Video Streaming Recommendations (formerly known as recoomendations)

I recently signed up, and am enjoying the smorgasbord that is Netflix streaming.

I thought it might be good to have a thread where people can throw out recommendations (music or otherwise).

Here's my first two:

A Great Day in harlem - in interesting Jazz Documentary centered around a photo session of many of the Jazz greats which took place on a Harlem street in 1958.

Spectacle Elvis Costello With.... - interesting music/interview program hosted by music's most obsessive music geek.

Comments

• Great thread idea!

two music related ones I've loved recently are We Jam Econo (Minutemen) and 30 Century Man (Scott Walker).
  • Pushing Daisies, Pushing Daisies, Pushing Daisies

Pushing Daisies.
  • Harlan County, USA -- doco about Kentucky coal miners strike in early 70s. Amazing footage and topic (won the Doco Oscar for that year), and also has a lot of great, raw Appalachian music from locals and Hazel Dickens. The soundtrack is on eMusic.

Grey Gardens - doco about eccentric couple of Jackie kennedy relatives on the Bouvier side living in a dilapadated mansion somewhere in New England.

There is a Fela Kuti doco called Music is the Weapon, I have it in my queue but haven't watched.

Cocaine Cowboys is another good doco, highly dramatic story of the coke trade in and through Miami in the 80s.

If you like docos, I could go they’re mostly watch I’ve watched on instant streaming.
  • edited January 2011
    Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?

Watched this last night. I liked it very much.

The Flaming Lips - The Fearless Freaks

Watched this a couple weeks ago. If you're interested in the Flaming Lips you should find it interesting.

Edit: Changed links to point to instantwatcher.com pages for specified movies. www.instantwatcher.com is a much better way to browse whats available to stream from Netflix and add stuff to your instant streaming queue to boot.
  • edited January 2011
    Rivers and Tides
    This astonishing documentary from Thomas Riedelsheimer shadows renowned sculptor Andy Goldsworthy as he creates works of art with ice, driftwood, leaves, stone, dirt and snow in open fields, beaches, rivers, creeks and forests. With each new creation, he carefully studies the energetic flow and transitory nature of his work. The film won the Golden Gate Award Grand Prize for Best Documentary at the 2003 San Francisco International Film Festival.
    I spent the first 30 minutes of this asking myself the point of it all (the art and the film), then the beauty of it all dawned on me and I was enraptured. Give it a chance, it unfolds slowly but is beautiful and though provoking.
  • edited January 2011
    70101468.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    This is actually seconding amclark's earlier recommendation, and also it's a handy link.

70070510.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    A trilogy, in Korean with English subtitles:

70038783.jpg70024111.jpg70042670.jpg

This is the order in which they were made, but for some reason "Oldboy" seems to have been the first to be released on DVD in the United States (and presumably Europe).
  • @ScissorMan +++ Love that trilogy. Love. It.
  • edited January 2011
    70114016.jpg

I recently watched Thirst - also directed by Park Chan-wook - TMT review.

Also really enjoyed Mother:

70118372.jpg

by Korean director Bong Joon-ho - TMT review.

I will have to check out the trilogy soon.
  • I loved Oldboy (disturbing and brilliant) and have the other 2 in my queue. I've got to start exploring my queue some more since all I can recommend right now are certain episodes of the Wonder Pets and Kipper's Puppy Love.
  • The dog with the slipper?! This is sewwious! Save the Netflix Queue!
  • Sometimes I just want to punch Ming Ming in the face...
  • edited January 2011
    In roughly the same vein as "Thirst" (pun intended), most people have probably seen this one, but in case you haven't:

70099621.jpg
  • I just joined netflix and I am loving it. Many things I want are still DVD only (the Felo Doc), but I have way too much in the streaming queue for now anyway.

netflix.jpg
  • 8186676.jpg

Please note that Hitchcock fans should stay far, far away from the terrible My Wife and My Dead Wife. which cynically steals the title of one of his best-known songs in the hopes of attempting to lure people into watching one of the most boring and insipid movies ever made.

But don't forget to check out Sex, Food, Death, and Insects, just in case you missed it on the Sundance Channel.
  • edited January 2011
    Storefront Hitchcock is what turned me into a fan. I was so mesmerized by his performance and the way he speaks to the audience. Demme does an excellent job capturing that one.

I can't remember if I mentioned Let the Right One In, but it'll make you forget about all of the crap vampire flicks that keep getting pumped out.

70129611.jpg
    I'll toss this one out there. Low-budget, dark rom/com. Not horror at all. I imagine it was done by a group more used to stage productions, as it comes off as a filmed play. I'd be curious to hear what others think.
  • This is one of the best music documentaries I've ever seen...

514oV1kx9QL._SX200_.jpg

A Band Called Death
    Blending a larger-than-life family story and a rock documentary, this film follows David, Bobby and Dannis Hackney, three teenage brothers from Detroit who founded the band Death, commonly regarded as the first black punk group, in the early 1970s.
  • How did I miss this thread?

My Netflix rec is for "Still Bill" a documentary about the life and times of Bill Withers. Very powerful and interesting.

Man this thing had me crying when they showed Bill speaking to a group of kids who stutter (Bill Withers stuttered as a kid).

Anywhoo, I was looking for a link to the Netflix splash page and found a free Hulu Link to the full movie here enjoy.
  • this is a great thread. I know many people complain Netflix streaming has nothing to watch and while some studios, films, and tv shows are conspicuously absent, there is a lot of worthwhile stuff. We have though noticed on Sunday nights that stream is very fussy on our Apple TV. I changed a few settings which helped, but even so it can take some time to start a new movie or show.
  • edited February 2014
    @choiceweb

Sunday night is "House of Cards" night in my house

Very recommended

Sorry about soaking up all the bandwidth
  • Sorry about soaking up all the bandwidth/

You paid for it. It's yours.

The Criterion Collection, which is at Hulu, as numerous documentaries about music, particularly Blues musicians. I'd also recommend one called Trances, concerning a group from Morocco.
  • I blame ATT DSL. Our apartment has a sketchy deal with the only cable company we're allowed to use. We have to have cable tv if we want cable internet.

Anyway, anyone seen Derek? Despite starring Ricky Gervais, it isn't quite a comedy or a drama. Somewhere in the middle. It's only seven episodes, but a season 2 is enroute.
  • ATT DSL is far from wonderful.
  • edited March 2014
    Watched this last night. We enjoyed it.

CRM017_97.227x227-75.jpg

"Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony"

It's a charming documentary. Not snarky, also not all fanboy either. Well, maybe kind of fanboy. I wasn't aware of this subculture at all. My wife had some of the ponies as a kid, and still loves anything that combines ponies and rainbows. Her mind was blown when she walked into the room and saw it on. She had just left the room previously because I was watching the series finale of Breaking Bad, and, well, there was plenty of violence. Fifteen minutes later, she re-entered the room, and there were two animated ponies on the screen saying something about cupcakes and 20% cooler.

In any event, aside from being introduced to another social group I'd been previously unaware of, I appreciated the challenges to what defines masculinity and the typically immediate ostracization of men who reveal any qualities that don't involve things like, well, the kinds of characteristics the dudes on Breaking Bad display.

For Star Trek TNG fans, the voice of the dragon Dischord is performed by the same dude that played Q on TNG... and, apparently, when the show's creators brought him in, they basically wanted him to be Q... just as a dragon is all.
  • edited March 2014
    typically immediate ostracization of men who reveal any qualities that don't involve things like, well, the kinds of characteristics the dudes on Breaking Bad display.

This made me think about it and Breaking Bad is really pretty misogynistic; bad things happen to a lot of guys but most of them deserved it, or at least chose jobs where it was not unlikely. A lot of bad things happened to women who didn't do anything wrong.

The Star Wars Clone Wars series just showed up and I'm really enjoying them. Probably more than I "should" but whatever. I'm a sucker for Star Wars.
  • The Star Wars Clone Wars series just showed up and I'm really enjoying them. Probably more than I "should" but whatever. I'm a sucker for Star Wars.
    We noticed. The 7-year old has gotten to season 3.
  • My 7 year old's watched couple, but overall he's way less into it than I am.
  • Mine is big into space opera, liking both Star Wars and Star Trek (though more of the former). I am subjected to endless debates about which is better.