What are you listening to right now? (24 hours from Tulsa)

Comments

• confused said:
    @djh -It's always interesting to me what you find on the hard drives so I'll continue to look forward  to what you find and are listening to, just like the rest of the folks who pop in and out here. Haven't heard from @greg for a while so I hope he's just taking a break.

Thanks for the kind words. I also write for a music APA (Amateure Press Association (think fanzine) and I get tied up with that writing 10-20K words of reviews and chit chat every 2 months. Plus there's that real life stuff to do every now and again. @greg is probably following Spurs progress in the Premier League - only 5th place whilst their tradition rivals Arsenal are currently top. I hope that's all it is anyway. (This coming from a non-soccer fan - I should say football as soccer fans get upset otherwise...)

• Greg is a Manchester United fan if I recall correctly, its his family are Spurs fans, hope he is ok and will be in contact soon
  • Lowlife said:
    Greg is a Manchester United fan if I recall correctly, its his family are Spurs fans, hope he is ok and will be in contact soon

Ah my error, then he's one place lower than Spurs, poor chap. Anyway as you say hope he's back soon.
  •  
    Gamma Ray Burster    archive.org

Z'EV / KK Null – Extra Space, Extra Time

KK Null + The Noiser                                            KK Null / Israel Martínez / Lumen Lab 
                                                                                    – Terra Incognita

KK Null & Balázs Pándi – Demon Core                   KK Null x Dao De Noise – Digital Demons

• djh said:
    Hmm I appear to have been gone a while, sorry about that. Here's an interesting percussion / sax duo album that I found lurking on one of my drives. It's far more interesting that the somewhat duff cover would suggest. I know nothing about the artists and can't even find a Discogs entry.

I knew that band name and album cover looked familiar.  I wrote about it back when it came out in 2015.
    Really expressive modern set from the duo of Boriana Dimitrova on wind instruments and Niels-Henrik Heinsohn on drums (plus a couple guests on more wind instruments and piano).  The upbeat tempos have a relentless quality that borders on hypnotic at times, and also provides a clean landing strip for when the duo enters a brief meditative passage.  Fun music, full of life.
    Here's the info on the Laika Records site:  http://www.laika-records.com/RECORDS/Boriana_Dimitrova.html

• The KLF      Thanks to @Lowlife for the heads up on Mu 2!!   Still nyop. 
    I've got a soft spot for tunes that include trains!

Chill Out                                                              The White Room

The KLF Assisted By The Children Of The New Revolution – Mu 2   nyop

Klima

Klima                                                                   Serenades & Serinettes
  • jonahpwll said:

I knew that band name and album cover looked familiar.  I wrote about it back when it came out in 2015.

It's entirely possible that you sent me on the hunt in the first place.

• Good Morning!

Primary

East Bionic Symphonia – Recorded Live July 13, 1976

One of those obscure but quite highly sought after experimental psych releases. Some file it as improvision.

East Bionic Symphonia (voice, electronics, recorder, harmonica, tambourine, castanet, violin, viola da gamba, fue, tabla, toys, etc.)
    Kazuo Imai
    Kaoru Okabe
    Yasushi Ozawa
    Tomonao Koshikawa
    Hiroshi Shii
    Masami Tada
    Tatsuo Hattori
    Kazuaki Hamada
    Masaharu Minegishi
    Chie Mukai

Recorded live at Bigakko in Jimbocho, Kanda, Tokyo, July 13, 1976

• ^^An early good morning from here as well. I'll keep an ear out for those folks as well.

Klima Kalima   (Kalle Kalima, guitar – Oliver Potratz  bass – Oliver Steidle  drums) is an energetic jazz trio with an expressive and original sound. The music is, however, rooted in the tradition of modern jazz.

A most enjoyable listen!

Chasing Yellow                                                     Loru

Finn Noir                                                              Live On Planet Berlin
  • "En Avant Doute" 2007 album by French Progressive Rock group Lazuli

AMG says "Lazuli's music is strikingly original yet surprisingly accessible. Its originality comes from the group's unusual instrumentation, which includes a lot of mallet percussion, touch guitars (both Warr guitar and Chapman stick), and the Léode, a one-of-a-kind instrument

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=17363

LAZULI En avant doute reviews
    My favorite Lazuli album is Le Fantastique Envol de Dieter Böhm (Link) - the releases since then have not grabbed me quite as much. I have not really explored the early catalogue.

NP:
    Pleasantly bleepy.
  • Some tunes to watch snow melt and birds sit.
    Klute  (Tom Withers - Ipswich drum and bass artist)

Fear Of People                                                      The Emperor's New Clothes
  •    
    Music For Prophet                                                Whatever It Takes
  • Eden - Aura - 1979

Eden Aura album cover

Back to sorting out that double redundancy drive of mine. Hammond lead French symphonic / electronic duo. Considering there was a drummer and a guy who did everything else its a pretty full band sound. The keyboard maestro went on to be a police commisioner or something. One and only album. A solid 3/5 from me.

• edited March 27
    Good morning all - I'm back! At the end of October we went on a great holiday to Jordan - an amazing country. Unfortunately my wife and I both caught a bacterial infection, probably whilst we were in a swimming pool when staying at a desert camp that developed in us during November. BY early December first my wife went into hospital for five nights, and a few days later i followed. I was there for 16 nights, coming out late on December 23rd, after a operation on my left leg. I was on high doses of two antibiotics for three months causing tiredness and brain fog. After two weeks off them i am beginning to get back to normality, but still working on my mobility.

I've listened to lots  of music in that time, currently playing one of my favorite contemporary bands from the South London jazz scene, Kokoroko
  • ^^^ Welcome back! Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Koch-Schütz-Studer  (Hans KochMartin SchützFredy Studer)

Koch-Schütz-Studer & Músicos Cubanos – Fidel   Koch-Schütz-Studer w/ DJ M. Singe & DJ I-Sound
                                                                                  – Roots And Wires

Koch-Schütz-Studer & Christian Uetz                   Life Tied
      – Live Im Schiffbau

Tales From 30 Unintentional Nights                      Koch-Schütz-Studer With Shelley Hirsch 
                                                                                  – Walking And Stumbling Through Your Sleep
  • ^^^ Welcome back @greg sorry to hear of yours and your wife's woes!^^^
  • Koen Park is the early electronic music of Ian Hawgood

Pastoral Pioneer    nyop / archive.org                   My Log: August 2008   nyop / archive.org

Nowhere Home   nyop / archive.org                    Computers Are Not Our Friends  nyop / archive.org

'84 '85      nyop / archive.org                               The Lazy Burden    nyop / archive.org
                                                                                note- the Bandcamp album has a different track 
                                                                                  list than the archived selection.
  • Love Comes to Town by Torsten Goods 2013-07-09

Part of my ACT haul just before they left eMusic

• edited March 29
    @greg glad to hear you're back and feeling better. Sounds like an awful experience.

@Germanprof thanks for the tip about the other Lazuli album. I'm really enjoying it!

Meanwhile I have been listening to a 1978 Prog Rock album "Erwartung" by the German band Eden

• Konntinent    (Antony Harrison)  I've quite enjoyed these.

All Lines Lead In    archive.org                              If I Could Buy A Map Of Hope : Volume 2
                                                                                   archive.org

Down With Candy                                                 Opal Island

Kiruna
  • confused said:
    Konntinent    (Antony Harrison)  I've quite enjoyed these.

All Lines Lead In    archive.org                              If I Could Buy A Map Of Hope : Volume 2
                                                                                   archive.org

Down With Candy                                                 Opal Island

Kiruna

I'm just at archive.org and listening to Konntinent's All Line Lead In. Did you notice who the only review was written by back in 2007? Only our old friend @Brighternow!
  • edited March 30
    Released a week ago, "The Carnegie Hall Concert" from an outstanding performance by Alice Coltrane made in 1971. This took place not long after the recording of what I regard as her best album, "Journey in Satchidananda".

It includes live versions of two tracks from the album, "Journey in Satchidananda" and "Shiva-Loka" plus her version of two compositions by her then not long passed husband John Coltrane, "Leo" and "Africa".

AMG comments "She is backed by a double quartet, with saxophonists Pharoah Sanders and Archie Shepp, bassists Jimmy Garrison and Cecil McBee, drummers Ed Blackwell and Clifford JarvisTulsi Sen Gupta on tamboura, and Kumar Kramer on harmonium......All told, the concert's pace, textures, explosive drama, virtuosity, and limitless creativity are unmatched........This is an essential entry in Coltrane's catalog and a remarkable kick-off to Impulse's "Year of Alice."

An absolute must listen for any jazz aficianado.

Alice Coltrane The Carnegie Hall Concert Album Review  Pitchfork
  • edited March 30
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Yes, to this. I've been listening to this regularly for a while now.
    Good recording quality too!
    Definitely end-of-year list material.
  • djhdjh
    edited March 30

Thanks for the reminder, I certainly need this one, but why oh why does it cost £19.99 for a single cd from Amazon? No cd available at Presto Jazz, but I'm tempted to go Flac for £12.89. Given there is a captive audience for this, is it just gouging by Impulse! or has the rediculous price for new vinyl started increasing the price for cds, the market splitting over the 1% who want physical product and just don't care about price and the 99% who are happy with low quality streaming?

[EDIT - I went back and forwards on this one before buying the cd from the evil empire. This way I actually get something other than junk mail in the post next week...]

• Just found out about this release via Steve Smith's newsletter Night After Night / For the Record...

I’m always loathe to highlight archival records ahead of new creations by living composers, but less so when I can help shed some light on a freshly unearthed gem rediscovered through genuinely worthwhile labor. Asparagus, new today on Oren Ambarchi’s ceaselessly engaging label Black Truffle, is a result of composer Matt Sargent digging through the tape archives of the late Richard Teitelbaum, the extraordinary electronic composer and improviser who died in 2020. (My New York Times obituary is here.)

Asparagus, by Richard Teitelbaum

Black Truffle

4 track album

Teitelbaum created this music for a cult film of the same name by Suzan Pitt, first fashioning dreamy layers of Moog and Polymoog synthesizer tones, and then cutting up that material with noisy incursions from soprano saxophonist Steve Lacy and trombonist George Lewis. Both the raw tracks and the completed score are on this 2LP/DL release, along with a splendid account of another Teitelbaum work, Threshold Music, performed by Sargent with Leila Bordreuil, Alvin Curran, Daniel Fishkin, and Miguel Frasconi at a December 2022 concert in Teitelbaum’s memory at Roulette.

The animated film by Suzan Pitt has just been reissued but I'm not sure I'm up to watching something that was originally shown on midnight double bills with Eraserhead. Anyone here use MUBI to watch films?

• djh said:
    I'm just at archive.org and listening to Konntinent's All Line Lead In. Did you notice who the only review was written by back in 2007? Only our old friend @Brighternow!
    No, I missed or forgot that entirely. I was just searching back for the addresses and didn't look any further down the page. Always nice to have some good thoughts for him. 
    At any rate, here's some more.

Closer Came The Light                                         Black Elk (Duet) x Konntinent     nyop
    /Should We Make It Through The Night / Wayside

The Empire Line                                                   Relics Of Rama    
  • edited March 30
    djh said:
    I certainly need this one, but why oh why does it cost £19.99 for a single cd from Amazon?

Well, Amazon appears to have the double disc for anywhere from $19 to $23 which is a pretty reasonable price methinks (well, for these days anyway). Also, when I say "good recording quality," I'm speaking relatively so. There will be some glitches now and then, but the original 4-track tapes have gone missing and so they had to make do with something not as good ... but, still glorious to hear this.
  • edited March 31
    "10 > 10 - A Pearl Of Ten Krautrock Jams Longer Than Ten Minutes" issued in 2023.

An obscure album that is difficult to find but well worth the hunt. It includes ten outstanding Krautrock tracks from lesser known bands each lasting over 10 minutes.

The two CD album is available for download in Australia on Apple iTunes for the reasonable price of $A11.99 ($US7.80) and I see that it's also available on 7Digital in the U.S. for $US5.99.