracks. 
  • A recent Cuneiform Friday special. As a Bandcamp reviewer says, "Totally fun. Nothing serious"

• OK, so yes, they are two distinctly different geographies,
    but after reading about the foreign minister of Tuvalu
    standing in knee-deep water pleading for help concerning
    our climate crisis, I started thinking back to my introduction
    to the Republic of Tuva thru the great Richard Feynman many
    years ago and decided to bring out this gem of a recording.
    It's kind of a backwards way of getting back into this again.

• edited November 2021
    "Searching For Sugar Man" an inspiring documentary and great soundtrack about two South African fans wanting to find out what had happened to '70s singer/songwriter Sixto Rodriguez.

Unknown to him, he had been a big star in South Africa but largely ignored in his home country, the U.S. In apartheid South Africa, his music and lyrics resonated with black Africans as well as liberal young Afrikaners.

"He inspired a generation and was a star track to our lives".

If you haven't seen the film, do take a look at the official trailer below.

Rodriguez  Searching For Sugar Man - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack  2012 Vinyl - Discogs

• ^^ @peterfrederics - I was lucky enough to get Cold Fact and Coming From Reality from Emusic many years ago. Five star indeed!
    The Mountain Goats

In League with Dragons                                                   Songs for Pierre Chuvin

Getting Into Knives                                                         The Jordan Lake Sessions: Volumes 1 and 2
  •  
    Mountains - Mountains
    This is one I haven't heard for quite some time. I'm pretty sure I have @Germanprof to thank for the introduction. I was sure I had more but they might be on the broken hard-drive. At any rate, this one's terrific.

• Recorded on the shores of Lake Toba, 1981, this is a CD re-issue of an indonesian album released on Cassette Tape only in 1982. The composers Obeng Ungu & Jalan Buntu chose as the subject and inspiration for the music, quite tragic and horrific events during the first few years of Indonesian independence. The theme of the album seems to be the tremendous struggle of enlightened and 'OPEN' culture, engaging and absorbing outside influences, whilst being viciously oppressed by the conservative and 'closed' culture that holds power and wishes to keep that control at any cost. The actual music is a scarily childish mix of nursery-rhyme gamelan, indonesian style pop and early 80's electronic processing and sampling. Somehow it treads a triangular path between 23 Skidoo, Val Doonican & Harry Partch.

Jalan Buntu: gambang, metallophones, production
    Obeng Ungu: tongtong, kerejing, Roland 808 tongtong-mesin
    Group Uang Wayang: pot gongs, gambang, hasapi, sampeq, surune etek, kacapi indung, rincik, juk, tifa, cuk, cak, sekeleng, Hammond M-101 organ, gurantung, belut listrik, asbak, kelapa etc.....
    Matt Wand: restoration and re-issue

• On September 30, 1965, John Coltrane took his new group to The Penthouse, in Seattle, to make a professional recording during that engagement which would later be issued on Impulse as Live In Seattle. That same day, the group was broadcast over the radio and the music was taped by an amateur fan. All preserved music from this broadcast, which doesn't duplicate a single note of the aforementioned album, is presented on this release

PERSONNEL:
    John Coltrane - Soprano Sax, Tenor Sax
    Pharoah Sanders - Tenor Sax
    Donald Garrett - Bass Clarinet, Bass
    McCoy Tyner - Piano
    Jimmy Garrison - Bass
    Elvin Jones – Drums

• Wadada Leo Smith added to this "electric improvisatory" trio

• Proper Music Bedehus amp Hawaii
    Trond Kallevåg Hansen - "Bedehus & Hawaii"
  • edited November 2021
    I have heard little if any of Taylor's music, but I respect the savvy way she has managed her career, and now especially the way she is clawing back her catalog

• edited November 2021
    A notable new release.
    ETA: This is fantastic.
    Free-wheeling live improvisers Ill Considered open a new chapter with their first fully produced studio album on New Soil, Liminal Space, featuring Tamar Osborn, Sarathy Korwar, Theon Cross and more.
  • Exit From the Cage

• King CrimsonMusic Is Our Friend: Live in Washington and Albany, 2021

• @rostasi thanks for the tip regarding "Auf Auf". It is amazing that this new Embryo album is on a par with their best work from the 1970s like "Opal", "We Keep On" and "Embryo's Reise". 
  • Sliding into Saturday morning. Also pleased to hear good things about the new Embryo!

• Muddy Waters

McKinley Morganfield A.K.A. Muddy Waters          The London Muddy Waters Sessions

London Revisited                                                  The Muddy Waters Woodstock Album
  • Some gentle melodies with a few beats, getting me ready for what is probably my 5th last Monday morning work commute. Sun is shinning etc.

• edited November 2021
    "Armageddon" the 1982 album by the P.J.L. Band is well worth a listen with tracks 2, 4 and 6 being my favourites.

ProgArchives says "The album "Armageddon" by the formation PLJ Band is often considered as the most acclaimed Greek progrock music. It was released in '82 but immediately forbidden because of the blasphemical lyrics and the albums had to be destroyed. Fortunately at about 300 records survived and ended as highly sought after 'collector items' (value more than US $ 300,000) in the arms of some very lucky and wealthy progheads many years later! The stunning surrealistic cover art is in the vein of Salvador Dali. Perhaps his mind reigns over this album?

The album "Armageddon" is one of the most original progrock albums ever made. The tension between the acoustic - and classical guitars (twanging and rhythm) and the soaring and spacey keyboards on one hand and the fiery and howling, distorted electric guitarplay on the other hand creates a lot of tension and compelling climates, emphasized by the hypnotizing vocals. If you want a psychedelic experience without drugs, this one is yours!"

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=934

This discussion has been closed.