Are we dead yet?

Comments

• And the reality is that Amazon has lowered prices while eMusic has raised prices during the recession.
  • Amazon has been picking my goddam pocket while I find them damn lower prices there.
  • A really good point over there from theenddecay:
    With the loss of Domino, Merge, and Beggars Group, the editorial content is irrelevant. Think about the albums in the top 50 last year or the prior years. Think of the countless spotlight articles. This is just sad and embarassing for eMusic.

Craig
  • One of the best of the day from over there:
    I'm sure that right now you'd be hard pressed to find a customer that would defend the company from any sort of allegation, be it credit card fraud or bestiality.

good old Nereffid.
  • OMG! I'm sitting in the library right now getting the soon to be gone albums that aare on my SFL. I actually laughed out loud at the quote from Nereffid. Had to stifle myself. LOLOL
  • Hey, 68 got quoted on Hypebot!

What the story misses is that 68 is actually predicting another service will spring up to fill the gap made by the departure of the Indies. We can only hope...hey, maybe we can get some venture capital for that idea!
  • This could actually be true - people cut out the monthly line item, but still want music, so they end up spending more at iTunes and Amazon because it's so much easier to buy there.
    Of that I have no doubt. I find it odd only because eMu positions itself as a low cost alternative to iTunes and Amazon--it presents itself as an economic choice.
  • edited November 2010
    BTW, can we speculate now that the UMG delay had nothing to do with the Beatles catalog, everything to do with working out some deal with the Indies and perhaps UMG as well? Can we also speculate that eMu has chosen UMG over the Indies?
  • We can. But mostly I think it really has to do with emu wanting to roll out the new inventory asap but physically weren't able to do it in the timeline they quoted themselves into.
    But, hey, I believe in the power of positive thinking. Maybe I'll get another shot at downloading some Lambchop. Oh, no, wait, I'm canceling.
    The inevitability of pessimistic thinking was too much to withstand.
  • We can speculate that, but I still think it was just incompetence on eMu's part.

So...who here is still going to be an eMu member? Anyone?

Craig
  • BTW, can we speculate now that the UMG delay had nothing to do with the Beatles catalog, everything to do with working out some deal with the Indies and perhaps UMG as well?
    Yep.
    Can we also speculate that eMu has chosen UMG over the Indies?
    We're a little past 'speculate' on that one!
  • I'm headed off to Limewire. Plenty of jazz there for me to feast upon.
  • P.S. One of my AAJ counterparts also just quit emusic after I told him about Limewire having all the jazz he and I are into buying. And he was a long time subscriber who was still getting something like a 100 dls per month (or more).
  • I wish there was a "refer a friend" option on LWS.

Craig
  • I'm kinda excited at the prospect of being able to refer to The Wire as often as possible.
  • Yeah, I just picked up Guillermo Klein's new album on The Wire.
    Hey, did you know that they have Ron Miles on The Wire; they don't on emu.
    Emu, lame sounding.
  • My apologies to the animal kingdom.
  • Bad move telling me about the post count.
  • Careful. The Wire can be dangerous:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGyiV12IaXCwFPDR8RxVJ4dFGpt_ALW5T-9oK0C9cNvOhwL0Sx

Craig
  • So...who here is still going to be an eMu member? Anyone?

I've got one more refresh at 50% off (and am keeping my fingers that they'll be held back again on the changes so I get 50 credits instead of $17.99), then I'm out.
    Me, but that's because I like playing the victim. I've been with them over 9 years and as much as people bitch about the search and layout it it still trumps every other service if you are just looking to dig through the collection for rare gems.

That said, eMusic is incompetent, also they likely cheat at cards. The loss of the the Indie vanguard represents unmitigated incompetence and the ripples of their departure will probably make their way through to the labels I most frequent.

Sheer, unmitigated, "I have a mother fucking MBA from Wharton", jackassery.
  • Yes, I shall be a pariah. Sad truth is I've been winnowing down the various SFL's but there are still close to a 1,000 entries - blues, jazz, rockabilly, folk, cajun, world - all the hottest most current genres. Not that I want all of all of these but there are many things I'm just not ready to leave behind yet. If it's cheaper, I may buy - bottom line.
  • edited November 2010
    So...who here is still going to be an eMu member? Anyone?
    I'm still not sure how to get out of my annual and what I'll get back. The loss of the Indies doesn't effect me much. I never downloaded them at eMu (thanks, Amie).

I fear that the whole place is going to stink. The "eMu sucks! no [fill in the name of a popular band]" comments will increase, except they'll come from rabid Indie fans who know a thing or two about music. Moreover, the only content that will remain affordable will be at the accured lower bit rates. I think I would like out after my next refresh.

Me, because of the aforementioned lack of other options outside the US and like elwoodicious it's still the only one you can rummage through and find the treasures. The leaving of these labels doesn't affect me personally in that I downloaded very little of their product but what it represents is the death knell for emu IMHO, I'm pretty much gonna stick around to the bitter end. I don't hate iTunes like many, I'd buy a lot more there except for the prices (on current exchange rates $17 US dollars an album. On Twitter ppl were saying the Beatles box set is something like $250 here versus $150 on the US store). I have 800 albums SFL so as long as they let me download dusty old country, blues and soul I'm there.

My sister got the email yesterday and fwd it to me saying "No The National???? Noooooooooooooooooooo" She discovered them on eMu and fell in love hard, and she's raising kids out in the sticks unlike me footloose and fancy free in the city who can devote days and nights to music searching so eMusic is a real music lifeline in that situation. Sad it's ending.
  • She's raising kids out in the sticks unlike me
    footloose and fancy free
    in the city
    in the city
    in the city
    footloose and fancy free
    in the city.

Hey, Nanker, you got yourself a pretty good foundation for a song there.
  • I actually saw that movie recently. Katie and I were in Cincy in August to catch a Cubs game and just hang out for a night. They hold a Saturday night movie night in this fountain square park just down from our hotel. They project the movie up on a huge screen on the side of a building, chairs everywhere in the square, fountains and statues, beer tent and food. We walked down there as part of our hotel-neighborhood crawl, had a few beers, and watched Footloose. Still an awful movie, but not in a cloying way. Katie still loves it. All the girls, and I mean practically every single one of them, sang along to the movie. It was something to witness. It had a Reaganesque Rocky Horror Picture show vibe.
  • It had a Reaganesque Rocky Horror Picture show vibe.
    If only it were a double feature with Red Dawn...
  • Red Dawn...

Wolverines! Wolverines!

The only reason this is in my mind is that the wife and I watched Nature the other night featuring...wolverines. Quite amazing creatures in their unique way.