What are you listening to right now? (24 hours from Tulsa)

Comments

• confused said:
    rostasi said:
    You had me sold by the terrific album cover. Made a great soundtrack to start off this mornings watch. Can't wait for the snow to melt and get back digging.

I'm including some of it on the March 27 show. It's quite nice (but short).
  • edited March 11
    confused said: You had me sold by the terrific album cover. Made a great soundtrack to start off this mornings watch. Can't wait for the snow to melt and get back digging.

@confused it's totally the opposite to your snow, here in Melbourne! Three days in a row with temperatures in the high 30s deg C, a record for March!

So I am listening to albums that remind me most of these hot summer days (well, autumn really). First off, "Blues for the Red Sun", to my mind the best ever album by Stoner Metal pioneers Kyuss.

AMG says about Kyuss "Kyuss...has become something like a heavy metal equivalent to the Velvet Underground. Although they are widely acknowledged as pioneers of the booming stoner rock scene of the 1990s, the band enjoyed little commercial success during their brief existence, but their combination of sludgy, down-tuned guitars (often played through a bass amp for maximum, earth-shaking intensity), spacey jams, galloping thrash metal rhythms, and organic drums became a blueprint, often copied, but never quite replicated by countless underground metal bands.

and about the album "1992's stunning Blues for the Red Sun. Soon hailed as a landmark by critics and fans alike, the album took the underground metal world by storm and established the signature Kyuss sound once and for all: the doom heaviness of Black Sabbath, the feedback fuzz of Blue Cheer, and the space rock of Hawkwind, infused with psychedelic flashes, massive grooves, and a surprising sensibility for punk rock, metal, and thrash."

• edited March 11
    And now to a totally different kind of music. When I think of summer, still after all these years, it is always The Beach Boys that immediately come to mind!

So, I'm listening to my favourite Beach Boys compilation, short but succinct with all their best songs and that great title - 1974's "Endless Summer".

I couldn't say it any better than AMG "This was the album by which millions of sons of late baby boomers (and sons and daughters of the early ones) first really discovered the Beach Boys.....It was the summer of 1974 when this double LP of their 1963-1966 material...came along and did the job. Endless Summer....soared to number one and charted high over two subsequent summers (spending three years on the charts, the longest of any of the group's albums), and attracted the enthusiastic attention of millions of listeners too young to have bought their singles back when......a simple, celebratory sun-lit graphic....spoke volumes about the music."

Vintage Vinyl The Beach Boys Endless Summer 60s Pop Surf Rock 2X LP Record Set image 1
  • edited March 11
    And finally, as I walk down by the beach at 6.00 pm with the temperature still at 37 deg C (!!!), listening to the 2008 album "Summer Sessions Vol. 1" by one of my favourite Psychedelic/Space Rock bands, Causa Sui.

Causa Sui Summer Sessions vol 1  El Paraiso Records
  • And finally, as I walk down by the beach at 6.00 pm with the temperature still at 37 deg C (!!!), listening to the 2008 album "Summer Sessions Vol. 1" by one of my favourite Psychedelic/Space Rock bands, Causa Sui.

I just can't imagine living in that heat for a stretch. The hottest it got here last summer was 32C one day and 15C the next in June where the average is usually around 20C, near the start of our fire season. Smokiest if I remember correctly. Hopefully it's getting close to the end of your fire season as you prepare for your autumn and our spring. We've seen the news reports of the evacuations in Victoria and hope your autumn brings cooler temps and more rain. Hot summers always make me think of The Lovin' Spoonful.

Pause                                                                   Everything Ecstatic

Steve Reid Ensemble

Spirit Walk                                                            Daxaar (Recorded In Africa)
  • rostasi said:
    Earlier today, he had an online "listening party" for that album.
    Yeah, I've been attending a few of those but had work that clashed with that one.
  • edited March 11

(A really nice ambient-leaning mix by Peter Van Cooten that includes music by David Lang, David Toop, Giya Kancheli, Kreng, Alva Noto, Arve Henriksen, and many others.)
    Because of the drones, atmospheric field recordings and insect sounds, this mix will be labeled as an 'ambient' mix by most listeners. And of course it is.... but at the same time it isn't. It simply isn't 'unobtrusive' enough to be 'ambient'. An hour-long journey of scene changes, meandering between Kitsch and Kult - a bit more 'psychedelic' than 'ambient', in fact.
  • Norah Jones - Visions
  • edited March 12
    George Mraz / Emil Viklický - Together Again
    I'm heading to Prague in a couple of days, so time for some Czech music.
    Which leads me to realize I don't have very much Czech music.
  • ^^^Which leads me to realize I don't have very much Czech music.^^^
    You familiar with these people? I met them at Victo once.

The Plastic People of the Universe Egon Bondys Happy Hearts Club Banned album cover

•    
    Kieran Hebden And Steve Reid                             Kieran Hebden And Steve Reid
       – The Exchange Session Vol. 1                             – The Exchange Session Vol. 2

Fridge - The Sun                                                  Kieran Hebden And Steve Reid – Tongues
  • edited March 12
    djh said:
    ^^^Which leads me to realize I don't have very much Czech music.^^^
    You familiar with these people? I met them at Victo once.

The Plastic People of the Universe Egon Bondys Happy Hearts Club Banned album cover

No, never heard of them. I looked up the Czech bands and Czech artists pages on Wikipedia and was struck that I know almost none of the names. It's Emil Viklický (whose name I finally know how to pronounce thanks to some Czech lessons) or bust, lol. And of course Dvořák (whose name is still hard to pronounce properly despite some Czech lessons).
    ETA: OK, that's not work music :-)
  • edited March 12
    In the mid-80s, for a number of months, I was in a deep depressive funk due to various weird things happening in my life at that time - we're talking about 20+ hour sleep days. One day, I reached into a collection of LPs that I had sitting out in a specially made box that I'd use for on-air DJing and pulled out that album to listen to, but before I did, I started reading the booklet - actually, a good sized book! - that came with the record and suddenly, I was completely out of my depression. It was pretty incredible. It hit a nerve somehow ... so, I owe a lot to the Plastic People of the Universe.
  • Two newly issued albums - "The Likes of Us" by Big Big Train and "STONE" by Baroness

Big Big Train - The Likes Of Us Album Review - The Prog Report

Stone
  • Karl Wallinger - The Waterboys / World Party  made his last full visit here in 2018. 

A Pagan Place                                                       This Is The Sea

Private Revolution                                                Goodbye Jumbo 

Thank You World                                                  Give It All Away CD1, CD2

Bang!                                                                   Egyptology

Dumbing Up                                                         Live!

Gone too young and will be sadly missed. Always!

• Recent new release. Nice but a little anonymous on first listen.
  • "The Sky Unfurls, The Dance Goes On" a gentle Psychedelic Rock album from 2023 by Wax Machine

• edited March 16
    "Leaves Turn Inside You" by Unwound

According to AMG "Unwound's new melodicism exudes the mood of a late summer afternoon, floating through the shimmer and haze of an indeterminate duration that asks you not to speculate on the length of the season, but allows you to bask in a kind of resigned confidence in the present. Ultimately, "Leaves Turn Inside You" is a unique, epic effort from one of the most inventive and dynamic rock bands in recent memory."

Unwound  Leaves Turn Inside You 2001 CD - Discogs

• Kieran Hebden / Four Tet

Pink                                                                     0181

Beautiful Rewind                                                   Morning / Evening

Randoms
  •      
    New Energy                                                          Sixteen Oceans                                                    

Parallel                                                                 Kieran Hebden & William Tyler 
                                                                                  – Darkness, Darkness / No Services
  • It's turned into a ritual that's lasted for 44 years,
    but it's an enjoyable thing to play this work (with interview)
    every St. Patrick's Day (and sometimes even broadcasting it on this day).

• Kim Cascone      
    Kim Cascone studied electronic music at Berklee College of Music, Boston and worked since the late 70's in electronics. In the late 80's Cascone was assistant music editor for David Lynch's films 'Twin Peaks' and 'Wild At Heart'. In 1986 Cascone founded the record label Silent, where he released first results of his project PGR
    Cascone now releases music on Sub Rosa, Mille Plateaux and runs a small vanity label called Anechoic
    (AstralfishHydrosphereKGB (24)Patternclear (2)PGRSatellite IVSpice BaronsThessaloniansPower Of Seven)

PGR / Thessalonians      archive.org                     Arcane Device / PGR – Fetish     archive.org
    – The Concentration Of Light Prior To Combustion

The Chemical Bride        archive.org                     A Hole Of Unknown Depth    

Future Perfect State
  • Stevie Wonder - Fulingness First Finale
  • confused said:
     In 1986 Cascone founded the record label Silent, where he released first results of his project PGR.
    Up to pretty recently, I had a t-shirt from his old "Silent" record label that I got in the early 90s.
  • ^^^The Tony Conrad album is the only album I had thanks to Emusic, so once again the archives come through. 
    Kim Cascone

Cathodeflower          archive.org                           Kim Cascone / Andrey Kiritchenko  archive.org
                                                                                  / Andreas BerthlingKotra – Fourfold Symmetry

Gravity Handler       archive.org                           Kim Cascone + Jason KahnSteinbrüchel – Untitled
                                                                                 archive.org

Anti-Musical Celestial Forces    archive.org           Domenico Sciajno / Kim Cascone – Hyaline
                                                                                    archive.org

Tony Conrad & Kim Cascone – The Celestial Monochord
  • King Curtis

The New Scene Of King Curtis                              Soul Meeting

Country Soul       archive.org (vinyl)                      King Curtis & The Kingpins - King Size Soul 

Live At Fillmore West                                            King Curtis & Champion Jack Dupree 
                                                                                   – Blues At Montreux
  • King Tubby

King Tubby And The Aggrovators                         Dub From The Roots
              - Shalom Dub 

Augustus Pablo                                                   King Tubby Meets Roots Radics – Dangerous Dub
       - Rockers Meets King Tubbys In A Fire House

Upset The Upsetter                                               From The Palace Of Dub
  • "En Avant Doute" 2007 album by French Progressive Rock group Lazuli

AMG says "Lazuli's music is strikingly original yet surprisingly accessible. Its originality comes from the group's unusual instrumentation, which includes a lot of mallet percussion, touch guitars (both Warr guitar and Chapman stick), and the Léode, a one-of-a-kind instrument

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17363

LAZULI En avant doute reviews
  • Hmm I appear to have been gone a while, sorry about that. Here's an interesting percussion / sax duo album that I found lurking on one of my drives. It's far more interesting that the somewhat duff cover would suggest. I know nothing about the artists and can't even find a Discogs entry.

• @djh -It's always interesting to me what you find on the hard drives so I'll continue to look forward  to what you find and are listening to, just like the rest of the folks who pop in and out here. Haven't heard from @greg for a while so I hope he's just taking a break.

K.K. Null & others

Kazuyuki K. Null / James Plotkin – Aurora             Invisible Disaster
      archive.org

Atomik Disorder      nyop                                     KK. Null  Chris Watson  Z'EV – Number One
                                                                                    archive.org

KK.Null / Z'EV – Artificial Life     archive.org                           Fertile       archive.org