Emusic Beta

Comments

• Yet another survey - this time mentioning the possibility of a return to major labels - well, some of us never had that in the past. That really would be the end for me as the European price model would have to change to accommodate it. Also I'm now getting Recommended for You back - a positive move if it is realistic in its recommendations. 
  • I was also sent the survey, it did not open on my computer, will try again. I am so far not tempted to go back, the lack of labels and new releases means that its not worth going back at present.
  • Don't know WTF is happening at the moment but loads of releases are showing tracklistings with tracks repeated - the most extreme I've found so far is a 6-track album showing as 52 tracks!
    https://emusic.com/album/2317488/Public-Service-Broadcasting/Sputnik--Korolev

The good news is if you d/l such an album it debits the correct number

• The VOICE of the RUSSIAN MOON!  Shows up with a greatly exaggerated number of tracks here too.  I've been waiting for the new Public Service Broadcasting release to appear, but it's on a new label, so maybe it will not happen.
  • Same here in the UK with the Kompakt Pop Ambient 2017 release. 6 x the number of tracks. D/L ok though.
  • Glad to see it wasn't just me seeing double, treble, etc. (in the US)
  • I am seeing a lot of albums with a few tracks duplicated - I think it is a site wide bug.
  • Same here in Canada with the extra track thing. I just checked my account and I see that they have some extra savings on right now. $100 credit for $40 & $200 credit for $75.
  • edited November 2017
    We're getting a similar deal, Confused. For £75 you get lots of tracks for just over 15p each - that's 3/4 of what I pay on my generous grandfathered plan. As someone suggested on the sub-reddit, they must need the money quickly, and in advance, to pay the bills! If I bought a booster, which I am unlikely to do, I'd spend it very quickly indeed. I'd struggle to find 40 to 50 albums to download at the moment
  • Can anyone who has taken advantage confirm what the offer actually is? Like confused I initially read it as, for example, pay £40 get £100. However, the wording states Extra credit, so is it actually pay £40 get £140?
  • This side of the pond it's pay $40 get $100.
  • djhdjh
    edited November 2017
    UK = pay £40 get £100
    £75 gets you £200 being the best option.
    Extra credit is any credit you buy above your normal deal.
    £40 gets you £140 is just wishful thinking.

• Cheers - that's what I expected but you never know just how desperate they are for cash at the moment ;)
  • edited November 2017
    Something new and wonderful just happened:
    I bought this album...
    And along with the tracks I got a PDF of the full album booklet.
    I also was surprised to find a booklet in the download for this album (new Kate Rusby Christmas album). I wonder what it takes to make that happen.

[Edit:] Funny, the PDF is listed as a 14th track but can't be "played" ...
  • I suspect what it takes is just that the label bothered to upload it.
  • edited December 2017
  • still no access here in the US - perhaps a thank-you for my re-upping yesterday???
  • It was up about 10AM EST. 
  • The first blog entry in 3 months:

Best of 2017

As we come to the end of 2017, and take a look back at how and what music has been purchased in 2017, there have been some important insights of note this year. For example, many eMusic fans are still in love with the album vs. the track – the vast majority of purchases are albums, showing that our members prefer to purchase a full body of work that an artist puts together to share their current worldview. This contrasts sharply with what plays on streaming services – individual tracks curated by an algorithm or by a service like Spotify or Tidal. In addition, most eMusic members also prefer to curate and listen to their own music over streaming – in fact, on any given day, members report that 90% of the time, their own music is what’s playing, vs. sampling from streaming services.

So, after culling all the music purchased in 2017 including items save to the wish list, as well as our own staff and label input, we’ve collated the top albums of the year into a giant list for you – featuring everything from pop to vocal jazz to prog rock, from veterans and freshman, and everything in-between.

You can find the full list available here, some at discounts up to 75% off retail for our members.

- and yes, Emusic is down ATM.

• It's not a bad list; I do think, however, that some of the "original price" values are a bit inflated from what I recall .....
  • So the site is "back up" but won't let me in... leastwise on Chrome or Firefox.
  • edited December 2017
    djh said:
    So the site is "back up" but won't let me in... leastwise on Chrome or Firefox.
    You're not alone . . . and many labels are "FULL ALBUM UNAVAILABLE"
    The list of jazz labels effected is long and significant: hatOLOGY - Mack Avenue - Motema - Dot Time - Smoke Sessions - Uptown - Criss Cross - Firehouse12 - Clean Feed - Capri - BFM - Fresh Sound

There are also significant classical labels now unavailable: Challenge Classical - Channel Classics - Onyx (PM Classical) - Halle - Signum - Claves - Avie and probably others.

ETA: sign in is fixed.

• Well I'm due to refresh in 4 days so I hope it's sorted (and I'm glad I hit the site hard these last 48 hours to use up £100+ worth of credit!)
  • Back up and I've foolishly gone for the max credits option as I had a lot of albums in my wishlist. Hoopla!
  • A blog entry from today:

So, you just downloaded an album or ripped tracks from old CDs or vinyl, and you’re ready to upload it to your My Music Cloud. You then notice that Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of you” was uploaded as Luis Fonsi’s or that Kendrick Lamar’s “DAMN” appears as released in 2001.

We’ve all had this happen to us, right?

As your personal My Music Cloud is the core of enjoying your music, eMusic has improved its functionality to deal with these exact issues.

Any album you upload to the eMusic cloud is now marked by an upwards pointing arrow to help distinguish between your uploads and the albums that were purchased on eMusic.

You’ll notice that the more options menu now contains the option to easily and efficiently edit metadata, including: the album title, artist name and the release year. In addition, you can add up to 5 genres or sub genres.

If you come across an album where the track artist isn’t synced with the album artist, all you have to do is check the box to match all tracks to the album artist. You can also edit the track artists individually, if for example you have a compilation of various artists by using the more options menu for individual tracks.

The order of the tracks is all messed up? No problem. There’s a solution for that too!
    You can arrange them in the correct order by editing their track numbers and even move tracks to another album they ended up in the wrong place.

Just got a hold of Leonard Cohen’s 3 disc “classics” collection and found the cd’s scattered around the cloud? You can combine all three into one album and within it, divide the tracks into separate discs.

We know what you’re thinking. What about the album art? Well, you can rest assured that this too is on our to-do list! Soon you’ll be able to attach an album art, if missing or change it if it’s incorrect.

At eMusic, we care about our users and consistently keep improving to assure that you stay satisfied and get the best user experience possible.

Keep checking out our blog or join our social communities on Reddit, Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the latest news and release updates.

• So, the big news is they added an arrow.

• "As your personal My Music Cloud is the core of enjoying your music"...Keep dreamin', lads.

You can't edit info for eMu purchases
  • The interesting thing about this is that it strikes me as wildly inefficient in terms of storage space.   Given that TriPlay is first and foremost about their cloud technology, I would think it would be much more cost-effective to have a single copy of music stored, with multiple (transparent to users) "pointers" to it when multiple people upload the same album.  Amazon, Apple and others all do this, basically upconverting to MP3 320K if your uploaded music is lower resolution.     Of course, this would mean they have to get metadata and album art right themselves, which they still don't do even for their own content. (Perhaps this is also why you can't edit entries for albums/tracks purchased from them - e.g. maybe they do the optimization I am describing... if they let you edit those entries they would also then be replicating physical storage of their own content).

• What strikes me as a little odd about all this is the following: emusic has announced recently if I remember rightly that their surveys still show that some very high percentage of their users listen to whole albums and prefer owning music to streaming it. That makes sense. But aren't they the segment of the music listening population least likely to center their music enjoyment around another kind of streaming service? Or maybe everyone's full migration to the cloud is just inevitable...
  • Inevitable? Let's hope not.