iTunes hates me. I think the feeling is mutual.

Comments

• We are prob lucky to have the 80G iPods...for a minute there, the idea was that you would want them to play video! I don't have iTunes Match, but my various libraries show "Cloud" versions of the iTunes songs that aren't on that computer.

I buy an occasional album at iTunes, and enjoy having that little selection of music on my phone. I would actually like my iPhone music plays to show up in my iTunes library, not sure why they don't.
  • Doofy, do you have iTunes preferences checked for iTunes home sharing computers & devices updates playcounts?
  • I would absolutely buy a 2TB ipod. (If it was less than $599 or so). Maybe I should buy a 64GB ipod Touch for each genre and tape them together...
    Oh, and my copy of iTunes is borderline sentient. It definitely hates me.

Settings on the touch for the iCloud are that everything is disabled, nothing is backed up to iCloud, storage is showing 5GB available of 5GB total, backup is turned off, all apps are turned off.
    GP, it has to be in your library/cloud to get on the device. iTunes can't pull a music file out of thin air.
    I know, right? Flippancy about hating aside, I'm not claiming voodoo. That's what has me scratching my head. It is not in my library. I have searched by artist and track name. After that, doubting myself, I went through all of my playlists one by one and looked for the relevant artists (even though they are not in my library). Unsurprisingly they were not there. It is not set to manually manage. It is set to sync selected playlists, and I have nothing checked in the sync dialog except in the playlists field. No music has been manually added (and I can say that categorically because I am a few days out from a factory reset and can remember every sync session). I have also searched the whole profile in Windows using Windows search by song name and artist name. Of course it has to be coming from somewhere, and surely I am missing something or something I just said is somehow not true...but what?

The two places those music files exist are (i) my wife's music folder, visible under shared folders in Windows (but nothing in iTunes that I am aware of points to it) and (ii) my wife's music folder on my external backup drive (a place where as far as I know iTunes also has no connections).

Bear with me a moment while I talk to myself. The music files consist of:
    4 Al Kooper tracks
    2 Aretha Franklin tracks
    1 BIGBANG track (never even heard of them, lol)
    1 Brenton Brown track
    1 whole album by Cafe R&B
    1 CeCe Winans track
    2 Curtis Mayfield tracks
    1 Eagles track
    1 Enya track
    1 Florence and the Machine track
    1 Genesis track
    1 Isley Brothers track
    1 Joe Pace track
    1 Julie London track
    1 Kyary Pamyu Pamyu track
    2 Mastodon tracks
    1 Nina Simone track
    1 Ronnie Earl track
    1 SHINee track
    1 Shop Boyz track
    1 Tina Turner track
    1 whole Vamps album
    1 Yolanda Adams track

OK, that gives me some new information.
    Some of these are tracks that only my daughter would have or listen to.
    Some are tracks that only my wife would have or listen to. So either my daughter has copied some pretty unlikely tracks from my wife's collection to hers (or less plausibly vice versa) or they are being picked up from multiple locations.
    I will check my wife's/daughter's playlists when I get home for similarity to that list, in case something happened when a profile was switched while the Touch was connected.
    It remains possible that these tracks were bought on iTunes; I do not shop there but the family does sometimes.

Oh, here's some new data - some of those tracks show up in iOS Scrobbler but not in the native iPod Touch Music app. Those that do not show up in both are not playable. Could Last.fm be involved somehow?

I'll check the xml library file when I get home.
  • I love my 150 GB iPod, and live in dread of the day it goes kaput. 2 TB would be glorious, though.

Craig
  • I can still remember being all awed and agog that my new Windows 95 computer had 1.6 GB of hard disk space. Like, more that a GIGABYTE!!! Woooow!!!
  • I know. I remember people asking, "who could ever need a gigabyte!?!"

Craig
  • Katrina, I didn't even know that option existed - And yet it is checked. Maybe there is a setting on the iPhone that I need to change? I believe it does update plays from the downstairs computer.

The 160 GB iPods are still there at $249, I am happy to report. (My daughter just bought a little SSD "computer" at that price.) Mine is at least 3 years old and going strong. Library currently at 263 GB...!
  • edited August 2014
    Katrina, I followed up on your suggestion of looking in the ipod contents in iTunes. Interesting, the offending tracks are not there. With the iPod Touch plugged in to the computer, iTunes does not see those tracks as being in the iPod Touch (not even the ones that will actually play on the iPod Touch in the native music app.) I presume this means that this after all is not about syncing, but something that happened between the device and the cloud? Perhaps related indeed to Doofy's issue? I think thinking of it as a sync problem was a red herring (due to the fact that that is the only method I use to put music on the device)

Also, I have discovered that these tracks will not allow me to delete them manually on the iPod Touch. Swiping left does nothing.

The only thing I can think at this point is that when I was setting up the new profile on the iPod Touch it started downloading past iTunes purchases and it got aborted when I turned off iCloud?

Wondering now how to get rid of them. PhoneCleanPro says I have no corrupt media files on the iPod Touch to clean up. Don't really want to go through my second factory reset in a week.

ETA, tried turning ON "Show All Songs" on the Touch. And indeed those four Al Kooper songs then show. I am pretty convinced it's a corrupted "Show All Songs" issue at this point. Am going to try downloading one or two of the ones that don;t show in the native app and seeing if I can then delete them.
    ETA2, I can delete the ones that I download. But the ones that were already on the Touch and playable in the native app show as not-downloaded when I enable show all songs, but then remain on the Touch when I turn off show all songs. Starting to fear I will have to do another wipe to get rid of these. And not set up a wifi connection until I have all the settings checked.
  • Germanprof, I'm positive it's from iCloud. Try this

Remove iPod touch from your list of “iTunes in the Cloud” devices. In iTunes on your
    computer, choose Store > View Account. Sign in, then click Manage Devices in the “iTunes in
    the Cloud” section.

There is a list of devices. For me, it's my iPhone & a Windows PC I didn't even know was in there. You can take your touch off the list and see if it gets rid of that list of songs.
    Then you can always put it back on the list.
  • Thanks, I'll try that.
  • (Btw, that's what I was referring to when I wrote "Also, there's a iTunes setting under Prefs-Store for that, I think." :)
  • edited August 2014
    Doofy, well never mind, it doesn't seem to work. I just played a song on my iPhone.
    I never play music on the iPhone since it's synced to my Win PC which is still running iTunes 10.x, and the iPhone is now incompatible since it's iOS 7. So, I can't sync it anymore.
    Anyhoo, I just played 2 songs on the iPhone and neither my Mac nor WinPC has updated the play count or last played date.

edit: also my phone can't load either library (Mac or WinPC). I think they are too large. iPhone just times out. It shows a red circle and only gets 1/2 way around the progress circle.

Did some research, and apparently you have to be using iTunes match for device play counts & Last Played date to update PC-based iTunes, and even then it's a crapshoot.
    Going back to 2011 when Match was introduced
    Match also has problems of erasing & doubling play counts, reading through that link, and can take up to 24 hours to show up if it does decide to work.
  • kargatron, it's confusing because one would think it would all be under iTunes > Preferences > Store tab.
  • Yeah, iTunes Sharing's inability to handle large libraries is a known bug. Unfortunate and longstanding.
  • Yes, it takes freaking forever for the PC libraries to show up to each other. Poor little iphone doesn't have enough memory, I assume.

Germanprof, I'm guessing your family shares one iTunes store account? If you all had separate accounts, I don't think this would be happening.
    Yep, I think your theory of why you can't delete them might be correct.

See if the answer from clyde c or DallasFan6 works
  • edited August 2014
    YESSSSSS! Thank you Thank you Thank you! DallasFan6's suggestion worked! And I actually only had to do it with one song and it cleared all of them - must have been a single failed download that somehow left the whole download queue broken and on the device.

The bad tracks are still showing in iOS scrobbler, but I hope deleting and reinstalling that will sort that.

(I am still indecisive about what music player I want to use. iOS Scrobbler and SmartPlayer are the only two I have found that reliably scrobble in real time from the iPod Touch. The former works but is ugly, a little buggy, and feature-poor, e.g. No way of viewing playlists or changing song ratings. The latter is a killer app - beautiful and highly functional - but when scrobbling is turned on it drains my battery in a couple of hours - told the developer and he blew me off. Just trying another called Groove. Wondering if I might go back to only scrobbling at iTunes sync to regain functionality while playing.)
  • Never bothered me to scrobble on sync-only. Definitely not a benefit worth sacrificing battery life for, imo! And I guess I actually enjoy watching the stat bump (comparing before/after last-7-days) after 50 scrobbles are added.
  • edited August 2014
    I think it bothers me less now than when I started the last.fm profile, when I was checking more often to see what moved.
  • Interesting discussion. Yes I'd go for a massive iPod too, as mine in only 30 GB. I keep hoping it will eventually die so that I can justify another, bigger one. Also intrigued by GP getting a range of tracks on his iPod from his wife and daughter. My wife has all my music form the iTunes cloud on her iPhone 4, yet it hasn't appeared on mine. Strange as we purchased them at the same time. Many of the tracks are free things form Apple that I have actually deleted from iTunes, so they must be from the Cloud. It also means I can't get away with paid downloads from iTunes without her knowing - at some point I will have to get her to change her settings!
  • @greg, as Katrina suspected above, that part was to do with us only using one iTunes account between us. This has some advantages - like not having to pay twice for apps that my wife and I both use on our ipads. And the list of rogue songs that I noted above is all the music that any of us have bought on iTunes in recent years (oddly with one whole album I can think of missing) - not a long list, so the downside is not huge. But it does mean that when iCloud went weird on me I got music I didn't recognize.
  • We have one iTunes account for the same reason - so apps etc can go across all our devices. It is also easier as we use the same computer.
  • edited August 2014
    @GP: O goody, I was hoping that rec from another iTouch user would help...since I don't have one and can't confirm similar behavior with my iPhone since I only manually sync it

(NEVER, ANYMORE, WHATSOEVER since I won't upgrade to iTunes 11 for my ipods. Well actually I know a trick to get my windows ITL over onto the Mac and use v11 but that's a winter project, for a cold November rain to quote Axl)

but it's a variation of an old Apple bug of quitting at the first bad file it encounters. Really, what are their QC testers doing, letting that stuff slide through? I mean, without even a message on the errant file? Sloppy. Lazy programmers.

@Karg-never realized there was an on-device scrobbler but I agree, not worth battery time in general but I might look into it if I decide to play tracks using my phone. I did pick some stellar tracks to put on it before the new iOS 7 & forced upgrade to v11 killed the deal.

But an ipod is so much better for music, not that I get many calls, but when I'm listening to music perhaps I don't WANT a call or even a notion of a call. I am one of those persons who can ignore a ringing phone (LOL, many cannot) but interrupting my music would just piss me off. OMG, I am still dreaming of a 2TB ipod.

@greg, most families have one itunes account and for the most part it's smooth sailing (barring the bratty teen/clueless children under 13 who should not even be on there) except there have been some pretty funny posts on Apple Discussions from ppl getting divorces over who gets the account. Hahaha. Guard your password well, is all I can say. Whoever has the password, wins. Doesn't matter what credit card is paying.
    Also I think I read about a lawsuit of heirs fighting over an itunes library.
  • My daughter was on my iTunes account for a couple early-teen years; I still have that song by The Fray among my most-played tracks.
  • I wasn't sure before whether or not iTunes hated me, but know I know for sure.

liveblog0878.jpg
  • edited September 2014
    Well I'd like to get that actually. But it shows purchased in the iTunes store with instructions to go to your purchased page and download it - but it does not show on my purchased page, or in the downloadable tracks in the music app on my devices, so I am confused now.

Plus, the "purchased" tab under iTunes Store on iTunes on my PC now suddenly includes a whole load of albums that I DEFINITELY did not purchase from iTunes (many were free from Guvera, some are bandcamp). Why would that happen?

ETA, well the U2 showed up on my iPad...but not at all on my iPod touch, with (as far as I can tell) exactly the same settings enabled (?!?) ...reddit discussion suggests that after I download it there it might appear in my iTunes purchased page...not for me so far...congrats to Apple on making the big promotion laborious and annoying. Makes me never want to try to download music from them again.

I'd still love to know why random stuff is showing on my purchased page though.
  • Yeah, seems buggy. I got around it by refreshing, and clicking the button in the half-second it said "Free" before it switched to the grayed-out "Purchased". That worked on my laptop, but it's obviously a messed up interface currently.
  • It took awhile, but when I found my purchases actually in the iTunes store rather than in iTunes it was there and could be downloaded.

Craig
  • 'ts funny, just showed up in my library...Assumed it was a mistake at first. That's what led me to post it here.

New iTunes trick is adding "Cloud" versions of purchases that are already in my library - ??? Thus I have 2 copies of albums interspersed, track by track. Not really a problem since I'm not DL'ing them, but would rather they were not there. In at least one case, it's a 128 kb version of an album I previously upgraded.

I guess retiring the Classic means I'm not going to get my 1 TB iPod. I'm tempted to buy a new 160 GB Classic before they disappear, maybe retailers will have good prices.
  • edited September 2014
    You can turn off it showing cloud albums somewhere in settings. And the album did eventually show up in purchased on the PC.