What's sitting outside your window right now?

Comments

• Right now there's a cat drinking out of the swimming pool under the palm trees. (Nice as that sounds I'll be in a conference space all day)
  • Not quite as bad as BN but as I look out my window I can see 10cm or so of snow on the ground. And yes amc2 we also had it hot this time last year. I heard on the news that this weekend last year there was a record March high temperature, whilst this year we have had the worst March snow in 50 plus years!
  • It snowed this morning :-(.
  • The pollen from the pine trees is everywhere. It's like the whole state has been turned into a lumber mill.
  • We've had snow/sleet everyday for the last week. I realize I live in Minnesota, but it's the middle of April. This is ridiculous.

Craig
  • It is the same here in Maine...........
  • A great big pile of trees and branches that I cut down from the backyard is sitting outside my window. It was sunny and relatively warm here today, but not too warm; the perfect weather for chopping up trees and branches. Any snow that happens in Michigan and Minnesota usually ends up here in a day or two though.
  • edited April 2013
    Yesterday morning, looking out the window I could see the Mediteranean Sea less than 50 metres away. We had lunch at a beach bar, temperature mid 20sC, really pleasant before getting a late afternoon flight home. Not quite so warm here this morning and the view is nowhere near as enthralling. When I upload my holiday photos, I'll try to add one here
  • The palmetto bugs are back, and one is in the bushes outside the window, making tons of noise. I beat the bush with a broom, which hopefully scared it away, but now I'm a little too keyed up to sleep.
  • Well, looking out the back window, I saw a rabbit chowing down in one the patches where the snow has melted back. It's changing to it's spring outfit and blends in pretty good now. It's a typical dull grey -3c spring morning right now, but the sun's trying to poke through the trees and should warm things up pretty quickly. Snowed off and on this weekend but nothing lasted.
  • krokus_1_7997.jpg
    20c
    - Its only a matter of days before there will be tulips and dafodils too
  • o0yrmv.jpg

Well well, a little visitor to cheer up a very gray day.
  • Sog, that's what.

32590_592579254093539_278699097_n.jpg

I have got my own garden experiment going on out there, or at least I will if all my new little plants don't get washed away.
  • Same rotten weather has me sitting in an airport still when I should be home by now :(
  • Snow, snow and more snow. I love the sight of land and trees blanketed in white, but I've had enough for this go-round, thank you. We expect spring here to be warmer, with some interruptions by returning winter weather, but this year it's been more like persistent cold with brief warming spells. We rationalize it by saying we need the moisture, and that's true, but I'm ready for the moisture to be in a more liquid, transparent form.
  • In an hour, my view will be:
    713px-Durhambull.jpg
    I'm taking my son to his first baseball game, AAA Charlotte Knights at AAA Duhram Bulls. This isn't the original sign, which was in the movie, but I would love for someone to hit it.
  • @Doofy - What size wood did you use for your garden beds? I'm debating if I should get 2x6s or 2x8s.
  • @BT - nice! I lived in Durham for a few years back in the 80s and have fond memories of the old ballpark. Though the new one is a lot nicer.
  • Thom, they are 2x8. They were sunk about halfway into the ground - probably more than that by now.

This is our 3rd or 4th year with these. Btw, I recommend using steel corner brackets to build the boxes. We just banged in stakes, and they're not standing up as well as I'd hoped.

It's a swamp out there today - But I will take it, as neighbor has water in his basement and we don't.
  • Get galvanized steel brackets. They are much less prone to rust.
  • Bunches of lettuce, that's what's outside my window

382246_612086288809502_1570833019_n.jpg
  • artworks-000015289333-hnbsj4-original.jpg?c831450

I am reminded of Andy Sheppard commenting on Radio 3 a few years ago about being accompanied by Blackbird while playing "Bye Bye Blackbird" in the conservatory at the Barbican (London).
  • edited June 2013
    Since moving from a village into a town a few months ago, we have been amazed at the number of birds we now see and hear compared to previously. A couple of weeks ago there was a pair of robins in our garden with us whilst we worked out there. There are the inevitable pigeons and blackbirds, but not as many pigeons as we had in our rural garden, which might explain why there are more birds like a woodpecker, sparrows plus many whose names I admit to not knowing.
  • Tomaters. Well, they were outside, now they're inside waiting to get cooked up.

BSrSmcrCMAA2PfC.jpg:medium
  • IMGP8207.JPG
    Robert Storm Petersen.
  • fzajwz.jpg21edmdf.jpg
    A large number of people here are still without power, maybe until Thursday. Thankfully we are still powered and warm.
  • edited March 2014
    One month earlier than last year:

blaa_anemone3.jpg

- Yay !

ETA: I know this doesn't make sense to anyone (except BT, perhaps) but this is such a lovely song with lovely lyrics by Kaj Munk:
    Hvad var det dog der skete?
    Mit vinterfrosne hjertes kvarts
    m
  • 10418344_828966333788162_4107228337380956023_n.jpg

Pretty pleased we are attracting Monarchs, though haven't seen any caterpillars or cocoons yet
  • There was melt for an hour or two today. I can see parts of the road surface on my street. This feels like major news.