Dear Mr. Wanderer

edited December 2010 in General
Always willing to correspond with you via email. You can reach me at myriadnotes at gmail. I have no problem engaging in communication with you.

Posting here since you seem to read these posts here. Can't post at eMusic since I no longer subscribe to eMusic.

Hopefully you don't require an audience and are open to email exchange.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    How's about a song .......

He's a real Wanderer
    He's no hipster ponderer
    Of eMu there's no one fonderer than he.

Contributions?........what would rhyme with squanderer?
  • I wa-wa-wa-wa-wander....
    Why?
  • For me, this recent post by Wanderer http://www.emusic.com/messageboard/viewTopic.html?topicId=265730#1513898# was thoughtful and actually expressed his feelings rather than focusing on disagreeing. Its good to see posts like this.

By the way, thanks much to Nereffid and amclark2 (and anyone else) for properly understanding my post. I was simply an expression of how I felt, and it is nice that some people understood not only its context but is contents.

As far as musical diversity, that is something I always encourage and personally think is necessary. I think people are best served by pushing their listening boundaries to include all styles.

My objections are not specific to any artists or their recordings --- I'm just not particularly happy when organizations try to make artists conform to a certain sound or encourage them to sound like another artist simply for the sake of sounding like other artists or making it easier to market or sell their recordings. Artists should try to find their own voices, and all involved should support (and encourage) them to do so. What a shame if all the early Romantic era composers had just been satifisied with imitating Beethoven.

The danger to a culture isn't the new voices, its when there is a scarcity of distinct voices.
  • Well said Music Lover. I've been treying to keep amclark2's reboot towards the top of the 'leader board' during the European daytime. It is amazing what adding or subtracting a comma can achieve! Hopefully others will begin to take notice, if they havn't already...
  • Takes me back to the good ol' days when Wanderer was regularly complaining about all of the labels that kept leaving (that post is the first time he ever named a single one) and indicated that all of the new labels that had come in didn't count because they were not the kind of music that interested him (this included indie, electronic, and jazz labels).
  • Interesting.

Remember (for those that go back to, what was it, 2002?) when some UMG was added and then pulled a couple of months later. It was all 128 and had some Verve, etc. At that time I only downloaded an album or two at a time, and only what I was planning on immediately listening to. The removal of UMG, forever changed my downloading habits and then I always fit I better get what I could before it disappeared. That worked out well for the remainder of the unlimited period. Now, like many subscribers I have thousands of albums that I must get through before then hourglass runs out....
  • edited December 2010
    I remember those days well, ML. I was always of the opinion that labels would come and go (if they were only making a few cents an album, how long would they stay?). In the case of the Universal stuff, I think I donwloaded the whole catalog, including all the Chess and MCA stuff.

(I still can't believe they had several of the Chess box set for the picking and were only charging $10 a month).

It seemed like Classical was somewhat slim pickings back then, though.....
  • yes, frogk, not much classical there at that time. But for me the 128 kbps is only listenable in short bursts -- it tends to grit on the ears after 15-30 minutes. I have tended to be more challenged then most with digital and I remember when I got a CD player, the audio store had to find a good matched cable to cut down on the shrillness -- until just this year, I have been still favoring LPs over CDs but finally got a good DAC. I tried the Benchmark but it was still too grating sounding. My wife seems to have the same type of sensitivity so she practically celebrated when we got rid of the Benchmark DAC and went with a tube DAC (Havana) which was very smooth and LP like.

So I tried a couple of 128 mp3s and still a little gritty sounding and causing listener fatigue. The Amie Street 320 mp3s sound great and in general the eMusic mp3s are pretty good. Of course, the loseless files ripped from CDs (I gave up using a CD transport and use a Western DIgital Media player -- the CD transport I owned had its own coloration, but the Western Digital Media Player at $99 is as good as it gets when fed to a top notch DAC like the Havana) are amazing. But I am suprised at how good the 320 mps can sound.

Anyway, I am just amazed at how much great stuff I got from Amie Street, and honestly even the weaker albums sound really engaging on this Havana DAC. It just drives home how many talented musicians and composers are out there.

I don't like to play music as background, so generally have to give it full devotion, so that limits one's listening time, but eventually plan to get through all those Amie Street and eMusic albums.
  • edited December 2010
    I object to the 'Mister' honorific alongside the Wanderer moniker, Music Lover.
    Not worth your time, if you think about it.
    I wouldn't be sorry if you edited that, nor the 'dear' since it's insincere.
  • ugh. ml. if i can - by way of comparison - perhaps pull the reigns back on the open invite...the person central to this discussion is more self-parody than dick vitale.

some stains just don't wash out.
    my apologies to those who, prior to my link, had no exposure to dick vitale.
  • Is that the same thing a vital dick?
  • absolutely and only in the mind of the most vital dick
  • Hey, it's your thread and all, but I'd hate to see Wanderer-type conversations pollute the musers board. I can certainly understand the irritation and disdain that many of you feel for the guy, but he's one of the reason's why I no longer visit the emu forums, and to have these Waderer-centric discussions whereby people are battling it out with him in abstentia seems counter to the reason the emusers forum was created to begin with... an escape hatch from all that contentious crap and a place to talk about the music.
    I guess I'd just hate to see a second forum ruined from all that. But I could be a minority opinion on this.
  • Agree totally with the above post, and would just like to add that we have several threads ongoing which demand & deserve serious intellectual consideration (and which make me feel a bit embarrassed at my lack of education), and several others which add to the sense of community among us. While I admire Music Lover for his willingness to reach out to Wanderer, I fear this thread will do neither. I also hope that I am proven wrong.
  • edited December 2010
    I do believe if any of us got too contentious, xtrev would push the magic button, sending us into outer space.

I love the music conversations. I rarely contribute because I am ignorant when it comes to the buzz words, the correct genre, etc.
  • I rarely contribute because I am ignorant when it comes to the buzz words, the correct genre, etc.
    The key is confidence, if you speak passionately and articulately about Eritrean Gypsy Funk people will nod knowingly.
  • I second Elwood's comment. At least for jazz, you can use a lot of the same terminology as for wine: Eg, "They are an aggressively smoky quartet with an earthy, exuberant sound and a supple finish."
  • You guys are too funny. Both of you know that I have no idea what you're talking about.

Elwoodicious, your comment reminds me of a pastor I knew years ago. He used these big $50 words in his Sunday sermons, making his sermon pretty useless, even if you knew the words. I was astonished at how many people thought he was soooo intelligent. When asked why they thought so, the usual response was, "He uses all those big words." I would ask what those words meant, and they had no idea. I would remind them that a truly intelligent pastor would speak a language his congregation understood.

Doofy, I never got all that wine talk, either. It either tastes good to me, or it doesn't. A bright citrus flavor. What the heck does that mean? My taste buds must not be up to par.
  • No... the classic pairing is Chocodiles and Night Train.

MKR
  • MKRMKR
    edited December 2010
    If I ever see something like that in a restaurant I'm getting one. I don't care how much it costs!

MKR

Edit: and seeing how this is a music form I picked up a box of Mozartkugeln the other day. My family used to buy these things in big bags whever we passed through Salzburg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozartkugel
  • Original Salzburg Mozartkugeln -- I love that some of the imitators chose to incorporate Real in the name of their own bonbons. Big bags, huh? Are they that good?
  • Are they that good?

Yes, I'd say. Only candies I've had that were even yummier was this box of truffles my wife found at Marshall's some years ago, from Germany, no name we'd ever heard of, can't remember,never able to find more, they were all laced with copious amounts of actual liquor and the best thing I've ever had was the one loaded with Calvados. Norman apple brandy and chocolate - priceless.
  • They are that good. But after reading the article I want to try and find the "original" ones.

MKR
  • Does this Wanderer guy (it has to be a guy) have a job or anything? Does anyone know? He's posted 10 times on the "It was nice while it lasted..." thread alone.
  • Does this Wanderer guy (it has to be a guy) have a job or anything?

Did you mean "job", or "life"?

Ooo, cheap shot, couldn't help myself. He probably just has too much free time on his hands, and don't we all occasionally. In answer to your query, as I recall someone on these boards is actually acquainted with him, and vouched he had redeeming human qualities. After having actually paid attention on a couple of occasions lately to some of the vicious drivel that truly anonymous posters produce in response to real stories over at Yahoo, I'm inclined to view the eMu MB as relatively civilized, and a fairly innocuous pastime.
  • @BigD-Bluez, it's been said before but if the eMusic boards manage to get someone hurt/upset/bent then that someone really should make it a point not to visit any other parts of the Internet as they'll get eaten alive. You are right on the money, next to this place, it is one of the most civilized communities I've been involved with online and off.