What are you listening to right now? (Number 9, number 9...)

Comments

• 41UG%2B%2BjNcAL.jpg
    (url=>amz)
  • lumineers+%25281%2529.jpg

The Lumineers - the Lumineers.
  • 3525619421-1.jpg

Cocoon by Meg and Dia (that is, Dia Frampton). NYOP
  • currently listening to the only pop song ever worth listening to.

110521_1_f.jpg

original gangsters.
  • edited July 2012
    300x300.jpg
    Autistici - Amplified Presence

"Subtle soundscapes and minimal meanderings (that’s adequate alliteration) from UK-based artist Autistici. Autistici creates audio narratives aimed at exploring the interchange between sound and space. Space in this context also includes the subjective space held within the listener. In this realm reflection and fantasy recontextualise the sound according to the listener’s inner psyche…which sounds very highbrow. Autistici’s latest work incorporates a wide range of sources, including textural sound design, orchestration, silence and fragments of found sound or field recordings. The tracks on this album seem to focus on representing details from both the natural and man made world. On this LP it seems like any sonic detail has the potential to become incorporated into the compositions. I guess this fascination with the interplay between the inner and outer world embodies Autistici’s sound, which is by all accounts a varied, sometimes frosty sounding collection of sonic compositions…top stuff."
    - Norman Records.
  • 300x300.jpg
    Two Lenses by Bryter Layter

Just arrived in Perth. Beautiful day here.
  • edited July 2012
    Hey, BT, I didn't know about Frank'n'Dawg - I'll have to check that one out. I like Vignola a lot, both in his more straight up jazz groove and his gypsy jazz stuff as well.

La Boheme from this Pavarotti box at 7digital (Disc 1 needed to be retagged as Boheme)
    0000703113_350.jpg
  • edited July 2012
    61mX5nM3-eL._SS500_.jpg

This morning's run was made possible by the trance inducing delight of this album.
  • @BigD: Gris and Vignola play it straight on this album. Very straight, as in there is little improvisation, but lots of expressive playing of the melody. I like it, but it might appear to be too conservative. It was also an easy purchase: I already had half the tracks.
  • tumblr_m7gc81n82r1qkyxbh_1342775522_cover.jpg

Fantastic new mixtape.

Craig
  • never been a fan of this band before, and i'm pretty sure there's a number of other bands doing the same thing without fanfare, but this new baroness album is really hitting the spot for me at the moment.

baroness-art-2-626x626.jpg

i keep reading that it's their "90s grunge"-y album, but it doesn't scan that way to me. i want more metal bands to go in this direction, e.g., (a) away from cookie-monster vocals; (b) toward more melody, albeit crunching, riff-heavy melody.

btw, "other bands doing the same or similar thing" may include that band ghost, a death-metal act with vocal harmonies and hook-y melodies that make them sound like an updated version of blue oyster cult.
  • 300x300.jpg
    Maggi Payne - Ahh-Ahh - Music for Ed Tannenbaum's Technological Feets, 1984-1987

- "The music on this LP was originally composed by Maggi Payne from 1984 - 1987 for the performance group Technological Feets. Formed by video artist Ed Tennenbaum in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1981, the group combines dance, live video processing & music. This is the first time these recordings have ever been released on vinyl, and aside from the track Ahh-Ahh (Ver 2.1), the first time any of it has ever been officially released. Composed on an Apple II computer & various early sampling devices, Payne’s compositions are a vibrant response to the call from the moving body. Populated with buoyant pulses, graceful analogue swells, dense fog-like drones and cascading rhythms that shift in space, AHH-AHH is a vital document of not only these early collaborations, but of computer based music as well.
    Originally trained as a flutist, Payne was exposed to electronic music while studying at the University of Illinois at Urbana and later at the then newly established MFA in electronic music and recording media program at Mills where she is now co-director of the Center for Contemporary Music. She studied with many greats in the field, including Gordon Mumma, Robert Ashley & David Berhman (who’s composition ‘On The Other Ocean’ features her on flute). Her musical career is extensive, stretching back over 30 years in both solo works & various collaborations."

- Thrill Jockey.
  • 880021673-1.jpg
    Ensemble, et al - Sounds of Others

Sounds of Others is a collection of compositions written by Arvo Part and Goldmund (aka Keith Kenniff) and arranged/adapted by Ron Tucker for Ensemble, et al.

Ensemble, et al. is a Brooklyn-based pseudo-classical percussion ensemble that combines elements of classicism and modernism employing a simple, intimate, dynamic and delicately beautiful aesthetic.
  • i'm digging that chris watson disc (el tren fantasma) from an early post in the rolling "new electronic & ambient" thread. veers somewhat into noise territory, which is cool with me. coincidentally, there's another disc, released in 2011, that uses samples from a train station's waiting platform as a theme for a noise-disc. the artist blurs and distorts the sounds of people waiting, talking and mulling around, and the sound of the trains. gotta do some digging for the title.
  • edited July 2012
    61MsG4IP2bL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In a few days time, London becomes the centre of the World for a couple of weeks. I saw a review of this (below) and was intrigued enough to download from emusic.
    It's certainly an intriguing idea: take a well-known batch of songs about London and ask London-based musicians from different communities to provide a re-interpretation. And it works, at least in part. The songs are suitably varied, ranging from pop and folk to music-hall, and the artists involved remind us that much of the best music in the capital results from its cultural mix. The best tracks are the bravest and least expected, with Soothsayers providing a languid and thoughtful reggae treatment of Ralph McTell's Streets of London, while rumba-flamenco exponents Jardares Por Fuera offer an unlikely, upbeat version of I Live in Trafalgar Square, Colombian folk band Cumbe re-work Eddy Grant's Electric Avenue, and Krar Collective take a cool, Ethiopian stab at Lily Allen's LDN. London Calling appears twice: Transglobal Underground invite Afrikan Boy to add hip-hop to the Clash classic, and Arun Ghosh treats it as a mellow instrumental. A patchy set, but worth investigating.
    Source Guardian 20th July 2012
  • edited July 2012
    300x300.jpg

Gave four and a half hours of presentations today. This is perfect for winding down.
  • GP - I was looking in the bookshop at the Institute of Education in London last week (I'm an external examiner for their Primary PGCE course) I saw a book that I am fairly sure you were one of the authors - small world, indeed!
  • I did my PhD at IoE, nice to think they might be selling one of mine :-).
  • An even smaller world GP. I did my masters there in the mid 80s then I started my PhD there 7 or 8 years ago. I eventually suspended studies through increased pressure of work after a promotion, but I'm thinking that it is really time that I restarted if I am ever going to do it.

61FwSK7ILYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • 51%2BHrUegb-L._SS500_.jpg
    (url=>amz)
This discussion has been closed.