RIP

Comments

• @rostasi The NPR story mentions this one, which I have never previously heard or heard of

• It's solo from the early 80s and it has some good stuff, but there are at least a dozen more that I'd go to first (more if you consider him in his sideman capacity).
  • edited December 2021
    Michael Nesmith

While he and Dolenz were doing this recent, officially: a "last" tour,
    I watched an interview with the two of them. Nez was funny in his usual way
    during it and told stories that he'd probably told hundreds of times before.
    Dolenz, on the other hand, looked like he was a combination of pissed
    and really exhausted and wasn't really looking good. ...and some of the concert
    footage of the two of them showed that Dolenz' voice was shot.

As a youngster, I called Dolenz on the phone because he was my
    favorite Monkee at that time, but as years have gone on I've realized
    that out of all four of them, the creative force was really Nesmith.
    Yes, there were The Monkees, but a more creative snug-fit that he'll be
    remembered for is the fact that he was a pioneer in music-video art.
    His mother invented "Liquid Paper" BTW.

• rostasi said:
    Michael Nesmith

While he and Dolenz were doing this recent, officially: a "last" tour,
    I watched an interview with the two of them. Nez was funny in his usual way
    during it and told stories that he'd probably told hundreds of times before.
    Dolenz, on the other hand, looked like he was a combination of pissed
    and really exhausted and wasn't really looking good. ...and some of the concert
    footage of the two of them showed that Dolenz' voice was shot.

It's strange but that's so often the way these things happen. Although Rio aside I didn't get to hear much of his post Monkees music until the two-fer cd reissues it seems tragic to have lost Mike Nesmith and Robbie Shakespeare the same week.

• A friend posted this...Somehow I never knew Mike wrote it!

• He'll be sadly missed as well as Robbie. 
    Michael Nesmith

1992               Tropical Campfires
    One of my favourites of his.

Laugh Kills Lonesome - Charles Russell
  • Ronnie Spector

1943-2022

Among other things, she sang lead on the 1963 smash hit "Be My Baby," quite possibly the greatest "girl-group" single of all time.
  • Meatloaf - a unique rock artist. RIP
  • Lots of famous people deaths lately.
    I was bemoaning the loss of 3 greats on one day (Sunday)
    when we lost Lata MangeshkarSyl Johnson, and George Crumb.
    Then the next day we lost another great: Douglas Trumbull.
    But it’s gonna be a natural thing considering that you have a
    whole lifetime of enjoyment when it comes to these folks.
  • Howard Grimes

Dude was baaadass!
  • Dallas Good of the Sadies. Great band, and he was only 48. Huge loss.

• Devastating: the great person, trumpeter, and composer Dennis Gonzalez died yesterday.
    https://www.facebook.com/stefan.gonzalez.146/posts/1433128507104561
  • Here too...

https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2022/03/dennis-gonzalez-obituary/

He was our special avant-gardist here in our city,
    and he made a whole bunch of good albums and
    played with a lot of great musicians like Henry Grimes,
    Charles BrackeenAndrew CyrilleMalachi Favors, a.o.
    He basically brought both Brackeen and Grimes out
    of retirement to record their first albums in a long time.
    Back in my teenage years, he was very supportive of
    my reviews for a local jazz publication. His two talented
    kids had worked, at varying times, at a local favorite vegan
    restaurant to supplement their lives as creative musicians.
  • I thought maybe he caught the foo, but apparently…
    … Among the drugs found by a urine toxicological test performed by officials were marijuana, opioids, tricyclic antidepressants and benzodiazepines, the statement said. An exact cause of death was not announced, and the National Institute of Forensic Medicine continues to investigate, the attorney general said.

• Mira Calix

and

Philip Jeck

I first met him in Austria after nervously asking him a question,
    but then got to visit with him more often during the week.
    Then, about 6 years later, he stopped me in a restaurant called,
    "Tomato Head" in Knoxville and I ended up joining him for dinner.

After asking Jana Winderen a question,
    I asked Jeck about his multiple-armed turntable setup -
    of which he doesn't use  - it turns out I confused him with
    Janek Schaefer's setup, but I could've sworn that I had
    read that he used this during at least one concert. Nope.
  • I met Jeck once but spent my time bugging Fennesz with idiot questions. My friend John however had this to say.

Did you know him? I met him once. He seemed like a gent. He told us about his dad during WW2 - a Polish soldier who'd been forced to fight on the Nazis side. He was captured by British troops, "retrained" and sent back out to fight for the Allies. Amazing story

I saw a Jeck & Schaefer duo at Victoriaville one year if that's a help.
  • I think what happened is that I read an article about the two of them performing together - in The Wire and probably that Victoriaville concert - and mistakenly thought that he had built multiple-arm turntables as well.
  • edited April 2022
    The Mighty Diamonds’ Lead Singer Tabby Diamond Killed in Drive-by Shooting (March 29)

then 3 days later...

Another Diamond in the Sky, Fitzroy “Bunny Diamond” Simpson Passes Away (April 1)

Random Radio 068: The Front Line and Beyond

While living in a town of only about 2500 people, I had a radio show on a Dallas station while in high school. Virgin Records used to send promos and handwritten letters to me when it was a very small operation. Early on, reggae played a very small part - a B. B. Seaton single would arrive, for instance, with little fanfare from me. Then, one day, a package arrived with an advance copy of The Mighty Diamonds album "Right Time" and I was absolutely floored by its sound. This was what reggae should be all about. It was definitely going to be played on my next show (before it was even officially released). Totally enraptured, I was an immediate convert - stretching all the way to today - 45 years later. The first 7 minutes of this mix is a mini-mix of excerpts from the later named Virgin "Front Line" series (1978).
  • @rostasi that is so bizarre! Right Time was a massive album and the Front Line series a great education for me back in the late '70's.

• Orlando Julius

His Modern Aces album has been released as a two-fer with the Afro Sounders album.
    His Modern Aces ensemble took advantage of the sounds of highlife coming out of a just
    recently independent Ghana and fused it with soul, jazz and a smattering of Cuban swing.
    When you hear what was popular in the mid-60s Nigeria -singles like ToplessJagua Nana
    E Se Re Re, and Ololufe you can understand its immediate popularity.
    The key differences between these two bands is that although both are tremendous,
    you get a bit more jazz and funk along with some more daring playing from Julius and
    more stretching out by the band in the Afro Sounders line-up.

By the early to mid 70s, Orlando Julius' star-power was beginning to be eclipsed by Fela 
    and so America called and he answered by, first, starting another band called, Umoja,
    then was whisked away by Hugh Masekela to play in his band. Touring, teaching and
    collaborations followed with a long stint with the Heliocentrics. Two good places to start:

• Having the opportunity to study with Hermann Nitsch was one of those decisions that,
    at first, was a difficult one to have to make. Very clearly, aspects of his work repulsed me,
    but I had to weigh those against the fascinating aspects of ritual that were entrancing.
    Sometimes, one has to recognize the repulsive and find a way to creatively substitute
    those aspects with manners - ways of working - that will create your very own inner and
    outer ritualisms to overcome those initial mental obstacles. Today: a daylong listening ritual.

One of many recordings today: the 51-Disc set:

• rostasi said:
    Having the opportunity to study with Hermann Nitsch was one of those decisions that,
    at first, was a difficult one to have to make. Very clearly, aspects of his work repulsed me,
    but I had to weigh those against the fascinating aspects of ritual that were entrancing.
    Sometimes, one has to recognize the repulsive and find a way to creatively substitute
    those aspects with manners - ways of working - that will create your very own inner and
    outer ritualisms to overcome those initial mental obstacles. Today: a daylong listening ritual.

One of many recordings today: the 51-Disc set:

I had mixed feelings about seeing him play in concert some years back. Fortunately he confined himself to playing a chapel organ along with two helpers (one of whom was the partner of a friend) for some six-hand organ Axxkions!