New & Notable releases

Comments

• edited August 2017
    djh said:
    Hey BN do you know this one? Works very well with just two instruments so there's space (but it is a bit busy) 

https://www.emusic.com/album/61625946/Craig-Taborn-and-Ikue-Mori/Highsmith

I've also just picked up the two Maryanne Amacher releases on Tzadik. Still recall the sensory overload of her performance at The Arches in Glasgow (Install Festival) walking around with sound bouncing off underground railway tunnels at frighteningly loud volume that made the air feel like soup!
    - No, I'd have to check it out  . . . There's really a lot of intriguing stuff on Tzadik. :)

httpsf4bcbitscomimga0137568350_14jpg
    Andrea Belfi - Ore
    released May 26, 2017

FLOAT launches their new label with first signing Berlin-based drummer and percussionist Andrea Belfi.
    Titled Ore, the album places the drums as its centrepiece, while textures are embellished and mutated through electronic manipulations and dark, eerie sonic details. . .

Andrea Belfi is also a member of B/B/S (Belfi, Aidan Baker & Erik Skodvin)
    - More Belfi at Emusers

• edited August 2017
     httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-000216151198-96t002-t500x500jpg  
    - "Introduced to each other by the label, the two artists found common ground with thousands of miles between them, in more ways than one. A desire for each other's work sparked a productive partnership that quickly found Leandro creating specific sounds based on concrete directives from Rafael.

Leandro Fresco’s signature melodies and warm, colorful textures have adorned the Argentinian’s work ever since his first appearance on Kompakt’s Pop Ambient Series in 2003, right up to his latest artist album El Reino Invisible (2015). This “melodic sensibility” as Rafael likes to say, proved to be the defining undercurrent to Rafael’s signature sound design, a combination that takes each of their distinct sounds into new heartbreaking territory. The emotions heard on Rafael’s previous album, A Fragile Geography (2015), are a welcome prequel to the crushing depths found amongst La Equidistancia - proven by Rafael at some of his recent shows:

“I played a few songs from this collaboration on my last tour and I got some incredible feedback. Some people felt it was emotionally cleansing, some had tears in their eyes, it was definitely moving”. . . .
    - http://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/

•   
    “It all began in the dark winter of 2012. Life faded away. Death was waiting at the doorstep of the temple. Something inside the poet died. The moon gave birth to something new: Lulu. A wanderer between the worlds, carried by winds of summer. Opening a gate for love, death and life. Songs of passion, desire and yearning were breaking through. A gateway to this mortal world. His chants accompanied by the voices of the living and the dead. Mystic spells, wise old words and almost forgotten tales marked his path. Summonings, lamentations and passion play. Unifying what belongs together: What once was, is and will be.”
    In 2017, The Sublunar Society and Lulu Rosenkrantz signed a deal and the album Durch einen Spiegel in einem dunklen Wort was released.

• edited August 2017

Ten Years Alive On The Infinite Plain is the quintessential work of artist/filmmaker/composer Tony Conrad. Comprised of both film installation and minimalist score for amplified strings, Ten Years leaps across genre and medium to connect his revolutionary structural filmmaking with the experiments in long-duration sound that Conrad had begun in the 1960s as part of the Theatre of Eternal Music.

"Ten Years began with image before sound," writes Andrew Lampert, "a row of quadruple projections arranged side-by-side, all the shuffling stripes cascading into each other. Over the next two hours the music throbbed and the projectors incrementally shifted inwards, their beams gradually uniting to form one pulsating, overlapping picture."

For its 1972 premiere at New York's The Kitchen, Ten Years included Conrad on violin as well as Rhys Chatham and Laurie Spiegel performing on instruments of the composer's own making. Chatham played the Long String Drone – a 6-foot long strip of wood with bass strings, electric pickup, tuning keys, tape, rubber band and metal hardware – while Spiegel carried out an arrhythmic bass pulse throughout.

Superior Viaduct is honored to present this previously unreleased recording of Ten Years Alive On The Infinite Plain's breathtaking premier performance. As Chatham recounts in the liner notes, "When I first listened to this recording after not hearing it for over 40 years, it transported me back to the early Kitchen and the heyday of early minimalism, played outside the Dream Syndicate."

- Superior Viaduct

Rhys Chatham On Tony Conrad at The Quietus
  • Keith Fullerton Whitman ‎– Late Monoliths, 2011-2013

• I thought I had posted this but search says no:

Jakob - Sines (Bandcamp)

A New Zealand post-rock outfit that went on a long hiatus for health reasons (their last album Solace, was 2006). Soalce was excellent; the new one picks up the sound right where Solace left off and is very enjoyable.
    Emusic.

• Wil Bolton - Night Paths

'Night Paths' is an album of dreamy ambience inspired by reveries of moonlit summer nights, walking aimlessly through forest paths. Made with a refined instrumental palette of electric guitar, analogue synthesizers and looper pedals, asynchronous loops and layers merge and collide in hypnotic lulling repetitions. An array of stomp box effects and crackling amp noise blur and disrupt these tones. Swathes of gauzy reverb and woozy delays and chorusing effects evoke daydreams and soft-focus memories.

• edited September 2017
    Loss
    Marcus Fischer - Loss

Loss is the long-awaited and anticipated follow-up to Marcus Fischer’s acclaimed Monocoastal (12k1063, 2010). Fischer created Loss over several years, finding inspiration to complete it during his time at the Robert Rauschenberg Residency in Captiva, Florida, in early 2017. The album is a particularly emotional work as Fischer explored what loss means to him and how to cope with the permanence of absence. The result is decisively somber and perhaps one of the darkest, most emotional albums in the 12k catalog.
    Fischer manifested the concepts of loss in his compositions through the use of generation loss from reel-to-reel tape, re-recording sounds through various speakers in physical spaces, layering, and the use of sounds that have been physically displaced from their source. Conceptually, he listened inside the degradation of sound, pulling out chance moments of beauty and hope amid the rubble.
    While Loss has a bleak and lonely tone, the music is characteristic of Marcus Fischer with fragile tape loops on the edge of falling apart, distant haunting melodies and a physicality that grounds the album’s human spirit.

Bandcamp

•  httpsf4bcbitscomimga1693149167_14jpg
     ". . .Tricky take perhaps his most radical step yet – a journey into happiness and contentment. It’s a record that shows the legendary British producer confront his legacy, history, family – even death itself. And in all of this, he finds the strangest,
    least familiar thing – peace. . ."

Released September 22, 2017 on False Idols

• Malija, the sophisticated genre-bending all-star trio that received phenomenal acclaim for their debut album The Day I Had Everything [2015], returns in September 2017 with Instinct, an album that showcases the sheer brilliance, interplay and depth of musicianship of three of the most celebrated and adhered Jazz musicians in Europe - Mark Lockheart, Jasper Høiby and Liam Noble.

• edited September 2017

Leyland Kirby - We, so tired of all the darkness in our lives

"It's free because I mean it and you're worth it. Give it all or nothing."
    Sounds created by Leyland Kirby.
    Artwork by Ivan Seal.
    Audio mastered by Stephan Mathieu.

- "These days it feels like it's at an all time low for positive outcomes.

The music here is free for you to download or to pay for. It's your call. It's not free because I place no value on this work. It's free because I mean it.

It shows a slightly different side and production value to previously released works. These are the tracks I've personally revisited most in the past four or five years. They have all helped me out. I'd like to think you don't see this as throwaway work. It's been collated carefully.

Production wise I think it's more in focus and it gives some indications to early influences. It goes somewhere, it goes nowhere, there are drawn out synths, drums, piano and drift. It's about the fact that not everything need be angry, distorted or bombastic to show defiance. It's every bar stool I've sat on and am yet to sit on. It's me throwing myself down stairs again and again because I'm as sick of things as you are.

If it's not released now then this work just sits on a drive for even longer gathering digital dust which I feel is a shame. Maybe you will find some solace in the sounds if your mood is right or you need them. Maybe one track hits home, maybe more do. Hopefully it can help here and there.

I still greatly believe in the value of music and of true independent music. This is in spite of the constant devaluing of music by big business and streaming services. I'm not creating work to help push cans of energy drink or to look for cheap clicks on playlists or to get involved in scenes.

The bottom line here is if you have no coin right now then this one is on me with pleasure. If you can support the work then this is great too. It's always a lot of hard work and a dream.

I've been hard at it lately with The Caretaker work so now I afford myself a night out finally sinking the odd whisky or two down at my favourite Krakow bar, Propaganda. It's been a good while since the last time.

I'll raise the whisky glass in there for us all. You know the score."
    - JLK xx

•  httpsf4bcbitscomimga0214024322_14jpg  
    Released September 30, 2017

• edited October 2017
    Brand new from ex The Residents member, Charles Bobuck:

httpsf4bcbitscomimga0013242514_14jpg

Black Tar and the Cry Babies - Left with the Fires

Black Tar:
    Charles Bobuck
    Hardy Fox 

"This BLACK TAR project is free to download.
    If you wish to donate, I will personally match your donation dollar for dollar.
    The donation will benefit the SONOMA HUMANE SOCIETY as they care for pets during the current wildfire disaster."
    Released October 13, 2017
  • rostasi said:
    - With eMu link - Thanks @rostasi
  •    
    Pere Ubu is:
    David Thomas - vocals, Keith Moliné - guitar
    Gary Siperko - guitar, Kristof Hahn - steel guitar
    Darryl Boon - clarinet and more
    Robert Wheeler - analog synths, theremin
    Gagarin - digital synths
    Michele Temple - bass
    Steve Mehlman - drums, and more
    Fronted as ever by David Thomas, Pere Ubu unveil their new album, 20 YEARS IN A MONTANA MISSILE SILO, which opens the doors of the avant-garage to reveal the hardworking mechanics hammering away at the fundamentals of blue-collar rock.
    - Cherry Red Records - http://www.ubuprojex.com
  • rostasi said:
    I've been away for a while (the Doctors said it would do me good) did any one pick you up on this ;-)
  • djh said:
    rostasi said:
     did any one pick you up on this ;-)
    I don't know what "pick you up on this" means?

Holy Uganda, this is good!

•    
    Cabaret Contemporain
    - is a five french musicians band from Paris who are playing électro music with acoustic prepared instruments (piano, electric guitar, drums, 2 doublebasses). The band started to play in 2012 and used to play different sets crossing electro-music and classic-music (John Cage Project with Etienne Jaumet, Terry Riley revisited with Chateau flight, The Man Machine with Linda Olah and Tribute to Moondog with Linda Olah and Isabel Sörling). The band used to play all over the countries which are curious to discover this new approach of LIVE Music.

CC at Emusers

• rostasi said:
    djh said:
    rostasi said:
     did any one pick you up on this ;-)
    I don't know what "pick you up on this" means?

Oh just that it's a fake cover and gave me a laugh. Leastways I found the image on a fake / adapted covers site after a quick google.

• Aaaah, yes, of course! It was such a good one that seemed to match their cover-art style. On another site, a few years ago, a friend of mine used to come up with goofy band names and titles that he would post in a "what are you listening to" thread and I would soon follow with a designed cover for it. Some of the people thought they were real and the "purists" would get upset.  :)
  • rostasi said:
    and the "purists" would get upset.  :)

Always tragic!