iTunes hates me. I think the feeling is mutual.

Comments

• Greg, that is exactly what my old iPod Classic holds - roughly half of my 'main' library. I'll certainly get the new one after the new-OS dust settles.

Just to note, I still use my 7th Gen iPod daily; it holds a charge just fine. Indeed, the 60 gig 6th Gen also still works. Play time is limited, although battery will hold a charge for weeks. There are people out there who are modifying old Classic iPods with SSDs up to 1 TB !
  • My original iPod was a 30GB I think 4th, maybe 5th generation. I still use it at times in my car. The battery does not hold up too well, but I can plug it into my Audi system, so it works fine. When I bought the car five years ago I specified an up-rated sound system, so I use it with about 50 or so albums in lossless format, and the sound is brilliant.
  • I have a Fiio Mp3 player with a 128 gb sd drive, I just edited it so with 40gb open I have enough space for it to keep me going gor the next few months.
  • Doofy said:
    "It’s likely that Apple will keep iTunes around for a short while, at least in some form. It remains the only way for people to manage older iPod devices that never had internet connections and so can’t stream music." <- From an Independent story, will spare you the link.

This is the piece that scares me medium-term. Without wishing to trigger a rehash of all the pro or anti-streaming arguments, I rarely stream, and it is not because I have an old device or an old internet connection. It is because of where and when I listen and the way in which I organize my listening around a curated collection. I am not advocating this as the one true approach, but I do not wish to change it. I also do not use a smart phone and do not wish to change that either. So I am kind of dreading the day when it gets really hard to find a high quality device that makes it easy to focus on syncing and playing my own music, primarily while offline. The rhetoric of "this is a concession to folk who did not keep up" (rather than people who do not want the current product specs) is what worries me. I want iTunes kept not because my devices are obsolete, but because of the functions I want to keep, like the (offline) smart playlist management.

• OK, faster with large libraries is definitely a benefit. It struggles a bit with mine right now.
  • With Catalina now release those of us on macOS could be heading off into the uncharted territory that is Apple Music app...

This is one update I will be putting off for a while, and keeping an eye the support forums to judge when, or if, to make the move.

I get the feeling from reading some of the Apple Community posts that the "streamlined" in the article title above is simply that useful functionality has been removed.
  • In iTunes (Mojave), it appears that the Up Next queue has disappeared, and instead one can "Play Next" and queue immediately, or "Play Later" and queue at the end of the current displayed playlist.

This effectively means one cannot dynamically queue tracks in order to play next. My usually listening scenario is a smart playlist on shuffle play. Occasionally I want to listen to a few tracks from this or that, so need to queue them up. Before, with an "Up Next" queue, you would "next" track A, then "later" track B, C, etc. This would set up ABC in order to play next. This seems no longer possible, which completely bewilders me. Now if you want to listen to ABC next, you literally have to "play next" CBA in that order.

That seems utterly insane, and I can't easily believe this use case is so exotic they consider it negligible.

• edited January 2020
    Well, I have sailed off the edge of the world, or perhaps more like iTunes has sailed off the edge of the world without me. Trying to move to a new(er) computer, my old iPods no longer show up in iTunes. Not unexpected of course, and perhaps will prompt a needed upgrade in my antediluvian music technology. The tricky bit is going to be my good old iPod shuffles, which are absolutely irreplaceable for workouts as far as I'm concerned. Options might include downgrading to an earlier version of iTunes, or moving to a different product to manage/sync. Either way, I think the end may be near for my 15-year library data (play counts, etc) <-ETA this all occurs as I try to move to a Windows 10 machine
  • edited January 2020
    Sorry to hear that you're having this problem.
    I haven't ventured into anything more recent
    than El Capitan, but this app has worked for
    me when I want to transfer iTunes tunes to a
    flash drive (usually I use them in rental cars).
    Check the reviews, etc. and see what you think.

Older demo video.

• Thx @rostasi. I am confident the best solution will present itself with time...I left the old Win7 machine running for now. Media Monkey is a product that seems frequently mentioned by those abandoning iTunes https://download.cnet.com/MediaMonkey/3000-2141_4-10109807.html
  • That’s a shame - I hope you can find a workaround.

I am having an issue on iTunes where when I add an album to the library for the first time since booting up the computer it takes 5-10 minutes to complete the process, freezing iTunes and the explorer folder until it’s done. If I then add any subsequent albums, they add almost instantaneously. Anybody know what it’s looking for that first time?
  • Well, I am made whole again, for now. The trick is to install an older version of iTunes from Apple, *not* the current version from Microsoft. The issue seems to be that MS versions lack "Apple Mobile Device" support. I doubt there would be any problem with newer Apple devices. Others are likely to be having the same problem as they try to move to Win10 from Win7, which went out of support yesterday. My iTunes version is 12.1.3 fwiw.

Prof, that sounds not unlike the halting performance of my Windows 7 machine, which is about to be taken back behind the barn and shot. But my problem wasn't so much iTunes but Chrome...Painfully slow to open/load but worked OK once it got going. (That computer couldn't be upgraded to Windows 10)
  • Just parking this old iTunes forum link here, as a similar iPhone-not-syncing problem has recurred: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8576740 Resetting the phone (and not restoring from backup) was the solution last time. 

I think the number of us who are at all concerned with syncing from an iTunes library is rapidly dwindling...A subsequent poster suggested simply using Media Monkey to manage the music on the phone.

• Is there any solution to the iTunes "forgetting" to update plays for some songs? I play a song,the play count updates to one, then after a bit of time (less than an hour) it goes back to zero. I have tried using scripts to update the playcount, it always reverts on some tracks. Often I get the last played on 1/1/04 error too.

I am using iTunes match, and tried this on downloaded songs on my local hard drive as well as stored in the cloud. I have deleted and re-imported the songs. I have re-ripped the CD, even. Same results on Windows or Mac.

This is an old problem with iTunes, but maybe someone here has found something I missed.

I should probably just relax, but it does drive me crazy to not have accurate play counts.
  • I have never used iTunes match, and never had an issue like this

I forgot about my previous syncing problem, in the post above...It went away, somehow. Thus I'm able to continue kicking the inevitable switch from iTunes down the road, for now
  • I have bought a few various artist compilations recently on Bandcamp.  Typically, I use iTunes for my PC music player.  I'm having problems importing these compilations into iTunes - I think it's because the names are too long, but I can't figure out how to rename them. Even when I select the actual file and try to rename under properties, the names revert to how they were originally named.

Any suggestion on fixing this?  Thanks.
  • edited October 2020
    Does it work if you use a third party tool to rename them? I use MP3Tag, which works well and is free and notifies you if there is a problem.
    https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
  • thanks GP, I'll try that.  sr.

• I've successfully re-named long files in properties before. Check to see if the "read-only" box is checked?
  • edited October 2020
    I’m surprised that the conclusion is that the names are too long.
    I have over a million tracks in iTunes with some of the titles being extra long
    such as ones that you’ll find on recent Keiji Haino releases like this one.
    No problems also on recordings with long names and large quantities
    like this one. My guess, without seeing, is that you may have accidentally
    downloaded a Bandcamp album in a file format that iTunes doesn’t recognize.
    Every once-in-a-while, Bandcamp changes the file format that I’d been using
    regularly on something I’ve bought to something completely different and it
    slips thru without my immediately noticing it (to FLAC, for instance).
  • @rostasi That may be right, come to think of it. I know I've had long file name errors when running backups, but not necessarily adding to iTunes
  • edited October 2020
    Also, I've noticed tunes that have been sent to me by someone who's on a PC where the names have been cut-off. Back in the 90s, when I had used a PC (it was a short time between an Amiga and a Mac), I remember having something like a 30-character limit on titles, so maybe it's this combination of iTunes and PC that could be the problem (?)
    ...and about Bandcamp, I think that the seller may be the one responsible for setting the initial file format, but I'm guessing since I've never uploaded anything there.
  • In this most recent comp., the only ones that play are the ones with the shortest names.  When I try and edit under properties, it automatically reverts to its "given name"
  • BTW - the comp. i'm referring to the "Good Music Volume 2 - Music to Avert the Collapse ..." discussed under the Flash Bandcamp Sale page.   Thanks, all.
  • It's interesting that you are looking at a rather long album name. I always include the album name and artist name as well as the track name in my file names. Sometimes in the past when I have run into the name length limit on a previous Windows machine, a successful workaround (aside form abbreviating the track name or album name) has been to shorten the folder name, or to move the tracks further up the folder hierarchy to rename them and then return them. It seemed (?) sometimes Windows was having a fit not just about the length of the track name but that in conjunction with the length of the whole address including parent folder names, so if I ended up with something that was, say, C:\David\Music\classical\composers\Beethoven\Name of orchestra-long album name\very long track name it started struggling; but oddly, sometimes if I moved it up to e.g. the "classical" folder I could proceed and then move it back. YMMV.
    You could try changing the album name to just "Music to Avert the Collapse" and seeing if that frees up the track name. (Depends whether your tag philosophy leans to accuracy or navigability)
  • Here's my next iTunes mystery question.  I still burn CDs for my car.  I use iTunes, but my in-dash player only randomly displays the artist name.  I always enter both the artist and album artist name in the song info section.  I also check properties.  Where else could that info be hidden (or missing)????   Thanks and Happy New Year to all.   Cheers
  • There’s “artist” and “album artist” - are both filled in? It could only be pulling from one of them.
  • I never have “album artist” filled in - just “artist” - but my car is over 20 years old with no such thing as a readout. But, a few years back, when I’d have a rental, the artist, track, and album names would show up fine. Now, since CD players aren’t in rentals, I use an 256 GB iPod Touch and all info shows with no problem - at least it was fine when we took our first trip in two years last October.