What are you listening to right now? (21st Century Schizoid Thread)

Comments

•    
    Try It Before You Buy It                                          The Root Of Blues

Between The Hard Place And The Ground
  • edited November 2021
    Good old good one on Eremite records. Track 1 is a 44-minute master class, kicked off by Parker, which you can stream at Bandcamp

• Hammock- Elsewhere

New album out today
  • My Bandcamp Friday treat. Check out James' Bandcamp page, he has been on a prolific musical streak these last few years

• I bought a bunch of Lomax recordings from Mississippi Records on Bandcamp Friday...

• Calexico  Tool Box 2012 Vinyl - Discogs
    Calexico - "Tool Box"
    After years YEARS! not being able to find which CD case I'd accidentally slipped this CD into, I finally discovered its hiding spot.
    One of Calexico's better albums, and apparently not for sale via digital download.  I purchased it at a merch table at their show long ago at Chicago's Metro venue.  I've seen Calexico a bunch of times back in the day, and fortunately learned early that some of their best music was in the tour-merch-table-only releases.  I think this one came from their 'Garden Ruin' tour.
  • edited November 2021

I am rather enjoying this - intriguing mix of brooding/dark and melodic/bright.
    For Bandcamp Friday I cleared out some wishlist items:
    - Ian Hawgood & Wil Bolton (Emerging),
    - Josh Mason (Utility Music),
    grabbed a couple of half-price sale items from LINE and Neotantra:
    - Tomas Phillips (Intermissions/Six Feuilles)
    - Moss Covered Technology (Sodium Light);
    and added another couple of titles to my growing collection of Longform Editions releases:
    - Nadia Struiwigh (Analog Dream)
  • jonahpwll said:

Calexico  Tool Box 2012 Vinyl - Discogs
    Calexico - "Tool Box"
    After years YEARS! not being able to find which CD case I'd accidentally slipped this CD into, I finally discovered its hiding spot.
    One of Calexico's better albums, and apparently not for sale via digital download.  I purchased it at a merch table at their show long ago at Chicago's Metro venue.  I've seen Calexico a bunch of times back in the day, and fortunately learned early that some of their best music was in the tour-merch-table-only releases.  I think this one came from their 'Garden Ruin' tour.

Pretty much non-stop at this point.  I'm so HAPPY to finally be able to listen to this again.  I had the damn case, just no CD, and I always made sure I had the case in sight for that day when I found the CD.  So, for years, YEARS, I've been staring at that case longingly hoping to hear its music once again.
    Butterfly bend by andreas soderstrom
    Also been listening to Andreas Soderstrom "4" a lot lately, too.

• edited November 2021

Went for the $100 MoonJune sub. I figure there are 30-40 albums I know I will love and at least 40 more I will like,  and the rest, who knows?

• Went for the $100 MoonJune sub. I figure there are 30-40 albums I know I will love and at least 40 more I will like,  and the rest, who knows?
    I was tempted by that too, but I've already picked over their catalog for the ones I really like, so in the end could not quite justify it. Looks like a great deal though - some good stuff in there.

• Went for the $100 MoonJune sub. I figure there are 30-40 albums I know I will love and at least 40 more I will like,  and the rest, who knows?
    I was tempted by that too, but I've already picked over their catalog for the ones I really like, so in the end could not quite justify it. Looks like a great deal though - some good stuff in there.
    There may be a hundred ways of justifying the purchase, but essentially I've been looking for prog-adjacent Jazz and had already identified a few Moonjune albums I was hoping would be discounted going into this BC Friday. When the offer his my mailbox, it was just a matter of scanning their catalog to see if the value was there for me. I've listened to two other albums, both of which I rated as being less interesting, but found myself pulled in. Groundswell is a really good synthesis of Asian forms with rock, and Beledo's Escape has some really neat synth guitar noodling, even if the record feels a little dated. 
  • There may be a hundred ways of justifying the purchase, but essentially I've been looking for prog-adjacent Jazz and had already identified a few Moonjune albums I was hoping would be discounted going into this BC Friday. When the offer his my mailbox, it was just a matter of scanning their catalog to see if the value was there for me. I've listened to two other albums, both of which I rated as being less interesting, but found myself pulled in. Groundswell is a really good synthesis of Asian forms with rock, and Beledo's Escape has some really neat synth guitar noodling, even if the record feels a little dated. 
    I have particularly enjoyed Mahogany Frog, Tohpati and simakDialog. D.F.A. and Beledo were OK too. I am less of a fan of all the Levin-related (except the Bruford-Levin, which I quite liked) and Reuter-related stuff. A good deal for sure.
  • I have explored a few Gamardah Fungus releases more with interest (how could a band with a name that good, releasing on labels that I tend to like, not be doing something interesting?) than with resulting enthusiasm (until now I have not quite connected with them when I've listened). But this one is really hitting the spot.
    You will hear sharp ragged guitars on the verge of power ambient and drone doom, which is closely intertwined with dense passages of modular synthesizer. This album has turned out the most emotional and uncompromising record for us in the last few years. It is like sailing in the deep dark waters through the hurricane, at the end of which eternal grace can open up to you.

Yup, that's about what it sounds like. Good stuff.

• Mogwai

Rock Action                                                                    Atomic

ZEROZEROZERO                                                              2018

• Being And Becoming - Robert Fripp, transcribed by Bert Lams, performed by Metropole Orkest, conducted by Lawrence Renes, and orchestrated by Andrew Keeling
  • Some relaxing 80s sounding synth to start the day.
    @rostasi - welcome back! I wondered was the "kingsmen" release inspired by the Audion article? I'm still 50/50 with what I've heard so far.

• djh said:
    @rostasi - welcome back! I wondered was the "kingsmen" release inspired by the Audion article? I'm still 50/50 with what I've heard so far.
    Thanks! The trip was strange and anxious in some ways and beautiful and relaxing in others.
    Back just in time for the US to enter its 6th Covid wave (as of Monday).

Actually, no, to the Kungens Man thru Audion (now, I'll have to go back and listen to that issue), but, rather, I sometimes get stuck on a particularly interesting Bandcamp label and start digging deeper. This morning I'm at this label and will move to others as I sift thru the over 500 emails awaiting me.

An aside: that Morrison above reminds me of what I heard this morning:

• Jethro Tull _ Aqaualung
This discussion has been closed.