What's sitting outside your window right now?

Comments

- Very early this year.

Flemming "Bamse" Jørgensen's Blå Anemone

• Displaying IMG_1660.JPG
    I took this with my ipod touch. That's how much the chipmunks care about me being nearby in the garden.
  • edited August 2015
    Announcing the winner of most interesting creature found in my yard this summer that I had never seen before, 2015...

• edited August 2015
    That's a Yellow Garden Orb Weaver. It's similar to Gary Wright's Dream Weaver, because I believe it can reach the morning light. Also, it sucks (i.e., its venom has enzymes that help liquefy its victim's innards, which are then vacuumed into the stomach to be digested, just like the 70's AOR classic).

Not especially dangerous though, assuming you're not allergic to spider venom...
  • So it even has a cool name! Thanks fit the identification!
  • It's dark now, but before the sun went down, this was the view outside my window.

It'll do.

Craig
  • Pretty much same here in the Midwest, Craig. Enjoy!
  • Summary of today: Driving in Chicago in the snow sucks.
  • Prof, in fact we were coming home from Mich last night, and it was about the worst I've ever seen.  Solid hour from the Skyway.  And all because of a couple inches of snow...I thought you were better than that, Chicago drivers.

• the first harbinger of spring . . .
  • edited February 2016
    @Doofy, we were trying to get from downtown Chicago to Indianapolis (and in theory then on to Grand Rapids, which didn't work out). Took forever to get out onto the skyway - first an accident and what seemed like about a dozen emergency vehicles clogged the expressway for 20+ minutes, during which we witnessed (i) folk trying various unhelpful shortcuts to get around other folk, which clogged everything worse, (ii) someone driving in the wrong direction up the parallel carriageway - we think maybe they had spun out, because we could not work out how they managed to get there driving in that direction - and then doing a big u-turn across several lanes of heavy traffic, (iii) folk (a LOT of folk) driving into the connector and realizing the traffic was stopped on the expressway and then reversing fifty to a hundred yards back out of the connector back into traffic on the highway they had just left, to go the other way. It seemed miraculous there were not more accidents. When we finally got out of Chicago mercifully intact we spent a few hours on 65 before they eventually closed it - it was not easy to see where the road was in stretches. Got badly tailgated by a truck in limited visibility and traction. We got to Indianapolis, gave up and overnighted and drove up this morning. Driving in Chicago worries me at the best of times; driving in the city in snow felt like a knock-down argument against the existence of human rationality.
  • Ok, that's a straight-up horror story, compared to my tale of more than usual inconvenience. Glad you eventually made it home in one piece!

I gave some thought to suggesting we spend the Sunday night in Mich and go travel this morning instead. I guess everyone figured, like me, the forecast wasn't that bad, might as well go...
  • edited February 2016
    Yeah we had to go, we were getting my daughter to professional dance company auditions. The thought processes of some people in those circumstances are kind of amazing, though. "I'm driving a truck, it's snowing, visibility is bad and the road is slippery and poorly defined, so ... hmmm... obviously the thing to do is to drive eight feet behind the car in front at 45 mph." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Some truck drivers in the States seem very similar to some here. Looking out my window at the moment it is a bright blue sky, although it is cold. Too many shrubs, trees and other plants are coming out way too soon for their own good. There is some blossom on one tree that normally does not come out until mid April.

• edited March 2016
    In full blossom yesterday:
    It means that spring is here.

The words of this song is written by the Danish priest, playwriter and poet Kaj Munk who was assasined by the German occupation in 1944.
    It's a song that carries the essence of of the part of Denmark where I live and is and will always be very special to me.

Location map Lollandsvg 
    Lolland (in latin: Lalandia)

- And the late Flemming "Bamse" (the teddybear) version is just . . . perfect.

Flemming "Bamse" Jørgensen's Blå Anemone

• A couple days ago...already fading

• Yesterday it was spring, today it is winter. Yes M!ch!gan....
  • I have a little friend like that who visits many times a day outside my window.
    I call him Munchin' Downy Jr.
  • edited May 2016
    Well, not sitting . . .The farmer who owns the fields around my house is growing rapeseeds this year . . .a gorgeous view. B)
    httpstaticpanoramiocomphotoslarge22215007jpg

• I agree a gorgeous view BN - but just looking at that picture gets my nose streaming! 
  • The warmth has finally come to London, shorts on and the hard work in the  garden is starting to work. Saw a couple of jays this morning which is unusual as we have not seen them here for a few years. I must try and get some garden time this weekend
  • No shorts or garden in this part of London but off to Apsley House soon with maybe even a visit to a record shop later with an old music mukka who is down from the cold north this weekend. No current view out of the window as the blinds are down ;-)

• The hot weather in the south of the UK at the weekend has well and truly gone. The view out of my window is very wet!  
  • Oh the warmth is still here, but mixed with grey skies and drizzle it quickly loses it's charm ;-) Not good weather for unloading 1.5 tonnes of art magazines I'll tell you!
  • It wasn't very much snow, but yesterday was the first time I ever got snowed on while I mowed the lawn.

Later on this guy was sitting outside, I think eating some grubs that I disturbed with the yard work.
  • I might be on a train.

• Lettuce, that's what's outside my window. Beating all expectations this year
  • Lake Superior is outside my window right now (this was Sunday evening). Nice to slow down.