iTunes hates me. I think the feeling is mutual.

Comments

• The latest update (11.0.2) adds composer view - but you have to go to 'Edit' -> 'Preferences' menu to enable it.

If only they provided a proper indication of which issues have been resolved, rather than the rather terse bit at the list of what was new with version 11.
    This update adds a new Composers view for music, improves responsiveness when syncing playlists with a large number of songs, and fixes an issue where purchases may not show up in your iTunes library. This update also includes other stability and performance improvements.
  • Yes I agree Paul. One of my issues with version 11 is that I cannot find a way to list albums alphabetically by title over all my itunes, not just by artist first. Recently I remembered the title of an album I wanted to play but I could not remember the artist - it was a jazz album with several artists and typicallyfor emusic the main artist (John Abercrombie) wasn't listed! Under previous versions of itunes this was easy! (Yes, I know I can change the artist - I have now done so!)
  • Greg, I don't get your complaint - under the Music -> Songs view in iTunes 11, you certainly can toggle between Album/Album-by-artist/Album-by-artist-year to sort on that column.
  • My version doesn't allow Artist, just the other two. I downloaded the latest version this morning, so maybe I ough to try with that. Weird, though..
  • iTunes on both mac and pc work the same for me - three album column choices, including plain 'album', which is what you were asking for above, right? It doesn't seem right that you'd have another feature set on your version.
  • I've just tried it again, and it is OK. I must have tried exactly the same 20 plus times on previous version of itunes in the last week, and could not get artist only, so I have no idea what went wrong, thanks for your help kargatron.
  • WtH? Now iTunes library has disappeared - As if it were a new installation with no previous music. I didn't even update iTunes or anything like that (I'm in 10.7)

Of course the music is still there, but all the data are gone. I looked for the iTunes library file, but it seems to have gone missing - all I have is old ones. (This is on the office computer, not my main music library, otherwise I would be really bummed!)

Of course I could simply reload the music, but I'd lose all my data. That's what I'll do, unless anyone has any bright ideas!
  • edited April 2013
    See if this article helps.
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks cw00, but none of these is really my situation. HD is OK, music files are there, in the right place - it's just the library data (ie, *.itl file in Windows) seem to have gone missing! I hold out hope that it is in there somewhere...

ETA: Got it from a Restore Point, thanks to the nifty Win7 trick of letting you search for previous versions of a file (in this case, the .itl file). I lost a week or so of play data.

So weird how it disappeared - Maybe Katrina will happen along and explain this to me. In any case, reminder to back up library data as well as music files...
  • Was going to say, you should have a 'Previous iTunes Libraries' backup folder... But yeah, essential to backup the itl file, if you care about your library.
  • karg, I did and do, but what's funny is all those files are very old - months and even years. Didn't understand that either.

I've been sloppy about backups on this [office] computer. Need to change that, as I apparently do care about the library data!

This reminds me I still haven't done the iTunes 11 update on either computer. May try it on this one (Win7) and see how it goes. But still wary of doing it on the other (XP) machine.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh darn. I've made my itunes library go bad where I had to get itunes to rebuild that file that keeps track of play count etc. Even though I use Apple's Time Machine backup software, this reminds me to back up my own library file.
  • Since the last major iTunes update, the problem that I and others have had in the past with cover art not appearing on the iPod touch has become persistent. I have twice been through the prescribed routine of removing all music from the Touch and reloading it all, and the artwork is still missing. Did a little searching to no avail. Anyone come across any different cures for this, or anything to suggest there is a legacy issue? (My Touch is two generations old).
  • edited May 2013
    Recently I created a "never played" playlist for playcount=0 songs to trawl for anything missed by my ratings related lists. One surprising album that popped up on it was one that I knew I had listened to several times when I bought it. I shrugged, listened to it through again, and it cycled off the list.

A couple of days ago, the first four tracks only reappeared again on the never played list, with a play count of zero. And yet "last played" gives April 19.

It's apparently just this album. I checked the file properties - no read-only or anything. Only other distinguishing feature I can think of is that this is perhaps the only full album I have ever purchased on iTunes. (It would of course be pretty ironic if that were somehow the cause).

All I can find in the forums is the claim that it's a bug in iTunes Match. Which I do not have enabled. So apparently the bug messes you up even if you are not using the feature.

Grrr.

ETA, I see some people are having iTunes bulk-change genre tags, hundreds of tracks at a time, on music they purchased from iTunes.
  • Gp, I've seen weird behavior about iTunes purchases (mostly years-old free download tracks for me) reverting their metadata, seemingly via a push from iTMS. I simply unchecked all of them, so they wouldn't pop back up in my playlists. Sorry, though, no diagnosis.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks cw00, but none of these is really my situation. HD is OK, music files are there, in the right place - it's just the library data (ie, *.itl file in Windows) seem to have gone missing! I hold out hope that it is in there somewhere...

ETA: Got it from a Restore Point, thanks to the nifty Win7 trick of letting you search for previous versions of a file (in this case, the .itl file). I lost a week or so of play data.

So weird how it disappeared - Maybe Katrina will happen along and explain this to me. In any case, reminder to back up library data as well as music files...

Usually it's security software. Less common, malware.
    I installed a new version of Kaspersky about 4 months & I've had nothing but problems. Not just with iTunes, either.

But a good symptom of iTunes & security software interference is multiple
    Temp File.tmp
    files in your iTunes folder.

The tmp file is normal to show up for milliseconds, as iTunes attempts to update a just-played song's play count. But the security software blocks it. If the security software has a lock on the itl file long enough, it gets damaged. Then iTunes makes blank library so it can launch.
  • You don't say...so what does it mean when you have 40 or so different temp files going back to 2010!? Never noticed those before - I take it they can and should be deleted.

Looking closer, I see they are concentrated in a handful of times. Based on the above, the most likely culprit would seem to be AVG updates/upgrades.

Also never really looked in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder before. There are several, but not of them recent. This is all on a computer to which I recently transferred my library, and which previously had its own (small) library. All of this suggests I should really do a fresh install, which I guess means biting the bullet and upgrading to 12. Thanks for the info, Katrina!
  • edited May 2013
    Yes, get rid of those tmp files except for the oldest ones. I get several of them daily now that I've "upgraded" to Kaspersky v13. Multiple means, whatever is locking the itl file is doing it multiple times.
    Grrr. Can't seem to find the setting to exclude that itl file in this version. It's also wreaking havoc with Tivo, but that's another story.

Yes, a recent AVG upgrade has been reported as wiping the iTunes itl over on the Apple forums, and I found a link there to the AVG forums where AVG has promised a patch.
    Here's the patch - renaming one of those tmp files & crossing your fingers.

Yikes, that one looks like the Sony Vaio issue from years ago, where Sony deliberately deleted the itl file as soon as the user ran the Sony media manager software that came preinstalled.

The previous iTunes library folder only gets updated when you upgrade iTunes to a new version. So, that's not a reliable backup at all. I copy my itl file to a thumb drive every few days or so. Hmm, and I think I read something about iTunes 11 not even putting a previous library in that folder, too.
  • Very timely, as a new AVG update went out this morning! It actually installed without incident on my main music computer...Luckier than I deserve, as I hadn't backed up the itl lately.
  • Here's an article about 6 iTunes Alternates for Mac.
  • iTunes Radio is in today's new version. Couple dozen stations, including Guest DJ Katy Perry!
  • edited October 2013
    Oh cool. Will have to try it out. Finally getting an iPhone (5c) instead of carrying a crappy Samsung and an iPod touch. It was a bit like the old Reese's Peanut Butter cup commercial.
  • I almost wet my pants when you posted that! First read, I saw iPAD. Not ipod touch.
  • Lol, sorry Katrina. No iPads here. It does many things an iPhone and iPad can do, but no cell calls and of course a smaller screen.
  • shame less self promoting bump (see above)

Also, has anyone played around with iTunes Radio? So far to me it seems like a Pandora like radio.
  • We don't get that here...

Podcasts seem to have been seriously broken :(
  • I guess it might be a US only thing to do record label licensing. Not sure about the Podcasts though. It has become a little more complicated for anyone that uses iOS because Podcasts have their own App now.
  • Looked at the iTunes radio finally. I'm still running iTunes 10 on my laptop. Had to do some stuff on the hubby's Mac, which has the latest version.

I dunno, I just have so much stuff queued up from emusic that I haven't even listened to yet. And I think I quit mordac in 2008? 2009? -yikes.

So, listening to iTunes radio on my ipod just isn't appealing. I did see that they had a classical station. I'd probably start with that. Or one of the guest DJs. I forget who was on there when I looked at it.

About the podcasts, I don't get them on my iphone. Just listen to them on the nano when I'm doing housework.
  • OK, so suddenly my ipod Touch/iTunes setup developed a widely reported, apparently unsolved, and resolved by some users in widely varying manners bug where only the first song of each album sync to the iPod. (And since I deleted/readded all the music in an attempt to fix it, I mean each and every album). It's starting to look as if the issue is either a corrupted playlist or some corrupted tracks.Given the size of my library I could be in for a very long shift of gradually removing/re-adding different combinations of things to narrow it down. Sigh.
  • Well, it took three hours of selective syncing, but I finally found it. One album that if it is present aborts the whole sync. (Just to make things interesting, the sync was not failing when it started transferring that album; that would have been too easy. It would always fail about ten tracks in if that album was present later in the batch to be synced, even if that batch was thousands of tracks and that album was way down the queue.)