iTunes hates me. I think the feeling is mutual.

Comments

• Back in business with library intact. But, yes, iTunes is sent to try us.
  • edited November 2016
    Windows 12.2 was broken; crashed when accessing iCloud. I managed to sign out of my account before it crashed. The updater in iTunes was not working yet, so I googled  iTunes 12.3, installed it and solved the problem.

Now Last.FM is not scrobbling, but that will probably get fixed soon enough. [Updated: something happened and a whole morning's worth of scrobbles just posted. I think it was Last.fm's problem]
  • Well, well, I think it must have been a Windows update thing because the Groove music player is gone too.
  • edited November 2016
    Haha, nice. I actually think the Groove player disappearing is good riddance. I only noticed because it was still set as the default player for those rare occasions when I opened a music file by actually clicking on the file, leading to the initially rather alarming situation that every single music file I tried showed a path error when I tried to open it...it was a relief to realize it was a missing player, not corrupted files. I have the default pointing to VLC now. (iTunes lumbers too badly for use as the default player for quickly dipping into a file on the fly. It loads like a giraffe getting up with a hangover).

Sadly, I think I am going to have to find time for a wipe and refresh in my PC soon. The last couple of Windows updates have taken several hours to chug through, and this latest deleted Groove and iTunes (that I have discovered so far).
  • I didn't pay much attention at first to the latest version of iTunes deciding to increase the size of all the cover art, except to think "huh, pretty, I guess." Now I am finding I have quite a few albums with cover art in resolutions that show up all fuzzy and pixelated in the new views. Annoying.
    I just replaced some cover art outside iTunes using Mp3tag. Back in iTunes, if I go to get info and select cover art, the new art shows up nice and clear. But in the actual browsing views the old fuzzy art still shows, even though I removed it (and in one case even though it was a different picture altogether). Anyone know a way of persuading iTunes to refresh its artwork display?

Not sure if they've changed it since v10, but itunes keeps its iTunes store artwork in a folder called "Album Artwork" on whatever folder your ituneslibrary.itl file resides.
    It has 2 subfolders named Cache & Download.
    Those will have each have subfolders with some long random-ass folder names like "642DC00FB08C916C".
    And thooose will have even more nested subfolders with 2-digit names like "00"  or "04"  or "11"
    Where you'll eventually end up with an IT2C file.

iTunes attaches that IT2C file to the lowest-numbered track of an album.

OK long story short, you're probably safe with deleting the Cache folder. iTunes will rebuild it if it needs to.
    That might fix the artwork issues, if you don't embed the art into the music file.

Other fixes have been doing a "Get Info" on the lowest-numbered track of an album.
    Go to the artwork tab and make sure you don't have multiple embedded images.

• Thanks, Katrina!
  • I'm having problems with iTunes on my computer connecting to the internet. No problems at all from my iPad and the internet connection is fine for other applications. Not a major problem until I uploaded a CD and could not get track names. Anyone else come across this problem?
  • Windows or Mac computer?
    Did you just take an iTunes update? Or a security software update?
    What version iTunes?

Preferences - General  - Automatically retrieve CD track names from the internet

iTunes has to connect to the gracenote database to get CD info. There's a file  you can try deleting while iTunes is closed.

windows - CD Info.cidb

mac - CDDB Preferences

iTunes should auto-build it when it restarts.

• Many thanks Katrina. I realised that around the same time as I started having problems that a 7 digital download screen came on the screen at start up. Why I don't know because I haven't downloaded from there for several months. Removing that stopped the iTunes issue.
  • I have a question for you iTunes experts -- is it possible to have two different iTunes libraries and two different iPods, with each iPod synced to a different iPod?  Say, one library and iPod for classical, and one library and iPod for rock?

If so, how would I do that?  Thanks in advance for any help ---
  • I have not tried to do this myself except by having separate user profiles (on a PC), but this article seems to think it's doable.
  • Thanks Germanprof.  I will try it out once my second iPod arrives (bought a refurbished one on eBay).  
  • You can definitely have two (or more) libraries for one computer/user. You have to hold down shift (or something) to choose which library to load. Could be wrong, but I don't think it will automatically load the correct library to different iPods
  • I run two iPods off one iTunes library with no difficulty. It really is no different from attaching an iPod, iPad and iPhone. 
  • yes you can have as many iTunes libraries as you want. I did this years ago when my then-husband was listening to stuff I didn't want scrobbled/playcounted for my smart playlists, and my son who listened to Crazy Frog kid music.

There are several ways to do it, what OS?

On Windows everyone using the same account, you hold down the shift key then Start>iTunes.   It will popup asking you to choose a library. File extension is .itl for iTunesLibrary.   You can change the .itl default to something like classical.itl, rock.itl

If everyone on that same Windows account is disciplined enough to start iTunes this way, go for it. 

My family was not. I chose them to have separate windows logins and the .itl file be under their user profile. I had to set up their preferences to point to a shared folder so I there wasn't a bazillion copies of the same songs under each profile.

Ex kept the Mac, it's not shift-start, perhaps option-start.

• edited January 2017

SecretDrummer, if it's just for you and multiple iPods, use one library and read up on smart playlists. If your tags are good, iTunes is lovely for this sort of thing.

• Sorry, I'm still on iTunes Windows 10 something, the current version is 12, I think. It might look different for you.

• edited January 2017

I have 4 ipods in rotation. Different checkmarks for each ipod.

• edited January 2017

Play with the "selected by" option, most definitely.

It opens up iTunes smart playlists to wonderful levels.

• edited January 2017

Nested smart playlists rock my world!

• Yes, holding down the "option" key when opening iTunes does the trick.
    Katrina points out the wonderful options available that I love about this.
    ... and, yes, I'm running a very old version that's 6 and a half years old,
    but that and my OS will be updating very soon - hopefully not to my chagrin.
    Only a single iPod here, but I've read for years exactly what the above folks are saying.

OS 10.6.8 and iTunes 9.2.1
  • Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions, I appreciate it very much.  I am STILL waiting for my refurbished iPod to arrive from the UK, but as soon as it does I will put all this information to good use.  

I think someone asked about operating system, I am running Windows 10.

Thanks again for all the help.
  • edited January 2017

So iTunes related issues, but more a Mac-OS-El-Capitan and Time-Machine-create backups-that-you-can't-quite-use problem. So I have a 2007 iMac. I just replaced the internal hard drive with a SSD to speed things up. I have everything backed up through Time Machine. It should just transfer back but Migration assistant fails every time I've tried and when I did a clean install, it wouldn't recognize the time machine backups on my external hard drive. I can manually move everything back, but the sticking point is most of the folder in my user folder have a red circle icon on them including my music folder. I get a you don't have permission to open these message. I even manually corrected this error with each folder, but iTunes won't rebuild my music library because right away it says I don't have permission to open my music folder. 

I've found lots of people complaining about El Capitan and Time Machine creates permissions errors, but few solutions. Anyone run into this odd behavior? 

Edit: Since my old Hard Drive is still working, I am tempted to just place it in an external case and just copy it over to my new drive. That almost seems mindnumbingly easier than the Time Machine issues above. 
  • I haven't yet moved into El Capitan,
    but it's something I'm getting ready to do in the next few days,
    so it's a bit disconcerting to hear this.

Have you tried going into your Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities app
    and click on "Repair Disk Permissions" to see if this clears things up for you? 
  • rostasi said:
    I haven't yet moved into El Capitan,
    but it's something I'm getting ready to do in the next few days,
    so it's a bit disconcerting to hear this.

Have you tried going into your Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities app
    and click on "Repair Disk Permissions" to see if this clears things up for you? 

I did repair permissions and used First Aid, but still the same issue persists. I'm trying to figure out how to copy my old HD which is 1 TB, though more than half empty onto my SSD drive which is 480 GB. So far Apple's Disk Utility isn't doing this, though I thought as much. 
  • I'm getting ready to do all kinds of drag and drops from drive to drive.
    I have had two SSD drives - one with nothing on it and the other with
    Snow Leopard, so they will be on the light side, but, again, can you not
    just drag and drop from the 1TB to the SSD?

My great excursion will probably be happening tomorrow afternoon
    when I move from 10.6.8 to 10.11.6. It's frightening to me - especially
    realizing that I'll no longer have some things that I've relied on for nearly
    7 years. (No iPhoto? Really?) I have Time Machine at the ready - we'll see...
  • Good luck, guys.
  • Thanks Katrina! When I talk about drag and drop, I'm only talking about my tunes
    and not the OS itself. I'm gonna rely on my extremely current Time Machine to help
    with that part.