Rolling still cheap on Amie Street thread

edited August 2009 in General
Given the price increases at eMu, I'm sure most of you are looking for other ways to fuel your music Jonze.
Many of us are spending more time on Amie Street, so I thought it might be good to have a thread where we
post good albums we find there that are still cheap. What is cheap? I'll say around $3-$3.50 or less.

Remember that utilizing Amie Street's frequent credit sales (50% or 25% off) and extra credit RECs drives the
price down even further - I calculate that I get about $2.60 worth or credit for every real dollar the put in my
account. Your mileage may vary.

When possible, write descriptive a line or two the help the curious:

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Quadrajets (Sympathy for the Record Industry) - 2 albums here. They have been described as the Stooges meet Lynyrd Skynyrd. Would be a good one to crank on the car stereo while driving fast.

Currently going for about 20 cents a track.
  • Detroit garage rock from The Detroit Cobras. It's covers (that's almost all they do), but it's good stuff.

Craig
  • Did anyone else get the email from AmieStreet that starting very soon, you will not be allowed to redownload tracks, except for technical glitches? Just another reason to back up regularly.
  • That email went to everyone. There's a stickie at the top of this board, and it was noted at eMu, too.
  • Doh, that's what happens when you miss a few days on here and no longer go on eMu boards. Must have been the accusatory tone in their e-mail.
  • frogkopf - glad to see that you posted this thread, and I hope lots of members with wide musical tastes will post here so I can draw on it to find good stuff to supplement my downloads that were cut in half by that other place. This thread can give people a chance to recommend an AmieStreet bargain they think is particularly good when they may not otherwise be able to do so (as in when they're out of recs and haven't bought any more, or when they see an album they know is great but can't recommend it on AmieStreet because they didn't buy the album there).

Here's a few good to excellent albums that I found which can still be had at a bargain price:

Ghost Notes by Matthew Barber. Canadian folk-rock singer-songwriter with a very pleasant voice who writes intelligent lyrics with memorable melodies. I would pay full price for this CD, but snagged it at AmieStreet after hearing the song "Easily Bruised" on Amazon. It's a real bargain at $3.31 currently (or you can download the track "Easily Bruised" for free at Amazon, and the track "One Little Piece of My Love" for free at Paste, and reduce the AmieStreet price to $2.70).

AmieStreet also has Barber's EP Side Notes, which is also excellent. Here's another one I would pay regular price for in a record store to get. A 5-track EP at 27 cents a track for a total of $1.35. You can get it at that "other place," but why would you want to pay more there for it?

Newcastle UK 24-05-03 by Eddi Reader is a 2-CD live recording that is very good. A lot of the songs included here are Robert Burns songs, sung beautifully by Reader, who has a very lovely voice. One of the non-Burns songs is an excellent cover of Tim Buckley's Dolphins. 21 tracks for $2.95 makes it a real bargain.

Red by Mike Kavanaugh. A good folksy blues CD infused with plenty of bluesy guitar breaks throughout. I only have a small complaint of this CD - I wish Kavanaugh's vocals were not quite so fuzzy as they are on all the tracks except a couple of songs. I suppose since not every track sounds this way, that it is an intentional thing, but I would have liked it all better if the vocals were more clear and not fuzzed. This small gripe is not enough for me to dislike the album, though. And it's certainly well worth the $1.82 you'll pay at AmieStreet for it.

The Crack O'Noon Club by Jim Hunter. Now this is exactly the kind of CD I used to be able to discover by taking a chance over at that other place when downloads were cheaper. Jim Hunter is, of all things, a Scots Highlander who plays the blues. I thought the samples sounded so-so, but perhaps promising, perhaps not - I would never spend my valuable downloads on something like this now. But at AmieStreet's price, I took the chance after reading up on who this guy was and finding quite a few very favorable reviews on 'Crack O'Noon Club. Favorable reviews are a good indicator, but still are no guarantee that I will like it. I downloaded it. Started listening. The first track sounded a little strange at first. But at least I didn't spend a lot on it. As the CD kept playing, I began to change my mind. Wow - this is good stuff. Really good stuff! fter listening to it once through, I played it a 2nd time. Yeah, really good stuff. Standout tracks are "Crazy Days," "Waterfall," "Howling at the Moon," "Bitter Sweet" and "Close to the Truth." But it's all really fine stuff. It's definitely worth its current price of $2.11. I would venture to say I would probably even pay full price for this CD.
  • I decided to dig a bit deeper on Amie for electronic stuff and found some gems!

Tectonic Plates vol. 2 is an excellent recent compilation that I'd already purchased elsewhere, but for only $2.87 is worth pointing out for you lot!

Future Disco - another comp, also excellent, has some truly great tracks including a 71 minute mix and it's only just crept up over $5!

I'll add some more when I get a chance, but have to do some work now :-(

Also, is there a label search function over there? That would be handy.

And I didn't get the email about redownloading, so it may not have gone to everyone after all.
  • The new Julian Plenti is up, and cheap. For now.

I'm not a huge Interpol guy, but for under $2 I can't say no!

Craig
  • One artist that is a must have that is still cheap is Calla. It's Ennio morricone meets 3 am Alt -South Western/Country. Very cool dark arid desert vibe.

Everything they have out is worth getting. Yancey admitted they were one of his favorite groups too.
  • New album by The Shazam just turned up - should be more power-pop goodness.

Also, a Hope Sandoval single - she was the singer in Mazzy Star.
  • Available now is Odiorne's "Heavy Wish", an excellent album which I've owned for a couple years now. It's led by one of the original members of Mercury Rev, and includes some guest appearances and production work by some of Rev. If you liked "Boces", and (to a lesser extent) "Yrself is Steam", get this album no matter what the price is. I'm not sure that it's available on emusic, though their original EP was last I looked.
    Let's try a link...

http://amiestreet.com/browse/new#/music/odiorne/heavy-wish/
  • Finally getting some new things on Amie. I snagged this album from Blue Foundation, but three have been added. I don't know anything about them except that one of the songs on this album was used on So You Think You Can Dance a couple months ago and I remember liking what I heard. Yes, I watch So You Think You Can Dance, but it's the only reality show I watch, so that makes it okay...right?

Anyway, sorry I can't give more info on the album, but I'm just so excited to see new stuff on Amie after the dry last couple of weeks!

Craig
  • a lot of great stuff landing from mainstream records. i've maxed out my freebies. :) but now i can't get more. :( hopefully they'll still be landing tomorrow. :) the mainstream stuff is also landing at emu. :|
  • @Craig - I watch SYTYCD, too. I also happened to snag that and another Blue Foundation album without even realizing they had been on the show. I enjoyed the samples.

@amclark2 - When you said mainstream records, I thought you meant mainstream, not Mainstream...
  • Well, there was a Third Eye Blind album. That's got to be mainstream! (Note: I refreshed when that album was "just now" and it started at $1.80. I had to get it anyway.)

On the Blue Foundation, the track was "Eyes on Fire" and it is one of maybe two or three songs that have ever been on that show that I had to look into because I liked it and it was unknown to me. I wish my work computer had more than just a lousy sound card in it, because I can't remember the first thing about how the song actually sounded.

Craig
  • Wow Amie has been insane over the last couple of days, and it's still coming. I don't know about anyone else, but I simply can't keep up.

I did add Matt & Kim's 2008 album.

Craig
  • Unfortunately I'm down to $1.34 over there, and haven't caught anything free today. Wish I had added more during the last 50% sale.
  • It doesn't look like any of this stuff is coming in free.

I still have about $12.00 but am passing on a lot of stuff I might like anyway. May have to cash in some RECs I have outstanding.

Craig
  • I added another 10 bucks when the White Rabbits showed up. Not to be greedy or anything, but if they gave this to me free, I would accept it. Expecting me to pay money is unreasonable...
  • edited August 2009
    Good call. I snagged White Rabbits as soon as it hit eMusic and haven't regretted it for a minute.

Amie Street may have underestimated the site traffic this would generate. The website appears to be farked.

EDIT: Seems to be back up now.

Craig
  • Hi everyone !

This is my very first emuser post.

Vanessa Mae - The Violon Player

- Classical pop with excellent violin. (still cheap)
  • The site is totally screwed up. I tried for 2 freebies, said they were now paid, I opted not to and refreshed. Several minutes later they were still being listed as free.

Holy carp - I can't get anything to go through. It takes 5 minutes and then I get a "Cannot process order". Maybe they should stop dumping everything and fix their freakin' site.
  • Wow, I can't believe just how screwed up things are over there. It took me 20 minutes to buy The Gambler EP from Mike Doughty - and that wasn't a freebie. I had to keep trying to buy each track 3 or 4 times before it would go through. The new releases are a mess because they aren't putting full albums up there right away. Practically every album I checked this morning only had 1 track, and now they're cycling through again for completion.

I bet there will be a lot of people pissed off because they thought they bought complete albums but didn't...
  • >Wow, I can't believe just how screwed up things are over there.

There are about 20 new albums a minute right now, and most are starting at 15 cents a track. I haven't been able to snag much of anything for free, I thought I had the Jim Lauderdale album, but by the time the java app popped up it was 15 cents. Several times I bought a track at 15 cents and tried to rec it, and it was already up to 29 cents. I did get a couple of Gov't Mule cheap, along with Louden Wainwright III's double album and a couple of Patti Griffen's I was missing.

in other news, by F5 key is worn out now.
  • I had to go meet with a client for a couple hours. Did I miss anything new?

Craig
  • edited August 2009
    southern lord stuff is just starting to show up en masse. things're really hoppin over there!
  • Buddy Miller and Tom Russell, other stuff from Hightone Records. Lots of Jazz, I cherry-picked a few tracks to sample later.
  • over on emu, anose said:
    If you wondered why Amie has gone batshit insane over the last 24 hours, here's your reason.

RED Distribution - Sony's Distribution arm - interestingly, some of these labels (like Megaforce and Relapse) pulled out of emu before the Sony drop.
  • I don't think any of the RED stuff is coming in free. I'm pretty sure it all starts at 15 cents. The only time I've seen any of it listed as free was when their server was shitting bricks.

Still some good deals going on, but it was real frustrating for awhile. They're still fixing all of the partial albums that were put up earlier. Lots of Cirque du Soleil soundtracks and Southern Lord releases in particular were only 1 track this morning and now appear complete.
  • >I don't think any of the RED stuff is coming in free.

The HypeBot Article seemed to say that it was added at 15 cents, and, I would add from my observation, the price doubles pretty fast. Most are 25-30 cents within a few minutes, so no adding a rec for something that might go to 50 or 60 cents. I doubt many of these things will go beyond 40 cents -- at that point it is still cheaper than eMusic, usually higher bitrates although I can't really compare files.

IMHO, AmieStreet just took a giant step at taking eMusic's lost business.